Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:51 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLajXsv ... r_embedded

I'll admit that their last release was underwhelming, but I'm still hopeful, so I'll be watching this one closely.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:55 pm 

You forgot the most important piece of info (or I should say if anyone wants to see it in article form):

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=188005

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:01 pm 

I'm really hoping this picks up where Fiction left off, since I too was really disappointed with We are the Void. The cover art isn't anything special, but I guess it fits in with the Character and Fiction aesthetic. I'm really stoked to hear a song.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:18 pm 

^ Same here. We Are the Void was really DT's first honest misstep in their history to me but damn was it a doozy. Agreed that Character and Fiction really gave the band a new lease on life and I'm hoping it's up to that standard in quality. The "most diverse" comment slightly concerns me as that could mean anything, but I'd like to think that they're aware of how fans reacted to the last album and have therefore ditched a lot of those unnecessary elements this time around.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 pm 

Can't say I'm looking forward to this. Most of the stuff they've done after the early albums has been seriously underwhelming. I use to like them a lot but their current dull brand of melodic death metal just leaves me cold.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 pm 

Damn the U.S. cover art is seriously lame, that's kind of a bummer. But yeah I'm more hoping this picks up where Projector left off but that'll never happen so whatever I'll still buy it cause I love Dark Tranquillity.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:24 pm 

We are the void wasn't too bad it's kind of in the same category of albums like Blood Oath or Evisceration plague, kind of a half hearted attempt with signs of age but still has a few good songs on it. I'm optimistic that the band can at least keep up their modern sound at least to the extent of Fiction. This band still has a lot of power in their collective ability, I am sure it will at least have a few good songs at the barest and weakest outcome.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 am 

We Are the Void grew on me and now I like it more than Character, which I thought was a bit repetitive anyway. The keyboards were featured more prominently but that is what gave it its own vibe, and it had some excellent songs, particularly In My Absence which might just be my favourite song by the band (which is saying a lot). From the trailer it seems the new album will be heavier, which should be a good change of peace for a few songs, but I hope it delivers on that promise of being more varied, and bringing more of that gothic metal influences from Projector would be great. I'd like to hear a full song only with Stanne's cleans.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:19 am 

FantomLord17 wrote:
I'd like to hear a full song only with Stanne's cleans.

I'd like to hear a whole album with only Stanne's clean vocals but again that'l; never happen so hopefully at least one or two songd but I feel that's just wishfull thinking at best.

Azmodes wrote:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am 

I quite like We Are the Void. It doesn't contain the most memorable of moments, but I really like the black metal undertone of it all. Especially when talking about Arkhangelsk. I hope they'll continue this trend on Construct, only more fleshed out and focused.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:07 am 

My biggest beef with the last few albums is the significant lack of the monstrous guitar work that made the early albums so great. I've liked everything they've put out to a degree, but I feel like they haven't produced anything more than vanilla since "Damage Done".

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 am 

Awful cover art and what happened to the old logo? That logo is more suitable for a dubstep band.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I'd like to hear a whole album with only Stanne's clean vocals

I'd be fine with this so long as it wasn't a Dark Tranquillity album.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:26 am 

Razakel wrote:
I'd like to hear a whole album with only Stanne's clean vocals

I'd be fine with this so long as it wasn't a Dark Tranquillity album.

I'd be fine with this EVEN if it was a Dark Tranquillity album... his clean voice is wicked awesome.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:24 pm 

:lol: Am I the only one who doesn't like Stanne's clean vocals? They're not terrible, but they just sound forced...

Anyway, this looks promising. That little snippet they played sounded awesome, and it will be nice to hear some experimentation from a band that's been around for so long. My one qualm is the cover art...it's very meh.

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 pm 

ahr888 wrote:
Can't say I'm looking forward to this. Most of the stuff they've done after the early albums has been seriously underwhelming. I use to like them a lot but their current dull brand of melodic death metal just leaves me cold.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the band as well. I wish them all the luck in the world with this new album though.

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:15 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
:lol: Am I the only one who doesn't like Stanne's clean vocals? They're not terrible, but they just sound forced...

