Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:51 am 

Glad to see Barshasketh, Folkvang and Nocturnal Vomit getting some recognition here. All very good bands.

Feretrum was a Spanish band which played Death Metal in the vein of Morbid Angel. They released an awesome full length tape titled From Far Beyond. Despite the poor production, its still one hell of a record. Aggressive, furious riffing with raspy vocals.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_VLFSQ8QA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlC_VLFSQ8QA

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:27 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Slavic folk/black

Jarun have released album in 2012 and it's very developed especially for a demo band. Negura Bunget fans should enjoy this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RgzGRF5g0

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:31 am 

ThePoop wrote:
Also I'm I want to discuss two bands from China. Though they're not entirely obscure in the east, I really don't know many westerners who know of Ego Fall and Tengger Cavalry. Ego Fall combines excellent metalcore with Mongolian folk music and throat singing in such a wonderful way. The molding of these elements is so surprisingly awesome and is truly unique compared to a lot of what's been rehashed in metal over the decades. Tengger Cavalry is more black metal oriented, and combine some real epic tunes with eastern intrumentation and throat singing as well. A refreshing twist on black/folk metal. Metal doesn't have too long a history in China, and so these bands seem to exude a fresh energy I just don't hear from a lot of other projects.
Spoiler: show

Damn Poop I'm really digging this stuff, nice job. As for my contribution I'll add the Chinese band Darkness Over Depth. Really great stuff and pretty hard to find too. Though I will say this, the vocals can be a bit iffy from time to time. Here's his MA page http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dar ... epth/40923

And some youtube links. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxnju5g7HcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZt9bPnlde0

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:

Holy SHIT that Folkvang was good. Guitars were a bit thin, but those riffs are just heavenly and the music as a whole is pretty, energetic and forceful. I don't really have all that much to say about it because it's not that special in regards to originality, but it all comes together in a way you usually don't hear in one-man projects. Added to my list of stuff to check out later.

That Sarkrista track was interesting...I like how vigorous the riffs and drumming feel. I feel like the vocals might need to grow on me a bit...I like their purpose in the music (almost like a prideful boast of superiority) but the actual execution feels a bit weird to me. I feel like this is something I'd appreciate more after I let it sit for a while and then come back to it.

Warwulf are alright but not really my thing. The intro riff sounds almost exactly like a riff from Arckanum's "Þann Svartís", or some other song from ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ (an album which I wasn't really a huge fan of). I don't mind rawness in and of itself, but I didn't think it suited that song very well. Same goes for the pained, screeched rasps echoing through the whole thing. I imagine this would be pretty good for people who like this sort of black metal, but it's never been my cup of tea.

Sapthuran weren't really my thing either. They also reminded me a bit of Arckanum (though that may be due more to my inexperience with many big names in black metal than there being an actual comparison to be made), but the guitar tone felt a bit too watered-down, like it needed a bit more treble added into the mix. That drumming, programmed or otherwise (not sure), was really annoying. It sounded very static, like just an endless wave of repetitive tapping. So overall I liked 2/4, not bad. :)

I'll check out some more of these in a little while.

Yes I just really discovered Folkvang a few months ago and was floored by it, Sarkrista have a lot of potential I think. Warwulf and Sapthuran are not in my favorite bands list, but I do really enjoy them when I'm in the right mood.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:04 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Warwulf-I listened to the "raw, primitive, great riffs" track- I dunno man, I loved the guitar tone these guys had but to me, it just reeked of too much "Transylvanian Hunger" worship. Now, there is nothing inherantly wrong with that, but it's been done so many times by countless bands, and it's a hard style to get right without sounding repetitive and tiresome. That's the problem with this band. It's decent quality tremolo picked, reptitive drumming, melodic black metal but that's all that can be said for it. It isnt THAT raw or primitive either. When I hear that description, I think of stuff like this, which incidently is perfect for this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyzLv7FVzlw
No melodic, generic Nordic Forest Pagan Winter type riffs here! THIS is raw, primitive blackness.

