Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:58 am 

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=88355

It'll be released in late April/early May, first in Germany, then Europe, then America.

Who's excited? I actually enjoyed In War and Pieces and, while it doesn't match previous monsters like Agent Orange, Tapping the Veinn, and others, Sodom are still reigning. I'm looking forward to hearing this!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 am 

Count me in. I'll check out anything this band does.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 am 

Well this is a pleasant surprise! I had no idea they were working on new material.

I found War and Pieces a little bland, hopefully this album will be an improvement.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 am 

It's interesting to watch their evolution over the years and see that they're arguably more melodic now than ever. Not in the same way that Kreator has become by comparison but certainly more than anyone would have seen in their early days and even then, they still hold fast to their Motorhead and punk influences today. In War and Pieces had solid production that served the songs well and retained that Sodom viciousness they've built on since Code Red without sounding sterile. Going with Waldemar Sorychta again should provide even better results and I hope they stick with him for the duration of their career. I'd prefer if it's a little more uptempo as whole this time around, but if nothing else it'll be interesting to hear what Markus Freiwald brings to the drum throne. Bernemann's gone unnoticed as a guitar player both in Sodom's history and the genre as a whole, ESPECIALLY for his leads and solos. You know Tom's bass will bring the thunder, and a title like Epitome of Torture just reads like a bludgeoning in the making. For whatever reason, I'm optimistic this will be more than just another Sodom album.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 am 

Mikey and I seem to be the only two people who adore In War and Pieces. Bummer they'll be releasing this while I'm indisposed, but I'm totally looking forward to it!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:17 am 

Based on ModusOperandi's description, I should probably get into some more recent Sodom. I've been stuck with Agent Orange and earlier stuff lately (and Tapping the Vein - what a massive improvement over Better Off Dead).

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:11 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Based on ModusOperandi's description, I should probably get into some more recent Sodom. I've been stuck with Agent Orange and earlier stuff lately (and Tapping the Vein - what a massive improvement over Better Off Dead).

Tapping the Vein is one of kind in their catalog, and a hell of an album it is too, no argument there. However, there's nothing they've done since that mirrors the all-out death/thrash assault it brings so take that into account for what you will. In War and Pieces probably showcases the best of what they've done right on each album after 'Til Death Do Us Unite. That might be one of the better places to start for more current Sodom. M-16 often gets thrown about as a "true comeback" album for the band and their genre peers at the turn of the century, so there's another starting point that might work for you.

Last edited by ModusOperandi on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:07 am 

For me personally I like the new stuff, but my heart belongs to albums like Agent Orange, Better Off Dead and Tapping the Vein which are all outstanding but different on their own. Agent Orange was a perfect mixture of the German Thrash style with melodic elements, Better Off Dead is in my eyes their most melodic album with some of their best songs ever written "Eye for an eye", "Saw is the Law" and "Resurrection" but also some weaker parts. Tapping the Vein is pure brutality and was a total different step. Initially I wasn't really satisfied with this album but it has really grown on me over the years.
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:02 am 

This title reminds me of the "Pinnacle of Bedlam". Been meaning to listen to In War and Pieces. I have a raging boner for modern releases by classic thrash bands.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Mikey and I seem to be the only two people who adore In War and Pieces. Bummer they'll be releasing this while I'm indisposed, but I'm totally looking forward to it!

I like In War And Pieces as well! The title track is a beast.

On topic, I'm really looking forward to the new album. Epitome of Torture is an awesome title.

Westvargr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 am 

I hated In War and Pieces for it's plastic-production and the too close to melodeath-riffing. I don't think I even care about a new album.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 am 

Meh. I'll give it a spin when it comes out, but I'm not a fan of their latter albums.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 pm 

The problem with in war and pieces for me was that tom just sings in that one tone, has no dynamics. Like in persecution mania, he actually sang, and sang at a talking level. He really delivered a fun performance. For me, war and pieces, all I can remember is "IN WAR AND PIIIIIIEEEEECCCCCEEEEESSSS!!!" times however many refrains. It's not as fun, except I've come to expect acts that are around for a while to just become tired sounding. I think maybe they're just getting bored or something. I fucking love sodom's earlier albums though.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:41 pm 

