* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:26 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
I did Impossible with Sentinel. 20x better class.

Me too, but I think Infiltrator was a lot better. Sentinels have good defense but crap offense, at least until you get that extra weapon from the Collector's ship. Infiltrators don't have as much defense, but their cloak is fantastic both for setting up sniper rifle headshots and for running away if shit gets too hot. If the enemies can't see you, they can't shoot you. I have to say though, I REALLY loved how the Sentinel's TRON shields looked. Just a really cool and fairly original idea.

I dunno about that.
Sentinels might have a weak early game, but late game they're just the ultimate class. Also, I feel that, if you're gonna go with sniping, the Soldier class is better than the Infiltrator. Slowing down time is just plain great, as well as having access to all other weapons.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:13 pm 

I'm going through Mass Effect 3 right now with my Engineer that I've dragged through 1 and 2. And, as I'm going for the full story idea, I'm going to try and download all the story DLC at appropriate intervals. I've already got From Ashes, and Javik is a pretty interesting character. Now I just wonder when I should get Leviathan.

Meanwhile, I've stepped back up to multiplayer where my Vorcha are kicking ass. Still my favorite race in multiplayer.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:49 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I'm going through Mass Effect 3 right now with my Engineer that I've dragged through 1 and 2. And, as I'm going for the full story idea, I'm going to try and download all the story DLC at appropriate intervals. I've already got From Ashes, and Javik is a pretty interesting character. Now I just wonder when I should get Leviathan.

Meanwhile, I've stepped back up to multiplayer where my Vorcha are kicking ass. Still my favorite race in multiplayer.

Vorcha is easily my favorite outside the Geth.
Leviathan is actually good fun. I'd recommend it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:56 pm 

How about Omega or Citadel? The thing about these guys is that they charge too much for DLC like this, especially a year after release.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
I

Vorcha is easily my favorite outside the Geth.

The only Geth character I've played is the Juggernaut. And seeing as he's got no hunter mode, moves slow as asscheeks, can't take cover, is fuckhuge, and has a deployable shield and powerful siege pulse power, I'm guessing he isn't at all a good representation of the race.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
How about Omega or Citadel? The thing about these guys is that they charge too much for DLC like this, especially a year after release.

...The Citadel DLC is out?
@WilyTank
I've never played the Juggernaut, but the Geth Infiltrator is pretty awesome, and the Engineer is excellent for support with a properly upgraded Turret.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:41 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

...The Citadel DLC is out?

Was released March 5th. Yeah. I've been lurking on the Bioware forums lately and I've read both good and bad. Again, I'd check it out myself if Bioware wasn't such fucks about Bioware points being too expensive.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:17 am 

I never even got around to any of ME2's DLC, ME3 will probably be the same case for me. Even if I dig the series, oh well...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:14 am 

Just finished: Two Worlds

There is one major issue with this game which is there aren't enough quests. Basically you've got this HUUUUGE open world but nothing to give you a reason to explore most of it. If you just travel into the blue you'll find a lot of different generic enemies, the slaughtering of you'll start to find tedious and boring halfway into the game, also generic dungeons with even more generic enemies and completely random loot. There is no good reason at all to explore the vast landscapes. Quest givers are concentrated in cities and other settlements all of which you'll have discovered in no time. It's also pretty hard to care about anything that happens. Quest choices are binary, scarce and normally have next to no influence on anything.

Then there's the protagonist's voice acting being borderline retarded.

Other than that a very well executed RPG though. If you like Diablo you might enjoy this very Diablo-like take on action RPGs.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:06 pm 

I can vouch for ME3 Leviathan, it really should have been in the game, same as From Ashes. The others, I haven't bought and I'm guessing I probably never will.

I'm really happy with Super Mario 3D Land. This game is incredibly fun, it's everything that a portable title should be.

Kerber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:44 pm 

I've just finished Citadel, the only thing i can say is:all of my feels ;_;

But seriously though, its great its fan-service of the highest order, its the perfect happy ending we can't get, and it's worth every dollar, bioware and microsoft point.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:31 pm 

Kerber wrote:

But seriously though, its great its fan-service of the highest order, its the perfect happy ending we can't get, and it's worth every dollar, bioware and microsoft point.

I present to you (and the only reason why I'm back on a ME kick).

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 14795358/1

Kerber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:35 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Kerber wrote:

I present to you (and the only reason why I'm back on a ME kick).

