Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 am 

You know, I always had a bit of a thing for urban legends, tales of supernatural encounters, cryptids, UFO shit, etc. Now, I don't believe in any of it, but it's interesting stuff to talk about if you ask me, and some stories can be particularly chilling. Take for instance the Kelly-Hopskinsville encounter, in which a couple of families were relentlessly attacked in a farmhouse by what they described as silvery, small, wide eyed goblins that, among other things, were bullet proof and defied gravity. There are many witnesses to the event, and pretty much all of them have prefectly compatible stories. Again, I'm not saying that little green men walk among us, but considering the lack of a decent explanation by authorities, plus the fact that the families were clearly traumatized by the event, this indeed has more weight than a blurry photograph of what looks like a flying, metallic condom.

So, is there anything in particular along these lines that you people find interesting? Maybe in your own city there's some scary urban tale that is known by everyone. Mind sharing it with us? Or perhaps you simply read about something that sent chills down your spine, even if you pretty much know that it can't be true. Otherwise, is there anything particularly strange that happened to you? Come on! Let's share some stories around our little, virtual campfire. It'll be fun :-D

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sun May 26, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:03 pm 

I'm a very big fan of creepy stories, urban legends that sort of thing. I also like fictional stuff like the SCP Foundation website and of course many a horror writer. But, like your example, the creepiest stories are those that many claim to have really happened. I am very skeptical towards all of it, but I loooooove a good story.

There's a story around our town that in the nearby nature preserve area the spirit of a headless lady can be seen floating around. There once was a farm near that area that some claim was owned by a family who's daughter was beheaded in a freak accident. However, there is no evidence whatsoever in our city hall on records of buildings or a family name to link to the 'accident'. Still many folks claim to have seen her, and I have to admit that at night, it can get pretty creepy there. There's a lot of water, so often there will be low mist banks at dusk.

Here's a picture of the area.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4143/4849 ... 2fef_z.jpg

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:15 pm 

That place is utterly beautiful, Ravenlord. It does seem like it would be quite unnerving at night though. Personally, I'd love to spend a night there with friends. Sounds like it would be quite the experience :-D

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:05 pm 

When I was around the age of 11/12 there was some silly urban myth about a red eyed demon roaming the woods not far from the village I live in. I'm pretty sure it was a very isolated urban myth because the only ones talking about it were me and my friends... Many summer nights were filled stalking through those woods trying to scare eachother. So I guess we became the very thing we tried to find.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:03 am 

looks like a good place to go fishing and drink beers haha.

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 am 

I am also very interested in this stuff. I like reading and listening to stories about paranormals, mysteries, ghosts, etc.
My favorite cryptids are Mothman and Jersey Devil. Although I haven't experienced any personal encounters with strange beings so far, I believe in their existence as well as in other realities.

Here are links to some interesting websites relating to this topic:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/
http://www.ghostvillage.com/
http://www.parapods.com/

And (not only) for skeptics:
http://skeptoid.com/

Last edited by Aquarius on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 am 

Aye, I always found the Mothman to be a pretty curious subject, not to mention rather creepy. Really; tall figure with no discernable head, bright, red eyes placed on its chest and a huge wingspan that likes to roam abandoned highways? That's the stuff nightmares are made of. Most of the alleged sightings were probably due to mass hysteria or people trying to get attention, but the first one is quite scary by itself.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm 

What I find most interesting in some of these stories is that some are very limited to a certain frame of time (couple of years or even months) and limited to a certain place. It's not just any bigfoot or giant lake monster tale that spans centuries but rather rapid cases of strange identical phenomena that came and went again :)

Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:16 am 

I was driving across the New Mexico desert once, and saw about a dozen lights on the horizon, shifting back & forth.....too fast for any craft to accomplish. Since it was New Mexico and obviously Roswell is nearby, it became a "spooky moment." I never went beyond that with it, though.

