Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
whtvrsllsfvckv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 pm 

does anyone have any suggestions on what releases i should check out from the black legions (mutiilation, vlad tepes, torgeist, etc.) ? i already picked up a couple but since they have so many releases (official/unofficial) between them i dont know what to get next. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

burning_pyre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:03 pm 

Allot of mutiilations discography is pretty solid in my opinion, the Vlad Tepes and Belketre split is awesome, especially belketres half. Though it really depends on what your looking for because the LLN ranged from Raw as fuck Black Metal to some really surreal Dark Ambient/ Soundscape style stuff. In terms of the more experimental, ambient stuff Amaka Hahina i found strangely enchanting and listened to those peculiar sounds for hours, also Moëvöt released a demo called: Ézléýfbdréhtr Vépréùb Zùérfl Màzàgvàtre Érbbédréà which i though to be a really pleasant listen end to end. But its really down to your preferences, personally i found it a joy pouring through each and every demo/ project the LLN spewed forth. Amazing stuff on a whole really, a dedicated group of inspired, if not somewhat twisted musicians creating what they wanted to hear. :) Enjoy

Custom Original artwork/ Logo/ layout designs for bands/ labels etc. Message me on here of my page if interested...

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:25 pm 

Mutiilation - "Hail Satanas We Are the Black Legions"
"Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul"
"Vampires of Black Imperial Blood"
"Rattenkönig" (purists would argue if this is part of LLN...or if they even like it, I think it's a great album)

Torgiest - "Devoted to Satan"

Vlad Tepes - "Brouillons I"

If you like the LLN check out the Black Twilight Circle here in the States as they're really emulating the whole vibe of the LLN but doing some really interesting and new stuff. Also Rhinocervs, Svn Okklt, and Crepúsculo Negro.

You should also check out Celestia and Peste Noire which are direct "descendants" of the LLN (their earlier stuff of course).

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:35 pm 

March To The Black Holocaust is the essential LLN release imo, you should check it you if you haven't

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:46 am 

Vagézaryavtre - Tsaévarya Vagézaryavtre is essential. All you need.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:21 am 

Torgeist's side of the "Black Legions Metal" split was mastered poorly. "Time of Sabbath" was the same recording, and the 2008 Drakkar release sounds much better. "Devoted to Satan" was also re-released then and the sound is good.

Mutiilation's most prominent release is clearly "Vampires..." and I believe that is their best. The later albums aren't quite the same with the drum machine, though many seem to like them and they're worth a listen. I recommend checking out the "Hail Satanas" EP and the "Satanist Stryken" demo, the latter sounds like Mutiilation with a touch of Vlad Tepes in it.

Vlad Tepes put out a lot of good stuff, it's interesting to hear the band's evolution through all the demos. The essentials are the "March..." split, the Broullions I demo (later appeared on the "Black Legions Metal" split), and the "War Funeral March" demo. I would recommend checking out all of their demos if you like the band's style though, the band's evolution is interesting to hear.

The "March.." split is also the most important to hear from Belketre.

All of Aakon Keetreh's odd, guitar-driven dark ambient music is worth a listen, but "Dans la Foret" is clearly the best. Difficult to get into, but it's one of the best demos I've heard.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:50 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Torgeist's side of the "Black Legions Metal" split was mastered poorly. "Time of Sabbath" was the same recording, and the 2008 Drakkar release sounds much better. "Devoted to Satan" was also re-released then and the sound is good.

Mutiilation's most prominent release is clearly "Vampires..." and I believe that is their best. The later albums aren't quite the same with the drum machine, though many seem to like them and they're worth a listen. I recommend checking out the "Hail Satanas" EP and the "Satanist Stryken" demo, the latter sounds like Mutiilation with a touch of Vlad Tepes in it.

Vlad Tepes put out a lot of good stuff, it's interesting to hear the band's evolution through all the demos. The essentials are the "March..." split, the Broullions I demo (later appeared on the "Black Legions Metal" split), and the "War Funeral March" demo. I would recommend checking out all of their demos if you like the band's style though, the band's evolution is interesting to hear.

The "March.." split is also the most important to hear from Belketre.

All of Aakon Keetreh's odd, guitar-driven dark ambient music is worth a listen, but "Dans la Foret" is clearly the best. Difficult to get into, but it's one of the best demos I've heard.

Agreed with this selection of bands. Mutiilation has a long and storied career but all the albums are excellent black metal. All very different, but presenting a logical progression from album to album culminating with a style completely different than the first but containing all the same constituent elements. Fascinating for a black metal adherent.

Personal fan of VT's "Celtic Poetry" as well, has a lot of features not usually associated with LLN bands with long sprawling epics, wicked solos, etc. Nice mesh of ultra raw bm and more traditional metal flashiness.

Reply to topic