Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 am 

693 wrote:
The baby has mask on his face...
It is basically a rip-off of this cover:
as the first one was a rip-off of this cover:
But it doesn't seem like anyone in here knows shit about movies...

You haven't noticed that EVERYTING about Ghost is "a rip-off". The singer is THE POPE for christ's sake!
But I guess it's difficult to spot when you know shit about music.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 am 

What the hell is with those terrible disco beats? Year Zero is worse then the previous song? The guitars are literally doing almost nothing. You know in Forgetting Sarah Marshall where Segal's character is describing the music he plays for those tv shows? Just utterly boring and unimaginative tones, dunnnhhhh, boonnnnng, etc... :lol: That is the Ghost keyboardist right there.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 am 

New songs are kinda cool imo, nothing special, i liked Year Zero the best but the weird intro to Secular Haze its great.
As for the album, havent checked out yet, sounds like its going to be ok (just OK) , I agree with the guy who said Ghost wont last much
I thought that from the start, but hey! at least they have a great debut album!

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:42 pm 

http://gunshyassassin.com/news/ghost-al ... -disc-art/

Blah. A week isn't terrible, but it's still a retarded reason for delaying the record.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:01 pm 

Subrick wrote:
http://gunshyassassin.com/news/ghost-album-delayed-over-controversial-disc-art/
So, I guess the fucking hipster buttdarts of the world have latched on to Ghost...Sad, really, when something you care about is tainted by the tang of Pabst Blue Ribbon, cigarettes, and B.O.

Holy shit that better be some sarcasm, if not that's the most retarded, elitist, reverse-hipster shit I've ever read. Sucks for the delay though.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:18 pm 

Hmmmm...... This is actually my first time listening to them, I guess there is good modern metal.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:28 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Hmmmm...... This is actually my first time listening to them, I guess there is good modern metal.

Not to derail the thread but, ahem:

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 pm 

Portrait are awesome.

Also, Attic.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:

That was pretty good, is there some sort of old school heavy metal revival going on Sweden right now or something?

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 pm 

It's debatable, really. Lots of new heavy bands are popping up all over the place. Gotta dig and listen.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 pm 

If we're talking Swedish trad metal revival, there's also In Solitude.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 pm 

In Solitude kinda suck :/. They're very monotonous, and they bore me to death.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
In Solitude kinda suck :/. They're very monotonous, and they bore me to death.

I thought the same thing for awhile. I didn't like them at first either, but after awhile I started to appreciate them and even become a pretty big fan. The lyrics are absolutely amazing, and I love the creepy "silent film" vibe (don't really know how else to describe it...) that their latest album had. The first album was catchier and more balls-out heavy metal, but the latest one was more atmospheric and had some really unique stuff going on (it was a little more boring, I'll admit), with some death metal vocals and other stuff usually not found in the genre.

Portrait are one of the greatest bands ever, and "Crimen Laesae Majesitatis Divinae" is one of my favorite albums of all time. Certainly an album that will be looked upon very fondly 20 years down the line, when the current metal scene has passed into legend as well.

I was never a huge Ghost fan, but I did enjoy the "Year Zero" video (not so much the song...that was "okay"), so maybe I will listen to the new album.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:16 pm 

The part of the video I dug most was when it transitions from the nuns becoming Nameless Ghouls and the close up of the guy who might be Papa Emeritus in old guy makeup to Ghost performing the song's final chorus.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 pm 

Subrick wrote:
The part of the video I dug most was when it transitions from the nuns becoming Nameless Ghouls and the close up of the guy who might be Papa Emeritus in old guy makeup to Ghost performing the song's final chorus.

I just thought the atmosphere was really effective, and the use of the little boy was very cool and creepy. It reminded me of something that Akercocke would have done, specifically, certain parts of this video. I'm not really sure why, though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 pm 

Also, one of the nuns looked like Julia Stiles with slightly wider shoulders and another looked like the British sister from Melancholia.