Sorry, that's all I've got. No other ghosts or aliens to report :)

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:47 am 

This thread needs more love. I have no stories of my own to contribute but I absolutley loved the Creepiest things that happened to you thread a couple years back. I hope we start another similar thread for all to enjoy

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:24 pm 

Where I live, we have that Will o' the Wisp phenomenon where strange floating lights lead people astray in the woods. Police reports and shit on it too...

were they hot?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 pm 

HerrDerQual wrote:
Where I live, we have that Will o' the Wisp phenomenon where strange floating lights lead people astray in the woods. Police reports and shit on it too...

Aren't those things supposed to be created by chemical reactions or something?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:49 pm 

There was that time when I saw my dead great-grandmother lying on the floor of my room, but I think I already mentioned that one in a previous thread. Still get the chills from this one though, tell you what.

About 4 years ago, around 5.pm I saw a light high in the sky. I thought it was an airplane at first, since they pass a lot through here, but it wasn't moving. I observed it for some minutes, and it started moving slightly, made some jerky movements and flew off in seconds, disappearing. I mentioned it to my mother and she said it could be a satellite, but it was pretty weird to see.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm 

I've heard a couple theories that "Will o wisps" are caused by balls of static electricity floating in the air, but I'm not sure how they are formed. There is a phenomenon called "Saint Elmo's Fire" which is supposed to have a similar cause.

Some of the lights in the sky may be hovercraft, either helicopters or these type of minature drone aircraft they have now. I've also seen spotlights aimed at the clouds which cause a wierd effect that looks like lights darting back and forth.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 pm 

Will-o-the-wisps/deadlights/dancing lights etc are most often debunked as swampgas I believe

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:34 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Aren't those things supposed to be created by chemical reactions or something?

I don't claim to know anything about Will O' the Wisps, so I can't say much about it. :/

were they hot?

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:47 am 

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

Ted's Caving Page. Quite obviously a hoax and not overly mortifying, but it does make me feel a little unnerved.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:21 am 

Thats pretty cool, never read that before, but goddamn that picture of the dude squeezing himself through that hole. Getting stuck like that is probably one of my worst fears, and they just do it.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 pm 

corpsewithoutsoul wrote:
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

Ted's Caving Page. Quite obviously a hoax and not overly mortifying, but it does make me feel a little unnerved.

I can't believe I read all of that, but it kept me interested all the way. Creepy story. He should have just drawn some glyphs on the wall and provided the picture. That would have made so much more believable. but I won't write anymore in any chance of spoiling the story for anyone else.

Great Thread by the way!

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:48 pm 

Well, I reside in Calcutta, now known as Kolkata. The city has vast British background. I've came across multiple myths or legends from time to time, the most intriguing one being the South Park Street Cemetery. I've heard shit like a fog like misty figure spotted around dawn and evening and whole lot of weird spoofs like a guy having an asthma attack while taking a photograph of a tomb but he wasn't asthmatic, although I believe in spirits I'm planning to visit the grounds myself soon. As permission is required so it'd be a bit tough. Also the people who reside around the cemetery keep their cemetery faced windows closed most of the times. Here's a picture of the cemetery. And there are myths surrounding Hastings House and The National Library as well.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:57 pm 

Just read that caving story. Pretty well-written and suspenseful. I like how, the "next" page doesnt work, like they had planned on posting a journal update but didnt survive the final trip... I've been caving a few times at IXL Cave and at Stearns Cave near Santa Cruz, California and there are a couple places in those caves which require squeezing through really tight spots on your belly- so I can relate to the story. And there was at least one spot in Stearns Cave which, if it were only a few inches wider to squeeze through, would lead to a whole series of unexplored caverns that are currently inaccessable. Some urban legend says that this cave was used as a secret ammunition cache during world war 2, but I never heard about any monsters living in it!

