Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:32 am 

"The new Cathedral "The Last Spire" out April 30. The album will be the last in their career."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cXybRkZUpw

I think it's a very good song, many times remind me to the Forest. Sincerely I've lost interest in Lee Dorrian's effort after the amazing 'Caravan Beyond Redemption', but if all the tracks sound like this new one I'll buy it mandatory.

"You make it easy."

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:03 am 

Hmm good news about a new album but not so good about it being their last :thumbsdown: :thumbsup:

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:19 am 

Can someone tell me what Cathedral's final live show was? Because I could have sworn it was meant to be their last at Soundwave 2012 in Perth. I didn't get to see them, though, since they moved the whole schedule for that stage around at the last minute.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:24 am 

I think that song is actually a lot better than most of their shit, but holy FUCK do they drag.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 am 

I'm kind of surprised by how this sounds- I was expecting something closer to The Guessing Game. It could be another fairly varied album though. I liked it, anyway.

I'm still gutted they decided to discontinue Cathedral, but I suppose I'd rather see them go out with a bang than hang on forever and dwindle. Anyone who's not a fan of their latter albums may feel it's already too late for them, but I really like their recent input and think it's a hell of a legacy to leave.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 am 

Definitely got a Forest/Ethereal vibe from this one so you can still color me excited for this one. Then again, I loved Garden and The Guessing Game in addition to the other albums I've heard of theirs so I'd be looking forward to this either way, really.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 pm 

Apparently Chris from Autopsy is doing guest vocals on the first song. I'm excited for this either way. One of me favorite bands, Cathedral are.

Obligatory Last FM Link

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:51 pm 

The single I heard was pretty kick-ass.
I will be sad to see them go. But if my calculations are correct, they're going out with an evil, heavy bang.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:17 pm 

Cool song but I wanted Cathedral to be even more prog than on The Guessing Game...I guess I'm happy with their choice anyway, can't wait for the album!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:50 pm 

To me, Cathedral are at their best when they're heavy and doomy. When they write more proggy songs, I'm not as into it. I'm glad that if they're going out with one last album, it'll be a heavy one.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:15 pm 

ENKC wrote:
Can someone tell me what Cathedral's final live show was? Because I could have sworn it was meant to be their last at Soundwave 2012 in Perth. I didn't get to see them, though, since they moved the whole schedule for that stage around at the last minute.
No mate I can't, but their 'Anniversary' album is a double live one and is really good, I'm selling one too by the way.
It's 'Forest Of Equilibrium' live in its entirety on one disc then a selection of other songs on another disc, same gig, apparently it was recorded during some insane storm in England the disc is called "Freak Winter" ha ha :roll:

DisruptioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:43 am 

The start reminds me of Children of the Cross

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 am 

Nice, heavy song. Covert art looks like the Anniversary slipcase 2.0, it's not great, but I don't care, I'll be a first day buyer for any Cathedral studio album. Glad to see they're going out with a bang!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:56 am 

Quote:
Nice, heavy song. Covert art looks like the Anniversary slipcase 2.0, it's not great, but I don't care, I'll be a first day buyer for any Cathedral studio album. Glad to see they're going out with a bang!

Spoiler: show

Anniversary's slipcase is literally almost identical to the artwork for the Soul Sacrifice EP, so at least this one is more fresh - I'm guessing that'll be the slip-case, and there'll be some of their usual insanely detailed trippy blue-and-purple goodness beneath.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:33 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Anniversary's slipcase is literally almost identical to the artwork for the Soul Sacrifice EP

If anyone is interested in the band's use of that image, they originally took it from an illustration in "The Book of Jade", a collection of decadent poetry by American poet David Park Barnitz that also directly inspired much of the band's lyrical imagery ("A Funeral Request" is almost entirely derived from Barnitz's poems.)

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:51 am 

Thanks for that, balbulus!
I always found their writings rather esoteric but also very, very neat!

As for the new album, I love Cathedral whether they be proggy or straightforward. They are one of those bands I felt transformed brilliantly into all these amazing things given how most people claim Stoner/Doom is mono-dimensional.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:54 pm 

This thread has put me on a huge Cathedral kick. I've been listening to all of their stuff that I have, and the second disc of Anniversary convinced me I needed to order the missing albums from my collection. Great band!

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:10 pm 

The album has leaked

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:22 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
The album has leaked

OH SHIT

I'll give my thoughts later!

I'm glad the songs are lengthy

1. Entrance to Hell 3:15
2. Pallbearer 12:04
3. Cathedral of the Damned 6:01
4. Tower of Silence 07:09
5. Infestation of Grey Death 9:22
6. An Observation 10:42
7. The Last Laugh 0:39
8. This Body, Thy Tomb 9:07

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 am 

On 4th track now, enjoying it. Seems better than anything done in the last decade so far

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:49 am 

The album has leaked

Yea, but 160 kbps. :thumbsdown: I'll wait for 320 or at least 192.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:25 pm 

Poor baby...

I was writing a track by track, I'll finish it today and I'll post it.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:42 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
The album has leaked

Yea, but 160 kbps. :thumbsdown: I'll wait for 320 or at least 192.

