* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 am 

DUDE. PUSHING DAISIES.

LIEK. DUDE.

Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls are almost perfect as well, but nothing can be quite as perfect as Pushing Daisies.

And I am being slightly hyperbolic of course (sup, M-A!), but I've yet to find anything with the almost Shakespearean wit of the dialog, unparalleled art design and batshit-crazy-yet-completely-logical plot arcs on television (yes, even on premium networks) that's present in every episode of Pushing Daisies. It's about as good as ultra-dark-yet-played-super-lightly comedy is probably ever going to get.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:51 am 

I saw a commercial for Bates Motel in front of Dark Skies on Sunday. It actually looks pretty good. Definitely gonna give it a watch.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:52 am 

You know, I'll check it out. So far you've told me to watch Peep Show and that was pretty much the greatest thing ever so I have no reason to doubt your TV skills. YET.
Dead Like Me seemed like a hugely pretentious show from the commercials I saw years back though.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:12 am 

Hehe, you should probably git on baby-Peep-Show AKA Fresh Meat before you watch anything else I recommend. It's a bit sad the first three episodes are the worst of the entire series, buuuuut... you know how it is.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:30 am 

Thoughts on American Horror Story?

I liked the first season but not to a great extent. I found it too gratuitous to make up for a story that was quite disjointed. But Jessica Lange and Evan Peters were awesome...and so it was a joy to see them in the second season about the Asylum which I have to say was a greatly involving story.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:34 am 

The first season started pretty cool, lots of wacky weirdness and an awesome intro sequence. Then they made it into a mystery drama instead of horror/thriller, and it got pretty lame, starting with that awful "on Halloween, ghosts roam freely" episode, so by about the 8th episode every ghost has a back story and whatever and it lacked any real purpose or quality. Then the last episode and a half is about the worst thing ever put on television, with a stupid happy family of ghosts and the goddamned fake haunting/carnie ride used as a bonding session. Genuinely the worst ending to a show that I've ever seen.

I've only seen the first two eps of the second season, but I'm not really digging it. Straight away it's into the mystery stuff with absolutely 0 horror elements, and the whole current day element seems worthless, the whole show is set in the past, and I really don't give a shit about the maroon 5 singer getting his armed ripped off with nothing else at all going on. Also, Aliens better not actually be a part of it, because that's stupid.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:06 am 

DeathBySuicide wrote:
Thoughts on American Horror Story?

I liked the first season but not to a great extent. I found it too gratuitous to make up for a story that was quite disjointed. But Jessica Lange and Evan Peters were awesome...and so it was a joy to see them in the second season about the Asylum which I have to say was a greatly involving story.

The teaser trailers, etc made it misleading, since it had nothing to do with the show. I think I liked season 2 better, but not really a "horror" show to me.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:52 am 

After watching the staggering new trailer and checking out the absolutely insane coterie of directors and, of course, actors, I'm officially predicting Hannibal to be superior to Game of Thrones. In every way.

...well, except source material. In that respect they're neck and neck: I don't care much for either of them. :P

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 am 

I like AHS okay. It's not great, but it's watchable. I've heard season 2 is better so I'll stick it out.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:42 am 

Season 2 of AHS is good. It develops much better than the first season whose ending was incredibly bullshitting.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:12 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
After watching the staggering new trailer and checking out the absolutely insane coterie of directors and, of course, actors, I'm officially predicting Hannibal to be superior to Game of Thrones. In every way.

...well, except source material. In that respect they're neck and neck: I don't care much for either of them. :P

Douchey and smarmy post aside (I mean it's just darkeningday being himself...), that's actually kind of interesting. Mads Mikkelsen, creator (and some actors from) of Dead Like Me, Gina Torres... those are great ingredients for sure, let's hope the result is as good as it looks.

