Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:45 pm 

Weak, that sucks. I'll probably still check it out, but I want to wait until it's not so damn expensive.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:55 pm 

Ignore BH, BL2 is awesome. :p

Of course, I still wouldn't spend too much money on a Gearbox product after I learned about their business practices (greedy DLC bollocks + allegedly ripping off Sega badly with Aliens: CM) and their shameless plagiarism. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 am 

That's good to hear, I've been really enjoying the first one and was hoping the second one was at least as good. I've looked up some reviews on youtube and it looked really good. The only real problem I'm having with the first one is the levels often look the same and that looks like something they've fixed. Also, the amount of variations on the guns is absolutely insane.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Ignore BH, BL2 is awesome. :p

Of course, I still wouldn't spend too much money on a Gearbox product after I learned about their business practices (greedy DLC bollocks + allegedly ripping off Sega badly with Aliens: CM) and their shameless plagiarism. :nono:

Woah, that's a dick move. Basically, if someone stole designs and ideas from a successful gaming company for commercial use they'd never get away with it! But those artists tolerate the fact that Gearbox ripped them because (I assume) suing could ruin their reputation. :nono:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:00 am 

The bait-and-switch they pulled off with Aliens: CM was pretty awful as well. The E3 demo had people expecting Aliens: CM to be an awesome and atmospheric successor to the movie Aliens (even being advertised as a true sequel). Nope, turns out the final game was shit and the E3 demo was a complete lie. I hope Sega can legally screw them over.

I guess Gearbox wanted to continue the tradition of ruining the Alien franchise.

Edit
Replayed MGS3 in it's entirety for the 762th time (HD version this time). I learn something new every time I play it. Found Groznyj Grad's food storage, blowing it up made the last part of the game significantly easier.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:32 am 

Adriankat wrote:
Replayed MGS3 in it's entirety for the 762th time (HD version this time). I learn something new every time I play it. Found Groznyj Grad's food storage, blowing it up made the last part of the game significantly easier.

I did this by accident on my first playthrough, and I was wondering why all the guards were so easy to pick off :lol:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:29 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
That's good to hear, I've been really enjoying the first one and was hoping the second one was at least as good. I've looked up some reviews on youtube and it looked really good. The only real problem I'm having with the first one is the levels often look the same and that looks like something they've fixed. Also, the amount of variations on the guns is absolutely insane.

It's basically the same except way better in every way. They didn't change the formula really, they just improved everything from gun variation to gun aesthetics to the script to the boss battles to the basic enemy types.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:32 pm 

That's good enough for me. I liked the formula, I just thought that the game had a few problems (levels all looking the same, not a lot of dialogue, having a very vague plot). I still think the first one is great, it just could improve on some things, which it appears the second game did. I'm looking forward to it.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
I guess Gearbox wanted to continue the tradition of ruining the Alien franchise.

They do have a little known but badass DS game.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:39 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Last time I checked, it was over $100, some going near $150, but that was like 2-3 years ago when I had given up hope of finding it. You cannot begin to imagine my excitement when he brought it to me.

You do know it's $5 on Steam... Fucking collectors. But man, $150? I should have kept my floppies. :|

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 pm 

I know, its just that my internet service is very unreliable and I don't like to have to depend on it if possible. I may get an account anyway as I've heard internet it's just needed for login. Anyway, I've literally made like seven back-up copies of the game, one in each of my USB drives and in every computer in the house. Game is just as good as the hype claimed, for once.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:26 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
That's good enough for me. I liked the formula, I just thought that the game had a few problems (levels all looking the same, not a lot of dialogue, having a very vague plot). I still think the first one is great, it just could improve on some things, which it appears the second game did. I'm looking forward to it.

Oh that's another improvement I forgot to mention, the levels are all quite varied. There's only one desert "zone"; the others are volcanic, jungle, industrial facility, arctic, temperate, etc. I had the same complaint about the original, but the second game alleviates it completely.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:15 pm 

Yeaaaaaaaaaah, level 53 shadow in hardcore PoE. Got some nice armor and evasion, max cold/fire resists, soon to have close to 2k life in another 5 levels.