I didnt really car for In War And Pieces except for a few stand out tracks. I may revisit it after posting here. When it comes to modern Sodom, I really like the album M-16 but their self titled is probbably my favorite. However I do pretty much like everything Sodom have done. Agent Orange has become one of my favorite albums of all time. I will be looking forward to this with high hopes.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:04 pm 

Cover art
Spoiler: show

Album info and tracklist
Quote:
“The devil is in the detail,” as the old saying goes. Translated to Sodom vocalist/bassist Tom Angelripper’s sharp-tongued and highly critical powers of observation, you might also say: the worst perversions often hide behind seemingly harmless terms. What are we referring to? For example to ‘Katjuscha’, one of twelve hard-as-nails songs which Sodom present on their latest studio album, Epitome Of Torture. After all, Sodom’s ‘Katjuscha’ has little to do with the same-named folk song by Mikhail Isakovsky, but is about the Russian rocket launcher which has been responsible for death and destruction thousandfold. “The Katjuscha has been produced since World War II and is still used today,” the Sodom frontman explains. “It’s been responsible for the death of more people than Stalin’s organ. To name such a deadly weapon after a girl is as grotesque as giving the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima the code name ‘Little Boy’.” It’s obvious that Sodom 2013 haven’t changed their scornful view of the world, presenting an album in Epitome Of Torture that is as uncompromising as ever in musical as well as lyrical terms. “Unfortunately there’s still plenty of inspiration for angry lyrics around,” says Angelripper.

The bitter thrash metal attack ‘Waterboarding’, which deals with torture methods, fits perfectly into this context. “It always surprises me how inventive – in the most negative sense of the word – people can be when it comes to torturing others,” states the vocalist, who recorded Epitome Of Torture together with guitarist Bernemann and new drummer Markus “Makka” Freiwald. “At the same time, Epitome Of Torture features not only typical Sodom numbers, like the title track, our new hit ‘S.O.D.O.M.’ and ‘Stigmatized’, the toughest Sodom number in ages, but also two or three recordings which are slightly more moderate and melodic than what people have come to expect from us,” Tom Angelripper points out. He is referring to songs such as ‘Cannibal’ and ‘Tracing The Victim’, which allow guitarist Bernemann to present his impressive musical skills, as well as ‘Into The Skies Of War’, on which Angelripper allowed himself to be inspired by icons such as Motörhead and Tank: “Luckily, it’s impossible to hide my influences.”

Epitome Of Torture was produced by Waldemar Sorychta, whose expertise as a sound engineer and audio magician thoroughly benefitted Sodom’s 2010 release In War And Pieces. Tom Angelripper: “Waldemar is an exceptional producer, who always succeeds in evening out an artistŽs weak spot and promoting his strengths. He doesn’t let you get away with anything, he knows all our weak spots. Which occasionally makes working at the studio a little demanding, but at the end of the day it’s all worthwhile, as the result shows.” The Sodom frontman describes the sound on Epitome Of Torture as “hard-as-nails and contemporary, without ignoring our tried-and-tested old-school attitude.”

The new album will be available worldwide through SPV/Steamhammer in four different formats: as a limited-edition DigiPak including two bonus tracks and a poster, in a regular jewel case, as a double gatefold colored vinyl with three bonus tracks and for download. The cover artwork featuring Sodom‘s popular “Knarrenheinz”logo was developed by graphic designer Meran Karanitant, who has caused a stir with his work for Six Feet Under, Hatebreed and Dimmu Borgir, among others.

Release Dates are: Germany April 26th, Europe April 29th and US/Canada May 7th!

Tracklisting:

Limited Edition Digipak:

1. My Final Bullet 04:40
2. S.O.D.O.M. 03:46
3. Epitome Of Torture 03:31
4. Stigmatized 02:56
5. Cannibal 04:19
6. Shoot Today – Kill Tomorrow 04:01
7. Invocating The Demons 04:25
8. Katjuscha 03:43
9. Into The Skies Of War 03:51
10. Tracing The Victim 04:46
11. Waterboarding 05:06 (bonus track)
12. Splitting The Atom 04:28 (bonus track)

Hmm... I liked In War and Pieces. It wasn't excellent, but Sodom could still write some sweet numbers like Styptic Parasite and Murder One. Some tracks were a bit unexciting but not terrible. Unnecessary ''modern'' bits or simply just by the numbers tracks like Hellfire and Knarrenheinz. A bit too melodic at parts, but I guess that's to be expected because it's what is popular in Germany these days. It's definitely not their strength. Although I must say that I really liked the vocals, the pissed off that I like.