Can't see the trailer in my country though. :rolleyes: Edit: nevermind, found some other videos on youtube. I hate when they do that, though, seems so retarded and counter-productive.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:29 pm 

Have you seen either Pushing Daisies or Wonderfalls, Morrigan? Although I liked Dead Like Me a lot, I found both of those shows superior, especially after a re-watch.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:20 pm 

Nope. I haven't even finished watching Dead Like Me yet.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:22 pm 

The premise of that Hannibal show reminds me of Millennium. Otherwise looks pretty different though, and seems to have potential.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:34 am 

Millennium is one of the few Chris Carter shows I never checked out. X-Files is pretty good, albeit deeply flawed, and Harsh Realm had probably even more potential than Firefly; sad it lasted for even shorter. Would you recommend Millennium? I obviously loves me some Lance Henriksen and I actually recognize most of the writing crew... seems promising.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:36 am 

It's pretty good. I never finished the whole series, but it's probably better than X-Files in some ways. Very dark and tortured.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:40 am 

I found Harsh Realm was bad, after the first 4 episodes it veered off into filler episodes that had nothing to do with finding an exit. The premise was very thin to last more than one season. Millenium on the other hand is one of my favourite tv shows, extremely solid apart from a couple of light-heated comedy episodes and a christmas 'miracle' episode. It's like the better episodes of X-files, such as Tombs and Paper Hearts, but instead of aliens it's focused on serial killers with an undercurrent of conspiracy.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 am 

Episode 14 of The Walking Dead was an utter waste, might as well have been a dream. I do sure love a blatant filler episode so close to the end of the season. And what's with every new episode ending with a song? Is this turning into Sons of Anarchy now? The first two times with a 3rd rate Johnny Cash was acceptable because it worked with the mood but now it's just there to fill the last minutes with barely any thought.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 pm 

I liked the episode until the lame ending.
Spoiler: show
It was just stupid how the governor just appeared next to Andrea out of nowhere. Also, they are really, really abusing the "stealth zombies coming out of nowhere" cliché now, it's getting ridiculous.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:49 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Episode 14 of The Walking Dead was an utter waste, might as well have been a dream. I do sure love a blatant filler episode so close to the end of the season. And what's with every new episode ending with a song? Is this turning into Sons of Anarchy now? The first two times with a 3rd rate Johnny Cash was acceptable because it worked with the mood but now it's just there to fill the last minutes with barely any thought.

Poeple has been telling me that since february everything is lame. I haven't had any chance to keep with the second part of the third season, but I don't feel like catchin up anymore...

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:14 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
People have been telling me that since february everything is lame. I haven't had any chance to keep with the second part of the third season, but I don't feel like catchin up anymore...

I wouldn't write the series off yet, there have been a few episodes of season 3 that have had a dip in quality, times where I've been checking my watch, but Clear was amazing and just like 18 Miles Out really gave a boost when it was needed. I felt cheated by 14 and 13 stagnated too much for my liking.
Spoiler: show
I couldn't believe how he just showed up out of nowhere. How could she have not seen The Governor before he struck, he's coated in black and after killing a mountain of zombies she'd be on to him in heartbeat. After all she'd been through it seemed fair that in the final minutes she meet up with Rick and tell him, and then maybe the attack would begin because The Governor didn't stop her in time.
I also couldn't stand how she didn't think to search for a better weapon when she was surrounded by them in that building.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 pm 

Watched the first season of Workaholics because a friend of mine bugged me to do so constantly. It's a pretty funny show. The episode where the guys befriend a pedophile being particularly so. It's cool to see the women in the show being funny too, cause that's a big problem I have with these types of shows. All in all, nothing world changing, but a really enjoyable show and definitely a step above most shows of this type.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:45 am 

Why on fucking earth would Andrea go into the ONLY building for seemingly miles around if she's trying to escape the guy? How about keep walking through the woods?

Show is so full of bullshit plot holes it's ridiculous.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 pm 

The Bates Motel pilot was even better than I expected. The sets look great, the characters interesting and immediately well established, the acting is spot on (from the beautiful Vera Farmiga, and Freddie Highmore). Tone wise, it's already very dark, with the parts following Norman and school being slightly lighter. It will be fun to see if they live up to the potential of this pilot.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:10 pm 

How accurate is the motel to Psycho's depiction of it?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:12 pm 

Very accurate. For all I know, they basically used the same set/built it to look the same.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 am 

Been watching a lot of seinfeld. Pretty much only get an hour of telly at the end of a long day, Perfect show for my timetable. Dont have to invest, no cares, just laughing at george costanza.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:08 am 

