Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:50 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Metalfuckingrules wrote:
If this actually does go off successfully, where would their missile land?

Most likely in the Pacific Ocean, because their missile targeting is far behind even US and Soviet missile targeting from the 1960s.

They're going after our seafood. :o
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:57 am 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:

Yet again, these people don't seem to realize that, with every threat, their country gets closer to becoming the biggest piece of glass on the the face of the earth.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:09 am 

Kim Jong un is just a Daddy's boy who is trying to fill his father's militaristic shoes and deliver a threat he felt was never properly carried out. Why doesn't the CIA just fucking kill him already?

On another note, is the Occult Rock trend still happening? From what I understand, it's possibly going to die in the next little bit. Surprising how the trends have worked out over the past couple of years.

PS: essential occult rock bands?

Lol

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:00 am 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Kim Jong un is just a Daddy's boy who is trying to fill his father's militaristic shoes and deliver a threat he felt was never properly carried out. Why doesn't the CIA just fucking kill him already?

Because of the repercussions. I mean, a foreign agency assassinating the head of government would cause international political scandal. And if North Korea ever make the connection, the next guy might decide that America's gone too far and nuke the shit out of the mainland. Even you know that taking out the head of government isn't going to dissolve the country. And you can agree that nuclear holocaust is significantly worse than threats going back and forth.

Sometimes I wonder how people believe that America being the World's Police. Wasn't there a movie made about that or something? :roll:

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:06 am 

Besides, the CIA tried to kill Castro like five hundred times and kept failing. They couldn't do shit to Kim.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:07 am 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
Sometimes I wonder how people believe that America being the World's Police.

Oh, that's just a flashback from the pre-1980's world, when the US and its motives were still viewed favourably by a lot of people.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 am 

Have you ever studied our involvement in the politics of the Reagan era, we are indirectly/directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of Latinos.

Black ops like Operation Condor and other operations in that area of the world have killed many people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_He ... e_Americas

Hell Manuel Noriega and other South American dictators were educated here in the US.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:14 am 

Somewhere, Immortal Technique just got a hard-on.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 am 

Just for those of you out there who are looking for some more death metal to get your teeth into, and what's been spinning my wheels this month or so (some earlier... much earlier), then go dig around amongst this, this (this whole demo rules), and, holy fucking father in hell, this.

My collection

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 am 

You guys saying KJU is just crazy are so deluded. There is a logic to what he's doing that we may not immediately understand, but it's there. KJI did these kinds of things to get aid and money successfully. With all the pressure being put on Iran to dismantle their completely legitimate nuclear programs it's possible KJU felt that to restart previously conceded parts of their nuclear program (one of the announcements they slipped in the midst of the war threats) without getting a lot of push-back that he'd have to create a lot of hubbub about imaginary war scenarios. So far this seems to have worked since they are now working to restart that program and there have been no consequences. America is "more ready" to attack? So what? We've always been ready to attack.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 am 

I don't really think there's ever going to be a war between North-Korea/South-Korea-US. North-Korea just keeps threathening the western world and that's as far as they go. Their missiles don't even go that far that they would threathen the US. Besides, there's no oil in N-K, so why would US be interested? If there was oil, N-K would've been bombed down years ago. America always seems to want some "bad guy" like Saddam and Bin Laden to keep their economy and military industry going. I might be wrong in this thing though...

I don't know how this war would even go. US hasn't been that succesful in their wars since Vietnam. Maybe the North-Koreans would crawl underground and start a guerilla war that would never end. That has always seem to do the trick for US. US maybe has the best guns, but they don't seem to know how to use them. They really should just bomb the shit down of that country, otherwise it just would be an endless road.

Must say though that Kim-Jong-un seems a quite well fed boy. Just like his father was. Feel sorry for the North-Korean people. Maybe the first mission of US would be to terminate the military leaders of N-K if something. Just assassinating their puppet-leader isn't going to do anything.

