Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 pm 

It sounds so PROTO! So ancient! So precious! I wish I could own it in my hands.
"Leader Of The Pack" is one of the most incredibly dynamic songs you'll ever hear.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:50 pm 

What the fuck is up with In the Beginning by Malice? One of the most uneven albums I've heard in a while. Rockin With You is probably the worst possible choice to start an album off. There's some really good songs and some really awful pieces of junk.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:09 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Man, Vault's No More Escape rules hard. Wish I would have checked them out sooner.

That was a great album, although it still felt as if they could have refined and developed on its ideas on further releases. Although 'Sword of Steel' is very good, it's still somewhat disappointing that they seem to have become a bit more straightforward than on NME in the process of becoming more focused. At the same time, the latter record does remind me of Commander's 'The High 'N' Mighty,' so it can definitely be appreciated.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:35 pm 

I dunno, I think you're kind of letting the perfect be the enemy of the good here. You can speculate that any band could have refined and developed their ideas on further releases, but the vast majority of bands don't release anything nearly as good as No More Escape or Sword of Steel. They represent an unusually keen honing of basic heavy metal - the band manages to be very conventional and very original at the same time, and have an incredible sense of timing and structure. Riffs change at the exact right moment, structures are unpredictable and exciting, everything just falls into place perfectly. There are only a few other bands I can say that about (Grudge and Medieval are two others). I consider both of Vault's albums to be classics, and while I certainly don't consider them entirely faultless, I feel lucky that they were released at all, and that we're able to hear them.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 pm 

^This isn't a substantial post from me, really, just a really heavy nodding in support of failsafeman's thoughts. Perfectionism is one of the best ways to never release anything, seems to me. It's particularly awesome when there ARE essentially faultless albums, but that would only leave us with like six things (probably a handful more than that) to listen to. Oblivion's demo, for example, would never be heard by anyone, and that would be sad. Also, as far as innovation goes, it's those moments of fault in an otherwise great piece that can inspire a musician to take a ball and run with it, to do themselves what the other guys didn't. Alternatively, there are times when an artist deviates from a general theme and THAT could inspire someone else. Leaving some of the imperfect things in is a net gain whereas scrapping the project entirely because it isn't perfect wastes what good there was.

edit: also, there are some composers or performers who are so fucking good that it makes absolute comparisons moot; more or less the Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson equivalents of metal. But just because someone isn't as objectively good as them doesn't mean they shouldn't play the game at all. It would be dumb to see Michael Jordan play Magic over and over again. Besides .. Magic needs a team to be awesome, but my metaphor is tortured at this point...

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:11 am 

One of the speedy tracks of Rocka Rollas upcoming album!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNdjLzYJitQ

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:37 am 

I always enjoy your stuff, Rocka.

I do feel like this track is a little all over the place and that it could be more focused, but there are some fantastic ideas spread throughout. Keep it up man.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:43 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Good aggressive Speedmetal fella, this is what I like to hear. I like the vocals hes using here too, has more of an edge. Whens the album done?

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 am 

I guess soon, and should be released in summer! I hope. Will be released together with the Blazon Stone album as well.

SmileyZA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:12 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Holy shit this song is fucking awesome! Exactly what I was looking for.

Can anyone recommend anything similar?
I'm looking for a good speed/power metal album that's aggressive, thrashy and full of solos.
I know the following already:
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Helloween
Iced Earth
Dragonforce

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 am 

Then you should quickly get into these as well;

Skelator
Steel Assassin
Helstar
Scanner
Rage

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:27 pm 

So, I haven't looked through the thread much since it's fifteen thousand posts long, so I don't know if it's been done before, but technical/frantic heavy metal, or old styled PM I guess too.

I'm not a big heavy metal or early power metal guy, I usually find it quite flat and unimposing compared to more extreme variants, which is something I have in thrash too, which got me thinking. I really, really, like my techno thrash, so maybe there is some heavy metal which approaches their genre with the same mindset. Most thrash bands like to put in a bunch chuggy thrash breaks, or cleaner speed metal parts, some catchier hooks, or just generally mid paced stuff to add variation to their sound, I like the bands like Sadus, Hellwitch and Aspid who basically say "fuck that" and just play at a billion miles and hour and make all their riffs twisted and manic. To look in heavy metal terms, I'm quite fond of the more over the top, uptempo and noodlier riffs, and extended solo sections, such as Iron Maiden's instrumental parts, some of the more uptempo passages from Ample Destruction, and Manilla Road's sections where they just rock out like crazy people. Sadly, every single heavy metal or early power metal band I know who does these cool spaz out parts also likes to put in simple, mid paced hooky grooves, and lots or power chord driven "anthems", and that stuff 99.9 of the time just doesn't work for me, and leaves me pretty bored after a few minutes. So basically I was wondering if there were any bands that spent like 90% of their time playing noodlier, quicker riffs in place of all the traditional arena rock stuff. I wish I could give you some examples, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the genre, and it's quite possible it doesn't actually exist.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 pm 

Im not sure if i understood correctly what you are looking for, but for starters you could try

Hibria Nonconforming minds
Lord Betrayal blind

Both bands have been heavily in my rotation lately,both have good catalogs and Lord's digital lies would probably be my release of the year.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:09 am 

Well Hibria seem to have the right approach that I'm going for, with every riff being made out of at least a few notes, and the chorus is a big lead melody, and everything that isn't that is solo, which pretty much what I want, but I'd probably aim towards to something less modern in style with a bit less modern chug work. I might try out some stuff off the debut and see if it's a bit closer.