Watching Bates Motel right now. I'm 7 minutes in and I absolutely love this. The house looks 100% identical to the one in Psycho. It's like they shot at the exact same place Psycho was shot at.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:18 am 

I said that already :guns:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:29 am 

The acting so far has been really, really good. Freddie Highmore is doing very well at incorporating some of Anthony Perkins's mannerisms into his performance, and Vera Farmiga as Norma is just such a bitch to Norman that you want to punch her in the throat.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:40 am 

Season two of American Horror Story is pretty interesting.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:07 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdSalyTmPWo

This is the meaning of life.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:06 pm 

Has "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" been mentioned yet? One of my friends introduced me to that show a couple months ago and now I can't stop watching it. It's actually quite "realistic" as far as the plots and characters go. I can't stand most other sitcoms mainly because they rely too heavily on stereotypes and cliche situations. Charlie Day (if he's the writer of the show) is definitely a lot more "in touch" with today's culture.

And my sides were hurting by the time I got through the "Charlie Gets Crippled" episode. Fuck.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:28 am 

I'm just wondering why there's still only the first two seasons of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia available in Germany on DVD. I don't really like watching stuff on the PC, so I'm hoping something new will come out soon enough. I'm kind of surprised about the high rating on IMDB though, it's funny stuff, but not exactly high-quality television.

I'm not really up to date with most shows, but this is what I watched recently:

Damages Season 2: I thought it had about the same quality as the first season, even though I still felt that with one or two episodes less it would have worked better,

Dexter Season 3: The worst of the four seasons I watched yet, but still good enough for me to be satisfied with what I got. Miguel Prado is a better "antagonist" than Lila in the season before, however, there's nothing as intriguing as the Doakes story this time.

Still watching Mad Men Season 4, which contains some great episodes like "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword" or "The Suitcase"... the difficulties of the new company and the divorce of Don and Betty really gave this show a fresh restart again.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I found Harsh Realm was bad, after the first 4 episodes it veered off into filler episodes that had nothing to do with finding an exit. The premise was very thin to last more than one season. Millenium on the other hand is one of my favourite tv shows, extremely solid apart from a couple of light-heated comedy episodes and a christmas 'miracle' episode. It's like the better episodes of X-files, such as Tombs and Paper Hearts, but instead of aliens it's focused on serial killers with an undercurrent of conspiracy.

While I vehemently disagree with you that Harsh Realm was bad (although you're definitely not in the minority there), I respect your opinion enough to give Millennium a thorough shot. I picked up the complete series box set today and over the next few weeks I'll be working slowly through the show. Expect a slew of mind-numblingly pretentious reviews in the near future :P .

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:43 am 

CoF wrote:
Dexter Season 3: The worst of the four seasons I watched yet

:scratch:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:24 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
CoF wrote:
Dexter Season 3: The worst of the four seasons I watched yet

:scratch:

I should have mentioned, that I watched it AGAIN, after having seen it on TV before already, just like seasons 1, 2 and 4.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:11 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The Bates Motel pilot was even better than I expected. The sets look great, the characters interesting and immediately well established, the acting is spot on (from the beautiful Vera Farmiga, and Freddie Highmore). Tone wise, it's already very dark, with the parts following Norman and school being slightly lighter. It will be fun to see if they live up to the potential of this pilot.

Wow, I was severely underwhelmed. A triumph of production values, sure, and the acting was way better than the typical television fare, but the dialog was average at its absolute best and cringe-worthy most times. The exchange between Highmore and Farmiga on the canoe at the end of the episode actually made me queasy.

I'll definitely not give up on the series for at least another three or four episodes but as of right now... well, severely underwhelmed.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:44 pm 

Of course you are :)

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:32 am 

darkeningday wrote:
While I vehemently disagree with you that Harsh Realm was bad (although you're definitely not in the minority there), I respect your opinion enough to give Millennium a thorough shot. I picked up the complete series box set today and over the next few weeks I'll be working slowly through the show.

While I don't imagine you'll enjoy it as much as I did, I think you'll appreciate it on some level. I think getting through the series slowly is a good move, I personally don't like watching shows in one sitting unless it's a two-parter of some sort, I think it can diminish the excitement and discovery.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 182  Next