This announcement leaves me a bit uneasy. Just the name of the album and the cover art. Epitome of Torture? Just seems like an attempt for an ''ultra brutal'' name and I feel it ends up being a bit... kiddy for the lack of a better expression. As the cover. I'm not the biggest fan of Eliran Kantor, but he definitely did some good looking paintings with Sigh's In Somniphobia and In War and Pieces. But this one... it's just ugly. They worked with several good artists throughout their career, why do they have to get this one? It doesn't look like a Sodom cover at all and with the photoshopping... It's just what I loathe about some modern cover artworks. And god is it overkill with the saws, the skulls, the tank, the knot... it's just lame. I mean, sure they already have some ''badass'' covers like Code Red, but at least it was good looking and more simplistic.

And S.O.D.O.M. ? Come on, isn't that a lame track title? Seems like they borrowed from Destruction's bad idea in D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N.. But other than some ugly track titles, I think Katjuscha, Into the Skies of War, Tracing the Victim, Waterboarding and Splitting the Atom to be nice names. Into the Skies of War in particular looks interesting considering they show their Tank and Motorhead influences. Murder One was a good one. But apparently we have ''moderate and melodic'' numbers. I mean, I don't mind a band trying new things, but I always like that there was one area Sodom were always consistent. That, and it's obvious it is to satisfy the German metal market. And I never liked it when I band states that their new album is ''uncompromising as ever''. Most of the time, even if it's not bad, it's just them writing more boring and shorter stuff they are used to. Anyway, it has the potential to be a good album, so I'll keep my eyes out.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:05 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Cover art

Album info and tracklist
Quote:
“The devil is in the detail,” as the old saying goes. Translated to Sodom vocalist/bassist Tom Angelripper’s sharp-tongued and highly critical powers of observation, you might also say: the worst perversions often hide behind seemingly harmless terms. What are we referring to? For example to ‘Katjuscha’, one of twelve hard-as-nails songs which Sodom present on their latest studio album, Epitome Of Torture. After all, Sodom’s ‘Katjuscha’ has little to do with the same-named folk song by Mikhail Isakovsky, but is about the Russian rocket launcher which has been responsible for death and destruction thousandfold. “The Katjuscha has been produced since World War II and is still used today,” the Sodom frontman explains. “It’s been responsible for the death of more people than Stalin’s organ. To name such a deadly weapon after a girl is as grotesque as giving the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima the code name ‘Little Boy’.” It’s obvious that Sodom 2013 haven’t changed their scornful view of the world, presenting an album in Epitome Of Torture that is as uncompromising as ever in musical as well as lyrical terms. “Unfortunately there’s still plenty of inspiration for angry lyrics around,” says Angelripper.

The bitter thrash metal attack ‘Waterboarding’, which deals with torture methods, fits perfectly into this context. “It always surprises me how inventive – in the most negative sense of the word – people can be when it comes to torturing others,” states the vocalist, who recorded Epitome Of Torture together with guitarist Bernemann and new drummer Markus “Makka” Freiwald. “At the same time, Epitome Of Torture features not only typical Sodom numbers, like the title track, our new hit ‘S.O.D.O.M.’ and ‘Stigmatized’, the toughest Sodom number in ages, but also two or three recordings which are slightly more moderate and melodic than what people have come to expect from us,” Tom Angelripper points out. He is referring to songs such as ‘Cannibal’ and ‘Tracing The Victim’, which allow guitarist Bernemann to present his impressive musical skills, as well as ‘Into The Skies Of War’, on which Angelripper allowed himself to be inspired by icons such as Motörhead and Tank: “Luckily, it’s impossible to hide my influences.”

Epitome Of Torture was produced by Waldemar Sorychta, whose expertise as a sound engineer and audio magician thoroughly benefitted Sodom’s 2010 release In War And Pieces. Tom Angelripper: “Waldemar is an exceptional producer, who always succeeds in evening out an artistŽs weak spot and promoting his strengths. He doesn’t let you get away with anything, he knows all our weak spots. Which occasionally makes working at the studio a little demanding, but at the end of the day it’s all worthwhile, as the result shows.” The Sodom frontman describes the sound on Epitome Of Torture as “hard-as-nails and contemporary, without ignoring our tried-and-tested old-school attitude.”