Which brings me to the point, There are a whole series of myths and urban legends of hidden underground races- most commonly a race of bipedal reptiles who are supposably related to the "little grey men" aliens in some fashion. The stories are always either that a) someone accidently wandered into their tunnels and discovered them but was then subsequently warned by some shadowy pseudo-government types to keep quiet about it- or b) during some excavation for an underground base, the military had inadvertently tunneled into their cities and now works with them in some secret technology-sharing program. The "Silurians" from the "Doctor Who" show seem to be based on these myths.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:57 am 

I love urban legends, Im extremely skeptical about them though, but i love listening to them. In my home town we got a cemetery on a road (Cuba Rd for all of you fellow Chicago suburbanites out there) thats apparently really haunted. Stories of a burnt house appearing then disappearing, floating orbs, a ghost mobster car driving down the road or an old lady that wanders the road at night. Been there recently a few times when i visited home, nothing happened, it was creepy as creepy can get but nothing crazy.

Edit: Also now living in the desert we got some crazy stories out here, like The Hills Have Eyes shit (and that was filmed where I live now) a creepy little town call Amboy is on the way to Vegas, an old beat up town that used to thrive on the tourists of Route 66 now lies in an almost ghost town manner. It's got a population of 8 people, all males apparently and LOTS of creepy stories about that place.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 am 

Doomster999, that is one creepy looking cemetary! If you'd get permission to enter don't forget to take some pictures!

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 am 

Oh, for sure! :-D
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 pm 

This road's just a few minutes from my house. I've seen the lights before, it's kinda cool.
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/haunted/moodyroad.htm

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:41 am 

Well I'm not sleeping tonight.

Last edited by From_Wisdom_To_Mabt on Tue May 28, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:30 pm 

I'm a bit of a skeptic myself, but oftentimes I wonder about the house I live in now. We bought it for really cheap because the previous owners were told by god to pack up their shit and leave. And that's exactly what they did. Threw the house on the market for way below value and took the first offer they got which was ours.

Anyway, my wife and I tend to hear voices around the place. Sometimes a few different voices at once. I work second shift, and when I get home after midnight is usually when I hear them. I follow them into a room that I call "The Bible Room". It's the only door inside the house with locks on the door, and the two windows in the room have key locks on the inside. When we looked at the house, there was nothing in this room but a small desk, a chair, and a Bible on it. Anyway, when I walk into the room the voices go away and don't come back.

I'll also hear voices and singing in the basement, although this is much more rare. It also happens at any time of the day with no patterns that I can tell, and unlike the voices I hear upstairs, they don't go away when I follow them. It just sounds distant. The obvious explanation is that it's something coming from outside, but I've heard it early in the morning, at noon, after dark, and around midnight. I'm sure I would have heard whatever is making the noise outside when everything else is silent. But I can only hear it in the basement. Plus the song always sounds the same. Two voices with a kind of chanting element. It's actually kind of nice.

But anyway, if there is something with this house, it is not trying to communicate with us directly. No evidence of ghosts or anything like that. Nothing malicious. Nothing bothersome. Just voices and occasional singing.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:03 am 

Unded Infidel wrote:
Edit: Also now living in the desert we got some crazy stories out here, like The Hills Have Eyes shit (and that was filmed where I live now) a creepy little town call Amboy is on the way to Vegas, an old beat up town that used to thrive on the tourists of Route 66 now lies in an almost ghost town manner. It's got a population of 8 people, all males apparently and LOTS of creepy stories about that place.

I saw that place when I went out to 29 Palms my first CAX. You hear all sorts of crazy tales about the crater being a gateway to hell on earth and stuff.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:09 pm 

^There is some place out in the Mojave Desert where some guy back in the 50s with way more money than good sense, purchaced something like 100 square miles of desert and tried to build a city that was supposed to be a "New Los Angeles" or something. Anyway, he built an entire grid of paved streets: literally thousands of miles of roads, boulevards, and neighborhood streets in the middle of the desert. But of course, nobody wanted to live in the middle of the Mojave Desert, so it just sat empty- and now it's just this vast network of empty paved streets slowly being buried by the desert sands. I've never been out that way, but I've heard it's somewhere in the middle of nowhere out towards that Amboy place? Sounds like a wierd place.