Well I may not always be the best at coming up with the right adjectives... I can understand where you're coming from, but I think people (especially Darkthrone themselves) give Darkthrone too much credit for being worshipped/copied. If it sounds good to you then that's all that really matters. I do really like that Halla track though thanks for posting I will check them out :headbang:

Here's a couple more that I like:
Graupel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_TBBE6S6I
Zorn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjbpURpkuv4

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:13 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
I don't know how famous these guys are, but a few years ago I heard this band called Abaddon Incarnate and holy shit, did they punch me in face. People that want another None So Vile should check out their debut (The Last Supper) right NOW.

I love Abaddon Incarnate, but I never really got any NSV from them, they're much more grindcore. Although bringing up the subject of obscure NSV worship, I give you Defacing. They're a good step further into the brutal death than the technical, but the riffs are as close as any bands I've ever heard, and the vocals, are very in line with Worms barks, although he lacks the higher end shrieks. The album isn't perfect, since they lack some of the variation and nuance of the source material, but it's certainly cool to hear someone doing music in this style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zdi4Ux6X0

Defacing! I know those guys, pretty brutal and relentless stuff! Their last album is better than the one you posted IMO, check it out!

In a related recommendation, Visceral is a pretty good band to check out too:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:13 am 

Peroy wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:
Warwulf: 1 man band from the USA apparently, raw, primitive, great riffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3R8fJeM5Dw

Honestly, I enjoy this song much more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJvMTzVMbZ0

But the idiology behind this seems to be kinda iffy, at least... just saying. Big turn off for me...

Edit: Never noticed the "Anti-semitism" in the bands lyrical themes... Maybe I won't actually buy the album now haha

Yeah that's from the upcoming album which I almost posted, but went with something different. I'm looking forward to that album though. Sorry for posting so much this will be my last one for awhile! I'm going through all the bands posted on here so far and I like a lot of them. Barshasketh, Trollheim's Grott and Halla are my favorites so far, Ordering the Barshasketh shirt/cd bundle direct from them on FB actually. Mareritt, Lo-Ruhamah and Endless Dismal Moan are interesting as well, but that's about as far as I've made it down the list.

Here's 2 more BM bands:
Lux Serpent of Eden: A band from Thailand of all places, kind of a Drudkhish feel, pretty good stuff I think. I have their full length which is limited to 66 copies, but their older stuff sounds more Leviathany, but with less focus on being depressing and no annoying tracks of just noise and screaming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S1BS34GrOg

Olc Sinnsir: Such a shame they only released 1 album, but it was a majestic black metal masterpiece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JlUmbOoCrU

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:47 pm 

Ebonsight were (?) an all female black metal band from Turkey which seemed like such a novelty to me that I wanted to check them out. They only released two demos in 94 and 97, the latter of which I downloaded and been spinning regularly since. It contains two bm and three keyboard tracks. The music is atmospheric melodic black metal somewhere between Rotting Christ and early Satyricon with a dash of Beherit.

If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm 

I'll post a few. Good thread idea.

Samayoi: Depressive black metal from Japan. Puts most of it's similar artists to shame, as I don't really listen to much depressive black metal besides this.

Coffinworm: The perfect combination of sludge and black metal, coming straight from Indiana. Really dirty tone delivered from both drums and guitar.

Empyrean Eclipse: Colorado band with a thrashy melodic death metal sound. I found these guys through the local scene a long time ago.

Hopelorn: Another crossover black metal band, but this time with crust punk influence. One of the heaviest black metal bands I know.

Last edited by Unorthodox on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
In a related recommendation, Visceral is a pretty good band to check out too:

Honestly, this just sounds like your average, run of the mill brutal death metal with a slightly worse production...

