* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:03 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
It was a joke. If it were selling itself as a romantic comedy, that's fine, it did good at that, but the horror elements were really weakly crammed in at the end and, as an added insult, made almost no sense. It was like somebody was writing an indie romance flick and then had a schizophrenic attack and then wrote a horror movie ending. Totally weak...and the V/H/S segment was easily his best work yet I think.

Dude, the basement scene. How they never actually show the ghost behind Luke, preferring instead to show his and Claire's faces, he in absolute terror and she in complete disbelief that she's seeing Madeline O'Malley. That scene is terrifying.

Also, what in the ending didn't make sense to you?
Spoiler: show
If it was Claire dying, they show that she dropped her inhaler when she fell down the stairs and she had an asthma attack when Madeline's ghost came near her. As for the old man, I just assumed he was a ghost too since he disappeared behind Claire when she was getting sheets without him actually moving, plus it fit the "three spirits" thing Leanne mentioned earlier, the first two being Madeline and the old man, and the third being Claire since she dies in the hotel too.

The whole horror plot element was confusing.

So it's supposed to be a metaphor for her asthma attack...but then there's also some old man ghost guy who scares her and appears in visions well before the ending. He's really there, since we see those scenes of him checking into the hotel, but then the actual last scene doesn't acknowledge him at all, more implying that she just had an attack and hallucinated the whole thing.

It was just a clusterfuck of an ending that relied on too much guesswork and assumption to be effective. If it wanted to try its hand at an ambiguous ending, it was a very poor attempt at that.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:26 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Well, I can't agree with that since I've enjoyed both the first movie of the Spider-Man trilogy and the first one of the rebooted Amazing Spiderman series. Actually I liked the later more as the new series is focusing more on the original comic strip. As long as a particular filmmaker can gather prolific ideas for a remake I'll encourage it.

Didn't watch the new Spider Man movie, but Red Letter Media says your enjoyment is misguided and wrong.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm 

So The ABC's of Death was mostly bad. I think the problem is there are too many shorts, some directors thought it best for a quick punch-line entry (Andrew Traucki) while others had half thought out ideas (Ben Wheatley). Ti West's was one of the worst and generally shameful in effort. It also overall felt too random in subject matter, genre and structure. Srdjan Spasojevic, Jon Schnepp and Xavier Gens' segments were all good, and Kaare Andrews' sci-fi segment had potential, but the lesser segments really bring down this movie where I found myself hard pressed to not skip a few minutes here and there. I think it best for anybody curious to track down the directors they like or are familiar with and watch those entries separately.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 pm 

The ABCs of Death I found interesting just because of how fucking weird many of the segments were. D is for Dogfight and S is for Speed were my favorites, and Q is for Quack I thought was the funniest.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:46 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Slumber Party Massacre: so yes, this exists. It's like somebody wrote a parody of slasher flicks, but halfway through, had a stroke or something and forgot that it was kidding so it decided to play it straight. Really bizarre shit happens in this movie, every character is mentally retarded, the killer is the most uninteresting and straightforward dude ever, the kills frequenly cut away, then it just sort of ends. And I loved it.

I like Slumber party Massacre for some strange reason. There are actually three of them. I found them at my house 10 years ago double-taped on VHS. I eventually bought them all on DVD. You can find all three on youtube in full... If you have time to waste, watch them for a laugh. The 1st one is the best and the 2nd one is the cheesiest of them all. The “killer” goes around rocking out on his guitar/drill/killing machine. Watch the trailer for the 2nd one if anything.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 pm 

Oh I plan to watch them at some point. Like I said, I liked the first one and I'm a big fan of slasher flicks.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Oh I plan to watch them at some point. Like I said, I liked the first one and I'm a big fan of slasher flicks.

