Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
agnosticwithin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:49 am 

Hi,

I'm gonna' go ahead and paste what I wrote on another site (the sites questions included).

"- Who are you? -

The name’s Juan, nice and simple.

I enjoy music to the fullest extent, and I want to strive to be a good vocalist. So far I'm a bit better at clean and harsh vocals than I am at actual full-on black metal screaming. But I'm working on it so I can incorporate it more into the music I wish to one day make.

- Who are you looking for? -

I am looking for professional, and simply cool-headed individuals with interest in making interesting and somewhat unique avant-garde black metal music (no short-fused dickheads please, it would not end well, we need to get along). Basically, my main passion is black metal but I don’t want to limit it to an orthodox and classic style. I want to broaden sounds because I can’t do typical black metal vocals for a long time (although I am open to trying and learning and practicing that as well. I‘m not terrible at it either). I’m looking for a type of sound that can lead me to perform vocals with harsh-tone screaming, and also clean vocals thrown in the mix. If possible, I would like a guitarist capable of throwing in not just raw and harsh fast riffs (Taake style), but also slower passages and more beautiful riffs and licks. I would love it to be deeply rooted in black metal, but with aspects of a lot of other styles such as doom metal, avant-garde metal such as Arcturus, and classic rock n’ roll head banging riffs every now and then.

Obviously I would like to find our own personal sound through these means, but if for whatever reason it doesn’t work out within these sounds then I suppose we can try other styles. I just would not like to end up making anything plastic or generic sounding. Definitely no death metal. I’m a big old-school death metal fan, but I don’t want to end up playing it.

With that said, I want to add that I am in no way trying to lead the band or make anything mandatory. I don't want to sound pushy. What I mean is, what I described would be the ideal sound for a band that I would like to be part of, but it's not concrete and I am open to adding different sounds or working with different ideas. I will not end up playing in any band with an over-produced plastic sound, however, that I will make clear.

I would be the vocalist, so I would need a drummer, a guitarist or two, and a bassist to just try things out with. I can’t jam where I live because as I said I don’t live alone and I would probably end up getting kicked out of my apartment by the condominium president anyway, haha.

- What have you done? -

Nothing yet. I’m not a professional musician, or even a professional vocalist. I just want to try things out and want to do my best to become better. I used to be pretty good with vocals back in high school, so I guess I can take it from there. But I’ve never played any gigs with anybody. The whole point of this is to learn and to do it surrounded by fellow music enthusiasts, you don’t have to be virtuoso-level talented. In fact, I hate bands that are way too technical anyway. I’ve never written a song in my entire life.

- What are your plans? -

I don’t want to be some huge rockstar, that‘s for sure. I don’t think music should be made for love of money (whatever salary we make is just a bonus and a means of survival). I believe musicians should not strive to make music for the sake of getting paid or being famous. As far as I’m concerned being famous would probably suck ass anyway. There have been many great bands ruined by the limelight and media attention.

Music should be made for the passion and love for it, for the shear artistry of it all, not the money behind it. I don’t think I would even like touring very much. Maybe a little, but not very much.

I would like to start off as a local band, and bring some bad ass black metal to a city/state that knows nothing about it."

That's basically it. Anybody interested please send me a PM and we can get in contact from there through emails.

Last edited by agnosticwithin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:39 pm 

Hello Juan,

I am not from Florida but I have some friendly suggestions on how you could improve how you are presenting yourself when it comes to finding band members. First impressions are important, so you shouldn't start off talking about how you are a loser. In fact I would suggest that you refrain entirely from insulting yourself. Despite how much negativity there is in black metal lyrics, a band is still a collaborative effort and people typically do not enjoy working with people who complain or highlight negative things.

For example, you have a car you can borrow almost anytime you like. Mentioning that conveys the truth about your transportation situation but sounds much more positive than stating you will need help getting around, which sounds needier. You can be persuasive while entirely truthful

Another example is how you say you would be the vocalist, but can't do black metal vocals very long although you yourself are looking for profession musicians while saying that you are not one. Wouldn't it sound better to say that you can do some black metal vocals, but prefer to switch up vocal styles because you want an avantgarde sound? Highlight the things that you do offer instead of what you don't. On that note, I think it is asking far too much of musicians to want to spend time working with you when you don't have any songs written or vocal samples. Record some vocals, practice vocals, and write some lyrics!

I absolutely encourage you to pursue this because you make it clear that that music is important to you, but you have to dedicate yourself to music or if you have already, do a better job demonstrating your dedication.

agnosticwithin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:57 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
Hello Juan,

I am not from Florida but I have some friendly suggestions on how you could improve how you are presenting yourself when it comes to finding band members. First impressions are important, so you shouldn't start off talking about how you are a loser. In fact I would suggest that you refrain entirely from insulting yourself. Despite how much negativity there is in black metal lyrics, a band is still a collaborative effort and people typically do not enjoy working with people who complain or highlight negative things.

For example, you have a car you can borrow almost anytime you like. Mentioning that conveys the truth about your transportation situation but sounds much more positive than stating you will need help getting around, which sounds needier. You can be persuasive while entirely truthful

Another example is how you say you would be the vocalist, but can't do black metal vocals very long although you yourself are looking for profession musicians while saying that you are not one. Wouldn't it sound better to say that you can do some black metal vocals, but prefer to switch up vocal styles because you want an avantgarde sound? Highlight the things that you do offer instead of what you don't. On that note, I think it is asking far too much of musicians to want to spend time working with you when you don't have any songs written or vocal samples. Record some vocals, practice vocals, and write some lyrics!

I absolutely encourage you to pursue this because you make it clear that that music is important to you, but you have to dedicate yourself to music or if you have already, do a better job demonstrating your dedication.

Thank you for the response. Everything you said definitely makes sense and has been noted. I edited the post a bit and tried to make it more straight-forward and a bit more "positive."

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:49 pm 

Two things that are recommended when looking for bandmates, since they're really helpful:

-A recording of what you can do, even if it's just a webcam/cellphone recording over a backing track. If you need something instrumental to scream over, try Forest of Fog's "Rabenflug".
-What equipment you have. Do you have any microphones? PA system? Anything for recording?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm 

Hey, Juan. Just a small point on the subject of first impression. The presentation kind of reads like you're trying to head a band as opposed to be part of one. If you're actually looking to head a band, definitely include audio samples of your concepts. Other than that, I'd suggest applying to other peoples' projects. And if there's fucking nothing at all to be found in Miami, fear not for there is always the black metal solo project.

agnosticwithin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:25 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Hey, Juan. Just a small point on the subject of first impression. The presentation kind of reads like you're trying to head a band as opposed to be part of one. If you're actually looking to head a band, definitely include audio samples of your concepts. Other than that, I'd suggest applying to other peoples' projects. And if there's fucking nothing at all to be found in Miami, fear not for there is always the black metal solo project.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Let me just state that I am working on recording some vocal samples at the moment. As for the presentation of me trying to lead the band I want to clear things up on that...

I don't know exactly how to express this, but really what I meant by the "description" in my original post was just the ideal sound I would like to be a part of. It doesn't HAVE to be that, I am open to working with other sounds so long as I don't end up making anything false or plastic sounding. I'm not sure how to be clearer than that. An avant-garde black metal project is what would be ideal, but of course I am open to other sounds. I just want it to be unique and no clone band. But you called it, good music taste in Miami is SCARCE!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 pm 

I don't know anything about Tampa, but you might consider moving there if Morbid Angel opened up more of a market for metal in Florida. Trying to "bring metal to Miami" sounds like a headache and a half to me. :/

Reply to topic