Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 am 

Is anyone else a fan? I got introduced to country, funnily enough, by the K-Rose radio station on GTA:San Andreas. I love the sound of a steel guitar at night or on a drive, and I love how bittersweet those happy melodies can get with the sad lyrics behind them. And of course I absolutely adore Hank Williams III and every single song about drinking, druggin, and havin lotsa fun!

So, anyone else? Not the fucking shitty excuse for country that modern country stations play nowadays of course.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:30 am 

My Mom is from the Midwest, so I grew up on country & gospel. I don't regularly listen to country, and I have a very specific taste, but I can never quite put my finger on what the difference is. I do appreciate country music's sense of fun & humor, though - or, some of it anyway.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm 

I love country! Johnny Cash and Townes Van Zandt are my favorites, but I also like a good deal of Hank Williams Sr. and Hank Williams III!

What I hate, as you mentioned yourself, is the "shitty excuse" for country, that plague the mainstream these days, country is practically dead, only Hank III is kinda keeping it alive.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:33 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I love country! Johnny Cash and Townes Van Zandt are my favorites, but I also like a good deal of Hank Williams Sr. and Hank Williams III!

What I hate, as you mentioned yourself, is the "shitty excuse" for country, that plague the mainstream these days, country is practically dead, only Hank III is kinda keeping it alive.

The first three you mentioned are absolutely my favourite country artists. I've been listening to a lot of Townes Van Zandt. Still need to check out Hank III. As for the mainstream country thing, one of my friends is really into the whole redneck thing and plays a lot of that. While it's not my favourite or anything, it's miles above the electronic dance/club rap stuff that is dominating the mainstream nowadays. I do admit to liking some of Brantley Gilbert's heavier songs.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:33 pm 

I have to admit I haven't heard a lot of the stuff that people refer to as country nowadays.. but when I hear people calling Taylor Swift's music country, I can't control myself, haha.

Anyway, Townes Van Zandt is incredible and I recommend him to everyone who likes country!

Last.fm

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:10 pm 

Hank I and III, Johnny Cash and the New Riders of the Purple Sage are the only country artists I can honestly say I enjoy.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:21 pm 

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also like Those Poor Bastards a lot, though they're not pure country, but have quite a few country elements. Any other fans?

Last.fm

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm 

I like Those Poor Bastards, but I don't consider them country. I guess they could be, though. The Plague is a great album. Kinda punky.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:52 pm 

I'm a firm believer that there is at least one good band/musician per genre, no matter how terrible that genre may be. Country music is a perfect example of this. I haven't delved deep enough to find a good artist besides the obvious Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson, but I'm sure there are a few other exceptions as well.

I think the culture turns me off more than the music itself does, however. So many people I know go to big country shows just to show off their mud covered trucks and get wasted in the parking lot (most of the time not even to see the show), and I personally think that's lame as fuck. To each their own though.

ShadowKamelot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:30 pm 

I've actually been getting into Country more lately! Of course, legitimate country and old-time music. I've always enjoyed Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. What Townes Van Zandt albums would you guys suggest giving a listen?

Also, one old-time/country band I've been a fan of for a long time, The Devil Makes Three. They delve into Bluegrass at some points, and are really just an all-around great band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=talqltbOsNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMsMDCUMwI

Similar to TDM3 is William Elliot Whitmore. Again, more old-time/Bluegrass than country, but I feel he is worth mentioning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rU8tq94bvI

SO FUCKING GOOD.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 am 

I get violent, barely controllable urges to murder people with an icepick when I hear them say Taylor Swift is country. Even more than when I hear people say Bullet For My Valentine is metal.

I live all the way in the far east of the world, have never ever seen a country music act live, ever :(

Also check out Loretta Lyn for some wistful tunes of the good ol' days and how they ain't coming back. George Strait is an obvious mention. I like the Statler Brothers a lot too, those songs can make the most hardened satanic black metal warrior shed a tear or two.

I love how Hank III is as old as he is but keeping things alive instead of all the walking pieces of crap on American Idol or The Voice calling themselves country just because they're white and don't sing pop-rock. The man has such attitude!

