Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:11 pm 

This is exactly how it happened :lol: Only with an added 10 or so shots of rum...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:33 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I'll never understand why some metalheads choose to call themselves "hessians" and think that's a smart move. I mean, I live rather close to a region called Hesse with actual Hessians in it, some of whom I know personally. It's not like there is any reason to be particularly proud to be one of them. You don't hear elitist jazz fans call themselves bangladeshians for some arbitrary bullshit reason...

It's just a veiled "aryan" reference that some crypto-nazi closet cases came up with.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 pm 

Here's a new live video of Satyricon playing an intro snippet from a new song off their upcoming album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOYAXPTxGWc

It actually sounds pretty epic and medieval to me. I know it's just an intro, but it actually reminded me of Nemesis Devina. I know the entire metal community has given up on them, but I'd welcome any kind of change after The Age of Nero, which I thought sucked. Maybe taking a long break after that album was good for them. Time will tell.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:55 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
I'll never understand why some metalheads choose to call themselves "hessians" and think that's a smart move. I mean, I live rather close to a region called Hesse with actual Hessians in it, some of whom I know personally. It's not like there is any reason to be particularly proud to be one of them. You don't hear elitist jazz fans call themselves bangladeshians for some arbitrary bullshit reason...

It's just a veiled "aryan" reference that some crypto-nazi closet cases came up with.
All the ANUS guys are saying (the guys who started using the term hessian in place of metal head) is that multiculturalism is a failure. Within a multicultural framework, there is always going to be an advantaged majority and a disadvantaged minority. This creates friction between the majority and the minority and creates problems for society because it's harder to agree on a direction to take. Thus, the logical solution is nationalism: one nation, one culture. This is not racism, this is looking at civilizations objectively.

I'm a hessian and proud!

Also, could somebody help me out with my sig? I can't seem to get it to show up. Is there some hidden box I need to check?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:11 am 

With regards to your signature, go to the following tabs in your Control Panel: "Edit posting defaults" and "Edit display options". Enable the display of your sig there.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 am 

Ah, thank you! Not the most elegant of designs, that control panel...

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 am 

w0Lf wrote:
All the ANUS guys are saying (the guys who started using the term hessian in place of metal head) is that multiculturalism is a failure. Within a multicultural framework, there is always going to be an advantaged majority and a disadvantaged minority. This creates friction between the majority and the minority and creates problems for society because it's harder to agree on a direction to take. Thus, the logical solution is nationalism: one nation, one culture. This is not racism, this is looking at civilizations objectively.

I'm a hessian and proud!

Why does ANUS even still exist. I thought they would have imploded into the orgy of douchery years ago.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 am 

'80s USPM update: Having given Titan Force's debut a full listen, I can definitely say it's a bit of an overlooked gem. None of the typical "Conklin magic," Xlxlx? ;) Whaaa... This disc has a stronger performance from Conklin than appeared on Ample Destruction, plus significantly more impressive songwriting chops and creativity than shown on that release as well. Great production, fucking devastating solos... It's not flawless, but it's a pretty fucking good entry in the overall '80s metal library for sure. Definitely has a strong and genuine taste of that early Fates Warning vibe. On first impression, I'd probably say I like it as much or more than The Spectre Within (an album I've always felt fell far short of Awaken the Guardian, which neither of these can touch).

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:35 am 

'My name is Even and I'm a teen werewolf, and go ahead and laugh and make fun of me but I believe all of us have something supernatural mixed in us.'

I suppose I better get into the new season of Game of Thrones. Hopefully there's less of Samwell Tarly and more of Khaleesi.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 am 

Hey, we all got a chub when Sam showed up.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:52 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
'80s USPM update: Having given Titan Force's debut a full listen, I can definitely say it's a bit of an overlooked gem. None of the typical "Conklin magic," Xlxlx? ;) Whaaa... This disc has a stronger performance from Conklin than appeared on Ample Destruction, plus significantly more impressive songwriting chops and creativity than shown on that release as well. Great production, fucking devastating solos... It's not flawless, but it's a pretty fucking good entry in the overall '80s metal library for sure. Definitely has a strong and genuine taste of that early Fates Warning vibe. On first impression, I'd probably say I like it as much or more than The Spectre Within (an album I've always felt fell far short of Awaken the Guardian, which neither of these can touch).

While I love Titan Force's debut, Ample Destruction still blows it out of the water. AD is one of my favourite albums though so I'm a bit biased. As far as Conklin stuff goes Satan's Host's two recent ones are above Titan Force personally. SH's cult classic from the 80's is also great.

You listen to Omen Under_Starmere?

