Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:08 pm 

Have any of you guys ever wanted to make a thread to talk about a band here, but decided against it in the fears that your thread would fall to the bottom of the page unnoticed without a single reply? The community around these parts seems to be a bit reluctant to break out of its bubble of the same 40-50 bands to discuss, when I know deep down that you guys are all aware of far more than the famous ones. I want to see the denizens of the Metal Archives tackle more bands as topics of discussion (and maybe just a bit fewer of the annoying "meta-topics" like "bands that released one album and then went to shit" or "albums defined by their drumming performances" or "bands with members who prefer their sandwiches to be cut diagonally instead of horizontally"...you get the picture, but that's a story for another day).

So here you go! If you've ever had a band you've wanted to discuss for a while here but never saw a pertinent opportunity to bring them up in discussion, post them here. They don't have to be your favorite pet band of all time, hell, you don't even have to think they're a good band at all - but if you want to discuss their music, post about them here, with a paragraph or so giving your own feelings on them. If their music is available on the web, I'll check out a handful of songs, and maybe an album if I'm particularly interested one way or the other, and tell you what I think of them and hit you up for a few rounds of discussing them if you're so inclined. Brazilian black metal band with only one four-track demo in their discography? No fucking matter - metalcore, NWOBHM or Slavic folk/black, I'll give 'em a shot as long as their music's up on YouTube or somewhere else easily accessible. I just want to talk about some new stuff with people. Everyone else is free to join in on the discussion of the random nobody bands as well, of course!

(I want to point out: this thread isn't meant to be some sort of ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH insurrectionist crap. If you guys want to continue discussing more famous bands, by all means feel free to do so. I'm just trying to present the option to an alternative, should someone seek it. Don't take this all too seriously, just post some obscure bands no one ever talks about around these parts and have some fun with it.)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:12 pm 

Multiple Stab Wounds are an awesome extreme thrash band that split up soon after this demo, merged with another band, then re-emerged as a groove metal band called World Gone Mad in the 90s. This three track demo is great:

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:04 pm 

Enjoying that MSW song. It doesn't sound "extreme thrash" to me so much as it does raw, and it has a certain crossover-y feel to me with the sort of shout/screamed vocals and those little mini-leads that pop up a couple minutes in, but it's definitely aggressive. The change in pacing in the last minute is really effective as well.

A favorite obscurity of mine is Absolute Zero's 1988 Piracy demo and I've never been able to find anyone's opinion on it. The Archives describes them as power/thrash but I think that's way off the mark. I see them as sort of a quirky and technical band on the more hardcore side of thrash, sort of like the primal and filthy aggression of The Accused applied to disjointed tech-thrash. The riffs on their individual merits aren't the most complex, but they have a way of shifting between them rapidly and with the unrestrained vocals and strong bass presence it comes off as pretty crazy. They actually make me think of a very prototypical version of some later mathcore-esque metal acts at times. I've uploaded one song (probably the most immediate/least progressive song of the demo) to YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJfIa4flCs

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:23 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Multiple Stab Wounds are an awesome extreme thrash band that split up soon after this demo, merged with another band, then re-emerged as a groove metal band called World Gone Mad in the 90s. This three track demo is great:

Spoiler: show

Huh, that was pretty good. I'm not really a big fan of thrash that isn't lightning-fast, but that didn't disappoint me at all - mostly because it was heavy as hell, geez. Am I detecting some hardcore influence in there as well? It almost has this weird sort of careless fervor to it, like the band members are all on top of the world and couldn't give a fuck about the world around them. The solos are cool, and the riffs are simple but they carry the whole song without feeling underwhelming. The vocals are the only thing I'm not really a fan of in there (they almost sound a bit snooty), but I could definitely get behind some more like that. Is World Gone Mad worth checking out, with MSW in mind?