"Well I don't care if you hate me you see, cuz I'm just a country boy from the State of Tennessee,
Little bit wild on the rowdy side, cuz I like to drink my whiskey and I like to get high!
Well I'm drinkin, druggin, havin lots of fun, I always carry round my loaded shotgun
If I think I'm gonna have a bad time, I got a little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine!"

I get drunk to this more often than I eat.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:43 am 

Johnny Cash and gothic country like Slim Cessna, Mumford and Sons, and Jay Munly's various non-Slim Cessna records I have gotten very much into the last half year or so. My guitarist got me into all the latter material and Johnny Cash I've been a fan of for years. Munly's album about Peter and the Wolf is an absolute masterpiece that deserves way more recognition.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:24 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
I like Those Poor Bastards, but I don't consider them country. I guess they could be, though. The Plague is a great album. Kinda punky.

Definitely not pure country, but country-influenced.

ShadowKamelot wrote:
I've actually been getting into Country more lately! Of course, legitimate country and old-time music. I've always enjoyed Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. What Townes Van Zandt albums would you guys suggest giving a listen?

My favorite Townes album is Our Mother the Mountain, very beautiful and sad album. Delta Momma Blues comes in second followed by the self-titled album. Also, if you're into live albums you HAVE to check out Live at the Old Quarter!

Last.fm

ShadowKamelot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:59 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
My favorite Townes album is Our Mother the Mountain, very beautiful and sad album. Delta Momma Blues comes in second followed by the self-titled album. Also, if you're into live albums you HAVE to check out Live at the Old Quarter!

I'll definitely be checking these albums out! And I've always enjoyed a good live album, so I'll look into that as well! Thanks!

Also, does anyone here like the Zac Brown Band? My dad got me into them, and I have to say, good stuff.,

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:39 pm 

ShadowKamelot wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:

I'll definitely be checking these albums out! And I've always enjoyed a good live album, so I'll look into that as well! Thanks!

Also, does anyone here like the Zac Brown Band? My dad got me into them, and I have to say, good stuff.,

You're welcome! Let me hear what you think once you've had a listen!

Never heard of Zac Brown Band, post some links! In fact, everyone should share their country favorites!

Last.fm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:47 pm 

You'd be surprised how much you like country when you realize the wide arc that country includes.

Classically speaking, if you work from perspectives like Hank Williams Jr., Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings (the greatest), Merl Haggard, Wiie Nelson, things like Bright Eyes, Tom Waits, Stan Staples, Magnetic Fields acoustic work, become more country than folk. There's a distinct Americana in the way the bands conduct themselves, regardless of origins.

Great country comes from this style of songwriting that completely emphasizes lyricism in favor of almost any musicianship, and I think, for the most part, that's the difference between that and folk (that and perhaps the fact that folk either concerns itself with these fantastic ideals/stories/bourgeois ideals or the "plight" of America - whereas country is extremely introspective and based entirely around telling stories about the singer's life). There's a certain sense of loss, of living day to day instead of planning, wandering and wanderlust to country, and this normally accompanies and incredibly brutal honesty and personality.

Suffice to say, I love country - some of America's greatest songwriters.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:48 pm 

I only own the man in blacks 'At Fulsom Prison' which is a classy album. Hate all that crap they play on the radio which is just pop music with the pretty boy / girl looks more important than the tunes.

HumanCollapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 pm 

Shit yeah, love country.

From older artists like Johnny Cash, George Jones, Hank Snow, Waylon, Townes Van Zandt, Haggard. To newer stuff like Dale Watson, .357 String Band (RIP), Scott H. Biram, Whitey Morgan & the 78's, The Ugly Valley Boys, J.B. Beverley, etc... Gotta love it! Good to see some other country fans on here.

Never been a big fan of Hank III though... which I guess is kinda strange since it seems he's one of (if not the only) country artists the metal/rock crowd are into.

On a random note, anyone else been listening to the new Daniel Romano album? I guess it could be considered a little corny by some people (even down to the album cover :D) But damn, for some reason I keep going back to it...

