2) Fear of the Dark 43%  43%  [ 46 ]
3) The X Factor 34%  34%  [ 37 ]
4) Virtual XI 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 108
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:07 pm 

Fear of the Dark is totally the best out of those, it has instant classics like Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Wasting Love and of course the title track plus it has other kickass songs in Be Quick or Be Dead, From Here to Eternity, The Fugitive and Judas Be My Guide.
Virtual 11 would come in second though, it's actually a pretty damn good album if you give it a chance, every song on it really kicks ass except Angel & the Gambler which just totally sucks...or actually it would be a pretty cool tune if it didn't have all those fucking 24 CHORUSES all over the place, increasing the song length with 4 completely pointless minutes. Nobody gets away with stupidity like that, not even Iron Maiden.
X factor would be 3rd with its awesome gems in Sign of the Cross and Unbeliever, as well as the other cool songs which are Lord of the Flies, Man on the Edge, Judgement of Heaven and The Edge of Darkness. And the bonus tracks too, those probably should have made it to the final album because they're a lot better than some tracks that did make the cut.
And lastly would be No Prayer For The Dying, apart from the first 4 tracks and Bring You Daughter it's just an album of half-way good songs like Run Silent and Fates Warning and complete shit like the remaining 3 songs. Also the production sucks balls.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:06 pm 

The X Factor..... easily!

It's is dark, it's epic, and yet still somewhat hopeful in its tone. Is Blaze Bayley the best singer ever? No, but it's admittedly hard to envision Bruce doing these songs (although, his rendition of Sign of the Cross is fantastic). Still, what drives me towards this album is its honesty. It's not commercial metal, flashy and in-your-face. It's more "introverted", reflective and quiet. Just look at these lyrics...

"In the house of my soul
In rooms of ugliness and cold
Memories locked away
All the doubts and fears I never faced"

Seventh Son... is still my personal favourite, but The X Factor is right behind it.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:24 pm 

my vote def. goes to "No Prayer...". Not because it was the first CD I ever bought (at it's release date) but just because
I don't like Blaze's voice at all and "Fear..." is so damn boring apart from one or two the songs and it's title track is
one of the most overrated and overplayed songs ever. Seriously - listening to that song makes my ears bleed...
The sad thing is that it actually was a good song - until it got as omnipresent as "Hallowed..." or "The Number...".

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:08 am 

Voted for The X Factor simply because it needs more exposure than anyone ever gave it.
It is not a classic but neither does it pretend to be one like Fear of The Dark does. That album has so many pretensions, it makes my blood suffer!
The Pink Floyd-isms on Afraid To Shoot Strangers' clean verse would have been divine if those lyrics weren't so terrible. But it is a good song musically and probably one of the few really memorable tracks on an otherwise drab piece.
I can take No Prayer For The Dying sometimes but not always and Virtual XI is a bit of fun too.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 am 

No Prayer... for me. It's better than any of their reunion material, too! It's got an appropriate production job (much better than the sound on Fear of the Dark, which has a crappy 1980s sounding snare and overly slick guitars). Obviously, No Prayer's got its flaws (the incomplete epic, the song about anal sex and the trite, horrible finale to the Charlotte the Harlot saga) but I appreciate the energy, even if the material itself often falls short. I listen to it a couple times a year and I usually find myself enjoying it. Oh yeah, and 'Bring Your Daughter...' is fucking cool. It's like Maiden doing a Powerage-era AC/DC impression, with cool horror movie/period based imagery. Oh yeah, and the title track kinda sounds like Born Again Sabbath, which I appreciate.

The X Factor's alright, too, although it's massively overlong. Still, the first three tracks are cool. Fear of the Dark has some great highlights and, yes, 'Judas Be My Guide' is an overlooked gem (although most serious Maiden fans seem to like it). For whatever reason, though, they SUCKED at hard rock on this album. They got away with it on No Prayer... but 'Here to Eternity' and 'Weekend Warrior' rank amongst their worst songs ever.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
Virtual 11 would come in second though, it's actually a pretty damn good album if you give it a chance, every song on it really kicks ass except Angel & the Gambler which just totally sucks...or actually it would be a pretty cool tune if it didn't have all those fucking 24 CHORUSES all over the place, increasing the song length with 4 completely pointless minutes. Nobody gets away with stupidity like that, not even Iron Maiden.