The new album will be available worldwide through SPV/Steamhammer in four different formats: as a limited-edition DigiPak including two bonus tracks and a poster, in a regular jewel case, as a double gatefold colored vinyl with three bonus tracks and for download. The cover artwork featuring Sodom‘s popular “Knarrenheinz”logo was developed by graphic designer Meran Karanitant, who has caused a stir with his work for Six Feet Under, Hatebreed and Dimmu Borgir, among others.

Release Dates are: Germany April 26th, Europe April 29th and US/Canada May 7th!

Tracklisting:

Limited Edition Digipak:

1. My Final Bullet 04:40
2. S.O.D.O.M. 03:46
3. Epitome Of Torture 03:31
4. Stigmatized 02:56
5. Cannibal 04:19
6. Shoot Today – Kill Tomorrow 04:01
7. Invocating The Demons 04:25
8. Katjuscha 03:43
9. Into The Skies Of War 03:51
10. Tracing The Victim 04:46
11. Waterboarding 05:06 (bonus track)
12. Splitting The Atom 04:28 (bonus track)

Hmm... I liked In War and Pieces. It wasn't excellent, but Sodom could still write some sweet numbers like Styptic Parasite and Murder One. Some tracks were a bit unexciting but not terrible. Unnecessary ''modern'' bits or simply just by the numbers tracks like Hellfire and Knarrenheinz. A bit too melodic at parts, but I guess that's to be expected because it's what is popular in Germany these days. It's definitely not their strength. Although I must say that I really liked the vocals, the pissed off that I like.

This announcement leaves me a bit uneasy. Just the name of the album and the cover art. Epitome of Torture? Just seems like an attempt for an ''ultra brutal'' name and I feel it ends up being a bit... kiddy for the lack of a better expression. As the cover. I'm not the biggest fan of Eliran Kantor, but he definitely did some good looking paintings with Sigh's In Somniphobia and In War and Pieces. But this one... it's just ugly. They worked with several good artists throughout their career, why do they have to get this one? It doesn't look like a Sodom cover at all and with the photoshopping... It's just what I loathe about some modern cover artworks. And god is it overkill with the saws, the skulls, the tank, the knot... it's just lame. I mean, sure they already have some ''badass'' covers like Code Red, but at least it was good looking and more simplistic.

And S.O.D.O.M. ? Come on, isn't that a lame track title? Seems like they borrowed from Destruction's bad idea in D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N.. But other than some ugly track titles, I think Katjuscha, Into the Skies of War, Tracing the Victim, Waterboarding and Splitting the Atom to be nice names. Into the Skies of War in particular looks interesting considering they show their Tank and Motorhead influences. Murder One was a good one. But apparently we have ''moderate and melodic'' numbers. I mean, I don't mind a band trying new things, but I always like that there was one area Sodom were always consistent. That, and it's obvious it is to satisfy the German metal market. And I never liked it when I band states that their new album is ''uncompromising as ever''. Most of the time, even if it's not bad, it's just them writing more boring and shorter stuff they are used to. Anyway, it has the potential to be a good album, so I'll keep my eyes out.

Good points here. This one is no different than Phantom Antichrist or other similar thrash album titles. It seems to have that serious but humorous slant like many others. I do like the album art just fine for the band and genre. More or less it's your typical big-name thrash cover but not shitty by any means. The title is a little over-done perhaps, but...

...at least they didn't name the album some derivation of '13' like elventy-billion other albums recently. :lol:

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:40 pm 

I really liked In War And Pieces but the self titled from 2006 is even better. Really looking forward to this album!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:56 pm 

In War and Pieces was a solid slab of modern thrash. I'll be surprised if this turns out to be anything besides that. That cover art is woeful though.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:07 pm 

Probably the best of the old guard who are still active.

MikeyC have you completed your Vomitor collection yet?

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm 

''Shoot Today - Kill Tomorrow'' has leaked. Could've been worse but I'm not really impressed. The riffing isn't bad during the verse, but the chorus is pretty damn generic and unexciting. Hopefully the rest will prove to be better.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm 

I will refuse to listen until I get the cd

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:12 pm 

"Pinnacle of Bedlam", "Epitome of Torture". :ugh:

Hope this formula for album titles doesn't become a trend.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Why not?

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:52 pm 

Smalley wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Why not?

Yeah, we still need to get "Summit of Sufffering" and "Climax of Chaos"...

