Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hani
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm 

Mexico seems like a great place to see bands like Avantasia, Amorphis, Lacrimosa as they don't tour in the US.

So I'm flying to Mexico City for Lacrimosa concerts next weekend (from San Diego). I have my ticket for Sunday night but really want to see Saturday show too which is already sold out. I'm willing to pay extra $ but can't find any ticket available online. Is ticket resale uncommon in Mexico? Is there any website to check for availability (something like craigslist or eBay)? Wondering if I'll have a chance to get one from a reseller at the venue on the day of the show?

Another concern is safety. I've read a lot of negative things. "Don't take a taxi on the street," "Don't walk alone at night," "Metro stations can be very dangerous," "You'll end up robbed," etc. Is it really that bad?? :( What would you suggest for getting to the hotel or the airport after the gig, late at night?

The venues are Auditorio Blackberry(Sat) and Circo Volador(Sun). I can't read or speak Spanish, and I speak English as my 2nd language.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! \m/

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:32 pm 

Edit: I wouldn't really travel to Mexico from what I've heard.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Last edited by ralfikk123 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:35 pm 

I'll get back to you in a few minutes, mate.

Also, fuck you, ralfikk123.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 pm 

From what I understand, Tijuana has a huge Crust scene. I was actually supposed to spend time down there over New Years, but it took too long for my passport to come through.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:39 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Oh man, it's not my intention to sound racist or anything, but from what I've heard a white American traveling to Mexico is not such a sound idea.

I'm not racist, I talked to a black guy in the bus the other day!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:54 pm 

Hani wrote:
Is ticket resale uncommon in Mexico?

Nah, not at all. It's quite common. Usually they sell them like three times the original cost, but yes, be sure you'll find them standing outside the venue.

I just found a guy reselling two tickets online, and he has already sold one. It's for the Saturday gig, too! Not sure how much it was the original price, but it's $1,200.00 each. Other than that, I guess you'd have to wait for the resellers at the gig.

Any ideas where are you staying at? There are a lot of subway stations, and there's always one that will get you to a reasonable distance from where you're staying. It's just a matter of checking which stations are you getting in or out. The cab drivers tend to be quite abusive with all people in general, so avoid if possible.

The language problem might be an issue, yes. Are you travelling with anyone familiar with the language?

About the city being dangerous, well, it is partially true. Some areas are totally fucked up, while others are quite ok. I guess most cities are like that.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:35 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Hani wrote:
Is ticket resale uncommon in Mexico?

Nah, not at all. It's quite common. Usually they sell them like three times the original cost, but yes, be sure you'll find them standing outside the venue.

I just found a guy reselling two tickets online, and he has already sold one. It's for the Saturday gig, too! Not sure how much it was the original price, but it's $1,200.00 each. Other than that, I guess you'd have to wait for the resellers at the gig.

Any ideas where are you staying at? There are a lot of subway stations, and there's always one that will get you to a reasonable distance from where you're staying. It's just a matter of checking which stations are you getting in or out. The cab drivers tend to be quite abusive with all people in general, so avoid if possible.

The language problem might be an issue, yes. Are you travelling with anyone familiar with the language?

About the city being dangerous, well, it is partially true. Some areas are totally fucked up, while others are quite ok. I guess most cities are like that.

If I had bought my tickets earlier I could take you. Sadly, I can't. My suggestions is to avoid taxis if possible. You could take the subway as OpsiusCato said, but remember it closes at midnight, so if the concert does not end before midnight you are screwed.
Just make sure to book for a hotel near the center (which I've done before coming to live here, Hotel Principal is cheap, and not that bad) or call me :lol:
I could offer you staying at my home, but this is one of those fucked up places... And I have school on Monday :P.
There are many mexican metalheads around, so why don't you wait for a better response? Maybe one of them will take you with him/her.
If you tell me where are you staying I can create many routes for you to take to those places, with info on money spending and stuff.