Mythics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 am 

Not that I really care about the band, but does anyone know why Moloch (Ukr) is banned from MetalArea.org? Been a bit curious about it.
the peacefulness is so big it dazes you.
- Sylvia Plath

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:08 am 

If things ever did come to a head between the US/SKorea and North Korea, I don't think it would be so much North Korea itself that would give Team USA pause as much as raising tension levels with China and possibly coming into conflict with them, which would be bad news for pretty much everyone. Though I'm not absolutely certain that China gives as much of a fuck about North Korea now as they once did. Might they might be willing to look the other way if they got something out of the deal? NK may still be useful for them these days as a proxy threat to the West and a geographic/military meat shield of sorts between them and South Korea.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:27 am 

The downfall of the DPRK government would result in 10-20m refugees flooding into China and South Korea. Neither of them nor their allies want this for many reasons.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:28 am 

China won't sit idly by while NK gets invaded or worse, they probably know this full well, hence the rhetoric.
I don't think people understand the mindset, forget applying your rational as to how they might behave, they will view any retaliation as an act by an imperialist aggressor and unite like never before. The west may have superior fire power but they're catching up in technology - and have the man power to absorb some mighty strikes.

General MacArthur wanted to use extreme measures in the Korean war to end any future threat/problem - he was removed, as many (understandably), in his own government - and especially US allies, wanted no part of it. It was a time when super weapons were seen by some as just any other - there to be used. WWIII could've started only five years after WWII.

In all the books I've read about the Korean conflict, one thing stood out - respect for the Chinese soldiers, they endured so much hardship and fought so bravely and with so little.
Estimates (exaggerated?) at one time put their numbers near 2 million. Imagine what they could field today!

http://www.youtube.com/v/OHZIUdHm6b4

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 am 

This little war game propaganda video is pretty damn funny:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ndgun.html

Gotta love the stirring 1950s-era music combined with the quavering-with-righteous-fervor narration and footage of leaders blandly standing around and fiddling noncommittally.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:16 am 

China's use of force is something that I study, specifically.

A caveat; predicting what will happen is not what I do, I just catalogue what has happened, what individuals say and patterns that relate to it. Stating with affirmation what will happen is a major fallacy, and a fallacy I hope you wont accept as fact. That said, I suspect that China could tolerate the strategic bombing of North Korea by South Korea (and in extension the United States), but would be less inclined to accept the physical presence of South Korean or American soldiers in North Korea. China right now has positioned one of its infantry divisions on the northern border of North Korea, in part, to act as a deterrent for invasion. If there was an active invasion of North Korea that escalated beyond strategic bombing, it is possible that, that infantry division would "take a step forward" (reposition itself) and wait for a response from the invading force.

China's military, and China's overall leadership and interests, are not the same as they were back in the early 1950s. Among the leadership, there really is less ideological interest shared between China and North Korea, and China's interests have drastically moved beyond what North Korea has to offer them. It seems that Chinese policymakers consider North Korea to be a good buffer in what they consider their territorial sphere of influence, and the one main reason for keeping it around is that it is beneficial not to have other powerful states (both in hard and soft power) right on one's border and further laying claim to one's perceived maritime rights.

The other reason for that division being on the northern border of North Korea is one that is more pragmatic. China does not want North Korean refugees, and would take efforts to ensure that wont happen (or, if it is unavoidable, that it is a well managed process).

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:25 am 

Well said. People often forget the politics of a situation, especially with third parties involved, and jump straight to the 'Bomb the fakkers' rhetoric as if it were as easy as it sounds.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:34 am 

I think North Korea just wants a big fat hug from Papa America. And maybe an invitation to join the cool club of countries.

It isn't nice to leave people out, guys.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:51 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
I think North Korea just wants a big fat hug from Papa America. And maybe an invitation to join the cool club of countries.

It isn't nice to leave people out, guys.