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:41 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Olc Sinnsir: Such a shame they only released 1 album, but it was a majestic black metal masterpiece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JlUmbOoCrU

Hah, I was going to post them except for the review that they had. Still, definitely a very looked-over album, that I can only strongly recommend.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:58 pm 

One of my favorite "obscure" bands are also one of the bands I am shocked are still "obscure" in the first place... the mighty Putrevore.

I mean the band features two of the most well known guys in Death Metal in Rogga and Dave Rotten, and last year released one of the finest Death Metal albums of the decade in Macabre Kingdom, not to mentioned, IMHO, the best worship Death Metal album of all time with Morphed From Deadbreath. worshiping the legendary Rottrevore:

From Macabre Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJIhXN42pIA

From Morphed From Deadbreath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ho8aLAWuQ

I could post a lot more, but this isnt the rec board and I don't want to just post a shit ton of recs. Most of them I can understand why they are obscure and didn't or are not really taking off, but this is the one band I don't understand why they are not causing fanboys to shit themselves. Putrevore destroy 98% of these Old School DM Revival bands, yet they have never taken off.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:05 pm 

PureFrackingArmageddon wrote:
I've only met one other person (on the internet) who knew of this amazing japanese black metal band Endless Dismal Moan and they really loved them just as much as I do. A great great band that sounds like nothing else I've ever heard, especially the screams they're so insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3B-vmO_9pg

This was...also odd. :D Not really my thing as far as actual music goes, but it's unique, at least. Gives off a bit too much of a circus vibe for my tastes, but it's charming in a weird way.
FengisRipRider wrote:
Gotta Mention Pre Teen Death Fuck, the exact 50/50 of black metal and thrash metal, great stuff, tape i got fom trirod records was awesome.

Listened to a song on their Bandcamp and it was pretty fucking awesome! Reminds me sort of like a grimier Anaal Nathrakh (like maybe how I imagine Fukpig would sound if I was more familiar with them). This was sweet, all of you should check it out. :)
Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Barshasketh play very majestic, agile black-metal, with something of a Finnish sound in the vein of acts like Sargeist. They're the sort of band who really manage to squeeze a huge amount of atmosphere out of raw production values and un-crowded instrumentation, and likewise manage to be dynamic, exploring more than just blasting, tremolos and the like. I really enjoy the clunky, but beautiful and utterly freezing sound which I'd usually associate with old-school Norwegian black-metal.

This was alright. I can't really pin it, but something about this just didn't really connect with me. Maybe I just don't like this sort of "frantic"-sounding black metal much - nothing wrong with it, but the riffing style doesn't do much for me personally. I see others in the thread are digging it though, so meh, thanks for posting it.
w0Lf wrote:
I'd like to shift the spotlight to Infester, a death metal band from the northwest US. This band is a bit more well-known than the demo bands posted so far--their album is a cult classic in some circles--but still unheard of by most metal heads. They play some of the dirtiest, downright vile death metal I've ever heard. They are masters of atmosphere, but aren't content to stick with a single mood like most bands. Their songs are constructed around contrasting segments that range from blasting grind riffs to long spooky melodies backed by keyboard to trudging breakdowns (NOT -core breakdowns -- this is 1994!). They are truly masters of songwriting -- while their songs contain lots of riffs, it never feels like they just threw them in for the sake of it; every riff serves a purpose in the greater context of the song. It's definitely in my top 10 death metal albums and it'd be great if they could start being mentioned more when bringing up classic old school DM albums.

I'd already known of Infester, but your post reminded me that I needed to check them out again, which reaffirms me that yes, they are as awesome as I remember them being. :) Those vocals are fucking tortured, and the guitar tone is surprisingly heavy considering when the album was released. These guys almost seem like a precursor to brutal death metal, really.