HamburgerBoy wrote:
A favorite obscurity of mine is Absolute Zero's 1988 Piracy demo and I've never been able to find anyone's opinion on it. The Archives describes them as power/thrash but I think that's way off the mark. I see them as sort of a quirky and technical band on the more hardcore side of thrash, sort of like the primal and filthy aggression of The Accused applied to disjointed tech-thrash. The riffs on their individual merits aren't the most complex, but they have a way of shifting between them rapidly and with the unrestrained vocals and strong bass presence it comes off as pretty crazy. They actually make me think of a very prototypical version of some later mathcore-esque metal acts at times. I've uploaded one song (probably the most immediate/least progressive song of the demo) to YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJfIa4flCs

Hahaha, what? This was...odd to listen to. :lol: Very interesting stuff, very jerky and almost sounds sped-up or otherwise altered in some way. I can definitely hear the mathcore comparisons, especially in the swooping sets of descending notes - this sounds like it could be a precursor to early TDEP or Daughters to these ears. It feels a bit too raw to be executed ideally, but as a concept it's certainly worth listening to. Thanks, already I see this thread is delivering the goods. :)

And I thought I'd bring my own pet band to the table here: Mareritt. They're a one-man, (arguably) DSBM project from Norway. They only released one EP before changing their name to Helvetespine (who are supposed to sound more-or-less the same, but I haven't heard much by them; I think they've split up by now too), but it's really great. Never really gets very fast or changes tempos, but the guitar tone is really cool - sets up this huge (but not necessarily dense) wall of sound which plays these anthemic, bombastic, and practically beautiful chords down on the lower strings. If I had to use a single word to describe their music, it'd be layered - it's all very simple, but it comes across as so cavernous that it's almost as if it echoes up into the ceiling of an ancient shrine. Definitely a band worth more than the sum of its parts to me; what do you guys think?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:32 pm 

Good idea. I'm inept here, but this will contribute to my insatiable link-devourment.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:44 pm 

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7GRbJMuJT-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trollheim's Grott! Probably for the Aborym/Dodheimsgard/newer Abigor/etc crowd. They're basically an industrial black metal band but some of the keyboards have a sort of horror movie feel to me, subtle touches of a slightly updated Goblin. They're probably only known for the majority of the members being involved in Deathchain and their vocalist fronting Horna. Absolutely fantastic, outside of the box stuff.

PureFrackingArmageddon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:53 pm 

I've only met one other person (on the internet) who knew of this amazing japanese black metal band Endless Dismal Moan and they really loved them just as much as I do. A great great band that sounds like nothing else I've ever heard, especially the screams they're so insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3B-vmO_9pg

FengisRipRider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm 

Gotta Mention Pre Teen Death Fuck, the exact 50/50 of black metal and thrash metal, great stuff, tape i got fom trirod records was awesome.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:02 pm 

I have found that many of the "best" bands are the unknowns, the underground of the underground. I enjoy different types of metal, but Black is my main focus, so I will share a few unknown bands that are actually still very active or new. I have mentioned these before in another thread or 2, but I don't think they really got much notice.

Folkvang: 1 man band. The last album was just so fucking awesome there's no words to describe it. The album before it "Atmospheric Black" is also a masterpiece of beautiful atmospheric darkness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3NyZeQ-DpY

Sarkrista: raw/traditional, brand new album, really looking forward to more from these guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgLvEYD8jM

Warwulf: 1 man band from the USA apparently, raw, primitive, great riffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3R8fJeM5Dw

Sapthuran: another 1 man band from the USA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U-tRVgnz7k

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:03 pm 

Barshasketh play very majestic, agile black-metal, with something of a Finnish sound in the vein of acts like Sargeist. They're the sort of band who really manage to squeeze a huge amount of atmosphere out of raw production values and un-crowded instrumentation, and likewise manage to be dynamic, exploring more than just blasting, tremolos and the like. I really enjoy the clunky, but beautiful and utterly freezing sound which I'd usually associate with old-school Norwegian black-metal.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:05 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:

A favorite obscurity of mine is Absolute Zero's 1988 Piracy demo and I've never been able to find anyone's opinion on it.

Absolute Zero is interesting for sure. I can see the the punk influence in some of the shorter riffs and in the length of the song itself, but I can also kind of here an 80s power metal vibe in the vocals. At parts they sound like a spazzed out Watchtower. Definitely unique; it's hard to fit them into a single genre or pinpoint influences.

I'd like to shift the spotlight to Infester, a death metal band from the northwest US. This band is a bit more well-known than the demo bands posted so far--their album is a cult classic in some circles--but still unheard of by most metal heads. They play some of the dirtiest, downright vile death metal I've ever heard. They are masters of atmosphere, but aren't content to stick with a single mood like most bands. Their songs are constructed around contrasting segments that range from blasting grind riffs to long spooky melodies backed by keyboard to trudging breakdowns (NOT -core breakdowns -- this is 1994!). They are truly masters of songwriting -- while their songs contain lots of riffs, it never feels like they just threw them in for the sake of it; every riff serves a purpose in the greater context of the song. It's definitely in my top 10 death metal albums and it'd be great if they could start being mentioned more when bringing up classic old school DM albums.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:38 pm 

I don't know how famous these guys are, but a few years ago I heard this band called Abaddon Incarnate and holy shit, did they punch me in face. People that want another None So Vile should check out their debut (The Last Supper) right NOW.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:48 pm 

Awesome idea for a thread, I'll gladly contribute...