So are you calling North Korea the fat kid who was picked last in dodge ball?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:27 pm 

Yeah, I think I am haha!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:36 pm 

Someone put them on their team. We don't want any tears! In all seriousness though, the last info I heard said that North Korea doesn't have the capability to send a missile to the US. I, for one, find it hard to believe that North Korea doesn't have any means to send a missile to the US. Maybe their guidance systems are shitty, but you would think that they have an airplane they could strap a bomb to or something...

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:41 pm 

Sad banana of destiny.

Spoiler: show

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:01 pm 

Daaawwwwww

EDIT: Shit...sudden realization. North Korea may not have the capability to send missiles to the US, but bananas....

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:10 pm 

crack open his face and eat his brains.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:24 pm 

his starchy, cloned brains.

Under_Starmere wrote:
North Korea may not have the capability to send missiles to the US, but bananas....

very small nukes. in food.

OzzyApu wrote:

Fukushima's already doing that. :(

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Fukushima's already doing that. :(

=NORTH KOREA=

We get our best ideas from other Asian countries' worst ones

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:06 pm 

Other than being a decently funny movie Team America World Police shouldn't exist, I don't like the feeling that the country I live in is so willing to jump up and charge into any situation where the all mighty democratic way of life is being threatened. That is what the UN and other organizations are for. If people are suffering we should do what we can when we can to help them but it really isn't our place to jump in and tell the rest of the world how to act and what to do. Personally I think that america/americans get a bad rep for doing this and we should just take a few steps back and cool the fuck out for a while. I'd be interested to hear some opinions from others who don't live in america on what you think when you hear all this shit that we keep doing.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:16 pm 

That movie is good satire. There are plenty of Americans who don't want it to be that way, but we don't get to make the call. Shit, we barely even make the news. In my political science class (the homework I should be doing RIGHT NOW, as a matter of fact) the article I'm reading is on the clash of civilizations and how democracy is arguably not for everyone (South Korea's apparently staggering economic improvement being facilitated directly by mercantile Confucianism, for example). But at this point, democracy's one of the US's only solvent exports, by hook and by crook.

and yes, CrushedRevelation, I WILL be looking at those links!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:30 pm 

The US does not actually export democracy. That's just a justification to pursue economic interests.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:46 pm 

heh .. sorry. You're right. Democracy is not made in one of our many defunct factories.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:35 pm 

I saw Clint Mansell perform selections from his soundtracks (ie. all his most famous songs) with his band and the Sonus String Quartet last night at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles. It was hands-down the most incredible, beautiful concert I've ever attended.

Be jealous.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:42 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
The US does not actually export democracy. That's just a justification to pursue economic interests.

Yeah, the US really wanted these awesome Vietnamese strawberries. Ideological reasons are often stronger than economical ones.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:43 pm 

@The_Orphanizer I don't have to be, I saw him in New York on Wednesday in The Church of St. Paul the Apostle :D Awesome show, for sure. Glad you were able to catch it!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:11 pm 

Now I have to be DOUBLE-JEALOUS!! .. and also, now I want strawberries.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:11 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Yeah, the US really wanted these awesome Vietnamese strawberries. Ideological reasons are often stronger than economical ones.

Isn't the whole reason for the war against socialist countries economic interest? Think about it ^^
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:28 pm 

Right, that's why I called it a solvent export.

Inhumer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:54 pm 

Its crazy how unappreciated Australia seem to be when it come to music, at least here in Murika. Sooo many great fucking bands.

droneriot wrote:
It's a well-known fact that 99% of all metal fans think that everything with electronic elements is industrial.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:07 pm 

So I ran about two miles today for the first time in like 5 years. Man, I feel old and extremely out of shape... Gave me some time to listen to some good tunes though!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:22 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
So I ran about two miles today for the first time in like 5 years. Man, I feel old and extremely out of shape... Gave me some time to listen to some good tunes though!

At least the weather is good for it considering Altoona is only about 40 minutes north of me. I can get used to this temperature as long as the plants don't come back to life too fast and give me fuckin' allergies.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 518  Next