Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 am 

So I was flipping through the current April/May 2013 issue of Revolver and noticed in the directory, an interview with Ghost was included

Keeping in mind how much I enjoyed their debut album and was looking forward to their sohphomore full-length, I scanned the pages and the first thing I saw was a huge illustrated picture of Ghost with the nameless ghouls' faces showing. After seeing this, I thought to myself a big "what the fuck" because these guys can't even do an interview without their voices masked, but they're completely okay with having their faces shown now? I mean sure, the image is illustrated, but it's still showing explicit detail of who they are.

Also, the big moment you've probably been expecting and waiting for... I took a picture of the image in the magazine.

Here it is:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:17 am 

Well, you already said it. It's illustrated, not a photo. Maybe they don't even look like that.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 am 

I, for one, hope their career trajectory is a lot like KISS and I get to watch people being all excitable about both taking the make-up off and putting it back on again.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:21 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Well, you already said it. It's illustrated, not a photo. Maybe they don't even look like that.

If they don't even look like that, then why not just illustrate them with plain blank darkness over their faces?
You also have to keep in mind, illustrated facial descriptions do a lot. For example; police sketches of people's faces based merely on description have done a lot for solving crimes and finding out who they need to find.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:26 am 

They obviously try very hard to keep their identities a secret, I just don't see Ghost giving them away like this. This could just be part of their little game. Releasing a illustration with actual faces (but not their real faces) seems like a really ghost thing to do.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:32 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
They obviously try very hard to keep their identities a secret, I just don't see Ghost giving them away like this. This could just be part of their little game. Releasing a illustration with actual faces (but not their real faces) seems like a really ghost thing to do.

These faces being "fake faces" has definitely crossed my mind when I saw this picture originally. However, it could also be a slowly but surely means to them perhaps wanting to actually reveal themselves eventually.

I know all this sounds crazy... But without a doubt, this find was enough for me to have to put it on blast.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 am 

Maybe it's real, maybe not. It's sort of a pointless exercise to even talk about it to be honest. That's the purpose of this picture though, more publicity and 'omfgmaybeitsthem" hysteria.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 am 

The guy under the word "with" on the right looks kinda like Mario Di Donato from the Italian band The Black when he was younger. lol

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 am 

All the faces are Phil Anselmo, and he would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids!

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 am 

The guy on the left to Papa Emeritus II looks a lot like Satyr, most likely not him though.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:41 am 

they look truly creepy

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 am 

Yep Phil Anselmo is every face. I spotted that right away.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:32 am 

Meh, it's not that hard to recognize that the Ghouls are all Phil Anselmo from different era.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:41 am 

Mystery solved then; Phil Anselmo and his clones are Ghost.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:51 am 

Too bad they left out glam Anselmo. Glam... Anselmo... dare I say it? Glamselmo?

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:55 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Too bad they left out glam Anselmo. Glam... Anselmo... dare I say it? Glamselmo?

Glam Anselmo IS Papa Emeritus.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 pm 

Glamselmo was a hot chick, she was sacrificed on the altar of devil by Papa Emeritus. The devil was pleased and gifted those LaVeyan tough guys to Papa.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:12 pm 

To reply to something in the OP, there actually are a couple interviews floating around the internet of Nameless Ghouls without the voice distortion. There was one on Youtube that I looked for but can't find right now, and the other is from Full Metal Jackie last year.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=173833

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 pm 

ENKC wrote:
I, for one, hope their career trajectory is a lot like KISS and I get to watch people being all excitable about both taking the make-up off and putting it back on again.

Yes, I can't wait for the part when once they take off the makeup, no one will give a shit about them anymore.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
ENKC wrote:

Yes, I can't wait for the part when once they take off the makeup, no one will give a shit about them anymore.

Oh wow, you sound like a winner...

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm 

I'd have thought the logo was a big enough clue, it's just a side project of Devildriver.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
ENKC wrote:

I would actually like them more without the makeup.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:44 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Mystery solved then; Phil Anselmo and his clones are Ghost.