There was a german band called Depraved (not to be confused with the much worse french one of the same name), who released one record in 2000 that was so fucking great. That thing's called "Distorted Theories" and it ranges up there with the best melodic death metal (or death metal with melodies, however you like) I've ever heard. Sadly, they gained no notority then and seem to be completely forgotten now. There were some demo recordings on their myspace page some years later, but those never amounted to much and a second album was never released. Such a pity. So this is a good way to show them some belated love...

Anybody ever heard of them? If not, check this out:

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:02 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Barshasketh play very majestic, agile black-metal, with something of a Finnish sound in the vein of acts like Sargeist. They're the sort of band who really manage to squeeze a huge amount of atmosphere out of raw production values and un-crowded instrumentation, and likewise manage to be dynamic, exploring more than just blasting, tremolos and the like. I really enjoy the clunky, but beautiful and utterly freezing sound which I'd usually associate with old-school Norwegian black-metal.

So I really liked Barshasketh. I can see the comparison to Sargeist. Also reminded me a bit of Dodsferd as well. From a few other songs I checked out, they have incredibly cold and icy riffs. Very well-written music, which is what I like best.

I'm going to throw Lo-Ruhamah in the discussion. They released one EP and a full length back in 2007. It was really awesome blackened death metal but with a very progressive edge. They take a lot of influence from post-rock as well. The full length took a lot of twists and turns and showcased some excellent musicianship and a really tight sound from a three-piece. There are so many moments on the album where each instrument shines. I'm not really sure what the band is up to now, as there hasn't been an update from these guys in a very long time. The archives says they're active but who knows.

Also I'm I want to discuss two bands from China. Though they're not entirely obscure in the east, I really don't know many westerners who know of Ego Fall and Tengger Cavalry. Ego Fall combines excellent metalcore with Mongolian folk music and throat singing in such a wonderful way. The molding of these elements is so surprisingly awesome and is truly unique compared to a lot of what's been rehashed in metal over the decades. Tengger Cavalry is more black metal oriented, and combine some real epic tunes with eastern intrumentation and throat singing as well. A refreshing twist on black/folk metal. Metal doesn't have too long a history in China, and so these bands seem to exude a fresh energy I just don't hear from a lot of other projects.
Ego Fall

Tengger Cavalry

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:09 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7GRbJMuJT-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trollheim's Grott! Probably for the Aborym/Dodheimsgard/newer Abigor/etc crowd. They're basically an industrial black metal band but some of the keyboards have a sort of horror movie feel to me, subtle touches of a slightly updated Goblin. They're probably only known for the majority of the members being involved in Deathchain and their vocalist fronting Horna. Absolutely fantastic, outside of the box stuff.

Hey, this is cool too. Doesn't sound all that outright industrial to me, though...maybe with a bit colder/more mechanical edge than most black metal, but it's not overt or anything. The riffing's pretty good, and when the band pick up to blast beat tempos it sounds really chaotic in an awesome way (that one tempo change in particular around the three-minute mark was brilliant). And I see what you're saying about the keyboards, they do add a strange vibe to the music. This song doesn't sound that outright "unique" (this song reminds me sort of like a mechanically-tinged Ludicra), but the band are definitely onto something special and of-their-own here. I'll look more into these guys later.

Sick6Six wrote:
Folkvang: 1 man band. The last album was just so fucking awesome there's no words to describe it. The album before it "Atmospheric Black" is also a masterpiece of beautiful atmospheric darkness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3NyZeQ-DpY

Sarkrista: raw/traditional, brand new album, really looking forward to more from these guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgLvEYD8jM

Warwulf: 1 man band from the USA apparently, raw, primitive, great riffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3R8fJeM5Dw

Sapthuran: another 1 man band from the USA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U-tRVgnz7k

Holy SHIT that Folkvang was good. Guitars were a bit thin, but those riffs are just heavenly and the music as a whole is pretty, energetic and forceful. I don't really have all that much to say about it because it's not that special in regards to originality, but it all comes together in a way you usually don't hear in one-man projects. Added to my list of stuff to check out later.