I do know that in the southwestern part of the US there is always stories of creepy military shit going on, Art Bell kind of UFO/Military conspiracy stuff. Allegedly there are a lot of un-mapped secret military installations out there, where you could be in the absolute middle of nowhere and suddenly helicopters, jeeps, and armed uniformed men will just appear and stop you for no reason.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:49 pm 

LanceCriminal wrote:
Unded Infidel wrote:

I saw that place when I went out to 29 Palms my first CAX. You hear all sorts of crazy tales about the crater being a gateway to hell on earth and stuff.

I just googled the place. It actually has this weird, creepy feeling just from the pictures!
What other stories have you heard from there.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:54 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
^There is some place out in the Mojave Desert where some guy back in the 50s with way more money than good sense, purchaced something like 100 square miles of desert and tried to build a city that was supposed to be a "New Los Angeles" or something. Anyway, he built an entire grid of paved streets: literally thousands of miles of roads, boulevards, and neighborhood streets in the middle of the desert. But of course, nobody wanted to live in the middle of the Mojave Desert, so it just sat empty- and now it's just this vast network of empty paved streets slowly being buried by the desert sands. I've never been out that way, but I've heard it's somewhere in the middle of nowhere out towards that Amboy place? Sounds like a wierd place.

I do know that in the southwestern part of the US there is always stories of creepy military shit going on, Art Bell kind of UFO/Military conspiracy stuff. Allegedly there are a lot of un-mapped secret military installations out there, where you could be in the absolute middle of nowhere and suddenly helicopters, jeeps, and armed uniformed men will just appear and stop you for no reason.

Yeah you hear all sorts of weird stories from the Mojave. Backstory: It's the largest military training area in the USA and most likely the world as far as size. The reason for that is that the place is literally so uninhabitable that nobody wants the land for anything else...in fact the army actually had first dibs on it but they deemed it too fucking ridiculous to expect soldiers to operate there, so the Marine Corps of course jumped at the chance for a big empty miserable area to fuck shit up and make Marines hate their lives.

I've spent quite a bit of time out there myself. I didn't see any UFOs or state secrets or anything crazy like that but I don't doubt that there's some weirdness going on there, they could damn near hide about anything in plain sight out there. Plenty of just weird shit though...my last trip out there I was a Road Guard meaning that instead of doing grunt stuff, Battalion had me and about a platoon of other guys pulled out of our Companies and just tasked out to go guard the range roads while they were shooting and blowing shit up so some dumbass wouldn't drive into the sectors of fire. So basically I got to sit around out on isolated posts in an alien landscape with nothing but a buddy, a radio, water and chow and a camo net so we wouldn't burn. For days at a time. So many odd sights and sounds...crazy old indian glyphs on the rocks (Mixed in with dicks and stuff that Marines added to it), weird noises, fucking insane wildlife. Google "Tarantula Hawk"...it's this mutant looking giant bug that swoops down and kills and eats tarantulas. Seeing it in person is nuts.

I remember one night on a really really distant post that took like a 4 hour drive to get to, we were up way late just having deep talks about the nature of the universe and all of a sudden for like 20 minutes there was a fucking freaky almost warbling, droning noise which produced just a total feeling of apprehension...that seemed to be right on top of us yet at the same time come from far away...basically like it came from fucking nowhere. I've heard stuff about isolated areas of the globe that have some kind of vibration that you can feel/hear. Either way it was weird.

As a probably unrealted side note we're pretty sure this was the same or close to the same post where that one guy was left and forgotten about by his unit and long story short all they found later was a pile of spent brass and an oily stain in the sand, some clothing tatters and months and months after that they found several piles of human bones in old coyote dens.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:50 am 

i thought this thread might be my opportunity to tell the story of the u.f.o i might have seen about two weeks ago on my honeymoon. My wife reckons it was just a helicopter, if i could get someone else's opinion would be great.