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 14795358/1

Yeah I watched the ending of that mod, it's not that good.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:39 pm 

Meh, to me it's much better than Starchild. Granted, it needs A LOT of work. I'll be the first to say that it's woefully unfinished. Still, I'll take sitting through pasted cutscenes and the like to give the feeling of one absolute ending. Fuck the Starchild.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:19 am 

I played the second one as a Vanguard, and the third as a Sentinel. Sentinel was definitely better, but both were fun. Vanguard has that charge attack which is really badass and fun to pull off but fuck if it wasn't the only thing that got me killed. Kind of a stupid ability. The balance of Sentinel was just a joy. I'd like to try some other classes some day (except Soldier, yawn.) but the games are so frigging long that it'll probably be a while.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am 

The Starchild is seriously the stupidest explanation ever. Completely ruins the origin of the Reapers. Really Bioware? Does anyone think a magic little boy makes for a cool and intimidating puppetmaster behind the greatest evil the galaxy has ever faced???

The_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:27 am 

am I the only one waiting for Injustice: Gods Among Us? I love both the DC Universe and the Mortal Kombat series, so this is awesome.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:53 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The Starchild is seriously the stupidest explanation ever. Completely ruins the origin of the Reapers. Really Bioware? Does anyone think a magic little boy makes for a cool and intimidating puppetmaster behind the greatest evil the galaxy has ever faced???

No it isn't. You heard Harbinger. You cannot comprehend.
Spoiler: show
organics suck so much that they need machines to kill them every so often. A cycle like this makes perfect sense.

Ugh, horseshit writing.

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:45 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Just finished: Two Worlds

There is one major issue with this game which is there aren't enough quests. Basically you've got this HUUUUGE open world but nothing to give you a reason to explore most of it. If you just travel into the blue you'll find a lot of different generic enemies, the slaughtering of you'll start to find tedious and boring halfway into the game, also generic dungeons with even more generic enemies and completely random loot. There is no good reason at all to explore the vast landscapes. Quest givers are concentrated in cities and other settlements all of which you'll have discovered in no time. It's also pretty hard to care about anything that happens. Quest choices are binary, scarce and normally have next to no influence on anything.

Then there's the protagonist's voice acting being borderline retarded.

Other than that a very well executed RPG though. If you like Diablo you might enjoy this very Diablo-like take on action RPGs.

Um what, you just explained why the game is a broken pitiful mess of an Rpg and then say it was well executed. I think it may be the worst Rpg I have played period

Anyway I am really addicted to PoE and still haven beaten the game because i keep making new builds, im taking advantage of the reworked duelist tree and trying a glass cannon build.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 am 

So I snagged Eternal Sonata today. I only made it to the 2nd save point. I just wanted to see if it was worth keeping or if I should return it.

The art style is impressive. It's an old PS3 game and predates trophies but you couldn't tell by its graphics. It's not quite up to Ni No Kuni's level, but you also can't tell it's years older than Ni No Kuni.

Gameplay is fine for me. It's apparently a button masher turn based JRPG. You have this little gauge that depletes when you move or attack. It won't deplete if you just stand there on the battlefield and do nothing. When you attack you don't just pick attack once and the character attacks. You just mash the attack button till your gauge goes away. When the enemy attacks you you block on prompts to reduce damage. So like a button masher, that would be akin to using the dodge maneuver anytime someone attacks.

It seems to be quite linear and story based. I don't think there's gonna be much exploring. The first village is quite small.

The opening cutscene was a bit long so I'm gonna expect this game will be cutscene heavy.

This seems the sort of JRPG you wanna just sit down and play if you wanna be in some tranquil or happy mood and put your brain on cruise control.

I'll probably come back to this when I finish up Ni No Kuni, but I just wanted to lay out some first impressions of this game for anyone interested in modern JRPGs. My instinct says Ni No Kuni is the superior game with so much more of what made JRPGs good, but Eternal Sonata doesn't look like it'll suck.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:33 am 

Silent Hill Downpour is a budget game, right? I bought a brand new copy last week for twenty bucks. Anyhow, I've played a little under 20% through. The quality of the level design is very uneven. Some of it so far looks like complete ass while other parts look fantastic but being the character movement runs on the Unreal Engine with a 360 camera, the player gets too much visibility and much tension is lost compared to the other games where there were semi-fixed views to move for limited view and a sense of dread. Whoever designed some these enemies should be fucking fired. They completely kill whatever atmosphere and terror there is to be found in this exploratory sandbox iteration. Those screamers look like they were swiped from the zombies in Undead Nightmare and those shirtless humanoids look like something from Nightmare Creatures 2. I can't shake how utterly lame these monsters are. I was walking around some corner of a house with the all the rain, fog and lightning going on when one of those fuckers tried popping out from behind me..nothing. They're annoying and completely detract and undermine whatever atmosphere there is. As painfully average as Homecoming was, at least the developers there put at least some attempt into the enemies. Oh yeah, it didn't long to notice all the lag and framerate issues on this game either. I guess they never heard of game testers.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:30 am 

