Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:36 pm 

i'm not sure a thread exists for this, but as someone still looking for ideas to get the perfect rig and with a lot of interest in how to get specific tones, i figured it would be beneficial to share information about what bands seem to be playing on, preferably amps, pedal boards, etc.

To share my own knowledge the guys from Enslaved use Peavey heads/cabs (one was running through a 6505+ and the other in the father model 5150) and the one running the 5150 had a setup that looked like TU-2 or 3, Ibanez TS9, Boss Super Octave, an orange MXR styled pedal (not familiar off hand with their pedals to recognize it), and the green line 6 big pedal ( four buttons) i'm also not very familiar with.

The guitar player from heavy metal band attacker ran a mesa boogie dual rectifier head/cab. Pedals were TU-3, Boss Super Overdrive, HR-2 Harmonist, CE super chorus, noise supressor, orange MXR pedal, green line 6 pedal, wah, and another pedal i didn't recognize at all.

Disclose used the Boss Xtortion pedal, Boss equalizer, wah, and BF-2 flanger. On that note most "noise not music", noise punk, crasher crust, and raw d-beat uses the equalizer, a wah, and BF-2, with the distortion pedals usually being the above mentioned, Metal Zone, or in the case with D-clone a hyper fuzz.

Zyanose uses a similar set up but add an LS-2 as well.

For other (more vague):
Sunn O))) uses the Sunn model 100S if i remember correctly, but i wouldn't be surprised if they've used most sunn variants.
Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard both use Orange amplifiers. I know Electric Wizard is pretty famous for using the boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz pedal
Kurt Cobain apparently made famous the DS-2 boss pedal
Wolves in the Throne Room uses only vintage amps and analog pedals (but really, what band playing that sort of music doesn't?)
Entombed and the swedish death metal bands in general made popular the HM-2 Heavy Metal distortion pedals.
Robert Smith from the Cure is a very huge fan of Fender jazz amps i believe it was, and has more or less used most boss pedals produced at some point.

Anyone with links to bands discussing gear info also feel free to post them

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:12 pm 

Might want to check this as well.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 pm 

mentalselfmutilation wrote:
i'm not sure a thread exists for this, but as someone still looking for ideas to get the perfect rig and with a lot of interest in how to get specific tones, i figured it would be beneficial to share information about what bands seem to be playing on, preferably amps, pedal boards, etc.

Plenty of threads have covered different artists' setups, pretty hard to keep track of all of them for a few reasons:
-Artists change up their setups a lot, they'll vary from tour-to-tour, the more pedals in there, the more they tinker with their setups.
-Artists don't always have their own gear, most overseas tours and festivals involve shared/rented gear. Electric Wizard played through Marshall amps/cabs at MDF, most bands generally don't have a large selection when they're in smaller markets - i.e. Australia, Japan. Even medium-scale bands in Europe often have to stick with either Marshall, Peavey, or Vox basics since that's what can be rented easily.
-Studio and live are completely different, many studios and producers have a selection of amps, a few others may be brought in, and multiple amps are blended for the album tone. I've heard of musicians agreeing to not use their own guitars when a producer tells them that he can get the right sound with a certain guitar, and it did work well from what I heard.

You can find most information about what artists use by searching. I can't list all of what I know, have heard, and can approximate, but if anyone does have any questions about a certain sound on this forum I'll always try to answer it.

Reply to topic