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:57 pm 

Jesse Sykes and Niko case I like if you consider them country. Reckless burning and troubled soul are both amazing.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 pm 

I love old country, specifically Hank Sr. And Johnny Cash. But I Also like bluegrass an things of that nature. But I'm a born and raised Southerner so it's kinda in my blood. Whiskey, weed, and Some deep, good country is the best way to end the day.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 pm 

I've taken some interest in this genre since hearing Johnny Cash cover Nine Inch Nails-Hurt and the fantastic band Across Tundras, and this thread has given me some starting points, so thanks, guys.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:46 pm 

I absolutely despise anything from Bakersfield. Seriously, it's why I don't go to bars here. When it comes to Country I prefer stuff like 16 Horsepower and O'Death.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 pm 

16 Horsepower and Wovenhand is the only country I listen to these days (well, it's more like alternative country/folk/rock...). they're some of my most played artists of the year. Highly highly recommended.

Fav albums: 16HP - Folkore and WH - self titled

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 pm 

I think that as a whole, country music is disposable, and some of the attitudes and ideas espoused by its practitioners and followers are detestable to say the least.

That being said, something DeathcoreDecimator said rings true. I have no shame in admitting I'm a huge fan of the Dixie Chicks. Yes, I know it's not "pure country" or whatever, but fuck it, I find their music to be highly enjoyable. They have lush three part vocal harmonies, fantastic arrangements, and virtuosic performances (when needed). I've seen them live twice and it was a good experience each time.

In particular, I dig the albums Home and Taking The Long Way, the former of which is an acoustic bluegrass record and the latter being a folky pop-rock record. I care a lot less for their first two major label albums, which are standard but somewhat serviceable modern country pop, and their three independently released albums, which are unlistenable 80s country.
Obliteration

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 pm 

I forgot about GRAHAM FUCKING PARSONS.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:53 am 

Joining the earlier TVZ circle jerk. The man makes some of the saddest music ever. Waitin' Around to Die makes grown men weep. His voice and lyrics are pure emotion and he lived a pretty fucked up life. Great man.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:06 am 

wayne hancock is a must if you love great musicianship and country twang!
http://youtu.be/2osl8a_r6_Y

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 am 

That Wayne Hancock guy sounds great, will look more into his music, thanks for mentioning him man!

Last.fm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:03 pm 

Gonna go ahead and second Reckless Burning....that is prolly in my top ten albums of all time.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Bruce500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 pm 

I like some of the older stuff from the 20's-50's, but I haven't heard much modern country that was any good. I'm really into folk music though! I love me some blugrass and celtic music!

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 pm 

I can vouch for Zac Brown band. My GF got me into them. Some very catchy songwriting, and it doesn't sound like the modern, slick "hit machine" music that most country outfits produce these days.

Also, I've seen them live. Very, very good musicianship in that band. They spend a lot of time doing jams, trading licks, etc. They even work in a few nice covers. The guitar player, in particular, is very capable. They also do a dual percussion outfit, with one handling the drum kit and the other specializing in other percussion instruments. It's a very nice production.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:41 pm 

I am genuinely surprised by how many posts are in this section. I am glad to see the disdain for much of the radio/mainstream shit. It is nice to see some of you mention some damn good artists, especially the older ones. I grew up listening to it but left it alone in my teenage days because I wanted to be "cool" and embraced the negative stereotypes which surround it. I picked it back up about 2 years ago because I lived with my brother and he always came home singing it, and whenever we would ride together he would play it.

I usually enjoy the lyrical content, the steel guitar sound, the twang, and the many of the artists seem to be wholesome people. You rarely hear of country artists broadcasting their lives or getting in trouble. The lyrics seem to relate to the working class, rural 'America', and of course there are many love stories(not my topic of choice, neither is the religious stuff) Some of the artists are damn good storytellers as well.

I like seeing some of these lesser known artists too. You can definitely tell this is a metal forum because of the musical search prowess. Some of the artists I enjoy(I tried to stay away from people already mentioned, so these are newer artists):

Eric Strickland and the B-Sides: http://youtu.be/fxJw5KVpqtI and http://youtu.be/i4qoBE3G53g
George Strait: http://youtu.be/cJV0bu0xNEM and http://youtu.be/_KrrsLZaY9s and http://youtu.be/-KLVwRrCR3g (He has many good songs)
Tracy Lawrence: http://youtu.be/8nPueja2adA and http://youtu.be/fLNMrcZtKbA (Just saw him live, he has many good songs as well)
Shooter Jennings: http://youtu.be/Ynminz4owZU
The Good Luck Thrift Store Outfit: http://youtu.be/okFL33to3w8 and http://youtu.be/A-J4DPkY9Dc
Billy Don Burns: http://youtu.be/UD5ZZRWX23s
Don Williams: http://youtu.be/APyk8B2IMJI and http://youtu.be/l1k-Xa9ch5c
Marty Stuart: http://youtu.be/rPz3pEfRgQc
Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit: http://youtu.be/lCMsUQmS0Bo