What are you talking about? Those choruses were pure genius!
DON'T YOU THINK I COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE?!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 am 

I'm glad that at least one person likes 'The Angel and the Gambler'. :lol:

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 pm 

I do like the edited version though

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 pm 

Fear of the Dark. It's actually the album that got me into the band when I was younger. I was intrigued by the cover art and had to know what this band was about. There may be a little nostalgic bias here, but I do still enjoy the album.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 pm 

Also, Fear of the Dark has Afraid to Shoot Strangers. It wins by default.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:27 pm 

Fear of the Dark is awful. 3-4 good songs don't make up for the rest of the album.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:33 pm 

This. I really like Wasted Love or Be Quick or Be Dead but damn, 3/4th of the album is awful.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:39 pm 

I would have said Fear of the Dark, too, for the five songs I stated in my review (“From Here To Eternity,” “Afraid To Shoot Strangers,” “Childhood’s End,” “Wasting Love," and title track). However, as Emp said, it can't uplift the rest of the horseshit that plagues that album. Man, the '90s were a bad time for Maiden.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:40 pm 

You're all wrong, I counted 7 good songs out of 12.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:42 pm 

The only ones I remember liking are "Be Quick or Be Dead," "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" and the title track. "Wasting Love" and "From Here to Eternity" ain't bad either, but a lot of the album is either boring or just flat out annoying.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:45 pm 

Yeah, the problem is that it's not so much a handful of good songs as it is the few BEST songs of their whole 90s run, including "Be Quick or be Dead" which is better than every last one of the other songs they made in the 90s (or, in my honest opinion, post-'Seventh Son', period).

So you see the pickle here? It's all a matter of phrasing and personal listening habits. The album with the best material is 'Fear of the Dark'. To me, it translates to "the best album". Now, if I had to listen to one of those four albums in its entirety or not at all, my choice might be different (it'd very likely end up being 'Virtual XI', then). I might even settle for No Prayer for the Boring, which is certainly more uniformly mediocre and, as such, works better as uninterrupted background music. But one to save from a fire? 'Fear of the Dark', no questions asked.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:46 pm 

Be Quick or Be Dead, From Here to Eternity, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Wasting Love, The Fugitive, Judas Be My Guide and the title track are the ones I like from the album...sure the remaining 5 songs suck but thats what skip buttons are for

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:31 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Okay, I don't want to derail the thread, but how is Invaders shit? Why do I keep on hearing this. It's a killer song with an awesome bass line and all around hyper fun.

I seriously want to know what people are smoking when they call Invaders shit. It absolutely rips.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:35 pm 

Wedge_Antilles wrote:
ralfikk123 wrote:
Okay, I don't want to derail the thread, but how is Invaders shit? Why do I keep on hearing this. It's a killer song with an awesome bass line and all around hyper fun.

I seriously want to know what people are smoking when they call Invaders shit. It absolutely rips.

Nah, never liked that one, too... kiddie metal and much too happy sounding for its lyrical matter. Still one of the better songs on that album...

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:36 pm 

Chains of Misery is one of the most underrated Iron Maiden songs. It's more rock-oriented but doesn't have any of the AC/DC-isms yet a lot of swing, and I'm not being hyperbolic when I say it may contain my favorite Murray solos. Something about the leads on it are so triumphant, and the only solos in metal I've even heard in comparison with it are those closing Atheist's Mineral. Overall I've always been more of a Smith guy, but Murray really brings it with that song and he has a lot of other great moments on the album as well.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:43 am 

Chains of Misery...mmm one of my favorites from the album. The main riff is fricking awesome. The chorus is golden. Really really great song.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am 

I never understood the popularity of "Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter"... It's a terribly overrated (and also un-catchy and totally cheesy) song... That said, I also think "Holy Smoke" rules (it'd probably be in my top 10 favorite Maiden songs, supposing I ever felt inclined to make a list), so maybe I'm crazy.

And while NPFTD is hardly my favorite album, I still like it better than FOTD.

I just felt like getting that off my chest.

I suppose The X Factor would have to be my choice. No one but Blaze Bayley can sing "Man On The Edge" as far as I am concerned. Bruce's voice might be good, but for that song, it's just not right.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
I never understood the popularity of "Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter"... It's a terribly overrated (and also un-catchy and totally cheesy) song...

I think that's the worst song on NPFTD, too...

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 am 

X FACTOR!!!!

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:36 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
"Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter"... un-catchy song...

:getout:

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 pm 

The X Factor because the rest are forgettable!

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:16 pm 

The problem with the Blaze albums, well one of them, is the weak ass guitar production.

My vote out of 4 not great albums was No Prayer. The title track puts it over the top for me.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm 

To clarify (because I think I'm the one who ripped on Invaders in this thread), Invaders is a terrific song with a comparatively weak chorus, hence my comparison to Tailgunner.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm 

That some people are claiming No Prayer, X Factor, or any of these four albums are their favourite Maiden albums utterly baffles me. What about the seven(?!?!) that came before...?