GrtUnclean wrote:
Um what, you just explained why the game is a broken pitiful mess of an Rpg and then say it was well executed. I think it may be the worst Rpg I have played period

Well, it's still playable. I wouldn't say it's a total waste of time. You just shouldn't buy it for things like story or actual role playing. That's why I mentioned Diablo.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 am 

Eternal Sonata was alright from the bit I played, though the story didn't do much for me so I never finished it.

On the other hand I finally decided to hit up Lost Odyssey again, restarted the game and I'm all the way up to the 4th disc now. Determined to finally beat this one since I've owned it for years now haha. It's pretty solid, definitely feels like the lost PSX era Final Fantasy or something. A lot more challenging than the FF's though.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Silent Hill Downpour is a budget game, right? I bought a brand new copy last week for twenty bucks. Anyhow, I've played a little under 20% through. The quality of the level design is very uneven. Some of it so far looks like complete ass while other parts look fantastic but being the character movement runs on the Unreal Engine with a 360 camera, the player gets too much visibility and much tension is lost compared to the other games where there were semi-fixed views to move for limited view and a sense of dread. Whoever designed some these enemies should be fucking fired. They completely kill whatever atmosphere and terror there is to be found in this exploratory sandbox iteration. Those screamers look like they were swiped from the zombies in Undead Nightmare and those shirtless humanoids look like something from Nightmare Creatures 2. I can't shake how utterly lame these monsters are. I was walking around some corner of a house with the all the rain, fog and lightning going on when one of those fuckers tried popping out from behind me..nothing. They're annoying and completely detract and undermine whatever atmosphere there is. As painfully average as Homecoming was, at least the developers there put at least some attempt into the enemies. Oh yeah, it didn't long to notice all the lag and framerate issues on this game either. I guess they never heard of game testers.

I bought my new copy like 5 months ago for $10. It's a very underwhelming game, arguably worse than Homecoming. While Downpour kinda (KINDA) has a better story, Homecoming at least had the coolest bosses in a Silent Hill game since Pyramid Head, so yeah, not really much going on there.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:01 pm 

Even with the rather underwhelming enemies, I enjoyed the hell out of Downpour. Great story, great atmosphere, the otherworld sequences are amazing, some of the 'side-quests' are creepy as fuck. Really thought it was worth the while. As a huge Silent Hill fan, I can arguably say its the best game since Silent Hill 3. Homecoming was a weak derivative of the second game. Although the atmosphere was nailed, everything else was ripped straight from the second game or (if you look at the aesthetics) the first movie.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 pm 

Downpour did some things right and some things very, very wrong, the basic enemy design being the most obvious. Still, the final boss is actually really freakin' cool. The combat and item system in Downpour also sucks, especially when you go to the prison. They did a pretty good job with the overall story though, which is more than I can say for Homecoming. There are of course multiple endings, but the best ones are actually pretty darn good, unlike the fucking dogshit catpuke horsepiss endings of Homecoming. What Downpour did really well though is the sidequests and the exploration. Some of those sidequests (like the Turn Back Time one) were really creepy and well-designed. Unfortunately, the reward for most of them was just pitiful, other than the fun of the process itself. You'd do some really involved sidequest and be rewarded with, like, 3 medkits, or at best a unique weapon that would still eventually break just like all the others. It could have been a great game, but some stupid details that to me seem like results of either a low budget or a strict deadline definitely deflate its status. However, it's not fundamentally broken, like Homecoming. The entire premise of Homecoming was stupid right from the beginning, despite great creature designs and excellent graphics in general.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 pm 

Oh, right I forgot about the side quests in Downpour, some of those were really cool, but I wanted Downpour to be really, really good and it just wasn't. I guess high expectations killed it for me.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 pm 

That's basically been my reaction since Silent Hill 2, though 3 was just a small letdown. 4 had terrible gameplay, a stupid item system, recycled levels, WAY TOO MUCH FUCKING ESCORTING, but had a fantastic story, great graphics, some very very cool levels (though they made you play through them twice) and the Room itself, which was awesomely creepy. Origin was basically good, but it suffered from a fairly standard story and a Pyramid Head wannabe. Nothing terribly wrong with it, but nothing really that excellent about it either. After that one the games were either hugely flawed or basically not Silent Hill at all (Shattered Memories).

