Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:38 am 

People hating on Amon Amarth. This was a metal forum, right?

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:33 pm 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
People hating on Amon Amarth. This was a metal forum, right?

Are you really saying what I think you're saying? Just because the band is metal, no one here can have a negative opinion on them? This is indeed a metal forum, and you know what forums are used for? Debating and discussing topics. It would be pretty damn dull on here if everyone loved every metal band and had no conflict of opinion.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:12 pm 

The title track is up on their website for streaming and free downloading. Unfortunately it says there's an application error whenever I try to open the site; might just be too busy at the moment.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:44 pm 

Razakel wrote:
The title track is up on their website for streaming and free downloading. Unfortunately it says there's an application error whenever I try to open the site; might just be too busy at the moment.

They have an alternative link up. Song is actually pretty good. The opening riff is more of a standard MDM riff than an AA riff, but they bring it hard with the chorus and the song finishes up really nice.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:44 pm 

The title track builds upon what they did with Surtur Rising. I was reminded mostly of "War of the Gods" and "A Beast Am I". The intro, which is revisted, later featured harmonized guitars, which I hope is explored more later.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:45 pm 

Here's the other link: http://official.fm/tracks/H8oa

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:46 pm 

I really like the song, it feels a bit fresh compared to Surtur. The main riff is pretty damn solid, I'm excited for this.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:05 pm 

Never understood the hate about Amon Amarth, maybe it's because of how people tend to call them "viking metal" when clearly it doesn't really define them except lyrically. At the end of the day, it's still melodic death.
To me, they've been the same since their debut, "Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds", but like most metal bands, they constantly evolve sticking to that vintage sound that they own

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:09 pm 

It does quite a bit in just over four minutes. I'm digging those key changes between the harmonized intro/reprise, main verse riff, and the bridge riffs. Nothing unheard of, but "fresh" is indeed a good word to describe it. Good enough to stand alone as a solid Amon Amarth song and not just as an album opener.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:15 pm 

Man, I just seem to like nothing new from those bands that I really, really DO like... first Sodom underwhelmes with two meh songs, then that Satan track, now this...

This doesn't even come near those damn awesome songs from "Twilight of the Thundergod" or the better ones from "Sutur Rising" like "Destroyer of the Universe" or "War of the Gods"... the melody is just not that good.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:15 pm 

Here is the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-dkYms ... e=youtu.be

I was actually quite surprised by the sound. It began more melodic than I expected. I'm really digging it, though. Sounds a little more like With Oden on Our Side than Surtur Rising to me.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:27 pm 

Ugh, that song sucked. Not only did they not tread any new ground (I'm saying that with very lax standards), but they chose to go for straight banality. Its melodies were all right, but it had none of the power of before. Remember SR's opener? They had that as their teaser and it ruled. This is only the first song revealed, but it wasn't a good indicator. "Fresh" is NOT how I'd describe this, or sounding like WOOOS.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:29 pm 

So excited for the album after hearing that song. It really is a good stand alone track for them...definitely feels refreshing and strikes a different tone than anything I can remember from Surtur Rising, the only album of theirs I actually don't really like. I can see how one could criticize the album art here as well but c'mon, its metal haha Kind of just adds to the cheesy side of things, who cares. Really hoping this track is a sign of things to come. I thought "War of the Gods" was excellent but most of Surtur Rising ending up sucking.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:29 pm 

Peroy wrote:
matras wrote:
That people still listen to AA boggles my mind.

Idiots. All of them. :)

You two should get a room. :oh shit:

That people say that a good album (or several) become bad over the passage of time just because a band is overhyped and starts releasing albums in autopilot is beyond me. So once a band shits out a crapper the rest immediately assumes the smell and starts reeking alike right?!

I'll check out the entire album when it comes out, this is one which a couple of tracks can't make me have an opinion.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:39 pm 

Peroy wrote:
matras wrote:
That people still listen to AA boggles my mind.

Idiots. All of them. :)

"People are stupid for liking things that I don't like!"

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:49 pm 

Digging the track, can't wait to hear the full album!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:20 pm 

Agreed with OzzyApu. Shit sucks. The main riff is a straight up third rate melodic death metal riff and the chorus melody is only slightly better. The solo is...there. The whole production sounds hollow and the drums sound bad. Even the vocals are starting to just sound tired, striving more to sound Amon Amarthy than actually vicious and memorable. I'll probably pass on this.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:29 pm 

The song started out ok but ended up being awesome. Can't wait for this album!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:31 pm 

Disagreed entirely with Necro and Ozzy. I think Johan essentially sounds better with each album, don't really see how you could call the vocals "tired", it's basically the same thing he's been doing forever. I'm not going to argue that this is anything new, but I think it's a good Amon Amarth song in the same vein as the last few albums, which is exactly what I expected. Decently catchy, love the breakdown at 1:57, good back-to-back leads in the second half. It's not one of their best songs, maybe not really even one of their better songs, but I think it's fine.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:56 pm 

I like the cover. Something meaningful at least.