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 pm 

Whether the title is good or not, I'm excited for this. I just love German thrash.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:17 am 

Epitome Of Torture, indeed, that's what I expect it to be. SoTom has become incredibly lame formulaic crowd pleasing trash. They should just start being deathlike silent already.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:51 pm 

I didn't give their last album a very fair shot, so I might have to re-listen to it. But I don't remember it being particularly striking. I hope that this album isn't 'just another solid Sodom album'. Not when bands like Overkill are putting out the best music of their careers. They have to be more innovative in their music or be more creative then they have been and put out something that is more then just solid.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:17 am 

I really want to give the new album a chance especially since I've already praised In War and Pieces in this very thread but man, Shoot Today... just sounds so by-the-numbers that I'm not so sure anymore. I'd be a little disheartened if Epitome of Torture winds up being just more of the same only with lesser songwriting. Makka's a step up from Bobby but I already figured that going in. It's not that it's inherently a bad song, it just sounds too interchangeable as if it could have been on any other of their recent albums. While that might work for some bands, it's not what I want out of Sodom who only puts out albums once every 3-plus years now.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:40 am 

Well there is always Vomitor albums.

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:26 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

I love ALL releases by Sodom, great band. Looking forward to this album. I think i texted MikeyC about this album. :p One of many albums that i am looking forward to in 2013. :)

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:59 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

You know, I wouldn't say I adore it, but In War and Pieces is a very enjoyable listen.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:09 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

You know, I wouldn't say I adore it, but In War and Pieces is a very enjoyable listen.

Yeah I'm in the camp that likes the album, as well. Some damn good songs on it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 pm 

"In War and Pieces" I found to be slightly dissapointing... not because it lacked in quality, but because it didn't quite meassure up to their better records. Sodom got four or five albums under their belt that are simply magnificent, but this one was more akin to some of their more forgettable 90s output.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm 

Why do people keep saying their 90ies output is forgettable? Obviously Tapping the Vein kills, but I always thought the others are quite nice. Get What you Deserve is pretty vicious punkish thrash. I love old hardcore punk so I guess it helps, but seriously it's pretty pissed off, hard hitting and catchy. Masquerade in Blood isn't top notch, but it has its killer moments, cool stuff. The album where they wrote their best Motorhead-like songs. The production could definitely be a bit better though, I like the overall sound but the mix is somehow a bit muddy. And Til' Death do us Unite is definitely underrated, killer thrash throughout. Fuck the Police is particularly rad as the punkish tracks like Gisela. I'd take any of these albums over In War and Pieces, probably over the s/t and Code Red too.

Last edited by Evil_Johnny_666 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:32 pm 

Agreed on most of those points, too, Johnny. Sodom still ruled into the early '90s, but they did start to lose me a little after when they pushed into the late '90s. M-16's production bothers me, too.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:35 pm 

Oh, Code Red was released in 1999. Definitely not their best album. Its biggest problem is probably that it lacks character. It indeed feels like a Slayer album, at least more so than a Sodom one.

And OzzyApu, yeah, M16's production is something. Although I must say I like it now, it has its charm. But it took me quite a while for this, I really was uncomfortable at first. It sounded... wrong.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Why do people keep saying their 90ies output is forgettable?

I can only speak for myself, but for me, something like "Masquerade in Blood" doesn't quite cut it, if I hold it up to the standards that have been set with "Persecution Mania" or "Agent Orange"...

So it's their own damn fault for making records that are so fucking great earlier... :P

But mind you, Sodom imo never released a truly bad album and there are good songs on each of their full lenghts...

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 pm 

Peroy wrote:
So it's their own damn fault for making records that are so fucking great earlier... :P

Haha, agreed. But my biggest fear with Sodom is if they lack the inspiration. I don't mind if they release an album which can't compare with their earlier stuff, but I'd be pretty damn happy if I get something which can compare to their 90ies output. Shoot Today-Kill Tomorrow sounds like unmemorable rehashed stuff, a downgrade. It's not bad, but terribly unexciting and them showing a bit of inspiration would make a difference.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 pm 

Can't comment on Shoot Today, didn't give it a listen yet... No need to hurry either, I can wait for release day. Sodom aren't really a band that I have to reassure myself beforehand, for they got a pretty good track record...

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 am 

Tapping The Vein is fucking awesome indeed. I rate it better than Agent Orange even.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next