Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:14 pm 

So I've been listening to Dazzling Killmen, Colossamite, and Blind Idiot God a lot recently, and really enjoying it. So I'm looking for more like it. I tried doing some youtubing and checking out some of the bands mentioned on Wiki for math rock, not really having much luck. I tried Shellac, and Don Callabero, wasn't really digging what I heard. Craw and Keelhaul were both alright, but not really dark or dissonant enough. I'm more or less looking for stuff that sounds pretty much like DK and Colossamite.

What I am not looking for - Jesus Lizard and probably noise rock in general (unless it really fits the bill); indie rock or post rock (no Red Sparowes); and screamo/post hardcore type stuff (no Circle Takes the Square). A little proggy is okay (and probably unavoidable), but I'm not looking for prog rock either. Preferably no clean singing, but I can probably look past it if it's instrumentally what I'm looking for.

I want to reiterate that I'm not looking for just weird or intricate rock, I'm looking for stuff that obviously influenced (or in some cases, was a contemporary to) things like Deadguy, Kiss it Goodbye, later Gorguts, Baring Teeth, Gaza and Rorschach especially. Something that is a slightly less extreme, immediate precursor to mathcore and chaotic hardcore. Modern stuff is okay, and again if you know something that doesn't exactly fit the guidelines but is fairly similar feel free to recommend.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:38 am 

You could try the various Zeni Geva records.

Also, an absolutely killer band called God which also features a sax. Master mind Kevin went on collabarat with people like Justin B. and eventually make dark dub/ragga records.

at the risk of sounding ridiculously cliched, you could also try the early DEP and Converge albums as well as Botch and Refused.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 am 

I'm not entirely sure if it will fit your bill, but listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Yanqui is a personal favourite. Epic stuff.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 pm 

GYBE isn't really anything close to what I'm looking for, but thanks anyway.

Pretty much all the stuff on the metal & hardcore side I already know, including Botch, Converge, DEP, etc. Zeni Geva seems the closest to what I'm looking for, I think. Any advice on where to start? They seem to a number of albums.

Anymore suggestions are appreciated.

casusluciferi666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:14 am 

Ah, I would've had more to suggest if you weren't looking for mathcore...
This thread wouldn't be complete without mentioning Breadwinner.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 am 

GravityLapse wrote:
GYBE isn't really anything close to what I'm looking for, but thanks anyway.

Pretty much all the stuff on the metal & hardcore side I already know, including Botch, Converge, DEP, etc. Zeni Geva seems the closest to what I'm looking for, I think. Any advice on where to start? They seem to a number of albums.

Anymore suggestions are appreciated.

For zeni geva i would suggest Total Castration, Desire for Agony as well as Freedom Bondage.

the production is slightly better from the earlier records and there is greater cohesion to the sound.

If by any chnace you missed Deadguy, give it a spin . Fixation on a Co-Worker is great record.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:38 am 

suleiman, he meantioned Deadguy in his damn post that you didn't finish reading...

Since you did meantion deadguy and Kiss it goodbye... you might as well go further and get into Playing Enemy.. their other band.

Along those lines that you might enjoy, Anodyne, A Giant's Wing, Coalesce's mid period of 0:12 revolution and just listening & functioning on impatience, the August Prophecy (pre-found dead hanging band), the Handshake Murder's first album... only that album Bury the Effigy... good lucking finding that cause they are doing their all to erase it since they don't like it much. Asphyxiate Bot, maybe even the Great Redneck Hope.

Also as math rock these might be dark enough for you, last of the juanitas, Sweep the leg Johnny, and The Mass.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:48 pm 

Anodyne is one of those bands I've heard mentioned for years, but never got around to checking them out - they seem like a cross between early 00s technical metalcore and a burlier version of math rock.

Last of the Juanitas definitely sounds interesting, not sure if I like it yet. But when I was youtubing some songs of theirs, I found another band that seems on the right track: Silent Front. Maybe a bit more Converge-y than I would like, but still pretty cool at times.

Sweep the Leg Johnny I checked a couple tracks from Going Down Swinging and Sto Cazzo, wasn't really into it, what I heard at least is the modern kind of post rock leaning saccharinely sweet math rock that has never grabbed me at all. Will check out the rest of your recs later, please everyone keep the suggestions coming.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:59 am 

Bump. Anyone have any other suggestions?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:42 pm 

Celeste? They aren't really like Converge or anything, but they're the first band that came to mind when I saw Gaza in your list.

I saw them live too- Gaza that is, and I had to go out to the driveway because it was so loud. Literally the only show where my ears actually hurt.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:35 am 

Nah, I know and enjoy Celeste, not really what I'm looking for at all.

Reply to topic