That Sarkrista track was interesting...I like how vigorous the riffs and drumming feel. I feel like the vocals might need to grow on me a bit...I like their purpose in the music (almost like a prideful boast of superiority) but the actual execution feels a bit weird to me. I feel like this is something I'd appreciate more after I let it sit for a while and then come back to it.

Warwulf are alright but not really my thing. The intro riff sounds almost exactly like a riff from Arckanum's "Þann Svartís", or some other song from ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ (an album which I wasn't really a huge fan of). I don't mind rawness in and of itself, but I didn't think it suited that song very well. Same goes for the pained, screeched rasps echoing through the whole thing. I imagine this would be pretty good for people who like this sort of black metal, but it's never been my cup of tea.

Sapthuran weren't really my thing either. They also reminded me a bit of Arckanum (though that may be due more to my inexperience with many big names in black metal than there being an actual comparison to be made), but the guitar tone felt a bit too watered-down, like it needed a bit more treble added into the mix. That drumming, programmed or otherwise (not sure), was really annoying. It sounded very static, like just an endless wave of repetitive tapping. So overall I liked 2/4, not bad. :)

I'll check out some more of these in a little while.

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:28 pm 

Being the OSDM fiend that I am, I have to mention Monastery. They're nothing special, but they're still solid death metal all around. First Hungarian death metal band too, but I suppose that wasn't too big of a deal :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoMyywRPSHQ

I'll give a nod to Crawlspace too. Thick doomy riffs all around songs that only speed up occasionally. The snare has way too much reverb on it, but the riffs are great and im a sucker for nice audible DM bass so it gets a pass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZt5YkUeG54

Last edited by Psytopsy on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:34 pm 

Fermenting Innards - Myst.

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious they were Carcass inspired death metal and then jumped on the black metal bandwagon even to the degree of having some of their lyrics written/translated in Norwegian (they're German), but the album kicks sizeable amounts of ass. Quite a unique slab of black/death with some gothic doom touches.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:35 pm 

sweet thread idea :)

My contribution now is something way more mellow than all the thrash, black and death metal stuff posted before.
Don't know how many fans of Mr Swanö's phenomenal Nightingale band are around here. Anyway, I am one of those
fans and it seems quite hard to find more music in exact that way. However at least one is there:

Another Life. Dan even played the keyboards there and Another Life indeed sound nearly like a Nightingale clone.
I personally have no problems with clones when done good, esp. when it's a style of music one doesn't finds so often.
Another Life play the same style of Melodic Metal / Hard Rock mix with slight prog touches (very slight) and with a
big dose of sweet synth layers.
The vocals aren't as great as Dan's but all in all a very nice Nightingale clone.

Long story short - have a listen here. Possibly not for everybody here but I don't care ;)

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:41 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

Honestly, I enjoy this song much more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJvMTzVMbZ0

But the idiology behind this seems to be kinda iffy, at least... just saying. Big turn off for me...

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:45 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
Also I'm I want to discuss two bands from China. Though they're not entirely obscure in the east, I really don't know many westerners who know of Ego Fall and Tengger Cavalry. Ego Fall combines excellent metalcore with Mongolian folk music and throat singing in such a wonderful way. The molding of these elements is so surprisingly awesome and is truly unique compared to a lot of what's been rehashed in metal over the decades. Tengger Cavalry is more black metal oriented, and combine some real epic tunes with eastern intrumentation and throat singing as well. A refreshing twist on black/folk metal. Metal doesn't have too long a history in China, and so these bands seem to exude a fresh energy I just don't hear from a lot of other projects.
Ego Fall

Tengger Cavalry

Man, those two are good, though that throat singing needs a little bit to get adjusted to...

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:58 pm 

Hey, not every obscure band plays some form of extreme metal.

I like this idea and I will vary things a bit and post a heavy metal band. I have posted this before in the mini-review game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGOl9H07Gzs
I swear, this fucking youtube tag friggin hates me :fuck:

This band, Cobra, plays 80's style heavy metal. I know we don't really need more bands of this kind, but not only do these guys play in that style, but the production on the album also sounds like it came from that decade itself (probably by virtue of being south american and not having anything resembling a decent recording studio for today's standards). This was released in 2011 by the way. I think it is quite catchy and energetic, and does a good job in paying tribute to that crazy era...even though we were filled with poverty and terrorists back then, but it does have attitude to spare.