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:09 am 

I just discovered Pat Martino and picked up his live album from Yoshi's. He's quite fan-fucking-tastic.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:17 am 

Drawing realistic feathery 80s hair from a tiny ass reference image: The definition of a challenge (art is fucking hard).
Hehe, foreskins.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:03 am 

Just noticed the "Top" button to the bottom left of every post. This my friends, is a game changer.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:32 am 

w0Lf wrote:

I'm a hessian and proud!

You are not a hessian. These people are Hessians.

It's funny you'd associate a term with nationalism that at the same time you derive from mercenaries that didn't even have a "nation" at the time, who fought in a foreign country against a national cause that they probably didn't care about.

Multiculturalism is a popular scapegoat for conflicts that stem from shitty social politics. It's also a fuzzy term that people use if they don't know what exactly they are talking about.

I respect deathmetal.org for delivering decent music journalism and supporting all those great bands, but their political views, even if not outright boneheaded, are garbage.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:38 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I suppose I better get into the new season of Game of Thrones. Hopefully there's less of Samwell Tarly and more of Khaleesi.

And naked boobies. Big and small. In massive quantities. And naked (female) butts. It's HBO, that's why we watch it, right? Guys?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:48 am 

What Napero said, fire, blood, vikings and fight scenes.

This one dude straight up cuts off a dudes nipple, cause why the fuck not.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:32 am 

So I decided to try Ghost Shrimp as a tank mate for my Betta I bought three months ago, and after research, Youtube videos, and posting on the Betta forum it turns out my Betta is a brutal killer. After a few run ins the Ghost shrimp would hide in the crags of the substrate in my tank, it was just one seeing as how the 2nd Ghost shrimp mysteriously "vanished". I am listening to the Scorpions for one minute and then I hear this swish in my tank, I go over to see what has happened and Pete has the shrimp in his mouth and the thing is squirming for it's life before he shakes his head splits the poor thing in half and devours the abdomen while the head falls to the bottom of the tank.

Lesson learned folks, bettas do kill and eat live Ghost shrimp. Don't trust Yahoo answers

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:36 am 

This is some good shit - Perturbator.
80s-synth-electro music for those who are interested in this kinda thing. The artwork's badass as well.
http://perturbator.bandcamp.com

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 am 

Napero wrote:
And naked (female) butts. It's HBO, that's why we watch it, right? Guys?

I watch it for the articles.

iAm wrote:
This one dude straight up cuts off a dudes nipple, cause why the fuck not.

To send a clear message and program the youth: Man nudity hurts. Do you want to see man chest? Do you want yours cut off?? Man nudity wrong. No likey.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
While I love Titan Force's debut, Ample Destruction still blows it out of the water. AD is one of my favourite albums though so I'm a bit biased. As far as Conklin stuff goes Satan's Host's two recent ones are above Titan Force personally. SH's cult classic from the 80's is also great.

You listen to Omen Under_Starmere?

Hmm...Ample Destruction and Titan Force are fairly different in what they're going for. I guess in this case I feel the heightened sense of beauty and technical perfection in Titan Force sort of satisfies the power metal itch more than the more swaggery, tough-as-nails perspective on Ample Destruction. AD's more direct and aggressive, TF more elegant. Apples and oranges (Asian pears?). Conklin does sound better on TF, though, far more pitch-perfect and controlled. Gonna get around to Satan's Host probably today or tomorrow (the new stuff, that is). I recall some of the tracks I heard off By the Hands of the Devil were pretty good.

I've sampled Omen some but wasn't really that impressed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:57 am 

Glad you see the greatness of Awaken the Guardian; that is easily the better of the two FW classics in my eyes. And Ample Destruction - always a classic for the ages!

If you like AD, you'll probably like Omen's Battle Cry at the very least, if nothing else they did. That one is their classic and is good for a lot of the same reasons as AD is.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:01 am 

Battle Cry is rather good, but Kimball can't quite compare to the brilliance of Conklin on AD.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 am 

The difference in quality isn't that big. Battle Cry is an awesome album and one of my favorites of the style; just plain, bare bones kick ass heavy metal at its best. Ample Destruction is more of a 'downtown brawl under street lights' feel, where Battle Cry is more of a 'ancient Conan the Barbarian battle' feel, in terms of atmosphere, and they're both invaluable to fans of the style.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:12 am 

Sure, sure, both albums are musically excellent (although I'd say AD has the more memorable songs like Licensed to Kill and Harder Than Steel), I was just expressing my preference of Conklin's vocals over Kimball's. Both were excellent vocalists, naturally, but Conklin's are more my thing. AD probably has a clearer mix as far as vocals go, but I think Conklin simply had a stronger voice.

That's no insult to Kimball at all. There are few who can compare to Conklin is sheer vocal strength and power of expression.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:18 am 

Yeah, I'd pretty much agree with you on that. Ample Destruction is my favorite album of all time and all that...

