Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoctorDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:25 pm 

I suggest omitting certain reviews when calculating the average for an album. Some contrarian gives an album a score of 5% and now the overall score for that album is now unfairly skewed. As a result we do not have a score that is a true reflection of the quality of the album.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 pm 

Reviews, as with any individual opinions, are entirely subjective and dependent on the tastes (or lack thereof) of the reviewers. Deleting negative reviews would be unfair and bias.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:57 pm 

He didn't say reviews should be deleted, but only that they shouldn't be counted in the average. Eliminating the highest and lowest scores (or in cases with many reviews, even more) is a perfectly acceptable method for making averages LESS biased.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:27 pm 

The idea of an average is to base it around all present reviews; if they were based on certain hand-picked ones, then it wouldn't be a real average--the average being dependent on the opinions of different reviewers, and would be unfair. It's not like a single reviewer is reviewing the same album numerous times just to rig the average (and in those cases [sock puppets], they are eventually taken care of). People can subjectively give an album whatever score they want, and the average will reflect that. If an album's average seems "incorrect", users are more than welcome to do their own review of it or request one from another user. In the case of the latter, the score could very well end up further to one's dismay. And would it be right to omit their review from the average? No. But, of course, this decision is not mine whatsoever to decide.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:31 pm 

I believe in statistical terms it would actually be more representative to exclude or somehow downgrade extreme aberrations (feel free to correct me). Something like this has been asked at least once before and I remember Morrigan conceding the point, but there are no plans to change the score averaging system.

Reply to topic