Again, I'll get to more people's later, and maybe I'll add another band of my own to the thread with my next post.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:53 pm 

Quite some time ago I discovered Apostisy, a random Melodic Death/Doom band from Texas who released one album back in 1997. And it actually rocks my cocks. If you can get past the fact that they're Christian (which you should, if you're not lame) you will find yourself reminded of a doomy American version of Amon Amarth. Although there isn't a wide variety among the songs and they drag on a bit longer than necessary, it's packed with plenty of awesomely somber and epic riffs, great vocals, and some nice acoustic interludes. The production isn't the best (nor the youtube quality) but it is quite the nice gem. Do check it out. This song in particular has, in my opinion, a clear AA vibe.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:02 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Quite some time ago I discovered Apostisy, a random Melodic Death/Doom band from Texas who released one album back in 1997. And it actually rocks my cocks. If you can get past the fact that they're Christian (which you should, if you're not lame) you will find yourself reminded of a doomy American version of Amon Amarth. Although there isn't a wide variety among the songs and they drag on a bit longer than necessary, it's packed with plenty of awesomely somber and epic riffs, great vocals, and some nice acoustic interludes. The production isn't the best (nor the youtube quality) but it is quite the nice gem. Do check it out. This song in particular has, in my opinion, a clear AA vibe.

You got more than one cock ?

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:11 pm 

In a cage, you should hear them in early mornings.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 am 

Well, Smile carved sour are pretty obscure. I like their both demos. On the first one they are playing music in the vein of Ved buens ende.
On the second demo (which finally leaked this week!) they dropped most of their VBE-ish vibes and transformed into some sot of psychedelic experimnetal metal, but still it is interesting and unusual listen.

I dont know how much known this oldschool thrash metal band is, probably not much, and somewhere it is said that it is Voivod rip-off or something... I dont know because I am not very well versed in thrash metal, however there are some exceptions. I just like what I hear.

From some reason I have a soft spot for these norwegians. It's not very original death metal but execution is very good. I am curious if they will ever come up with something new.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 am 

Draugsang could or better should find more listeners. Unfotunately they never released a full
album but just an EP and a split. Anyway for any fan of bleak yet melodic 2nd wave BM with
some "strange" (!?) atmosphere, this could be sth...

The production is somewhat muddy/fuzzy but not so much that it really disturbes from liestening.
In fact it increases the music and adds some kind of mid-90s-feel. The songs maybe don't grab
you directly from the first played second and approach your mind a bit slowly but then remain there!
All songs have sth about them I can't really compare with other bands (if so maybe very old Dimmu,
Kvist and Strid) and often wonderful, blissful melodies appear in the strange and bleak atmosphere of their songs.

The songs formerly on youtube aren't there anymore :/ But on their myspace page there seem to be some:
http://www.myspace.com/draugsang

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:25 am 

When you say "nobodies", I think of all the great, great creative demo bands with huge potential that just disappeared. As opposed to those demo bands where one or a couple of the members left and went on to achieve great things.

Bastille
US power/prog from San Diego. Released three demos between 89 and 92. Their second demo might as well have been released as a full length album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cavz4gj1jQ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijnwfwo_wwk

Rossos
Muscular speed/heavy metal from the very north of Sweden, Kiruna. This four track live recording from 1982 is all they ever did, apparently. It's like a mix of Exciter and Maiden (check out the Aces High paraphrase, two years before Aces High), raw and melodic. It pains me to this day that I never got to hear more from these guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PihNVILkIw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcFYXvjfU0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW3G5HHFoNY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saseyUppOvo

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:30 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
Draugsang could or better should find more listeners. Unfotunately they never released a full
album but just an EP and a split. Anyway for any fan of bleak yet melodic 2nd wave BM with

The production is somewhat muddy/fuzzy but not so much that it really disturbes from liestening.
In fact it increases the music and adds some kind of mid-90s-feel. The songs maybe don't grab
you directly from the first played second and approach your mind a bit slowly but then remain there!
All songs have sth about them I can't really compare with other bands (if so maybe very old Dimmu,
Kvist and Strid) and often wonderful, blissful melodies appear in the strange and bleak atmosphere of their songs.