Have you seen Demons or Demons 2? I rewatched both films a few weeks ago and was happy with them. I hadn’t seen either since I was a kid so I caught more the second time around. Both are written by Dario Argento just in case you are, or if there are any movie buffs out there. The first consists of people trapped in a movie theater that is overrun by demons (kind of like zombies)…. And the second is a group of people trapped in a high rise apartment building. They're on youtube too.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:26 pm 

Haven't seen those since I was a kid, but they're on my watch list. Which is like 20 movies long :lol:

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:09 am 

inhumanist wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
Well, I can't agree with that since I've enjoyed both the first movie of the Spider-Man trilogy and the first one of the rebooted Amazing Spiderman series. Actually I liked the later more as the new series is focusing more on the original comic strip. As long as a particular filmmaker can gather prolific ideas for a remake I'll encourage it.

Didn't watch the new Spider Man movie, but Red Letter Media says your enjoyment is misguided and wrong.

Hah! Now random silly webzines will tell everyone what to enjoy and what not to? I enjoyed the film as it gave much needed importance to the original comic strip, the inclusion of web shooters, Gwen Stacy as Peter's first girlfriend, Curt Connors as Lizard, it's all how we know Stan Lee's original series began. Not with Mary Jane living next door and Green Goblin.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:48 am 

Well, they do make pretty good points about it failing as an enjoyable movie, one of them being a long-time Spiderman fan, and whoever told you enjoyment is a private, subjective matter? That's just silly! :-P
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 am 

The new Spider Man is ridiculously entertaining and I had an absolute blast watching it. There's just something about the characters, particularly Peter and Gwen, that is incredibly likable.

Also, it'll be interesting to see how the sequel uses Mary Jane. At least they got an actress who still looks like a teenager to play her.

Last edited by Subrick on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:42 am 

1) Yes, the latest Spider-Man movie is great.

2) I can't wait to see how they'll depict the Green Goblin, yet I'm also very afraid of how they'll handle the whole Gwen Stacy..... Issue. Anyone who is familiar with the comics surely knows what I'm talking about. I just don't want to spoil it for everyone else.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:55 am 

This is who's playing Mary Jane in the next movie. Her name is Shailene Woodly. She's 21, but she very, VERY easily passes as only 16 or 17.

Last edited by Subrick on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:02 am 

I have a rather difficult time picturing that girl as a redhead.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:04 am 

Here ya go.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 am 

She kind of looks like Bonnie Wright from the Harry Potter movies in that one.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:08 am 

Mmmmmm..... I don't know. If she manages to pull off the necessary attitude and the whole "hey, tiger" thing, then it should work. It's not like such a thing should be too challenging.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:08 am 

Not as cute as Kirsten Dunst. :-P

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:11 am 

Well she's a good enough actress from what I've seen, so that combined with Marc Webb's direction means that I'm expecting her to at least be good.

Also, Dane DeHaan from Chronicle is playing Harry Osborn. That is gonna be great, if only because DeHaan was very, very, VERY good in Chronicle.

Metantoine wrote:

You just liked her because her tits were somewhat showing in the first one. ;)

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 am 

Metantoine about Shailene Woodly wrote:

Well, yeah, pretty much. But Kirsten is also rather dull :-P Mary Jane is supposed to have some bite, for Pete's sake!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 am 

I really hated both of the leads in the old Spider Man trilogy. If this new chick is as good as Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield, it'll be easily better on all fronts. Man The Amazing Spider-Man is good. Watched it with friends over the weekend and it really does get better every time.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 am 

I think my favorite scene between Gwen and Peter is when they're on the rooftop and he reveals to her that he's Spider Man. Hell, that's probably one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:22 am 

Maguire wasn't awful, but he was too much of a teary eyed pansy to do the character justice. Andrew is simply better in every aspect; the snarking, the expressions, the body language..... The dude's Peter Parker in the flesh.