But I agree that Amon Amarth is becoming too pop-like, a caricature of themselves. It's as if they write they albums to be sung along in concert, and not to be heard, headbanged, enjoyed musically.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:15 pm 

ahr888 wrote:
It's as if they write they albums to be sung along in concert, and not to be heard, headbanged, enjoyed musically.

*gasp*

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:18 pm 

Just finished listening to the new song twice, I think it kicks major ass and is a sign that the new album will do the same.

Skurge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:38 pm 

I liked it. *shrug*

Good times, buying the album, etc. etc.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:04 pm 

I think this band started to lose it with Twilight, now i see kids at the mall wearing AA shirts. oh welp.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:13 pm 

pastafarian wrote:
I think this band started to lose it with Twilight, now i see kids at the mall wearing AA shirts. oh welp.

Those damn kids! >:[

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:16 pm 

Song is acceptable, I guess. It has its moments but they're capable of more. I always blew off Amon Amarth for the most part, but I'm seeing them live in July so I'm warming up to their material. This is ok.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:25 pm 

I was going to call them the DragonForce of death metal, but that wouldn't be correct. It's not death metal.

I really, really liked DragonForce's debut (and DragonHeart). It was well made, and they had their own style. Then they just kept making the same album over and over, but without the good songs. I really, really liked OSftGH (and Sorrow...), but now they are just making Versus the World over and over again.

It's not that I think bands should change for the sake of changing either, Dismember IS one of my favourite bands after all.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:17 pm 

Listened to the song a few more times. It absolutely slays.

Also, I really don't get the people saying AA stagnated with Twilight. I think it's a brilliant album. In fact, it's my favorite one from them.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:44 pm 

I was always a selective fan of theirs so I'm not familiar with their entire catalogue (especially the more recent albums) but this seemed not like the AA I once knew. That guitar tone! It wasn't fuzzy enough? No? Either way, I think the song wasn't that bad. The verse riff seems rehashed so that didn't really make me want to pay attention. The only parts of the song that I sort of enjoyed were after the first bridge (if you can call it that) which included the solo and as it tapered off towards the end. Nothing truly novel so it gets a lukewarm response from me.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:48 pm 

The beginning reminded me of Dethklok or Scar Symmetry. Pretty good stuff :np:

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:54 pm 

I quite like the song. Was much more straightforward than I expected it to be, but I liked it nonetheless.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:02 pm 

I'm a sucker for this band. I'll be buying it no matter what.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:31 pm 

LOL at people complaining about proportions and angles and lines etc. It's a silly artwork but isn't that what we expect by now? looking forward to this

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:35 pm 

There isn't enough awesomeness to cancel out the silliness like usual, so retarded proportions actually stand out

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:28 pm 

This band, while not bad per se, is thoroughly uninteresting. They've been writing the same song for years now: thrashy verse riff, melodic tremolo chorus riff, bridge riff following a simple progression as background for the solo, rinse and repeat. Yawn.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:44 am 

Not that much of a Amon Amarth Listener, but the songs I've heard, I've really liked. This was...Melodic, but unmemorable as fuck. Didn't even notice that it was finished. Second time listening, it seems way too short. I guess this is one album I can sit out of listening to fully. Oh well.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:41 am 

Seems more melodic than Surtur Rising and it certainly provides evidence for a theory that one of my bandmates has about Amon Amarth essentially being power metal with growls. I can dig it though.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:34 am 

The new song has left me with a very mixed feeling. As per usual, Johan Hegg's vocals are top notch, no fault there. The structure of the song is pretty solid and fair, but the guitars are what is leaving me unsure. The riffs seem to be standard melo-death with a hint of power, which isn't really a compliment as far as I'm concerned. The tone of the guitars also sound somewhat weak. So I can't say I'm looking too forward to the album with this as a first impression. But then, I didn't like "War of the Gods" from Surtur Rising, so maybe it's just a case of the single being less interesting than the rest of the album.

The intro and chorus riff is certainly catchy (that duh-duh-duh-duhduhduuuh). I'm not sure if I truly like it or not, but it does stick in my head.

I do like what they were going for with the solo though. A sort of slow, glorious lead akin to the solos in "Victorious March" and "Arson", though it isn't as good as those two songs.

Last edited by BloodSacrificeShaman on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuyOne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:39 am 

This song fits the AA formula to song writing to a T. You can predict exactly what's going to happen in the song. Melodic riff, tremolo chorus, repeat, etc. It has been the same for awhile. But I still do enjoy it and I'll still purchase the album.

The band has just done the same thing over and over again. It is pretty safe to say it'll be a solid album even if it is predictable. That's just the way Amon Amarth is.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 am 

I don't know what you guys are talking about I think the cover is awesome! I really liked Twilight of the Thunder God but have yet to hear Surtur Rising. This new song was pretty nice though even if It's very melodic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next