I got up in the middle of the night for a piss ( about 2.30am ) being really hot i just pissed off the deck overlooking the beaches and hills when i sore a light just sitting just above the hills. The light i just took for a star got brighter and brighter then died back down to nothing, it done this about three times then sunk down behind the hill. When it was behind the hill i could see the light lighting up the area of sky behind it about three or four times then nothing.

I went back to bed feeling a bit weird and freaked out, i didn't tell my wife till the morning and she is positive it was just a helicopter, i have kind of convinced myself the same thing....but i'm not so sure

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:13 am 

LanceCriminal wrote:
I remember one night on a really really distant post that took like a 4 hour drive to get to, we were up way late just having deep talks about the nature of the universe and all of a sudden for like 20 minutes there was a fucking freaky almost warbling, droning noise which produced just a total feeling of apprehension...that seemed to be right on top of us yet at the same time come from far away...basically like it came from fucking nowhere. I've heard stuff about isolated areas of the globe that have some kind of vibration that you can feel/hear. Either way it was weird.

Does it sound like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/ ... h.science3

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:33 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
LanceCriminal wrote:

Does it sound like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/ ... h.science3

Maybe. I dunno about the diesel engine description, it sounded...very low octave but more warble-ey and pitchy. I'd compare it more to the sound of a giant blob of buzzing insects. It wasn't ear splitting loud or anything though but it was definitely noticeable.

Reminded me of the music in this at the time, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPKg2c_bRCs

This from Wiki stood out at me though:

Quote:
In 2009, the head of audiology at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, Dr David Baguley, said that he believed people's problems with hum were based on the physical world about one-third of the time and the other two-thirds stemmed from people focusing too keenly on innocuous background sounds.[13]

Two weird fucking infantry Marines, up talking about the nature of the occult and the cosmos and all of life's problems at 2am who've spent the last 4 days eating the same bullshit and sitting in the same isolated spot that might as well be the fucking moon focusing too keenly on innocuous background sounds? Nah... :lol:

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 am 

LanceCriminal wrote:
Unded Infidel wrote:

I just googled the place. It actually has this weird, creepy feeling just from the pictures!
What other stories have you heard from there.

About the crater? All sorts of off the wall shit about how the crater was made when Lucifer fell to earth and I know a guy who knows a guy whose cousin heard about some bunch of crazy devil worshipin' crazies doing crazy shit in the crater on Halloween or something and trying to enter a portal to hell. You can tell there's a portal to hell there because Joshua trees grow there and they don't grow anywhere else in the world except Israel.

Its interesting and all but everyone you ask about it around there either thinks it's stupid or goes full retard when you ask about Amboy Crater.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:44 pm 

There's a place called Rogues Hollow about a ten minute drive from my house. There's a book that's been written specifically about the history of the town that you can get online if you do a Google search for it. I've gone there at least a dozen times with friends and I can tell you it's the creepiest place I've ever been to. I was entirely convinced that I experienced something "paranormal" after leaving that place on a few occasions. It's been a couple years since I've last visited the place so I'm not sure where I stand on that nowadays.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:23 pm 

Dude, that fucking place looks like bloody Dunwich.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:47 pm 

Child of Dunwich rise! You have your father's eyes!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 pm 

haha, Does it? You'd be able to find a decent number of other pictures of the place on the internet. I just didn't want to spam the thread with any more than one image. Shit, I don't know if I could actually live there if I was living alone.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... O56_eJ4P1e
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6087/6038 ... 4f2f_z.jpg
http://www.deadohio.com/CBroguesriver.jpg
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 6faa/l.jpg

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:52 pm 

LanceCriminal wrote:

It seems like you experienced "the bloop". Named like that, because when it is sped up 16 times, it sounds similar to something getting dropped in some thick liquid or you know...bloop*

Spoiler: show

But, listen to that shit without being sped up and you get this.

Spoiler: show

Does that sound similar to what you heard? I searched google a bit and apparently, last year it was discovered that the sound was produced by "icequakes", whatever they are. It sounds fascinating, so I will give it a read some time later. :)

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next