Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:17 pm 

That's actually a completely stupid idea. Consider Darkthrone or Celtic Frost or Bathory. They would need four different names by now. How about growing up and accepting the fact that they can write whatever kinda of music they want to?

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:05 am 

I'm listening to Wake Up And Smell the Carcass right now.

I like all Carcass, and LOVE all of it other than Swansong which is ok, not horrible, but ok IMO.

I am guessing a new album will be good, because IMO they have always been good.

They have changed styles, but not once did they ever sell out (just listened to "I Told You so (Corporate Rock Really Does Suck)" and it made me think they predicted that sooner or later people would think they sold out.

Lyrics: "Yeah you've really done it now!! sold out!! but who, but when where and how? Yeah You've really done it now, Sold out! You've taken my trust your corporate rock really sucks!"

The lyrics spell it out IMO.

Carcass has always been ahead of the times.

One of the first grind bands, one of the first grind-death bands, one of the first melodeath bands, then they experimented with death n'roll and broke up and people want to shit on them?!

Cool if you don't like melodeath as a whole and that's why you disliked Heartwork, but they never sold out, and I don't believe they ever will.

I look forward to the new album and I'll try harder to like it than to find reasons to criticize it, just as I do with everything.

Last edited by Ill-Starred Son on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

Deleted

Last edited by Ill-Starred Son on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

Deleted

Last edited by Ill-Starred Son on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

Deleted...Fucking stupid internet connection had me post this 4 times

Asmodeus8797
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:50 am 

Haven't really kept up with anything Carcass have done since Necroticism, but might check it out.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 am 

inhumanist wrote:
If a band does that and stops playing old songs live as a result, I don't want it.

People here should think hard about what it is to be a musician.

When you're 36, do you want to be playing the same songs you wrote at age 18?

You don't. You want to keep growing. If you don't keep growing, you'll end up being one of those burnouts who plays lite jazz for TV commercials.

The best way to do this is to break free and do something different. Let the old songs play themselves off the CD, or for reunion shows with the old band.

Many metal musicians have gone on to make great art in other areas, or in different forms of metal, without being forced to hate their old material because it's what everyone expects them to do.

We the fans don't own them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GsNHoiEgE4

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:02 pm 

Conservationism wrote:
We the fans don't own them.

Conservationism wrote:
AuditaTremendi wrote:
If you change your style so drastically, please change your bandname as well.

I think this is always good advice. That way, you don't burn your existing fans and mislead those who like your new material into thinking your older material is for them also.

:scratch: I'm not saying you are contradicting yourself there, but you are certainly not making it easy to figure out what the hell your point is.

Conservationism wrote:
You don't. You want to keep growing. If you don't keep growing, you'll end up being one of those burnouts who plays lite jazz for TV commercials.

Yeah, bands who don't disregard their own back catalogue when playing live often do that, like Iron Maiden or Incantation or At The Gates or Asphyx or Bolt Thrower... total and complete burnouts.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 pm 

Nah, he's definitely contradicting himself. Also, anyone who thinks a band should change their name when they change their sound should FOAD. Not every band can be like Incantation or Obituary. You evolve as a musician and a songwriter and that's what happens. Like another poster mentioned - you've got Celtic Frost, Bathory, Darkthrone, and then Mayhem, Burzum, Metallica (for better or worse :ugh:), Napalm Death BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. You either like the new direction of any given artist or you don't. New sound should not mean new name. In any given situation they could be maintaining the same members or at least the same ethos as when they started, anyway. That's all the reason you need to keep the name, arguably.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:12 pm 

Boom. Some news from the Carcass stable!

http://www.terrorizer.com/2013/02/27/ca ... errorizer/

The album is called "Surgical Steel" and will be released sometime later this year.

And some of the tentative tracks for the album are:
The Master Butcher’s Apron
The Granulating Dark Satanic Mills
A Congealed Clot Of Blood
A Wraith In The Apparatus
316l Grade Surgical Steel
Cadaver Pouch Conveyor System
Captive Bolt Pistol
Intensive Battery Brooding
None Compliance To Astm F899-12 Standard
Mount Of Execution
1985/Thrasher’s Abattoir
Unfit For Human Consumption
Zochrot
Livestock Marketplace

Consider me more excited for this release now!

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 pm 

Well i wasnt expecting song titles like that, thats for sure.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:19 pm 

Same here. 1985/Thrasher’s Abattoir sticks out to me as having a certain level of that cynicism they've put into some of their previous lyrics. On the whole they do appear interesting, however.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm 

Now THAT is what a Carcass tracklist should look like!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:34 pm 

Those are fucking hilarious song titles. Still, they are undeniably Carcass titles, and the titles are proof that the record is gonna be more like the pre-Heartwork stuff.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:33 pm 

Wow. I'm loving how much it sounds like Nectroticism. I'm also loving how upfront they are about pretty blatantly pandering to what the fans want. Oh and I'm guessing it would be "Non-compliance" rather than "None-compliance".
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm 

These song titles really grab my attention! Maybe there's actually hope for something grind-like.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:41 pm 

Sweet song titles, but relax niggas. They say nothing about the quality of the music.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 pm 

ENKC wrote:
Wow. I'm loving how much it sounds like Nectroticism. I'm also loving how upfront they are about pretty blatantly pandering to what the fans want. Oh and I'm guessing it would be "Non-compliance" rather than "None-compliance".