Last edited by Menternor on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:59 pm 

Hope you guys don't mind if I post a couple, I have an obsession with new and obscure Greek death metal. These aren't too obscure if you're a Greek metalhead, but chances are you're not. I'll embed the youtube links in spoilers so as not to take up too much space.

The first one I've posted about before on this board, so they may ring a bell.
Crucifiction! A terrific death metal band from Greece. They've released only one full length and it's one of my favorites from the country. Great vocals, great production, totally riff-tastic! I like it so much I even reviewed despite being hopelessly incompetent at reviewing.

Next is Necrovorous, also playing in an OSDM style. With one full-length released, they're nothing extraordinary, but they're still on my list of favorites. I don't know what it is, the simplicity in their music, the sloppyness of the solos and the dark atmosphere just hit the spot for me.

Lastly, Nocturnal Vomit. It's always nice to see a band that you've followed since their very first demo tape came out develop and progress. They play in OSDM style, have released one full length and have a vocalist that sounds like Asphyx.

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:41 pm 

I'll have to mention As I Lay Dying. No, I don't mean the American band. I mean the Austrian one, who were previously known as Visceral Evisceration. They released a promo in 1995 that was pretty good, and then they vanished.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:49 pm 

Love the idea for the thread, I've got lots of stuff to check out, well done MT, I will gladly be your hugbox.

I don't really have much to add, mainly because I don't consider my tastes all that obscure, so I assume if I know it, it's not obscure, but also because most of the less known stuff I dig I already spruik relentlessly. I will add some stuff, probably all horrible torture doom nobody would like, but for starters, here's something everyone should dig. Corpus Vile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Dfqm0Vf48

These guys put out this excellent doom/crust demo in 96 and then promptly did nothing. Great atmopshere, great riffs, ok enough sound, and pretty sonically pleasing so everyone should worship them.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:55 pm 

Necronipple wrote:
I'll have to mention As I Lay Dying. No, I don't mean the American band. I mean the Austrian one, who were previously known as Visceral Evisceration. They released a promo in 1995 that was pretty good, and then they vanished.

That cover is ass...

SCNR :D

But a nice song...

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:44 pm 

This is actually a great idea for a thread! The band that I'm going to throw into the discussion isn't a band that fell off the face of the earth like a lot of the bands mentioned here, but I don't see anyone outside of my local scene discussing these guys. Cognitive is a technical death metal band from my area that doesn't really sound anything like most tech death bands I've heard. The focus here is more on pummeling grooves and brutality, with the occasional slower leads to mix things up. They're definitely not the type of band that focuses on playing as fast as they can, or trying to shove as many notes into a section as possible. This band doesn't really get "wanky" at all, especially with track lengths that don't even hit 4 minutes. And they're pretty good live as well.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm 

Taberah are definitely one of the best bands going around at the moment, and their new record will be great when it is released. Here is a track from it - pretty rockin' power metal:

https://soundcloud.com/taberah/the-hammer-of-hades

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:03 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

Huh, that was pretty good. I'm not really a big fan of thrash that isn't lightning-fast, but that didn't disappoint me at all - mostly because it was heavy as hell, geez. Am I detecting some hardcore influence in there as well? It almost has this weird sort of careless fervor to it, like the band members are all on top of the world and couldn't give a fuck about the world around them. The solos are cool, and the riffs are simple but they carry the whole song without feeling underwhelming. The vocals are the only thing I'm not really a fan of in there (they almost sound a bit snooty), but I could definitely get behind some more like that. Is World Gone Mad worth checking out, with MSW in mind?

Not really. Not at all. Purely out of academic interest? :(

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:08 pm 

Alright folks, let's have some biscuits. I'll try to start with bands that have no reviews on MA, and then maybe come back if I need to supplement the list with anything that I feel is too good to leave out.

First of all, here's an excellent black/doom band from Brazil: Defacer. They haven't been very productive in their two decades of existence, not bothering to do things like demos, EPs, splits, etc. Just two full-length albums. The first, Nocturnal Mysteries, is simply wonderful, one of the highlights of late-nineties black metal, as far as I'm concerned. Huge compositions (not too terribly long, mostly in the 8-12 minute range) that never feel overly-inflated with uselessness. They put a new album out in 2009, and it doesn't sound like much changed between one and the next (which is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned), but I'd need to give it more of a listen to really be able to tell. There isn't much of their work on YouTube, but it's not completely lost to obscurity, as their new album is up in full.

