Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:27 am 

I'm really, really enjoying it so far, as I'd expected I would. The only thing that's bothering me is... do I detect a small undercurrent of pro-Christianity to most of the episodes? I'm primarily talking about this one, where Frank flat-out says to his wife "we need to instill biblical values in our daughter lest she grow up without anything to live for," but Frank searching for his 'lost faith', non-work-related bible readings and pre-dinner/bedtime prayers seem to be fairly commonplace as well. I'm perfectly fine with religious elements (even ones that could only be explained through magic) in the show so long as it takes a more Campbellian approach to the subject. Sadly, so far the show is solely harping on the Judeo-Christian side of things and it worries me that this trend will continue throughout its entire three season run...

Did you notice any of this? If so, are my fears unfounded, or should I be preparing myself for the worst? While I don't consider myself militantly atheist, I can't fucking STAND prosthelytizing, especially in my for-pleasure-only entertainment.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:52 am 

I can't really remember, been too long, but I didn't think of it as having a very Christian slant when I watched it...except maybe apocalyptic themes (which transcend Christianity), but really I can't remember.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:55 am 

I wouldn't say the Christian themes are anything that diminishes the show's quality, ultimately. They're not incredibly overbearing. But you know it's always a little problematic when a film or show is based around a character with religious convictions because there's always going to be that "what are the writer's really trying to tell us?" issue. It makes it easy to assume there's some sort of agenda happening instead of just a portrayal of a character who happens to be religious and that those beliefs make the character act and interpret things through that lens. Of course no writer is writing in a vacuum, they're conscious of those dynamics, but I like to think that it's possible to write about a religious character without necessarily siding with or against them. I guess in a show like this it makes the conflict more palpable when there are clear lines drawn - the fragile Us against a more powerful Them - but personally I'd prefer a more ambiguous approach... evil existing and acting in the world regardless and independent of meaningless religious polarities, and that it's possible to fight against it without needing a higher power to justify and help you. And I seem to recall that Millennium kind of kept an ambiguity to a certain extent.

I thought MIllennium was a pretty good show. There are a few pretty terrible episodes in each season, though, and most of them are by the same director. Maybe I'll try and dig up his name later so you can make a mental note. But overall I found it pretty engaging and interesting.

EDIT: I believe the director's name was Darin Morgan.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
Season 2 of AHS is good. It develops much better than the first season whose ending was incredibly bullshitting.

Yeah, the 2nd season was way superior to the first. I hope they'll make another one.

volutetheswarth wrote:
Episode 14 of The Walking Dead was an utter waste, might as well have been a dream. I do sure love a blatant filler episode so close to the end of the season. And what's with every new episode ending with a song? Is this turning into Sons of Anarchy now? The first two times with a 3rd rate Johnny Cash was acceptable because it worked with the mood but now it's just there to fill the last minutes with barely any thought.

I would say the last 3, 4 eps has been quite the waste of time. Just like the Hershel's farm became boring, this Woodbury vs Prison is pretty stale to this point.

Also, FUCK ANDREA. This character sucks and she got a whole ep for her alone, which was the worst of the entire series.

In other news, my wife and I watch 'The Good Wife'. I only tried it cause my wife almost forced me to do so, but it's a very good series - if you're into laws, the better. It's already on its 4th season.

Yesterday we saw 'Spartacus' for the first time. It was entertaining, quite bloody, good fights and stuff. The effects are not the best, but for the first episode it was quite promising.

Oh, and about unfinished series, Carnivale was very promising too.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:37 pm 

Kveldulfr, do you mean the first series of Spartacus? Because the first couple episodes of that series are very much shite. It gets better as it progresses. .. I mean .. take that with a grain of salt; it's Spartacus. I don't mean to hype it TOO much, but as the story unfolds, it's clear those first couple aren't indicative of the over all quality. I really like the show a lot, but I'm not going to say it's for everyone.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 pm 

I made a quick search and saw that I'm watching the 3rd season of an already running series. I didn't know about Sand and Blood, I started yesterday with War of the Damned cause I accidentally saw it in the recommendations section of the page I see The Good Wife online.

I'll check out the previous seasons then, I liked how the 3rd one started.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:29 pm 

haha .. oops! :) I haven't gotten around to the 3rd season yet .. what kind of fan am i. :(

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:07 pm 

I was about to post recently that I'm genuinely a bit sad that Spartacus is only two episodes away from ending entirely :(. As over-the-top and ridiculous as it can be at times, I've honestly become rather attached to these characters and how fucking insanely earnest the whole thing is. Bromance writ epic. The brotherhood...the agony. It's awesome and I'm sad. Fucking Crixus. FUCKING CRIXUS!!! :fuck:

Yeah, Kveldulfr, it's Blood and Sand --> Gods of the Arena --> Vengeance --> War of the Damned.