You're acting as though you've heard music from the record. I love the titles too, but I'm withholding major judgment until I hear a song.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm 

Very Necroticism style song titles. Good sign, considering it's my favorite album by them. Kind of expected, since Amott won't be involved (remember that he, apart from contributing guitar solos, had no involvement in the songwriting in that album).

Ok, it's true that the songtitles by themselves do not say anything about the quality of the music, but at least they give us more hope that the new album won't be anything gay like their last one...sometimes you can tell that an album will be gay by the tracklist alone.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 pm 

As someone who enjoys all 5 Carcass albums, I can't say I'm entirely looking forward to this. Both guys from the original line-up haven't written music like any of the "eras" in quite some time. Bill was in Firebird and Jeff hasn't really done anything in music aside from that solo album and playing live with Brujeria. While a return to the Necroticism sound would be welcome, I just hope it doesn't sound forced.

Necroticism174 wrote:
niggas

Shut up.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 pm 

Well Bill in the article said that he and Jeff just let it come naturally and that they "accidentally" stumbled upon the feeling they got when making the early Carcass albums, so if anything it won't sound forced.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 am 

WaywardSon wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
niggas

Shut up.

:lol:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:57 am 

WaywardSon wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
niggas

Shut up.

:lol:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:34 pm 

14 songs? I wonder how long the album's gonna be? If the tracks are all around 4 minutes, it's gonna be an hour in length. If they're anything like they are on Necroticism, we're talking 90 minutes. With that many songs there's also the chance of filler material. I'd much rather have 8 or 10 good songs on an album, rather than 14 songs including 4 average ones. Why do bands feel the need to fill an entire disc with material, anyway? 40/45 minutes is fine for an album. Over an hour and it really is too long. But that's just me! Certainly intrigued by the song titles. Will definitely check it out. I imagine it sounding like a continuation of Heartwork, to be honest, although I'd certainly prefer a Necroticism sounding album. We'll see shortly, I guess?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 pm 

I hope it's around 30 min in length, all short grindcore numbers with 3 to 6 riffs tops each.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:52 pm 

Some of them could be atmospheric or short intrumental tracks.

I certainly wouldn't mind a full hour of Necroticism Carcass new material, in fact, I'd really look forward to the album if they confirm it to be that way, as long as it's all good of course...yeah 90 minutes would be too much.
But really, we can't tell if all those titles will be full songs, considering their knack for naming their guitar solos too.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:57 pm 

Tornado wrote:
14 songs? I wonder how long the album's gonna be? If the tracks are all around 4 minutes, it's gonna be an hour in length. If they're anything like they are on Necroticism, we're talking 90 minutes. With that many songs there's also the chance of filler material. I'd much rather have 8 or 10 good songs on an album, rather than 14 songs including 4 average ones. Why do bands feel the need to fill an entire disc with material, anyway? 40/45 minutes is fine for an album. Over an hour and it really is too long. But that's just me! Certainly intrigued by the song titles. Will definitely check it out. I imagine it sounding like a continuation of Heartwork, to be honest, although I'd certainly prefer a Necroticism sounding album. We'll see shortly, I guess?

Those are the tentative titles of the songs, not the tracklist. So no one knows if there are going to be 14 tracks or not.

The article that I linked had something about Terrorizer (the magazine) saying that the rough material is "worth the wait". Not sure what that means but I sure hope they have a good ear for early Carcass material to make such a statement.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:27 pm 

shouvince wrote:
The article that I linked had something about Terrorizer (the magazine) saying that the rough material is "worth the wait". Not sure what that means but I sure hope they have a good ear for early Carcass material to make such a statement.

Yeah, but Terrorizer is British, Carcass is British - pick up any random issue of Terrorizer and you'll see they're constantly hyping up any and every Brit band. It's a very British thing to do, assume that you're superior to everyone else.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:16 pm 

Those song titles sound gimmicky.

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:57 am 

waiguoren wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Yeah, but Terrorizer is British, Carcass is British - pick up any random issue of Terrorizer and you'll see they're constantly hyping up any and every Brit band. It's a very British thing to do, assume that you're superior to everyone else.

or we like to support home grown talent?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:34 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Generalizing, much?