Phil Anselmo was born in Sweden as it seems :lol:

But I swear, if these are actually all variations of his faces. Now I'm wondering how I didn't spot this before.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:40 pm 

OceanOfViolence wrote:
Metal_Detector wrote:

Glam Anselmo IS Papa Emeritus.

jajaja this is why i love forums :P

and fuck yeah ill spoil everyones fun
here you go, Papa Emeritus looks like and english kiddo from an alternative indie band

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:45 pm 

Tobias Forge has the weirdest note I've ever seen. It doesn't point, more sinks into his face.

Heavy_T_Skubbs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:58 pm 

Ghost are manifesting into reality, becoming corporeal beings at last as their popularity grows.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm 

Also, guy in the very back of that Magna Carta Cartel band shot with slightly darker mustache looks like the Nameless Ghoul on the very right of the full group illustration. His name is Martin Persner, and he was the guitarist of both Magna Carta Cartel and Subvision.

A Google search actually gave me a Tumblr post specifying who each Nameless Ghoul is. Not gonna post it here since there are some people that don't want the surprise ruined for them.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:37 pm 

Subrick wrote:
A Google search actually gave me a Tumblr post specifying who each Nameless Ghoul is. Not gonna post it here since there are some people that don't want the surprise ruined for them.

You know, at the very least you could, you know, post the link with spoiler warnings instead of just being all "I KNOW DIS AND U GUYS DONT". :roll:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 pm 

If you insist.

http://theoutletepoch.tumblr.com/post/2 ... band-ghost

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:49 pm 

Spoiler tags wouldn't have worked anyway, considering everyone would have just gone "Oh, someone's posting a picture that's a bit too big..."

Not sure how credible that source seems, really. I'm not really invested in the secrecy or unmasking of Ghost, particularly, but it was a charming mystique - good showmanship.

Of course, if they want to keep secret, and a members identity becomes widely known, presumably they can just pretend he left, and proceed to carry on as usual.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 pm 

Wow, the band Papa Emeritus was in sounds awesome. Definitely liking the songs I'm hearing so far.

Song link behind spoiler tags:
Spoiler: show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1RLH-jb_As

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:00 pm 

Subvision is an awesome band. Aside from the voice being the same as Papa Emeritus's, there's a song they have that I forget the name of right now where Tobias uses the term "secular haze".

Also, Tobias was the guitarist and singer for Repugnant, who have one of my favorite Swedeath albums with Epitome of Darkness.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:01 pm 

What Subrick found is pretty much it and not too hard to figure out.
Ghost was created to bring attention to their sound. I mean, it's not that much different from what they did in both those other bands, it's only a little bit heavier.

Without the whole gimmick they wouldn't have gathered all this attention. It's nothing new really. Kiss did it and Alice Cooper did it.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 pm 

the problem with secret identities...Tobias is a WELL known guy, at the end of the day its impossible in this world of internet and connectivity to mantain that as a big secret, its a cool idea and has a certain old school charm to it...anyway, new album its kinda cool, and the video clip its hella good

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 pm 

Porman wrote:

Without the whole gimmick they wouldn't have gathered all this attention. It's nothing new really. Kiss did it and Alice Cooper did it.

This. The music itself is quite unremarkable, but since they look 'mysterious'... just like Slipknot or Mushroomhead for the kids.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 pm 

Except Alice Cooper had really good music in the early 70s. The theater part grew up with it, and was not originally the point. That said, I haven't actually listened to Ghost and I don't care.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm 

Flugeldufel wrote:
Except Alice Cooper had really good music in the early 70s. The theater part grew up with it, and was not originally the point. That said, I haven't actually listened to Ghost and I don't care.

Okay its not the greatest band ever but their debut album its decent, to say the least. Check it out, you will have a great time if you dig 70s hard rock mixed with some doomish vibe (just the vibe, not the music) and king diamond worship.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:33 am 

IanThrash wrote:
Okay its not the greatest band ever but their debut album its decent, to say the least. Check it out, you will have a great time if you dig 70s hard rock mixed with some doomish vibe (just the vibe, not the music) and king diamond worship.

They don't sound like MF/KD.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:11 am 

There are errant moments scattered throughout Opus Eponymous that have a Mercyful Fate vibe to them, particularly the solo in Elizabeth. Aside from that, they are nothing like MF sound wise. It's more the open, subject matter heavy Satanism that gets them the MF comparison than anything involving the music.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:48 am 

the weak, thin, high pitched vocals remind me a lot of MF/KD

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next