Grave_Wyrm's right, the first few episodes of Blood and Sand are pretty bad, but after that it's pure EXTREME TV gold.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Did you notice any of this? If so, are my fears unfounded, or should I be preparing myself for the worst? While I don't consider myself militantly atheist, I can't fucking STAND prosthelytizing, especially in my for-pleasure-only entertainment.
Oh certainly, but then again most shows at this time had a religious element as though it was commonplace, a prayer before bed, a visit to church on Sunday or a character who is wholeheartedly Christian. For that one reason I found Millenium can seem dated, but apart from a few select episodes it never becomes overbearing. I think it was most likely Chris Carter who brought that element to the show as he had previously done with Scully in The X-Files. I can't stand the way certain episodes seem to prosthelytize, if I recall on both occasions I skipped the episode. The good thing about Millenium is that most episodes are self contained and you can almost pick and choose without following each episode strictly.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:08 pm 

Second episode of Bates Motel was just as good as the first one, with the highlight being Vera Fermiga once more. They really do such a good job of fleshing out her creepy relationship with Norman, and the scene where she interrogates the girl that comes to do homework with him was a perfect example of that. It's definitely taking a direction that is much less subtle than I expected, but I'm a sucker for the hole "town with deep, dark secrets lurking under the surface" (Derry in SK's IT style) though the last scene was much too on the nose and I hope they don't do a lot more of that.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:47 pm 

I watched Spartacus until this latest season. The first episode bored me to death, didn't care. Does it get better?

Yay for tits and slow-mo violence.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 pm 

Oh my god, the slo-mo. Easily the most retarded aspect of Spartacus. Luckily I hardly notice it anymore, it's just kind of part of the fabric at this point. But at times it still gets me.

"Shit, we're short of our minimum episode length by 52 seconds. Fuck!! What are we going to do?!?!"
"How 'bout we look for some completely arbitrary shots and stretch them out to about ten times their normal length?"
"...you mean like this one of people's running feet?"
"Yeah, perfect. Stretch the fuck out of that."

I'd say keep watching the final season! You've come this far, eh? It's been pretty consistent compared with the previous seasons, and it's got some great antagonist characters.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:47 pm 

@Under_Starmere & Nahsil (but mainly Under_Starmere): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4mhibTfaBA
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 pm 

Hehehe. Exaaaacclay

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 pm 

^ "Two acquaintances called "The Prey" are placed in a different location of the Canadian wilderness each episode. They are given a map with a starting point and ending location approx. 40 kilometers away. The prey are given 36 hours to reach the ending location by any means, and by any route necessary. The "Mantracker" Terry Grant and sidekick (usually a new one per episode) will then attempt to capture the prey while on horseback before they reach the finish line using various expert tracking skills."

YES. Why have I never seen this show....

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:50 pm 

It's not as great as you would think.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:23 am 

Orphan Black R00lz. Don't misquote me.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:34 am 

I've noticed a bit of abuse from the slo-mo, but it has its charm too, like Doctore's whips when a certain dialogue ends.

So far, we've seen 7 episodes and it only gets better. The story is moving forward fast, good balance between action and politics, mostly good background from the main characters and the acting is convincing enough; the fights themselves are great and, although the blood looks a bit weird sometimes, I like it. It oddly reminds me of Tarantino in terms of some takes and look (the only thing I think Tarantino excels).

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:19 am 

What do you think of the dialogue? Personally I love the way they modeled it after the grammatical/syntactic structure of what I take to be stylized Latin (though most characters in that world would probably speak vernacular Italian), so it totally has its own flavor, and also allows for a way heavier streak of poetic phraseology that's so much more fun to listen to.

One of my favorite things about Spartacus is how relatively believable the fighting prowess of the characters is. In most shows/films you just sort of have to accept the concept of this or that character being an elite warrior, but Spartacus spends so much time giving you an inside look into the characters' constant training and fighting experience that their abilities come to feel far more real...you know that these people are that good because you feel like they've earned it; you saw them get there. It's a subtle distinction but an important one, I think. An interesting take on character development.

Of the few points that kind of chagrin me about the show, one of the worst is how much they were forced to rely on computer-generated outdoor environments. The whole experience would feel so much grittier and even more physical than it already does if they were able to film in natural light, etc, like Rome was able to.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:57 am 

I'm not a native english speaker, although I can understand it relatively well. I didn't know they took some syntactics from Latin, but yeah, it feels different (and even more similar to spanish, which draws a lot from Latin so it makes sense).

I Noticed the 'green background like' landscapes. I don't feel them offensive, in fact I tink it gives a bit of a graphic novel feel to the series, just like 300's environments were.