Still, I wouldn't trust Terrorizer's opinion, as much as I'd like to. Metal zines are usually everything but honest. I do love the album's name and song titles. They reek of..... Well, Carcass.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:33 pm 

Fucking YES. Reading those song titles and the title of the album gave me chills, I'm not even shitting you. Almost all of those titles sound like Necroticism-era titles and most of them refer to surgical tools/death (and the album title itself obviously), and let's face it, they invoke images of goregrind songs, not really Heartwork/Swansong era music. I have super high hopes for this thing now. I doubt it's going to be grind (I bet they throw in a Symphonies-style song or two) but I have good faith in Jeff Walker and Bill Steer.

Too bad there's still no release date announced, but it looks like they're playing some live shows in March so there's a good chance we'll at least get a sample of a new song or two.

""Non-Compliance To Astm F899-12 Standard" :D

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:11 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
shouvince wrote:

It's something very common in the media in Britain but not exclusive to the media here, the music press in this country constantly hypes bands on the basis of being British. I'd imagine that the music press in most countries like to do this, I'm sure the Norwegian media loves to hype black metal: even if it's not very good. Hence, any band from Norway in the 1990s who wore corpse-paint could sell tens of thousands of copies, simply on the basis of brand recognition.

Since the mid to late 1980s the UK has no longer been the trend setter in metal and this has been difficult to deal with in some quarters of the music press. Thrash from the UK was not up to par with the high standards set by a handful of US, Canada and (mostly German) European countries made the bands coming from Britain look, for the most part, to be followers rather than leaders, and this was probably the first time in the genres existence that Britain was not pulling above its weight in the metal stakes. Don't get me wrong, there have been quite a few great British bands since the 80s, but the UK is no longer the force that it once was. I believe that part of the reason for this is the fickle nature of the music press over here but at the same time magazines like Metal Hammer, Terrorizer and Kerrang! will hype second-tier British bands because they are British.

Anyway, Carcass being British isn't really the issue here: Carcass are Carcass: death metal and grind legends from a time long gone, so of course the music press will want to drum up some attention for their new album. At the end of the day it will help to sell some copies of both the magazine and the album.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 pm 

kalervon wrote:
Those song titles sound gimmicky.

*checks previous Carcass songtitles*

Problem?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:13 pm 

Like Xlxlx mentioned, I think it's a sheer generalization. Sure the British media can be notorious to do so but with regards to Carcass, which media wouldn't want to hype it up? It's Carcass after all, a band with a rich history, which is making a return. It's got nothing to do with the geographic origin of the magazine concerned. Like I said earlier, I sure hope they got a good ear for music to make such a comment.

Kalervon, how are the tentative song titles gimmicky? I think as mentioned in the article, Jeff and the crew are seriously considering bringing back the band's old legacy. The naming is a small step in the right direction. 'Surgical Steel' sounds like a really badass album title and the individual tentative tracks sound interesting as well. Sure they have a hint of humor to them but at the end of the day, these are gore-influenced titles. Definitely not meant to be taken seriously...just like all the titles from Reek to Necroticism.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:17 pm 

Carcass have never taken themselves completely seriously. I do agree that the titles are a little more over the top than usual, but I think they're pretty damn cool.

altered_vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 am 

I want samples, samples or at least the cover. Where are the samples and cover? Cmon, guys throw the dog a carcass... :oh shit:

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:18 pm 

Yeah, I can't wait for a sample or two, or hell, even a full song. Supposedly they're playing concerts in March so hopefully we at least get a crappy Youtube clip of a new song or two by then.

This is either going to be my favorite or most disappointing album of 2013, I can already tell.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:32 am 

Very early Carcass song titles consisted of double entendres and almost-intact latin words, mostly (but not exclusively) from medical terminology (extraction, pyosified, regurgitation, excretor, defecation, masticator, suppuration, incubator, erosion, putrefaction). From "Necroticism" onward, they addressed somewhat more societal or philosophical subjects, while keeping the obscure language and double entendres ("Blood Splattered Banner", "Arbeit Macht Frei", "Blind Bleeding the Blind"). They started to take themselves a bit more seriously, whether you believe it or not, because they wanted to write songs about things that meant something (at least to them), not just for fun or to emulate or mock other bands. More grown-up stuff.

Now what do we have here.. titles with numbers in them or straight up names of standards or tools used in surgery or animal slaughter, and unsophisticated gore-film-like titles ("Butcher's Apron", "Thrasher's Abattoir" which is probably a remake of Brujeria's "Fresh Meat for the Grinder" in some sort). Not a lot of hard work.. "Granulating Dark Satanic Mills" however is probably a social comment on England or on industrial progress (cf. William Blake), so probably more of a "Heartwork" kind-of-thing.

All in all, this is : "let's come up with titles that look like what the fans want". But for some reason it lacks innocence and ingenuity and it doesn't "feel" Carcass either.

But that's just lyrics.. I can overanalyze just about anything. The music will do the real talking.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 am 

Subrick wrote:
ENKC wrote:

You're acting as though you've heard music from the record. I love the titles too, but I'm withholding major judgment until I hear a song.

Not at all. The song titles may as well be Necroticism Part 2, and they've basically said they know what the fans want. I too will need to hear the music to have an opinion on the music!
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next