There is a 192 version up at Rockbox Torrents. You could grab that.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 pm 

Considering the file size I don't think the one at Rockbox is 192. The uploader is probably trying to fool everyone. :-P
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:25 pm 

Track by track review YEAH
1) an intro, very noisy feedback and some bells and the words "bring out your dead" are constantly repeated, I think it's Lee but it's said like in the Holy Grail movie
2) Pallbearer is the longest track on the album (12 mins) and it's a slow doom track, it doesn't quite go into the stoner territory either, it's Sabbathesque as fuck. There's some weird female vocals moaning some back vocal lines too. Let me tell you that it's better than the whole discography of Pallbearer (including their future albums) combined. There's some kind of organs behind the slow heavy riffs and there's a nice acoustic break midway through the songs and it's fucking awesome, after this the song became faster, there's cool bass lines before the awesome slow lead of Gaz, it's a massive amazing track.
3) The shortest track (except the intro) is next, it's still 6 mins ahah. It's a mid paced doom/stoner track with very fuzzy riffs, kinda similar to Endtyme, there's a keyboard break in the middle so they still have some of the weird elements that The Guessing Game brought to the table. The riffs and the solo are very enjoyable.
4) This track leaked some days ago, it got me excited. It's heavy as fuck but it's nothing new, reminds me of The Garden of Unearthly Delights, fine song.
5) Mid paced long track with lots of heavy doom riffs, nothing really different from the previous track.
6) The other long track of the album (10 mins) and it's quite awesome. The first half is traditional doom but a keyboard break starts at around 6 mins and it gets weird, it's proggy as fuck and reminds me of the heaviest Dream Theater tracks, it's a very spectacular track with a great atmosphere
7) A short interlude, it's basically some laughter and it's building some momentum for the final track.
8) Cool 9 minutes track, once again it works very well when it deviates from their doom sound and goes into proggy or acoustic territory. There's some samples of a swamp just after the enjoyable break and the heavy riffs, The last 4 minutes or so are instrumental and it's a mix of organ and guitars, somewhat of a abrupt way to end the record, but it's a great song.

So what we have is perhaps Cathedral's best album since at least Endtyme or even Caravan Beyond Redemption. It's pushing aside their stoner influences and while it's not a continuation of the full blown progressive approach of The Guessing Game, there's still some many weird moments using keyboards, organ, acoustic guitars or subtle female vocals. There's not as many blistering leads as before, it's slower and the riffs have the time to flow well. If you weren't a fan of Lee, this album won't change your opinion, but he's less present than usual.

The Last Spire is a worthy testament for Cathedral, they're ending their career with a really strong album. I guess I'll write a review when it will be released...

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:03 pm 

Yeah, pretty much agree with you. Good album to end their career, the slower parts reminded me of their earlier stuff, so they ended full circle. Their best in a decade.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 pm 

Slower parts reminds you of their earliest? As much as I like their groovy stoner stuff, can't say I'm disappointed in hearing this!

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:41 pm 

Some bold statements 'round here. I'm more excited than ever!

Obligatory Last FM Link

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 pm 

Yeah, there's a Carnival Bizarre vibe and the stoner elements aren't quite present. Can't stop listening to it!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 am 

Cathedral-hype is the new Darkthrone-hype? :) I'll take you up on your review, Tony! I'm honestly not a Cathedral fan but I like doom nonetheless so will give this a try.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:36 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Track by track review YEAHThe Last Spire is a worthy testament for Cathedral, they're ending their career with a really strong album. I guess I'll write a review when it will be released...

Write one on your blog for the time being.

Also, some parts remind me of that 27 minute track on The Garden of Unearthly Delights.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 am 

Ooh, I'm so excited for this! I will wait for the release to listen to it but I love these little mini-reviews, they really whet the appetite...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:28 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Track by track review YEAHThe Last Spire is a worthy testament for Cathedral, they're ending their career with a really strong album. I guess I'll write a review when it will be released...

Write one on your blog for the time being.

I don't really have the time for that right now :( I'll do one near the release date!

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:56 pm 

New track "Tower of Silence" sounds good! Looking forward to the vinyl release of the new album.

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 pm 

I'm impressed. I'm gonna be a first day buyer for sure.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 pm 

I liked Tower of Silence more than anything off of the Guessing Game so that is promising. I am of the same mind as Evoken when it comes to Cathedral, the proggy trippy stuff does less for me than when they are heavy and doomy.

lsid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 am 

The die hard edition is available now via Rise Above Records. £30 + £8.80 shipping to the UK! I honestly don't understand their postage prices, unless they are sending it Special delivery within the UK but they never have done so with previous releases. Christ knows what people overseas will be charged...

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:00 am 

The Last Spire is massive! It's like 70% Endtyme, 25% Forest of Equilibrium, 5% The Guessing Game. Lots of unpredictable but stellar things going in many of the longer songs. Fantastic way to turn off the Cathedral machine.

Obligatory Last FM Link

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm 

Now that the album's officially out perhaps it'd be a good time to revive this thread for some more discussion. Here's the first part of an interview bravewords.com did with Lee Dorrian in case you're interested. Apparently one of the songs they were working on was a half hour long and unfinished but they might go back and work on it down the road.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/203275

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:52 pm 

They totally went out with a giant, awesome bang. I'm gonna miss them.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next