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am 

Battle Cry is a top ten album for me, and Warning of Danger and The Curse are not far behind. Omen was the first USPM band I discovered after Manowar's early albums. The sounds of The Curse pretty much suck though, like the sound was coming behind a wall or something. But great songs nonethless. Kimball was the right man for the band, a very convincing voice. There's no one that can replace him.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 am 

Veracs wrote:
So I decided to try Ghost Shrimp as a tank mate for my Betta I bought three months ago, and after research, Youtube videos, and posting on the Betta forum it turns out my Betta is a brutal killer. After a few run ins the Ghost shrimp would hide in the crags of the substrate in my tank, it was just one seeing as how the 2nd Ghost shrimp mysteriously "vanished". I am listening to the Scorpions for one minute and then I hear this swish in my tank, I go over to see what has happened and Pete has the shrimp in his mouth and the thing is squirming for it's life before he shakes his head splits the poor thing in half and devours the abdomen while the head falls to the bottom of the tank.

Lesson learned folks, bettas do kill and eat live Ghost shrimp. Don't trust Yahoo answers

Bettas kill pretty much everything they can fit in their mouths, they are massive assholes.
lol@ trusting yahoo answers

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:39 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Multiculturalism is a popular scapegoat for conflicts that stem from shitty social politics. It's also a fuzzy term that people use if they don't know what exactly they are talking about.

probably all comes down to the rich wanting to get even richer, while everyone else has to keep their heads down.

Globalization who benefits most?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:42 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

Titan Force's debut is good, Starmere, but saying that it's better than Ample Destruction? Nah, I can't get behind that. AD is an epitome of what metal is, and an all time classic. I also can't back the idea that The Spectre Within is by far inferior compared to ATG. The latter is certainly better, but not by much. If anything, I consider it an improvement/development of the already great ideas found on its predecessor.

Omen's Battle Cry rips everything though. As the guys said, you should definitely try it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Here's a new live video of Satyricon playing an intro snippet from a new song off their upcoming album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOYAXPTxGWc

It actually sounds pretty epic and medieval to me. I know it's just an intro, but it actually reminded me of Nemesis Devina. I know the entire metal community has given up on them, but I'd welcome any kind of change after The Age of Nero, which I thought sucked. Maybe taking a long break after that album was good for them. Time will tell.

Satyricon probably just realised that putting out a black metal album in 2013 will win them more metal cred/sales/blow jobs than their stupid U2-sunglasses-shite-unt-roll crap. They've successfully re-sold out!

Regarding USPM: I like Kimball more than Conklin, tbh. Can't knock either, though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm 

The Age of Nero successfully did one thing for me: made damn sure I would NEVER listen to anything else they ever did, ever.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:45 pm 

The melody starts exactly like When the Saints go Marching In.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:59 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I also can't back the idea that The Spectre Within is by far inferior compared to ATG.

I can. I like 'The Apparition' quite a bit, but that's the only track that approaches the overall quality of ATG, whereas ATG is :love: from basically beginning to end. Naturally ATG is a development on the forays on Spectre, but it's a leap of quality that makes Spectre virtually obsolete, in my estimation. I say that because whenever I revisit it, I end up getting frustrated and putting on ATG.

Omen I'm with the fish man on: skimmed, but not yet gripped by. Battle Cry remains in the fog of war.

I'm also looking forward to listening to this quintessence of metal. *hunts up Titan Force*

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:06 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9_xAiYQJ8

Promising.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:19 pm 

Y'all trippin, Battle Cry is pure class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZU_PvM3Tvc

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:00 pm 

heh .. I like that album cover.

It's interesting comparing the production of these two links (Napero's and Inspector_Satan's). Omen's sounds laid back in comparison, though they're playing faster. {lipo'd}

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 pm 

I've been altering my diet for the past week and have made big changes. I never realize until more recently just how many starches I'd consume on a daily basis. I've been eating a lot more salads, fruits (blending them to make smoothies is amazing btw), and have just been more conscientious of what I'm eating in general. I feel pretty good so far.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:33 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
They've successfully re-sold out!

:lol:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:48 pm 

I'm not gonna fight you guys too hard in the USPM opinion arena, 'cause it's clear you probably have stronger feelings about this stuff than I do. It's probably not worth arguing about. Though from what I've heard, I'd say any of the albums we mentioned above are much more interesting than Battle Cry... Mr. Kimball's vocals can't hold a candle to either Conklin or John Arch and I have trouble believing they'd even be seriously compared.

Oh...I should mention that I tried giving By the Hands of the Devil a listen this morning and it (the first three tracks, at least) bored me to tears. There are just so many things that don't work very well about that album. I do remember "Before the Flame" being pretty cool, though. Will try to force myself to listen to the rest later.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 518  Next