EDIT: Also also, another watch of the video shows that the guy in the suit and hat that interacts with the nuns is Papa Emeritus as the forehead indents on that guy and the Papa Emeritus mask are the same.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:19 am 

Year Zero is an OK song imo and the video is pretty cool. The part where there's a jumpcut of one of the nameless ghouls staring directly into the camera with bulging eyes was really well done and creepy. I liked that a lot!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:10 pm 

Well this was your typical "in one ear, out the other". And really really forgetable. Highly doubt anyone will listen to this in, let's say, a year.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:29 pm 

Don't put money on it, pal.

Obligatory Last FM Link

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:31 pm 

Yep the debut was just as faceless and bland, and yet people still blather about it, there will be a huge number of people praising this for years to come.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:25 pm 

I love Tobias Forge.

Last.fm

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:13 am 

Nah I don't know. The debut had a certain je ne sais quoi in my opinion, but from what I've heard of this new album it just sounds ... I don't know ... hollow.
Which isn't to say people will praise it (stranger things have happened than people praising a bad record). I've been wrong before.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:35 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:

This is all good and fun, but....
I think we only need "one" King Diamond, not "ten".

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 pm 

Listen to the whole album, they really create a unique sound of their own, even with the heavy MF/KD influences.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm 

On the contrary, we could definitely use ten King Diamonds.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 am 

Infestissumam has leaked now....

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:58 pm 

The 1:43 long opener is amazing. The rest of the album is blah.

EDIT: Okay, Zombie Queen is fun too.

Last edited by Master_Debater on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:14 pm 

On the second track when Papa goes ' O Satan, hear our desperate calls' I am reminded of some young latin guy who'd be better off in a boy band.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:26 pm 

Infestissumam is not metal at all but I kinda liked it, most of the songs are sort of psychedelic/neo prog oriented.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:04 pm 

I like it a lot and saying it's "not metal at all" is weird, there's obvious metal influences and riffs even if it's not quite heavy. Listen to "Depth of Satan's Eyes". Strong album overall in my opinion.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
On the contrary, we could definitely use ten King Diamonds.

Or, we could really use ten more King Diamond albums.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:33 pm 

I liked this one better than the debut. Not metal, but enjoyable enough.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:37 pm 

I have only been able to listen to a couple of tracks so far, it's seeming much better than the first shitty album, mainly because they're actually trying to do something beyond the most mundane and listless music ever, but like both of the preview tracks, it seems as if dragging songs on forever and ever despite only having one riff and chorus vocal hook is a recurring trend. Still, I think they keys add something to the band, and they're at least trying to sound huge and varied rather than having nothing but lame riffs and terrible vocals in their tool belt, but all the songs I've heard have only got about 90 seconds worth of content in them.

As for the metalness, I don't think the first album was metal either, and this one is even less metal, but there are obviously some traits here and there, not that metalness has any bearing on the limited qualities the band possess.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:08 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I like it a lot and saying it's "not metal at all" is weird, there's obvious metal influences and riffs even if it's not quite heavy. Listen to "Depth of Satan's Eyes". Strong album overall in my opinion.

There are two songs which can be identified as 'metal', the one you mentioned and the other is the second track "Per Aspera Ad Inferi". Now you tell me, if this was Ghost's debut album would they be eligible for MA?
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:15 am 

Probably not, but there's a middle ground to achieve. There's many bands with metal influences that are not on MA. A band like Royal Thunder (that I adore and I was the one who blacklisted them is a good example). Anyway, talking about if it's metal or not is not important and it's a bit petty.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 am 

Metantoine wrote:
(...) Anyway, talking about if it's metal or not is not important and it's a bit petty.

Generally I would agree to the fullest extent, but this is the metal music part of a metal forum.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 am 

I meant that we should discuss the music thoroughly while not concentrating on its metalness.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 pm 

Ghuleh/Zombie Queen, is the contender for song of the year already for me.

Wow. Beautiful and epic.

I don't give a shit if it's metal or not, it's amazing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 pm 

Love the album. Only minor problem I have with it is that Guleh/Zombie Queen sorta drags near the end. Other than that, all around excellent album.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 pm 

Sounds great. Monstrance Clock, Yero Zero and Ghuleh/Zombie Queen are amazing songs. This is better than the first album, way more unpredictable and unconventional, but still comfortable and bold. Went beyond my expectations.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next