Hani
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:47 am 

Thank you so much!
That ticket price is twice the face value but it's not too bad for I've been a fan so long but never had a chance to see them live.

My plan is like this:
1. Airport to the hotel by cab or metro (thinking of Fiesta Inn, 10min walk from the venue)
2. hotel check-in and walk to Auditorio Blackberry
3. After the show, walk back to the hotel google map
4. Sunday, to Circo Volador by metro
5. After the show, go to the airport by metro google map
6. Stay overnight and take a flight early morning

Basically I'll be around the venue all day. #3 and #5 are the most worrying parts as it should be 11pm to midnight. As long as metro runs, you guys always recommend metro than taxi, right? How about walking back to the hotel (#3)?

I'll be travelling by myself. By the way, I'm an Asian if that makes any difference in safety :)

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am 

Hani wrote:
Thank you so much!
That ticket price is twice the face value but it's not too bad for I've been a fan so long but never had a chance to see them live.

My plan is like this:
1. Airport to the hotel by cab or metro (thinking of Fiesta Inn, 10min walk from the venue)
2. hotel check-in and walk to Auditorio Blackberry
3. After the show, walk back to the hotel google map
4. Sunday, to Circo Volador by metro
5. After the show, go to the airport by metro google map
6. Stay overnight and take a flight early morning

Basically I'll be around the venue all day. #3 and #5 are the most worrying parts as it should be 11pm to midnight. As long as metro runs, you guys always recommend metro than taxi, right? How about walking back to the hotel (#3)?

I'll be travelling by myself. By the way, I'm an Asian if that makes any difference in safety :)

Lucky you. There is Metrobus in the Auditorio Blackberry area. Twice as expensive as the subway but that ain't a problem, it's only $6 pesos. It also closes at midnight, but you do have to pay for a special card to get in. The card is 10 or 15 pesos (basically 1 buck) and the good thing is that if the concert ends before midnight it also takes you to the airport. You can check schedules and maps here. I strongly recommend this, since it is safe and very fast. It will take you to the airport for 30 pesos, and you can buy the card in vending machines installed in every station.

For #3 I recommend the Metrobús. Lots of places to it near there, too! And as it is a "nice" zone, during day you will have no problema! During night, as long as you get into the metrobús, everything will be fine. There are cops all day, but they do not speak a word of English.
I've never been to the metro stations close to the airport though, but you should have no problem as long as you follow the signs.
There is no difference in safety, wheter you are mexican or not. I strongly recommend you do something else on day 2, as the Circo Volador is in a zone where there is nothing to see. Unless you want to go in the line at 6 am (and you will not be alone!).

Please, take a lot of pics (hide your cammera in your body, yes your body, they won't allow you to pass with it) and share them, please!

If you need anything else, fell free to PM me, or send me an e-mail (I believe it's in my profile).

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:15 am 

OP, is it your first time traveling alone? I don't think somebody would like to harm you for the fact that you are an Asian.
Just think positively about the trip and things will flow naturally and in a positive way as well. Be rational, watch your pockets and don't roam around empty areas after midnight. You will be more than fine. I hope you will generate some courage in order to take a tour around the city. Mexico city has alot to offer. Don't go just for the concert man, it would suck traveling all that distance to just stay around the concert venues!!!!

pefak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 pm 

Hani wrote:

So I'm flying to Mexico City for Lacrimosa concerts next weekend (from San Diego). I have my ticket for Sunday night but really want to see Saturday show too which is already sold out. I'm willing to pay extra $ but can't find any ticket available online. Is ticket resale uncommon in Mexico? Is there any website to check for availability (something like craigslist or eBay)? Wondering if I'll have a chance to get one from a reseller at the venue on the day of the show?

Another concern is safety. I've read a lot of negative things. "Don't take a taxi on the street," "Don't walk alone at night," "Metro stations can be very dangerous," "You'll end up robbed," etc. Is it really that bad?? :( What would you suggest for getting to the hotel or the airport after the gig, late at night?