The songs formerly on youtube aren't there anymore :/ But on their myspace page there seem to be some:

This is beautiful, thank you, grauer_mausling. The comparison with Kvist is well-deserved, though these guys are a lot slower. Pity they only put out an EP, but needless to say I'll be buying it. Absolutely wonderful.

ZEROMETAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:44 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
ThePoop wrote:
Also I'm I want to discuss two bands from China. Though they're not entirely obscure in the east, I really don't know many westerners who know of Ego Fall and Tengger Cavalry. Ego Fall combines excellent metalcore with Mongolian folk music and throat singing in such a wonderful way. The molding of these elements is so surprisingly awesome and is truly unique compared to a lot of what's been rehashed in metal over the decades. Tengger Cavalry is more black metal oriented, and combine some real epic tunes with eastern intrumentation and throat singing as well. A refreshing twist on black/folk metal. Metal doesn't have too long a history in China, and so these bands seem to exude a fresh energy I just don't hear from a lot of other projects.

Damn Poop I'm really digging this stuff, nice job. As for my contribution I'll add the Chinese band Darkness Over Depth. Really great stuff and pretty hard to find too. Though I will say this, the vocals can be a bit iffy from time to time. Here's his MA page http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dar ... epth/40923

And some youtube links. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxnju5g7HcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZt9bPnlde0

Ah, good to see some recognition of those bands!

I'd never really gotten into Ego Fall (perhaps I'm not really into metalcore that much), but I think I need to revisit them again.

Tengger Cavalry are one of my favourites, as is Darkness Over Depth.

For more folky, throat-singing metal, try The Nine Treasures:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JK9NZW6haI

If you like DoD, browse through the catalogue of ËDÏËH - there's a range of ambient black / dark acoustic; you might find an album to your taste.

Far East metal? Oh yes. Click.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:09 pm 

ZEROMETAL wrote:
I'd never really gotten into Ego Fall (perhaps I'm not really into metalcore that much), but I think I need to revisit them again.

Definitely revisit. They're amazing. They get a metalcore tag, but there's a lot of a modern melodic metal sound in there too. Sort of like Eluveitie or Arch Enemy.

And by the way Nine Treasures is awesome! I hadn't heard them before.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:17 pm 

Yeah ZEROMETAL that's some good stuff too though the main problem I have is that I can't get a hold of any of these band's physical releases save for one Darkness Over Depth CD I managed to find on ebay a while back. Do you know of anywhere that sells anything by any of these bands?

Azmodes wrote:

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:52 pm 

Iggnsthe wrote:
grauer_mausling wrote:

This is beautiful, thank you, grauer_mausling. The comparison with Kvist is well-deserved, though these guys are a lot slower.
Pity they only put out an EP, but needless to say I'll be buying it. Absolutely wonderful.

:) you're welcome. Glad I had the opportunity to push this band. At least their status on MA is still listed as "active".
Maybe some day we will see another release... how knows?

Now to another maybe not sooo wellknown band:

Ironsword - a portugese band combining early Manowar, early Maiden, Omen with parts of the "weirdness" of Manilla Road.
All of their albums are top notch "true" metal sometimes leaning on a more epic side, sometimes coming along a bit more raw.
The vocals could maybe sound a bit odd to some but once you got used to them they perfectly fit.

Here are two songs from their latest release (which is already from 2008)

ZEROMETAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:02 pm 

Physical releases are hard to find due to limited distribution. Best place would be ebay I'm afraid or perhaps the record label itself.

Far East metal? Oh yes. Click.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:41 pm 

Most (though not all...) of my "nobody'' bands are firmly rooted in death metal, and there is some shit hot stuff out there at the moment if you're into doing some digging, and keeping yourself in tune with what's happening. Anyway here is a few that have been kicking my ass over the last year/months etc.

Ritual Torture. Here is an American, fucking devastating death metal band with one 7" EP, which the above track is from, and an awesome demo, who, if you like punishing, well-written DM, fusing some very heavy thrashin' sections, then keep an eye on this lot. Pretty damn good stuff.