Lord is pretty close, the chorus is mostly power chords which is what I was trying to avoid, and the whole thing is probably a bit too power metal, although the verse riff is pretty much exactly what I'm going for.

Edit: Steel Lord on Wheels is awesome as, definitely going to try this album.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:08 am 

So, reasonably technical power metal without the mid-tempo rockier numbers?

Helstar's 1980s stuff after the debut would fit the bill (the debut is excellent, but it's more mid-tempo with a lot of 1970s Priest-isms). But the stuff after that is technical and features no mid-tempo, stomping anthems. The King is Dead

Similarly, Liege Lord's last album might work. Lots of flashy instrumental parts and minimal mid-pace stuff (alright there's one song on the album). Master Control.

If that's up your street there's probably more of it than you might have previously thought.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:09 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I'm not a big heavy metal or early power metal guy, I usually find it quite flat and unimposing compared to more extreme variants, which is something I have in thrash too, which got me thinking. I really, really, like my techno thrash, so maybe there is some heavy metal which approaches their genre with the same mindset. Most thrash bands like to put in a bunch chuggy thrash breaks, or cleaner speed metal parts, some catchier hooks, or just generally mid paced stuff to add variation to their sound, I like the bands like Sadus, Hellwitch and Aspid who basically say "fuck that" and just play at a billion miles and hour and make all their riffs twisted and manic. To look in heavy metal terms, I'm quite fond of the more over the top, uptempo and noodlier riffs, and extended solo sections, such as Iron Maiden's instrumental parts, some of the more uptempo passages from Ample Destruction, and Manilla Road's sections where they just rock out like crazy people. Sadly, every single heavy metal or early power metal band I know who does these cool spaz out parts also likes to put in simple, mid paced hooky grooves, and lots or power chord driven "anthems", and that stuff 99.9 of the time just doesn't work for me, and leaves me pretty bored after a few minutes. So basically I was wondering if there were any bands that spent like 90% of their time playing noodlier, quicker riffs in place of all the traditional arena rock stuff. I wish I could give you some examples, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the genre, and it's quite possible it doesn't actually exist.

You might be interested in Arcane, who play in a fairly technical speed metal-esque style. (Sample.) The Greek Deceptor (sample 1, 2) may also be to your interest. Fates Warning's 'The Spectre Within' might be applicable, but you're probably already aware of it.

Quote:
I dunno, I think you're kind of letting the perfect be the enemy of the good here. You can speculate that any band could have refined and developed their ideas on further releases

Not sure that that's necessarily the case, many bands don't display the same amount of ideas as on 'No More Escape,' and if it would be correct to say that any number of generic obscure bands from the 80s could have improved on further albums, this wouldn't necessarily be a matter of simply organising the ideas which they already have into a more solid album. NME was a relatively experimental album for the genre, albeit one which was still fairly raw in execution, hence the comment.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 am 

ANA, your wording of it is pretty close, and I think your examples can help me define it a little better since I don't know exactly what I want. To add to your pretty dead on description I'll add "preferably with extended busy instrumental sections, either riffing or solos". As for your two recs, Leige Lord definitely had my wanted energy and extended complex musical section (that solo is like a minute of pure awesomeness) but the riffs themselves were pretty simple.chord progressions. I gues Hibria I talked about earlier also do also, but they've got more flair around the edges. Helstar have the intricate riffing I wanted, but was a little low on energy and could have done with a longer solo. Something that combined Leige Lords energy and structuring with the riffing chops of Helstar.

Eagle I'll get onto yours next.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:52 am 

Ok 2Eagle, I've been through yours now,a nice companion to ANAs, as he got pretty close on the PM side and you got the heavy metal side pretty nicely. Arcane were good, generally quick, great solo, riffs could be more intricate but they're not too faceless. Deceptor were at many times exactly what I wanted, long songs with heps of riffs and solos and instrumental sections, with plenty of energy in the form of thrashy beats. On the other hand they do a decent amount ofthe stuff I am specifically trying to avoid, the most easily pointed out example being the first parts of the second sample which is mostly a plodding riff, then a power chord driven vocal hook. Luckily it picks up after that, maybe the riffs aren't the absolute best, but the drumming adds some refreshing energy. And yes I do know Fates Warnings stuff, I never liked them and they had a lot of the stuff I am avoiding here, at least from my memories of them.

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Yeah, I heard some of that. Quite easily some of the worst power metal I've ever heard. Fuck Napalm records.