The venues are Auditorio Blackberry(Sat) and Circo Volador(Sun). I can't read or speak Spanish, and I speak English as my 2nd language.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! \m/

As it has been said before, resale is very common in Mexico. If you get to the venue 2 hours before the concert starts I'm sure you will find tickets.

For your safety concerns I suggest you keep a low profile (don't wear expensive clothes on the metro, don't travel with lots of cash, etc.) and you'll be totally fine. I've lived in Mexico City for 20 years and never been robbed.

For getting to the airport and to your hotel I suggest you use a taxi for it is safer to travel with your suitcase in a taxi. To travel around the city I suggest to use the metro, it is actually pretty safe.

If you have further doubts just ask.

Hani
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 am 

Thank you guys for helpful suggestions.

Metrobus looks very nice. That's a really great info. But Circo Volador seems to be located right in front of a subway station, and a little away from Metrobus. Maybe I can just take a subway to other Metrobus station. I guess there will be many fans with me after the show.

I'll throw in a city tour for Sunday as suggested. It would be also good for me to try subway and metrobus during daytime. And I'll be just wearing a metal shirt not expensive clothes (I don't have one anyway:) so I might be okay.

I still have to get a Saturday ticket though. I can see one listed in Mercado Libre but I'm not sure how this site works.

One week to go. Getting more and more excited!

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 pm 

Well, Mercado Libre works like ebay I guess. My mothr's gonna be in the city for this weekend, and we'll be spending sometime with her near the center.
I don't know wheter you have bought your ticket yet, but you can buy it and tell the seller to deliver it to you personally on saturday. If you wish I can help you out with that.
I also suggest to get a hotel near Circo Volador instead. Since the sunday concert is there, it would be easier for you to get to your hotel and grab your suitcase and take a taxi from there (they can order one for you in the hotel). [url=http://www.circovolador.org/index.php/si-nos-visitas/guia-del-viajero
]In the Circo Volador webpage they suggest some hotels near[/url].
The day is coming, so you might wanna hurry or someone else will buy your ticket!!!

Hani
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:11 pm 

Guys, thanks once again for your help and suggestions. It was not an easy trip but so worth it! Both Sat/Sun shows were amazing - one of the best I've ever been to.

Saturday was messed up until the show began. The ticket reseller from MercadoLibre didn't show up. I got pickpocketed for my iphone in a MetroBus (Line1). :( I should have avoided the packed bus when I have a backpack/wallet/phone with me. Air pollution was quite severe in some areas. There was already such a long line when I got to the venue. Ticket scalpers tried to cheat on me.

But after all, I got a decent seat ticket and the show was... just incredibly awesome. I heard that Lacrimosa are great live but never expected it this good. Tilo's voice, piano, dancing, and his stage presence were totally amazing. He didn't even seem like a human. :) And Mexico fans were fantastic, they were so loud. Lacrimosa are like rock stars in Mexico. The setlist, lights, and band performance were just perfect.

On Sunday, I went sightseeing around El Angel and Centro/Zocalo area. There were people, people, people everywhere but I quite enjoyed it. Then I took a subway(Line 8) to get to Circo Volador and it was okay. Sunday show was even better as I was much closer to the stage. The band looked so amazed by the huge welcome from the fans.

On both nights, I was impressed by the "unofficial" Lacrimosa merch booths. It's rather a market place, filled with tons of Lacrimosa stuff. It's great to see hundred different shirt designs and a lot of cool stuff - accessories, posters, pins, picks, dolls, glass, mugs, shots, hip flasks, cushions, etc. I grabbed 2 shirts for $20. I'm wondering if this "unofficial market place" thing is common for other metal bands too? Also wondering how Lacrimosa have become so popular in Mexico?

It's a shame USA never had a chance to see Lacrimosa live. I thought their music is too artistic for average US fan's taste. But their live was not only artistic but also a lot of fun! Now I'm pretty sure that US fans will absolutely love it once they see them live. Though I doubt this will ever happen.

Reply to topic