Regarding the skills of the gladiators, I agree. You know those guys are training hard to be that good and the choreographies are very, very well done. You really think those guys are trained and they're not simply actors pretending to know how to fight. I loved when Spartacus gave Crixus a lesson, you could really 'measure' how much Spartacus grew fighting in the arena.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:00 pm 

I do enjoy the language. And I think even the plotlines/drama/intrigue are pretty solid at times, my favorite being up to the death of Batiatus.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:32 pm 

Somehow watched 5 episodes of Louie since last night. This is really entertaining.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:35 pm 

It's a great show. Too bad the last season was very meh.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Somehow watched 5 episodes of Louie since last night. This is really entertaining.

It's one of the best shows on TV, and probably my number one favorite comedy/drama. I liked this past season as much as the ones before.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:46 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
What do you think of the dialogue?

I love it, also lots of fun to emulate, my mates and I, after watching episodes, will get stuck in "Spartacus dialogue" mode. Lots of use of the phrase "Jupiter's cock".

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:51 pm 

*picks up parking ticket* Gaaahh, the gods force fucking funnel into mouth to piss down throat!

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 pm 

Strange, would have thought there'd be a discussion about The Walking Dead finale. I guess everyone's a little bitter and who can blame 'em.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:23 pm 

I never watched Walking Dead. Never watched Game of Thrones either.

I'm fully expecting everyone on this site to want me dead now.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 pm 

Not really, if you said you hated those shows then I can see the rage start to build but as it stands you're on indifferent terms.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:34 pm 

I've never had any interest in watching either show. The only shows currently on TV that have piqued my interest outside of wrestling (which I've pretty much just regarded as compulsory viewing after 12 years of continuous watching) are Bates Motel and Once Upon a Time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 pm 

I really have no interest in either show right now. Got so many other shows I feel like watching first.

Louie is still good - even better now at almost the end of season 1. Really digging the sort of blend of comedy and drama he has, which is more subtle and seamless than a lot of other attempts ever get. Very clever, heartfelt show.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 pm 

I wouldn't recommend The Walking Dead to anyone. It's mostly average with a good first season and a few brilliant episodes in seasons 2 and 3 (Scott M. Gimple is a great writer). Just read the comic books.

I blasted through Parks and Recreation on Netflix (skipped season 1 though, heard it wasn't good). Such a great show. Also, I'm not one for TV relationships, but Andy Dywer and April Ludgate are adorable.

Now I have Louie and Archer to look forward to. Yay.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:32 pm 

THE 50 Best TV Dramas Of All Time!!!!!
Obviously I don't agree with all their choices but I found the list to be well worded and the top 20 are at least closer to what would be my own top 20 (or anyone with a bit more taste for that matter!) No prizes if you guess what number 1 is.
I totally agree about their top choice btw!
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013 ... -all-time/

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:09 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
I wouldn't recommend The Walking Dead to anyone. It's mostly average with a good first season and a few brilliant episodes in seasons 2 and 3 (Scott M. Gimple is a great writer). Just read the comic books.

It has turned boring as fuck.

Game of Thrones is another one that I can't recommend unless you're a fan of the books. The first season is very good, but the 2nd was mostly atrocious.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
THE 50 Best TV Dramas Of All Time!!!!!
Obviously I don't agree with all their choices but I found the list to be well worded and the top 20 are at least closer to what would be my own top 20 (or anyone with a bit more taste for that matter!) No prizes if you guess what number 1 is.
I totally agree about their top choice btw! http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013 ... -all-time/

That list is so completely random it's silly, all the choices are just whatever is popular and nothing obscure.
I stopped the countdown when I saw Sons of Anarchy rated highly.
Additionally, what's this mass aversion to using the scroll bar and putting the list on one singular page.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:18 pm 

The third episode of Bates Motel is just as good as the first two. Stuff's starting to move forward plot-wise after the first two episodes set up a lot of things for the characters to deal with, it's the most tension filled, thriller styled episode of the show thus far, and
Spoiler: show
the psychopathy that would later overwhelm Norman Bates and take him over entirely is starting to show through hallucinating his mother telling him to break into the deputy's house (and in the process figuring out the deal with the sketchbook that he and Emma went into the mountains for in the last episode), as well as the first hints of Mother showing.

I've also come to realize that the show is both incredibly entrancing and very uncomfortable at the same time. They're combining likable characters like Norman, Bradley, Emma, and even Norma when she's not being either overbearing or kind of incesty with this storyline sweeping "something is definitely not right here" feeling that leads to a lot of squirm-in-your-seat moments throughout the show.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:38 pm 

Honestly, I love it. I get what you mean about the incesty part of it though, I constantly feel like they're about to kiss and it's super weird.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 pm 

The last episode with Norma changing tops right in front of Norman and her subsequently telling him there's nothing wrong with looking at it was quite creepy to me, and this new one with Norma waking Norman up by stroking his waistline and then later on kissing him on the neck kind of takes the cake in the unsettling category.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Additionally, what's this mass aversion to using the scroll bar and putting the list on one singular page.

Ad rev. It's pretty common for listicles these days, especially from high-traffic pop mags.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:19 pm 

Rome at 47? For fucking shame.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 182  Next