Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:51 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler: show

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:49 am 

... :ugh:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:34 am 

Whoever shopped that did a shitty job with the hobbit's cutout. Pen tooling, learn it.

last.fm

cahuich
Chemical Sexican

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:49 am 

wow it's been a while since I visited the forums, my pc crashed a few monts ago and lost all my music and still can't recover all of it :'(

also this has become a recent hobby of mine

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 am 

Is Coroner's Punishment from Decadence worth it?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:28 am 

Napero wrote:
80's fantasy movies have something seriously wrong with them. The Goonies sucked, Dark Crystal is something my kids didn't understand, and Krull is indescribably awful. I still have Labyrinth to show to the kids, but I don't think they'll like it.

What about the first Conan movie with Arnie? Maybe it's not so suitable for young girls. But it's still great!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:36 am 

cahuich wrote:
also this has become a recent hobby of mine

Does the dodecahedron summon Satan when you solve it?

Youtube gold:

There's a whole bunch of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpVOTgu_ ... F1A53CA85E
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:57 am 

cahuich wrote:
wow it's been a while since I visited the forums, my pc crashed a few monts ago and lost all my music and still can't recover all of it :'(

It crashed, caught fire and burned down all your Cd's, tapes and records? dude that sucks! Must be awful to have spent years spending money supporting bands, searching out obscure gems in second hand shops and shit to suffer a house fire like that!. But I guess those are memories parasites who steal all their "collection" off the net will never have, eh. Must suck to be a person like that! So be glad that once your fire insurance comes through you can re-invest and continue to support the people who make all that great music you love so much.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:03 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
cahuich wrote:

It crashed, caught fire and burned down all your Cd's, tapes and records? dude that sucks! Must be awful to have spent years spending money supporting bands, searching out obscure gems in second hand shops and shit to suffer a house fire like that!. But I guess those are memories parasites who steal all their "collection" off the net will never have, eh. Must suck to be a person like that! So be glad that once your fire insurance comes through you can re-invest and continue to support the people who make all that great music you love so much.

Ridin' the moral train to Guiltingville, eh?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:05 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
cahuich wrote:

:lol:

My collection

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 am 

Veracs wrote:
Is Coroner's Punishment from Decadence worth it?

Yes, but get their debut first, If you haven't already. All of their stuff - apart from Grin - is worth getting, though.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:17 am 

Agreed, though I thought Grin has some moments...

My collection

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:29 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
pic

For an internet pro such as yours truly, it's really easy to tell it's a Photoshop, there are pixels in there. 648000 of them, to be precise.

Willow is great, and with the exception of the two-headed monster and a few other very bad effects, the kids even appreciated it; the story is quite OK. They also liked Conan. I will need to buy the original Star Wars trilogy soon, though. We've managed to avoid that for no particular reason so far.

For some odd reason, the oldest daughter seems to consider Russell Crowe's Master and Commander the best movie ever, which is strange. But any unorthodox suggestions on good fantasy and lightweight horror/comedy would be appreciated.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 am 

Have you seen Legend Nappy? The 80's movie with Tim Curry and Tom Cruise? Kinda sorta up there with Willow. Been a loooong time since I have seen it though...

On the same page as that link is another old favourite of mine from many years ago in the form of Ladyhawke...

My collection

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:40 am 

Ladyhawke has not aged too well, either. If you liked it, and haven't seen it in a long while, do yourself a favour and leave it that way. Rütger only needs to be seen in Blade Runner, everything else is redundant.

And oh, sci-fi flicks are something you people could suggest, as well. 2001 got a mixed reception here, but that reception was amusing, considering that at least 3 cumulative hours of solid sleep were enjoyed, and nobody essentially missed anything worthwhile of the story.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:43 am 

Fair enough, and agreed with Blade Runner. Are your children familiar with Studio Ghibli output, and Miyazaki films in general?

My collection

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:49 am 

I showed my GF Blade Runner for the first time last week, partially because I've always insisted she looks a lot like Sean Young/Rachel and she never had any idea what I was talking about. I think it's aged really well. And now I get to make her paranoid about us being robots and not knowing.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:54 am 

haha, I love Blade Runner. The mood in that film is sooo damn oppressive, and the Vangelis score is just :drool: absolute classic.

My collection

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:55 am 

Our family has a collective dislike of most things Japanese, with the notable exception of sushi/sashimi. And even that usually means a brutal pile of chunks of salmon with soy sauce, wasabi and ginger, and looks like someone killed the poor fish with a bricklayer's hammer. So no, no Studio Ghibli for us.

The two Setsuo movies were an experience, though. I think they were about 11 hours, total, or at least it felt like that. I think I'll let some time pass before I show them to the kids, though...

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:58 am 

:lol: duly noted. My son is a massive fan (or was) of Ghibli stuff, but now he's moved onto making actual projectile firing lego pistols...

My collection

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:49 am 

Zombies ate your girlfriend? Seriously?

And what's with the guy wearing female top?! :lol:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:30 am 

Have you tried showing them From Napero? I still love that movie to this day. I would avoid From 2 though kinda lame, but it might be better suited for kids.