X Factor is my pick, but it's around 30 minutes too long, and a real chore to get through. Great performance from Blaze though, whose voice I like a lot. No Prayer is largely horrible, and Fear of the Dark is schizophrenic: a handful of superb songs mingled with huge turds...Weekend Warrior and oh-my-fucking-god, The Apparition are ghastly songs. Virtual XI is fun but goofy, and the more serious ("epic", haha) songs are way too long.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
That some people are claiming No Prayer, X Factor, or any of these four albums are their favourite Maiden albums utterly baffles me. What about the seven(?!?!) that came before...?

What about them ? Six of those seven I'd rank from good to excellent, but fot me, none of them comes close to "The X Factor". That's just the way it is for me, don't know what to say...

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:34 pm 

What he expects is that you apologize. Apologize and repent. You apologize and you repent until you have no tongue and your legs knees have worn away.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
What he expects is that you apologize. Apologize and repent. You apologize and you repent until you have no tongue and your legs knees have worn away.

:lol: Pretty much! To explain myself Peroy, I don't find much in The X Factor which reminds me why I love Iron Maiden. Instead of swashbuckling heavy metal played with real energy and swagger by a young band, it's morbid and mundane and plodding in many places, with overly depressing lyrics. In their context, I like all of these elements, and I don't want to give the impression of disliking the album -- it's just part of Maiden's discography that is much weaker for me than the material before No Prayer. This is kinda why I pretty much never listen to the last two albums. It isn't really Maiden. I find they're lost the spark that made them so exceptional before.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
MacMoney wrote:

:lol: Pretty much! To explain myself Peroy, I don't find much in The X Factor which reminds me why I love Iron Maiden. Instead of swashbuckling heavy metal played with real energy and swagger by a young band, it's morbid and mundane and plodding in many places, with overly depressing lyrics. In their context, I like all of these elements, and I don't want to give the impression of disliking the album -- it's just part of Maiden's discography that is much weaker for me than the material before No Prayer. This is kinda why I pretty much never listen to the last two albums. It isn't really Maiden. I find they're lost the spark that made them so exceptional before.

I've come to the conclusion that what I love about Maiden are not the same things that most other people seem to love about them (thus explaining the long lasting popularity of an album like "The Number of the Beast") and so I can only add that I also think "The X Factor" is their best because it is nothing like the records that came before it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 pm 

The X Factor isn't bad or anything but it pretty much is just a blueprint for way better albums like AMOLAD and TFF in the following decade - which just had better performances, better pacing, more epic atmosphere, etc. I like about half the songs on X Factor though, and there are a sizeable number of people who really love it, so eh, I wouldn't really be shocked at your statements either. ;)

Victor_Of_The_Void
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:15 am 

Voted for The X Factor. Not my favorite Maiden record but I've always liked it as compared to the rest here.

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:31 am 

Pippin_Took wrote:

X Factor is my pick, but it's around 30 minutes too long, and a real chore to get through. Great performance from Blaze though, whose voice I like a lot. No Prayer is largely horrible, and Fear of the Dark is schizophrenic: a handful of superb songs mingled with huge turds...Weekend Warrior and oh-my-fucking-god, The Apparition are ghastly songs. Virtual XI is fun but goofy, and the more serious ("epic", haha) songs are way too long.

Weekend Warrior is my guilty pleasure. Bruce's singing and the unusually...rocky guitar solo helps. I love the cheese here.

The Apparation starts okay but I get tired of it it in a hurry.

X Factor and Virtual XI is brutal in my opinion, I can sing better than Blaze, good songwriter though. Not impressed by the guitar work on X Factor especially though, just seems bland except for "Man On The Edge" and "Sign Of The Cross."

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:56 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The X Factor isn't bad or anything but it pretty much is just a blueprint for way better albums like AMOLAD and TFF in the following decade

Given that TFF is my least favorite Maiden release of all time, I can't agree with you on that one. AMOLAD had a lot of X Factor influences though and I like it a lot, but it's not as good imo... There are two, three songs that fall flat for me.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:04 am 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
The problem with the Blaze albums, well one of them, is the weak ass guitar production.

My vote out of 4 not great albums was No Prayer. The title track puts it over the top for me.

The drums are weak as hell too.

The drum sound on Fear Of The Dark is great, the snare is super cool. But it can't save the album :P

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:32 am 

Compared to earlier and later Maiden, just about everyone will agree that this era is by far the weakest of the bands history to date. Fear of the Dark would probably regarded with equal disdain as No Prayer is if it wasn't for the seminal title track. Virtual XI would probably get my vote if The Angel and the Gambler was dropped from the record. That said, my vote goes to The X Factor. It's the most solid of all the albums listed, and there are some damn cool songs on that record.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:02 pm 

I personally think they were all weak albums compared to previous albums. Each album had had one or two songs that I enjoy, but overall very forgettable albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next