Next of all, moving north a bit, we've got Forest of Doom, from Mexico, a country whose black metal output hardly gets any mention, but who nonetheless have a smattering of very strong bands (a few more of which will probably show up in this very post). Now, Forest of Doom are a pretty recent discovery for me, but I must say, having checked out their debut, I'm impressed. The melodies are fairly simple, but the riffs themselves are incredibly strong. They wander back and forth into that "depressive" territory that that Mexican bands can be so good at, but one would be remiss to call them lethargic. Forgotten Woods' early material has a few similarities, but these songs are much shorter (and there are few of them; Forest of Doom don't seem to put that much material on one album, funny enough). Still, they pack quite a punch!

Perhaps not super-unknown, but deserving of some praise nonetheless, who do we have here? Hämys, of course! While these Finns have yet to put out a full-length, they've got a pretty strong catalog of EPs and "compilations" (some of which just seem to be more EPs). Their latest, Tie Näyttää Paikkani​, which was put out by the lovely, lovely folks at Razed Soul Productions, is one of my favorite pieces of music from last year. With seven songs for a combined total of twenty minutes, it's a bit short, but it's a beautiful, nature-influenced (but not folksy) piece of work. Check it out, pretty please.

Misvita, the next group on our adventure, are definitely less easy to get into than the bands above. They're listed as "industrial black/death metal", but I think that must reflect their 2006 EP, because their debut full-length, Misanthropic Aura, is nothing but black. Very tinny and perhaps a bit hard on the ears for some, but my goodness do these folks get riffy at times. When they do, it's usually well-worth the wait. They certainly know how to construct a melody, too, and pass up no opportunity to do so. Very aggressive, percussive and unrelenting. If that sounds appealing, definitely give them a shot.

Less aggressive and more anthemic are the next offering, Ravensdöm. There's some very nice lead work in these guys' stuff, and on the whole, it's got a very satisfying, obscure sound, as well as some very pretty cover-art, which is always a bonus. Their stuff was recently reissued on tape, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Really charming, not much more to say.

As far as regional generalizations go, I think that this one is okay to make: German black metal can be very good at being melancholic. There are a whole host of bands that represent this, but the one that I'm talking about in this paragraph is called Shores of Ladon. Mid-paced, cathartic, and extremely pretty, in an aching sort of way. Unfortunately, all that I own from them as of now is their EP, Lupercal, but that alone is reason enough to include them. Another short-but-bittersweet release, it's no less effective in conveying its beauty through floating, fuzzy, misty riffs and subtle leads. Despite its limitation, I think that this release is still quite available.

Though the UK isn't much known for its black metal, they've got a strong, underground raw black metal/noise scene, spearheaded by the folks at Legion Blotan. Among their output (probably best known for the works of White Medal), I'd like to draw some attention to one of their seldom-mentioned groups, Wóddréa Mylenstede. With their current trilogy of demos, they've been quite the interesting band to follow. Their first demo was exquisitely raw, and through its murky trawling gave off a terrifically sinister atmosphere, but not without a very nice staccato, percussive breakdown section toward the latter half of the demo, from which it builds up a blistering riff. The second demo is no less impressive, though it's quite distinct in the guitar being much more prominent, and the sound being a bit clearer overall. It's still very fuzzy and rough, as it should remain, however. One of my personal favorite bands. I'll give an example from each of the first two demos to give a better idea for the progression.

I think that's a good start for now. Happy hunting, everyone.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:28 pm 

Cool to see Misvita mentioned. There's a pretty decent cover of Under a Funeral Moon on that album. They didn't blow me away, but it's a fine band considering I got their CD for free.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:55 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

This is really good, I will check out more by this band. Need to go through all the other bands in this thread still.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
I don't know how famous these guys are, but a few years ago I heard this band called Abaddon Incarnate and holy shit, did they punch me in face. People that want another None So Vile should check out their debut (The Last Supper) right NOW.

I love Abaddon Incarnate, but I never really got any NSV from them, they're much more grindcore. Although bringing up the subject of obscure NSV worship, I give you Defacing. They're a good step further into the brutal death than the technical, but the riffs are as close as any bands I've ever heard, and the vocals, are very in line with Worms barks, although he lacks the higher end shrieks. The album isn't perfect, since they lack some of the variation and nuance of the source material, but it's certainly cool to hear someone doing music in this style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zdi4Ux6X0

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:04 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Cool to see Misvita mentioned. There's a pretty decent cover of Under a Funeral Moon on that album. They didn't blow me away, but it's a fine band considering I got their CD for free.