Some of the "poppy" modern stuff isn`t terrible. Gary Allan has a smooth voice[ http://youtu.be/lYdXesvlGyU ] and some one-off artists produce quality stuff; like Dustin Lynch [ http://youtu.be/1F1GrYeIMco ].

There are so many other bands but I won`t take up any more space with recs. I do like many of the artists already mentioned. I especially like many of the older artists, like George Jones, David Allan Coe, Keith Whitley, Waylon Jennings, Hank I and II(and III), etc. I too like the Zac Brown Band. They are quite good live and I love their focus on instrumental pieces. I saw them live last year at Country Jam. I particularly like Goodbye in Her Eyes http://youtu.be/p5Rlgu4L9J4 . They are playing 3 shows in my state and they are all sold out. Many people enjoy them where I live because of Zac Brown`s affinity for the state.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:00 pm 

I find that the vocals in country music is really what makes me like it or hate it. I don't really like those deep vocals like Tracy Lawrence, and I'm not sure why since I don't have a general problem with deep vocals.

Btw. have to mention Faron Young: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-D1g_m2ryU

Last.fm

HumanCollapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:53 pm 

You should check out the the last album I was talking about in my post. Daniel Romano - Come Cry With Me. Reminds alot of people, including myself of Gram at times. Take a look!

Hastein45, great artists you listed there, dig your taste man! Especially like Eric Strickland.

Anyone listen to Joseph Huber? (not necessarily "country") I think a lot of people on here would really enjoy his stuff.
Few songs -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiNnN_KtohI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pco2AvvVQv4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR3177bs2qo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aat1ydhiY6U

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:44 pm 

HumanCollapse wrote:

You should check out the the last album I was talking about in my post. Daniel Romano - Come Cry With Me. Reminds alot of people, including myself of Gram at times. Take a look!

Hastein45, great artists you listed there, dig your taste man! Especially like Eric Strickland.

Anyone listen to Joseph Huber? (not necessarily "country") I think a lot of people on here would really enjoy his stuff.
Few songs -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiNnN_KtohI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pco2AvvVQv4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR3177bs2qo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aat1ydhiY6U

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment. Eric Strickland and the B-Sides only have one album(my favorite country album of 2012) but they are releasing another one in May, which I am really looking forward to. They play pre-75` country music, the good stuff. Lol. I checked out Joseph Huber and I liked it. Good recommendation. I also want to throw one more recommendation out there because no one has posted a link to any of George Jones` music. Here is a classic in Ol` Red: http://youtu.be/IxRRsYipeGM

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:41 pm 

Any other fans of Reverend Glasseye? I think 16 Horsepower/Wovenhand fans in particular will appreciate him, but any fan of alt-country will definitely like it. I haven't known about him too long but I'm already a fan, he has the complete package; music, atmosphere, lyrics, voice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ALRdsTIh6E

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:07 am 

I'm mostly a fan of outlaw country, like Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, George Jones, David Allen Coe, Hank 3 (especially)...I don't care much for the polished and clean "country" that is out there today...I like songs about drugs, guns, drinking, and getting arrested haha

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:59 am 

The Builders and the Butchers just finished mixing their new album. I'm hoping for something of the same quality as Salvation is a Deep Dark Well, although Dead Reckoning was good in its own right.

I haven't gotten into 16 Horsepower yet, but I love Woven Hand, although I've never really thought of them as country.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:06 pm 

Yep props for Townes Van Zandt here too.

Bought a 6 album box set and it's amazing. I'd put him up there with 70's era Neil Young, and 60's Dylan. Fucked up genius.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:14 pm 

Does alt-country count? To say that I love Josh Tillman's Father John Misty project would be an understatement, and Fear Fun is probably my album of 2012. Capable of writing some amazing lyrics, too.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next