Manipulator. With a couple of demos and a killer EP, this French DM two piece are among my favourite bands on the planet at this time. The above YT clip is an early recording of one of their tunes which was re-recorded for the stunning Voidbound EP (with wicked results). Seriously good, crushing, atmospheric DM. Unfortunately if you want to hear more, you'll have to lastfm (or buy!) and that kind of similar thing I guess. Sorry bout that...

Communion. Awesome heavy black/thrash from Chile. I have a inclination to check out bands from their region due to the number of high quality acts in this style (as well as death metal). Their heritage is pure unadulterated blasphemous brutality with punishing song writing. I love this shit, the rougher and rawer the better in most cases too for me.

Slidhr. With a member of Myrkr involved, this is some great jet-black BM. Might not be the most original thing around, but I don't give two shits when the quality is this good. Great stuff, and they have a full-length out now! Can't wait to get my hands on it... this link contains both tracks from their 7" EP.

Doombringer. With Bestial Raids and Cultes des Ghoules members you immediately expect high caliber material, and this, their black/death side project, delivers. Fucking awesome, and another new favourite of mine.

Zom. Never heard much Irish death metal? Give this diseased lot a run. This is some vile, evil death metal, with bleak horrific atmosphere drenched in darkness. Still in demo(nic) embryo stage, this band promises to deliver some nasty works in the future I hope...

My collection

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:29 am 

ZEROMETAL wrote:
Physical releases are hard to find due to limited distribution. Best place would be ebay I'm afraid or perhaps the record label itself.

I do try ebay from time to time that's where I got the one Darkness Over Depth CD I got and I can't speak Chinese so the label is out unfortunatley but I'm gonna try discogs based on a recent suggestion.

Azmodes wrote:

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:34 am 

Njiqahdda. I just recently discovered this highly unique and prolific black metal 2-man band. Their musical style varies from album to album, but generally I'd describe them as ambient and atmospheric black metal. In some albums, the atmosphere is so thick, I can instantly get lost in it. For me, it's almost like getting back into black metal for the first time again.

rbrnflms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:03 pm 

Infernal Slaughter(CHL)- Infected by Evil from Demo I (thrash)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiP8iavS1G4

Cemetery Lust(US)- Sexual Maniac speed/thrash/death/punk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5gfyt-4H2U

Sadorass(GER)- Organa Expression in Extremis / Strength and Wisdom (Black)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S29FLuwfVQk

Moder(GER)- Ewiger Tod from Ewiger Tod Cd (Death)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezgh7YT6d0g

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:49 pm 

Wow man! That's great to see that someone else also like Doombringer, Zom and Slidhr, and I am looking forward to explore the rest when I have more time. Great post CrushedRevelation!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:47 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Communion. Awesome heavy black/thrash from Chile. I have a inclination to check out bands from their region due to the number of high quality acts in this style (as well as death metal). Their heritage is pure unadulterated blasphemous brutality with punishing song writing. I love this shit, the rougher and rawer the better in most cases too for me.

If you like those guys, you MUST listen to Slaughtbbath, Force of Darkness, Ammit and Perdition. Probably stuff like Wrathprayer will like you too.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:22 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
Njiqahdda. I just recently discovered this highly unique and prolific black metal 2-man band. Their musical style varies from album to album, but generally I'd describe them as ambient and atmospheric black metal. In some albums, the atmosphere is so thick, I can instantly get lost in it. For me, it's almost like getting back into black metal for the first time again.

Yes! Njiqahdda is my favorite project of all time. These guys have covered so many different musical styles from release to release and most of the time it turns out to be so unique and hypnotizing in it's originality. They certainly deserve way more recognition, but some people are put off by the large discography. Perhaps some even hear one song, and assume that's how they generally sound and then write them off. I could post five different songs from these guys and some may be shocked that each one is by the same band. Yet if you listen to all their material you can pick out the trademark Nji-sound, whether they're playing ultra technical black metal or rock-laden sludge.

