Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 pm 

Not sure if it's best to make a thread about this, or just to talk about it in the Movies thread, but I'll go out on a limb and do the former.

Roger Ebert died today at age 70, another victim of cancer. I'm deeply saddened by this, personally. I didn't agree with a lot of his views (both of movies and politics), but I always enjoyed reading his reviews. He was insightful, clever, often poetic, and damned funny. His negative reviews are some of the most scathing, hilarious things I've ever read. His positive reviews had an eloquence to them that could capture the feeling a movie imparted perfectly, and were beneficial both to those who had seen the movie in question and those who hadn't. He also had a deep technical understanding of the craft of making a movie - or so it seemed to me - and this lent his opinions a certain credibility that is so important for a professional critic. Just as - or more - importantly, he had a strong morality that grounded all of his reviews, and a keen insight into what makes a movie connect with us on a basic, human level. In summary, I like his reviews a lot and I'm sad that I'll never see a new one. Rest in peace, Mr. Ebert.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:38 pm 

This is a sad day. The best way we can commemorate this event is by watching the classic reviews he and Siskel did back in the day.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:40 pm 

I already made a post about this on the FFA thread just minutes after you made this thread, but I would like to again give my condolences to his family and loved ones. I would also give my condolences to his longtime/recent fans who are now sadden over his death.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 pm 

Wow, just a couple days ago, he announced he was only going to review movies he liked.

His last written/published words were "I'll see you at the movies."

RIP

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:13 pm 

Damn. He was a great writer and I definitely valued his opinions. RIP

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:40 pm 

It's a sad day for movie criticism.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 pm 

Very sad news. I've always enjoyed his reviews compared to other film critics, his tastes always seemed to align with my own when it came to most films.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 pm 

His passion for movies was really something to marvel at, and be inspired by. Of course nobody agreed with him 100% of the time, but for pure undiluted love for cinema, he was really an icon and stood tall throughout the years. RIP.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:23 pm 

This is a blow, but he was going strong literally until the very end, which is the best anyone can ask for. I always enjoyed reading his input on movies, and it's sad to see him go. RIP.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 pm 

Sad news indeed. I still get nostalgic remembering his years with Siskel and their arguments/banter. RIP

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:02 am 

Found this on my Facebook feed. I smiled.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:57 am 

Subrick wrote:

Found this on my Facebook feed. I smiled.

All together now: "Aww..."

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:37 pm 

Didn't they hate each other? I remember hearing clips of them waiting to do their shoots and they pretty much bitched about each other the entire time. They tried to be funny, but their feelings were pretty real. I never really paid attention to either one, but Ebert was a very familiar name in the business.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:08 pm 

They were very good friends in real life. When Siskel died, Ebert gave a very touching eulogy to him on At the Movies.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:32 pm 

IIRC initially they didn't like each other very much (back in the '70s) but became friends and their bickering was more of a schtick than anything real.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:03 pm 

Well his face really scared me, so I'm glad I hopefully won't see it anymore. He truly was a pioneer and may he RIP.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:36 pm 

I always enjoyed reading his reviews, they were very well articulated and always entertaining. I feared his death was around the corner for a long time now, but he kept pushing on for years, even though his health was horrible for practically the past decade. I'm very sad to see him go, and we won't ever get to know his opinions on any new movies now. =(

I've read his review of Zodiac a dozen times or more and I love it every time. I think our movie tastes aligned quite well, which is also another reason why I think I really enjoyed reading his reviews and valued his opinion greatly. I hope someone can step up and take his place in film criticism, but boy are those big shoes to fill indeed. But for now, RIP Roger. You'll be greatly missed.

Reply to topic