No I've heard a lot of people say they don't like it I just feel that it fits the music (especially on Projector) perfectly. I really wish that Hammerfall had actually released something with him singing, if I could ever find a demo or something that would make me a very happy man.

Azmodes wrote:

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 pm 

I hope they regain some kind of aggression, they've been making inoffensive melodeath for years.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:31 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:

No I've heard a lot of people say they don't like it I just feel that it fits the music (especially on Projector) perfectly. I really wish that Hammerfall had actually released something with him singing, if I could ever find a demo or something that would make me a very happy man.

Well this might make you slightly happy if you haven't seen it before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI69cxvGrfs

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 pm 

The only thing that drives me nuts about Dark Tranquillity is they always save 3-5 good songs for some "deluxe" edition later on. They seem to record 15 or 16 songs for most of their albums. I hate waiting a year or two for them to release the bonus tracks, which always wind up being fantastic songs.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:05 am 

Yeah thanks Folkemon that was a pretty cool video

Azmodes wrote:

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:27 pm 

Evoken wrote:
The only thing that drives me nuts about Dark Tranquillity is they always save 3-5 good songs for some "deluxe" edition later on. They seem to record 15 or 16 songs for most of their albums. I hate waiting a year or two for them to release the bonus tracks, which always wind up being fantastic songs.

Yeah. The bonus tracks for We Are The Void and Damage Done were great. I'd prefer if they released these tracks as an EP a few months before or after the album is released (like My Dying Bride did and apparently Soilwork will do) rather than the mess that were WATV multiple editions.

Referring again to Stanne's clean vocals, I like that they use them like another, natural component of their songs rather than fall into the trap of abusing harsh-verse/clean-chorus. They might not be strong enough to carry a whole band alone, but when they've been used they fit the songs like Erosion said. That there are quite a few fans that actually want more is a testament to that, and a testament to Dark Tranquillity needing more variety in their songwriting to keep satisfied (I say this considering songs like Misery's Crown and Iridium as brief, welcome additions/variations/deviations to their formula).
Still, the "It's a choice between heaven..." line from Punish My Heaven might be Stanne's clean vocals best moment.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 pm 

FantomLord17 wrote:
Referring again to Stanne's clean vocals, I like that they use them like another, natural component of their songs rather than fall into the trap of abusing harsh-verse/clean-chorus. They might not be strong enough to carry a whole band alone, but when they've been used they fit the songs like Erosion said. That there are quite a few fans that actually want more is a testament to that, and a testament to Dark Tranquillity needing more variety in their songwriting to keep satisfied (I say this considering songs like Misery's Crown and Iridium as brief, welcome additions/variations/deviations to their formula).
Still, the "It's a choice between heaven..." line from Punish My Heaven might be Stanne's clean vocals best moment.

Agreed the Soilwork syndrome as I like to call it gets really old really fast. As far as his best clean moment I would have to nominate To a Bitter Halt and Therein but as I've already said the whole of Projector is just perfect, in fact I would say that is my all time favorite album. There's just something about his voice that no other clean singer can match in my opinion.

Azmodes wrote:

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:11 am 

I actually quite liked We Are The Void! Arkhangelsk is one of my favorite DT songs ever.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:52 am 

We Are the Void pretty much did pick up where Fiction left off in that it featured a few tracks reminiscent of those on the latter, but placed more emphasis on their progressive leanings and added a sort of symphonic black metal grandiosity to the mix. I will agree that it's not as good as Fiction was, but I, for one, still regard it as one of their best outings. Not really sure why views on it are as polarised as they are.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:31 pm 

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=188753

New song called "For Broken Words". Has very nice atmosphere, but not much in the way of riffs. Just sounds like it'd be more fitting of background music to a brooding horror scene or something. Not much of the Dark Tranquillity I know. In other words, not good.

Hearing that actually made me reconsider my dislike for Character and Fiction.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:34 pm 

I like the new song, but I think I was kind of expecting/hoping for, I dunno, something more? They've been advertising this album as their most experimental since Projector, so I guess I'll wait to listen to it in full. This is pretty nice though, I like the unconventional structure and the melodic breaks. Stanne still sounds really good, so that's something. I bet there will be more clean vocals on the album, too.