Fast_Kill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am 

Has anyone here watched Pontypool? Its an excellent thriller/ zombie movie. I watched it yesterday since my brother had been recommending it to me for a while. I must say that the second half of the movie is not as good as the first one, but that is just because the first 45 minutes of the movie is just flawless. After that it gets a little to "sloppy" with some of the thing that occur later in the movie. But still I recommend it, very good and original movie.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:38 am 

I remember when they first showed the clip of Peter fucking with the car thief online people on an old forum I used to frequent said Spider Man was a douchebag. Umm, that's kind of the point. He's a snarky bastard who screws around with criminals he faces. They also complained that he was skateboarding, because, as we know, no socially awkward science nerds have any interests outside of being a socially awkward science nerd. :rolleyes:

I also actually quite liked that Peter didn't struggle to either get Gwen or keep her throughout the majority of the movie. If there's any one thing about the Hollywood nerd image that I'm not too big on, it's that they either all universally have severe problems talking to girls or when they somehow do end up with one they spend a large amount of time trying hard to keep her. Gwen and Peter in the movie didn't feel like that. It just felt like two people naturally made for each other naturally realizing that. It felt more like a real relationship, minus the whole costumed web slinging superhero thing.

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:19 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I can't wait to see how they'll depict the Green Goblin, yet I'm also very afraid of how they'll handle the whole Gwen Stacy..... Issue. Anyone who is familiar with the comics surely knows what I'm talking about. I just don't want to spoil it for everyone else.

No confirmation for Green Goblin yet although Chris Cooper will play Norman Osborn. So I think they'll save the 'Gwen issue' for the third outing or something might happen at the end you know.

Xlxlx wrote:
Metantoine about Shailene Woodly wrote:

Well, yeah, pretty much. But Kirsten is also rather dull :-P Mary Jane is supposed to have some bite, for Pete's sake!

Meh, the girl from The Descendants and she's as much dull as Kirsten Dunst. More like Sleepy Jane Watson. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is the ideal person for playing Mary Jane Watson. She has got that bite you're talking about.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:22 pm 

There's also Jamie Foxx as Electro. I don't even really care what character he's playing; after seeing him in Django, I will watch any movie he's got a big role in.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:33 pm 

Foxx as Electro? That's..... Surprising. Guess we won't see him intepreted as a petty, cackling maniac then.
doomster999 wrote:
Here's the ideal MJW for silver screen, not some lethargic fairy princess.

Okay..... You might have a point. A great point, in fact.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:33 pm 

Here's the ideal MJW for silver screen, not some lethargic fairy princess.

Last.fm

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:45 pm 

It's quite a thing nowadays, from Nick Fury to Electro all getting a black twist. :-P

Last.fm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:49 pm 

At least he can't look any dumber than Electro in the 2003 Spider Man animated show looked.

Seriously, he looks like the ice titan from Hercules.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
It's quite a thing nowadays, from Nick Fury to Electro all getting a black twist. :-P

Yeah, but Nick Fury's change was to be expected, considering that his Ultimate version deliberately looks like Samuel L. Jackson. The decision to cast Foxx as Electro is just odd. Not that I'm complaining though, as he's a great actor.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 pm 

I have my fingers crossed for the inevitable black Batman.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm 

But who would play him?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:03 pm 

Fred Williamson, of course.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:04 pm 

Blaxploitation The Dark Knight Returns?

Someone green light that NOW.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:34 am 

Can we get Ken Foree in on this ?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:03 am 

Iron Sky: This movie was fucking awesome. I loved it. Literally NONE of the jokes fell flat for me. It looks fucking good too, and the acting is tremendously entertaining to watch, with some surprisingly clever dialogue for a movie about fucking NAZIS IN SPACE (how fucking awesome is that premise anyways? worth watching for that alone) sweet music. I laughed out loud many times. A million times better than I expected.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:56 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Iron Sky: This movie was fucking awesome. I loved it. Literally NONE of the jokes fell flat for me. It looks fucking good too, and the acting is tremendously entertaining to watch, with some surprisingly clever dialogue for a movie about fucking NAZIS IN SPACE (how fucking awesome is that premise anyways? worth watching for that alone) sweet music. I laughed out loud many times. A million times better than I expected.

Nazis is game to you ?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:41 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

:nono:
Timo Vuorensola is such an awful director it completely blows my mind. Exactly what jokes even were there, outside of a completely forced Downfall parody and some generic potshots at American exceptionalism?

Just watch Uwe Boll's Postal instead. Now that's broad satire done RIGHT (or at least less abysmally.) Just make sure it's the original German director's cut and not the gutted American rated/unrated cut.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396 ... 818  Next