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 am 

Yeah marktheviktor, Downpour was pretty shit. For all the reasons that were outlined. It's been downhill since 4. I wouldn't say 3 was a letdown, failsafeman. It's the creepiest game in the series. I think 2 has a better story but it's atmosphere is more one of depression and almost otherworldly despair than it is of horror. I loved the enemies in 4 and the soundtrack was the shit. But yeah, it had some weird ass moments and the item system was incredibly frustrating. I thought the ghosts were a really cool addition.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 am 

Silent Hill 3 was pretty darn weak in the story department, and they were running low on monster designs too. Their ethos for that game was basically "give everything a Jacob's Ladder jiggly head." There definitely were some scary parts, like the infamous mirror sequence, but the puzzles were nonexistent, the game was very linear, and there was essentially only one real ending, which wasn't even very good. It wasn't a bad game at all, but it wasn't an excellent, top-notch game like Silent Hill 2 either.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:03 am 

I thought the monsters were really cool, except those lame dog things. And some of the story moments like Claudia eating the fetus were pretty sweet. I liked Douglas as a character a lot too.

Tempered_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:49 am 

Is anyone excited for the Playstation 4? I feel like the proposed idea is a vast improvement over the PS3. Sony is finally bringing a console up to PC standards. Although this may not last long due to how fast PC tech improves it's still refreshing to see a console maker hop up to that bar. Plus the launch titles look really immersive and interesting.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:44 am 

Tempered_Steel wrote:
Is anyone excited for the Playstation 4? I feel like the proposed idea is a vast improvement over the PS3. Sony is finally bringing a console up to PC standards. Although this may not last long due to how fast PC tech improves it's still refreshing to see a console maker hop up to that bar. Plus the launch titles look really immersive and interesting.

I just bought a ps3 slim, since my older one got the YLOD and I play way more pc games now, so I wont be getting a ps4 for years, if I do. I think the only games I'll care about are exclusives.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:28 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I thought the monsters were really cool, except those lame dog things. And some of the story moments like Claudia eating the fetus were pretty sweet. I liked Douglas as a character a lot too.

I'm talking about the overall plot. It was terribly basic as far as Silent Hill plots go. I mean the first one was complex as shit, and very difficult to properly figure out on your first playthrough, and the second offered a lot of mysteries that aren't really meant to be solved (for example, if you go back to the very first place you kill an enemy later, you find police tape blocking off the area). Silent Hill 3 didn't have anything particularly wrong with it, like I said, but it was just pretty darn basic. There weren't nearly as many layers.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:36 pm 

I just peeked at this thread and saw the words, out of context, "moments like Claudia eating the fetus were pretty sweet". :lol: :puke:

Here's a PSA for PSP/Vita/PS3 owners: Wild ARMs is totally free to download for PSP/Vita at the moment. It can also be redownloaded (via your PSN account's download history, maybe by USB transfer too but I don't know how) on your PS3 if you prefer to play it on a TV. For some reason, the PS3's store won't even let you download it, but if you have a portable, it's worth the download. One of the best PS1 games, a really cool old-school jRPG with some Zelda (LttP)-like puzzles and awesome Morricone-style music. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:02 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

No it isn't. You heard Harbinger. You cannot comprehend.
Spoiler: show
organics suck so much that they need machines to kill them every so often. A cycle like this makes perfect sense.

Ugh, horseshit writing.

Leviathan definitely helps rectify that...

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:59 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Silent Hill 3 was pretty darn weak in the story department, and they were running low on monster designs too. Their ethos for that game was basically "give everything a Jacob's Ladder jiggly head." There definitely were some scary parts, like the infamous mirror sequence, but the puzzles were nonexistent, the game was very linear, and there was essentially only one real ending, which wasn't even very good. It wasn't a bad game at all, but it wasn't an excellent, top-notch game like Silent Hill 2 either.

The Shakespeare puzzle on 'Extra' level disagrees with you :p

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:33 pm 

That was pretty much the only one, and it was easy. Compare that to Silent Hill 1 & 2, that had puzzles all the time. Even Silent Hill 4 had the circle prison, which was basically one big puzzle itself.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:10 pm 

Wait. You actually figured out the "keypad face" in the hospital? The Shakespeare one could be easily figured out by those with knowledge of his work, but the other one asked the player to think way out of the box.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm 

The Shakespeare puzzle in SH3 on hard mode can go fuck itself. :mad: No way of knowing the solution without being familiar with his work, grrr...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484 ... 940  Next