Thanks! I try my best to please :)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:54 am 

I'm not sure you're even trying at this point, though, fella. :P

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 pm 

Been Listening to Demona's full length and this is a great album. the title track alone is worth its weight in gold. just look at the guest artists for that one song:
Spoiler: show
song number 9: Special participation of: Gezol (Sabbat/Metalucifer), Thomas Heyer (Wardance), Jorg Juraseck (Warrant), V.O. Pulver (Carrion/poltergeist), Sadra Schumacher (Wardance), Dave Overkill (Destructor), Claudio Bezz (Taurus), Ralf Schmeckel (Medusa)
The song slays, as does the album.

http://demona.bandcamp.com/album/metal-through-the-time

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:54 pm 

SmileyZA wrote:
I'm looking for a good speed/power metal album that's aggressive, thrashy and full of solos.

I've been having fun listening to Persuader the last few days. They worship the fuck out of BG, but do it well. Little short on solos.
Twisted Eyes
Godfather

But NOT short on solos is Angra, though they are short on thrash:
Temple of Hate
They're more epic power, but they're pretty damn good.

So yeah the most appropriate I know is Hibria:
Millenium Quest

edit: wait, what the hell am I thinking!?
PANTERA!!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:26 am 

I'm gonna have to repost this Eternal Champion band because they kick ass. Traditional heavy metal with an epic slant from Austin, opening for Speedwolf/Manilla Road at Chaos in Tejas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HN4uFLrDbc

seriously impressed by these guys. No releases yet, but an EP coming out soon.

SmileyZA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:43 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I've been having fun listening to Persuader the last few days. They worship the fuck out of BG, but do it well. Little short on solos.
Twisted Eyes
Godfather

But NOT short on solos is Angra, though they are short on thrash:
Temple of Hate
They're more epic power, but they're pretty damn good.

So yeah the most appropriate I know is Hibria:
Millenium Quest

edit: wait, what the hell am I thinking!?
PANTERA!!

Thanks man, I will check these out!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:26 am 

New Warlord is solid.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
So, I haven't looked through the thread much since it's fifteen thousand posts long, so I don't know if it's been done before, but technical/frantic heavy metal, or old styled PM I guess too.

You need to hear Eleutheria by Antiquus. Now. As far as one-riff-after-another, twisty, complex power metal goes it doesn't get much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Sa7r8yxg0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZvDf9-ww

It also has probably the best acoustic playing ever on a metal album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ5_3OBaS1U

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 am 

SmileyZA wrote:
Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Holy shit this song is fucking awesome! Exactly what I was looking for.

Can anyone recommend anything similar?
I know the following already:
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Helloween
Iced Earth
Dragonforce

Liege Lord
Attacker
Fates Warning's album No Exit

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:22 am 

Nahsil wrote:
New Warlord is solid.

Just got it in anticipation of seeing them in a couple days live. Been revisiting their older stuff solid over the last couple months.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:12 pm 

Two months after it apparently happened, I find out La Torre left Crimson Glory. It's not surprising, but still disappointing. Seems like we won't hear him on anything decent for quite a while.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:31 pm 

Seeing Liege Lord's hometown show tonight. Anyone else going to be there?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:42 pm 

So has anyone listened to that Eternal Champion band I keep pimping out? Because if not you should :P

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 am 

Oblarg wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

You need to hear Eleutheria by Antiquus. Now. As far as one-riff-after-another, twisty, complex power metal goes it doesn't get much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Sa7r8yxg0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZvDf9-ww

It also has probably the best acoustic playing ever on a metal album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ5_3OBaS1U

The first link didn't play for me for some reason, but Redemption is really good. Lots of wandering instrumental awesomeness and I dig the weird vocalist. Thanks!

Edit: And that acoustic piece is marvelous too, it uses the flair and complexity to create a very enjoyable harmony.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:28 am 

Nahsil wrote:
So has anyone listened to that Eternal Champion band I keep pimping out? Because if not you should :P

Yes. On an almost daily basis. Whenever they release a debut, I hope it'll be as awesome as that.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:39 am 

In MA's opinion, who writes the baddest, most awesomest riffs ever? Helstar, Cauldron Born or Enchanter? :)

I think it's Helstar by slight margin!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:47 pm 

Milo wrote:
In MA's opinion, who writes the baddest, most awesomest riffs ever? Helstar, Cauldron Born or Enchanter? :)

I think it's Helstar by slight margin!

Prodigy. Ample Destruction-era Jag Panzer is an equally great answer.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm 

Helstar's Nosferatu is the best power metal album as far as pure riff oriented things go. Really, the album delivers blazing riff after blazing riff. And the leads on that one are great, too.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:09 pm 

The correct answer is Fates Warning.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:42 pm 

All great answers. It really pains me to leave FW out but it pains me even worse to give the crown to anyone but Helstar. IMO it's the pinnacle of riffing in power metal. However, I must say Enchanter deserves more praise.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

Actually Nahsil, since you're so into that, and this being the rec board, maybe you'll enjoy this.

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 pm 

Just listened to 'Defenders of the Realm' by Enchanter recently. Vocals seem a bit... warbly on the first few tracks, and at their best the guy is pretty much an Arch wannabe, but I guess it's a more noble goal than trying to emulate Tate.
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391 ... 624  Next