Ogerz001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:04 pm 

Sanctum from LA, CA.
All I know about this Thrash band is that they had a track featured on the "Rock Climbers Hottest of Hollywood" compilation and it is killer.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 am 

Something of a bump here, because this thread is cool. So far my biggest attractions have been Endless Dismal Moan and Folkvang, two excellent BM bands, but I'm sure I'll find more. Plus the only bands I've been aware of thus far are Infester, Abaddon Incarnate and Njiqahdda so I've got lots to go.

But so to add something, here is some of that horrible torture drone/funeral doom I promised earlier: Munn. They're one of the biggest bands on the more droning, horrible side of things that the style is made of, but since they're no Wormphlegm, I still think they count as obscure. This is probably the most "songy" track they put out, and the youtube cut is missing 11 minutes, but I think it downright unsettling, and it actually develops over time pretty well. Lots of drone, individual notes with screeching over them, but I think they've got enough spastic noise touches to appeal beyond simple droning pain like something like Moss, and even some actual riffage to standout from more drone structured misery like Senthil, one of my personal favourites really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cmtl74bfEs

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:41 am 

Eternal Majesty

Yes they have 3 reviews in their almost 20 years of existence, and are an extremely overlooked black metal band. Their music is fast, hateful, unrelenting and they have a very unique sound that can always be picked out of the crowd. In fact they more or less said the reason for lack of any new material has been because of lack of support, but they are now working on a new album last I heard. I fucking love this band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_qj79rI9A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts-cSrqXGu0

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:28 pm 

The (great) mention of Graupel made me think of Germany's Kermania:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E27SqRwFodk

Epic, folk-tinged black metal.

Also a band that I haven't seen much mention around here, the maniacal Hekel (on man metal from Netherlands).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3YLQFU4vo8

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 pm 

There has been some awesome stuff on here so far just saying. I'll add the band Rosenguard http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Rosenguard/18578. They're a local band from around here, it was a total blind purchase but it definitely paid off. Check 'em out I'm actually surprised that there's some youtube videos for them too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-v7rFddwmI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw4XmM-DYLw

Azmodes wrote:

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:06 pm 

I don't know if this is sufficiently obscure seeing as this band has a member of Crimfall (not exactly a big band but stil) but they only have 1 review for 1 of their two albums so I think they'll do; Draugnim. They remind me a bit of moonsorrow but not as epic or complex. Instead of huge sprawling compositions with changing riffs and multiple sections, draugnim is quite happy to craft quality folky keyboard loops putting them in regular length songs. I'm kind of reminded of mid period moonsorrow a bit in that you both have infectious keyboard/folk parts put on top of relatively basic riffwork; galloping mid paced viking metal riffs mixed with brooding black metal style tremolo lines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpp8sPJiCl8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEFkKl7lXH8

Eternal Legacy is another band that needs some more attention. Riffy symphonic power metal that opts for mostly piano work as opposed to overbearing keyboards. They have a darker tone than usual with some prog edges hanging out: they remind me a little of manticora. The vocalist has a crooning high baritone voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SDwA17wv_8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdID7AMnsR8

ShreddedHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:38 am 

Am I the only one here who has heard about this Australian band Sorathian Dawn? They play melodic black/death metal in the vein of Dissection and Sacramentum and in my opinion their s/t debut album was one of the best albums to come out in 2012. For some inexplicable reason they are so unknown that I was honestly suprised to find a Youtube link for one of their songs.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 pm 

ShreddedHuman wrote:
Am I the only one here who has heard about this Australian band Sorathian Dawn? They play melodic black/death metal in the vein of Dissection and Sacramentum and in my opinion their s/t debut album was one of the best albums to come out in 2012. For some inexplicable reason they are so unknown that I was honestly suprised to find a Youtube link for one of their songs.

Whoa, this is great !

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next