Ozzy, you dislike Character and Fiction? Who are you? :aww:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:46 pm 

Razakel wrote:

Hmm, "dislike" may have been too strong. I feel that after the awesome Damage Done, the band kind of peaked with that modern melodic death sound. I became a fan of DT around the time Character came out and at the time I liked the album, but over the years it became more boring. The same happened with Fiction. However, after hearing WATV and this new song, I feel like those albums are better than I remembered.

Believe me, I'm a DT fan. Projector, The Gallery, and Damage Done RULE.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:09 pm 

Not better than WATV and that one was a turd.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:54 pm 

I liked this actually, but not for the reasons I liked some of the older work. This track actually seemed moodier, darker, more focused on atmosphere, not bad but hoping for more.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:28 pm 

I am loving the direction this is taking. No, it's not particularly complicated, but it's interesting. I'm jizzing buckets over the drums here. It feels like they've taken one or two cues from their fellow Swedes in Katatonia--probably why it is so progressively sombre. It permeates through the whole song, but you notice it especially around the 2:48 mark. It's more aggressive though, and still unmistakably Dark Tranquillity. That is to say that it is definitely softer, but I consider that as something of a prominent aspect of maturity: they've been around for about 24 years, and know by now that good metal isn't always about making the hardest shit.
The top comment for the Youtube vid put it most aptly:

"I like how Dark Tranquillity truly sound like their name."

Dark n' tranquil. I'm not complaining. :)

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 pm 

This is good, definitely good, but not great. Though it is a step in the right direction at least in the middle there, I don't know though I guess I just got my hopes up too damn high that they would revisit Projector. I guess there is always next time right...

OzzyApu wrote:
Razakel wrote:

Hmm, "dislike" may have been too strong. I feel that after the awesome Damage Done, the band kind of peaked with that modern melodic death sound. I became a fan of DT around the time Character came out and at the time I liked the album, but over the years it became more boring. The same happened with Fiction. However, after hearing WATV and this new song, I feel like those albums are better than I remembered.

Believe me, I'm a DT fan. Projector, The Gallery, and Damage Done RULE.

I'm with you Ozzy I would say that Sky Dancer aside through Damage Done was their best material with Projector being the pinnacle of all things Dark Tranquillity, that album truly is dark tranquility in musical form. Though I would have to add In Flame's Lunar Strain to the list of my favorite Dark Tranquillity albums because Stanne is just fucking boss on the album and it feels way more Dark Tranquillity than In Flames to me.

Azmodes wrote:

JakeTheSage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 pm 

It sounds way too rhythmic to me. Not really melodeath-y.

It's still...okay...I guess.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:19 pm 

While its not up to par with what they've done before, it sounds lik a step up. I think it's the atmosphere of it that elevates it up.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:35 pm 

Gatherum wrote:
I am loving the direction this is taking. No, it's not particularly complicated, but it's interesting. I'm jizzing buckets over the drums here. It feels like they've taken one or two cues from their fellow Swedes in Katatonia--probably why it is so progressively sombre.

I had the same thought. This reminds me a hell of a lot like something off of Night is the New Day or Dead End Kings. I would love it if Construct was full of stuff like this; I'm sure it'll have some melodeath-y moments but IMO they could use a change in direction.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 pm 

Pretty interesting, surprised me. I kinda lost interest after Fiction, but not so much because I disliked the album. I guess I'll have to give it another shot and actually listen to Into the Void.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:06 am 

The new song definitely sounds like the band might be taking a different direction, more atmospheric. No complains about it, sounds good. Hopefully it will be better than "We Are The Void"

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:29 am 

"For Broken Words" lacks a single blow-you-away-melody and is less energetic, but tries hard to compensate in atmosphere. Hmm... may work better in context of the full album...

Not terrible, though...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:26 am 

I like it. I can see why people are saying things to the effect of it being more of an album track than an obvious single choice. I can imagine it fitting quite well as a 'lull' in between more riff-centric tracks. I'm on a bit of a melodeath bender at the moment, so I hope to be getting more familiar with their catalogue in the coming months.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:42 am 

I really like the last album, which was more diverse and dynamic, it surprises me to see all this "hate" against that album.

Gonna listen to the new soon as soon as I can, by the way both covers are bad but the second one is just terrible.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next