Edit - that was supposed to say Tron stupid auto correct on my phone.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 am 

Legend is pretty much the premiere '80s fantasy film. If you haven't seen it yet, Nappos, you definitely should. It does have its slight layers of camp, but in terms of art direction and atmosphere and just plain incredible "movie magic" it stacks up comfortably with Ridley Scott's other two earlier masterpieces, Blade Runner and Alien. Wonderful soundtrack, as well. Altogether three of my absolute favorite films of all time.

Also, you should consider a viewing of the 1977 animated version of The Hobbit if you've not yet gotten around to it :)

It's not fantasy, but while we're in '80s Lucas/Spielberg territory it's probably worth mentioning Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

If the girls were a little older I'd suggest John Carpenter's The Thing and maybe a couple Cronenberg films like The Brood and Scanners.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:03 am 

Legend is pretty damn corny, can't stand it as a grown-up, but it might be okay for kids. I actually kinda liked Ladyhawke, though the production values are abominable (costumes and soundtrack are :lol: fest) and the acting is mediocre. Still, it's a fun movie with a pretty cool little story. Legend is kind of the other way around, good production values but lame story and boring corny characters.

If the kids are old enough to have watched Conan, they can watch the Indiana Jones trilogy and Ghostbuster for sure. No child should grow up without those movies. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:12 am 

I can't say I find Legend THAT corny... it plays to extremes of dark and light, evil and innocence in true fairy tale fashion, and that's really what it explicity sets out to do - to portray the quintessential fairy tale in all of its classic motifs. And there are a couple off moments here and there, understandable for a film that was most likely marketed as a young audience vehicle. But the realization of the whole vision is just fucking fantastic, and the palpable depths of darkness the film explores are pretty unparalleled for that sort of genre piece. It's got its issues, but I'd say it's far more worth watching than skipping. The amount of vividly memorable scenes and images in that film puts many, many others to shame. The character of Blix alone is worth the price of admission :)

Oh...don't ever watch the director's cut. It's garbage. American theatrical version is the only way to go. All you get in the director's cut are shitty additional scenes that were rightfully cut out in the first place and a completely different soundtrack that fits the film terribly.

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:26 am 

Morrigan wrote:
If the kids are old enough to have watched Conan, they can watch the Indiana Jones trilogy and Ghostbuster for sure. No child should grow up without those movies. :nods:

Hells yeah those were staple movies for me when I was a kid. That and Star Wars made up my media life when I was like ten, oh and Back to the Future lets not leave those out either.

Azmodes wrote:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:40 am 

For the record, and to help you people recommend me stuff, after I finally found Thor, we have all the new wave Marvel movies that are available on DVD/BlueRay, all the basic things such as Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones movies, the Back to the Future trilogy and such. Yes, Willow too. I'll check out that Legend. Indeed, of the very basic things, only Star Wars is missing.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 am 

You know, I never saw Indiana Jones until last year. I was too busy being obsessed with horror films as a child. I have to say I missed out.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:36 am 

Other than what's already been mentioned, there doesn't seem to be much more to suggest, unfortunately. Unless you want to go in some absurdist Baron Munchausen or Time Bandits direction. Feel like I'm forgetting one or two candidates, though.

EDIT: Oh...what about some of the early Star Trek films? ST isn't really my thing, but there might be some fun to be had there.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:59 pm 

Time Bandits might work, actually. The firstborn kinda likes, or at least appreciates, Life of Brian and Holy Grail, so there might be something in this. Gotta check it out, too.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 pm 

Sounds good. And though it's not '80s, The City of Lost Children might be a good choice, too.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:42 pm 

Speaking of Monty Python, Jabberwocky is a fun movie. I found its depiction of medieval society quite hilarious. It's on Youtube.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:54 pm 

Yeah, haven't seen that in forever, but I remember it being one of the better Monty Python side projects. Should watch that along with Time Bandits. And Brazil, while Gilliam is on the menu.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:24 pm 

I have to second Time Bandits. Definitely has the Python humor in it. If you've seen all the classics, then I'm sure The Princess Bride is in there. As corny as it is, I still find it enjoyable (and my wife makes fun of me for watching it when it's on). I loved it as a kid.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:28 pm 

Napero wrote:
Time Bandits might work, actually

Best movie ever

http://www.youtube.com/v/F6X9KcrXHwg

What's the short movie, where sky scrapers move like ships?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:09 pm 

I don't know if you've given any though to Planet of the Apes but that might be a good choice too.

Azmodes wrote:

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:22 pm 

I saw the 2001 version of that one, it was pretty good although the ending didnt make any sense at all

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:26 pm 

Yeah that's cause you need to see the original first then it'll all make sense. And the 2001 version was the weakest in my opinion.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37 pm 

So, someone in Borneo actually forced an orangutan into prostitution. An orangutan. Chained to a wall. And used as a sex slave.

I'd be screaming in rage if I wasn't so completely dumbfounded right now.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:53 pm 

:ugh: That poor animal. Actually, no. The orangutan isn't the animal here. The "human beings" responsible for this travesty should be chained to a wall themselves.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 518  Next