Yeah, nothing like an undiscovered classic or anything, but I like to throw it on from time to time. I also got the CD for a pretty low price (not free, but close enough), and I'm definitely satisfied with it.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:10 pm 

How about Ouija? A Spanish BM band that released one album back in 97. It's basically Dissection worship, but I dig it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KNUGEQyg0

Then there is Fen Hollen. A raw BM band from Australia that only released one demo back in 2006. I guess a way to describe it is a more melodic Transylvanian Hunger maybe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vu-2BC_NBY

Also, Eudaimonia from Denmark. A one man instrumental band that mixes black metal, post-rock and ambient. All his releases are free online, though a Russian label recently put out hard copies of the two most recent albums. I think the newest album, a Hymn To The Dying World is by far is best, so I would recommend you start there: http://eudaimoniamusic.bandcamp.com/

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:20 pm 

Shores of Ladon are pretty fucking good.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:27 pm 

Eden, from the USA. This is a full-length, but the first song at least is amazing.
I figure they're unknown enough to be in this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fnBfYYyqoM

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:46 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Nochielo wrote:

I love Abaddon Incarnate, but I never really got any NSV from them, they're much more grindcore. Although bringing up the subject of obscure NSV worship, I give you Defacing. They're a good step further into the brutal death than the technical, but the riffs are as close as any bands I've ever heard, and the vocals, are very in line with Worms barks, although he lacks the higher end shrieks. The album isn't perfect, since they lack some of the variation and nuance of the source material, but it's certainly cool to hear someone doing music in this style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zdi4Ux6X0

Tons of grind in there, but I think there are still great similarities. That's up for debate though, I don't disagree with your take. And about Defacing, well, you win, man. Vicious music and much closer to NSV than Abaddon. This is why I love this forum, tons of great recs all over the place. Thank you very much, lord_ghengis.

I went through my music to see if there was anything particularly obscure in there and found very little that could be unknown to a majority but let's try Faeces, brutal/tech death band with a conspicuous jazz influence (at least in the latest album Upstream). Songs like Perfectly Indifferent and the sexy Probe in Ass (heh) are sure to appeal to death/jazz fans.

Pretty much everything else I own I've seen mentioned in this site at least once, so I guess my metal isn't really too unknown.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 pm 

I checked out a couple bands here- thanks for the "Tips" guys, keep em coming! Multiple Stab Wounds reminded me a bit of some of the more metallish NYHC bands from the late 80s/early 90s, but a bit heavier. I miss this style, and dug these guys quite a bit- it was just raw enough to catch my attention. Good, heavy thrash!

Warwulf-I listened to the "raw, primitive, great riffs" track- I dunno man, I loved the guitar tone these guys had but to me, it just reeked of too much "Transylvanian Hunger" worship. Now, there is nothing inherantly wrong with that, but it's been done so many times by countless bands, and it's a hard style to get right without sounding repetitive and tiresome. That's the problem with this band. It's decent quality tremolo picked, reptitive drumming, melodic black metal but that's all that can be said for it. It isnt THAT raw or primitive either. When I hear that description, I think of stuff like this, which incidently is perfect for this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyzLv7FVzlw
No melodic, generic Nordic Forest Pagan Winter type riffs here! THIS is raw, primitive blackness.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:03 am 

Amidst all this thrash, black and death metal some softer stuff... and admittedly weirder, too...

Complex Range

They're categorized as "Power Metal" on the archives, though I'd rather describe them as some kind of speed metal with slight progressive leanings (semantics again, I know). Anyway, they released one full length independently over ten years ago, and I remember that stuff catching my ear then, not neccessarily because it was so great that I fell in love with it on the spot, but rather because it was somewhat unique and sorta "out there"... unusual enough that it merits a listen, I'd say. Be warned, though, the employed vocal style will put some of you way off...

There seem to be no songs of them on youtube, but their homepage is still up (not updated since 2007, though) and there's an autorun-player with three songs. Also mp3s.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 am 

Loved Corpus Vile as well. Great band, great song- wish I had heard of them back then! Remind me somewhat of Paradise Lost, but a bit heavier.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next