By far the furthest I've gotten with a single character. Freezing pulse + lesser multiple projectiles + faster projectiles + cold penetration while using the frostbite curse is just nasty.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:41 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Many sources indicate that Warriors Orochi is the superior game :thumbsup:

If you guys never see me again, this is the reason why. Just like every Warriors game, this might as well be smack for how fucking addictive it is. If I have any complaints/comments it's that the difficulty curve is extraordinarily sharp... but in the opposite direction. I start off playing on Hard, and I need to interim save after damn near every officer and I need to reload each stage like ten times to finally get through without dying, but once you sink a little bit of time into a big star weapon, you become a walking armageddon. I get the feeling it'll even out as it goes, but if you shell out the money for one of the big star weapons early on, you can only lose via sheer determined idiocy. Being able to obtain somebody's final weapon and then grind it up to max level after an hour or so of gameplay is just game-breakingly destructive. Basically my tip to newcomers is to find somebody you're good with (I got lucky because a lot of my personal favorite characters are unlocked early on (Ginchyo Tachibana and muthafuckin' Zhou Tai are deathtanks, you also unlock Yukimura Sanada and Guo Huai in the same level)), invest in a big star weapon, and just persevere with how weak it is at the start, those things are like fucking Magikarp.

132 characters. This'll keep me occupied for a while...
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
(I got lucky because a lot of my personal favorite characters are unlocked early on (...muthafuckin' Zhou Tai are deathtanks,...

BH knows! MF'in ZHOU TAI RULES.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 pm 

Seriously! I almost feel bad using him because he's consistently been one of the best characters ever since he was introduced, so it almost feels like cheating. I also adored Xiahou Ba in DW7, so I'm chomping at the bit to unlock him as well. Honestly though, I'll have to switch up my team because Zhou Tai + Ginchyo Tachibana is just ludicrously unfair to the opposition. I mean, I'm obviously still having fun with it but goddamn there's no danger anymore (unless I square off against Himiko, that bitch can apparently vaporize you with the first two strikes of her musou).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:08 pm 

What are some good old PC games that are classics gameplay wise, but have mods with updated graphics? Two I will certainly be getting are Deus Ex and System Shock 2. I may look into the Thief games. I also want to play the original Doom 3 (with graphics mods).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 pm 

sortalikeadream wrote:
What are some good old PC games that are classics gameplay wise, but have mods with updated graphics? Two I will certainly be getting are Deus Ex and System Shock 2. I may look into the Thief games. I also want to play the original Doom 3 (with graphics mods).

That Black Mesa Half-life 1 remake.

Last edited by Nahsil on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:11 pm 

sortalikeadream wrote:

This Morrowind overhaul mod makes the game look way better than Oblivion, and even better than Skyrim in some regards.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 pm 

sortalikeadream wrote:

Those alone will keep you busy for a while. If you haven't played it before Deus Ex is going to become your new favorite game and will take 25 hours at least to complete.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:02 pm 

Turns out I made a steam account in 2008 and already own Deus Ex: GOTY Edition, Max Payne, and Counter-Strike. Nice.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:03 pm 

Brutal Legend is on Steam.

Is it any good? Anyone play it? It was released quite a while ago on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Well, I guess I'll find out. Lots of good songs on the soundtrack.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 pm 

Play the demo, then never look back. The first 15 minutes are great, after that the game starts gradually butchering itself with self-proclaimed 'unique' gameplay in the form of a 3rd person action hack n slash real time strategy racing game. Double Fine clearly had no idea what kind of game they wanted to make and it shows hard. The 'humor' will wear down insanely fast, the endlessly similar 'sidequests' will drive you nuts and even the soundtrack will start to drag after you've heard every song 20 times over. I made it until the very last bit of the game on 'Brutal' mode but never finished it because I just couldn't be bothered. I can't remember any other game I played in the last few years that started out as so much fun and started to dissapoint, annoy and bother so much, more and more with every hour I put into it.

*edit* It's the only game I ever traded in at the game-store, got 7,5 euros back for it when I bought Dark Souls :)

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:42 pm 

Nanoscourge wrote:
sortalikeadream wrote:

This Morrowind overhaul mod makes the game look way better than Oblivion, and even better than Skyrim in some regards.

Now the question is if it is better than Morroblivion.

I have yet to play Morrowind so I'm genuinely interested in the answer to that question.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:21 pm 

Just lost my level 59 hardcore freezing pulse shadow in PoE.

I went afk to get food and left him near the entrance to a zone. Normally there aren't enemies right next to entrances, but there was a skeleton shooting me from far away. Furthest I'd gotten in hardcore, had some great gear that I found/traded for.

FML

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:57 pm 

Got my first PC games haul. Too damn easy to spend money, but the value is incredible

Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Spec Ops: The Line
Guild Wars 2
L.A. Noir

for just a couple dollars over $60.

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:16 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Nanoscourge wrote:

Now the question is if it is better than Morroblivion.

I have yet to play Morrowind so I'm genuinely interested in the answer to that question.

That looks pretty cool, I'd probably still stick with the Morrowind overhaul cos I greatly prefer the inventory/dialogue system in Morrowind over Olbivion's, though the combat would probably make it easier for someone who plays Oblivion or Skyrim to get into the game. I always had a gripe with the character design in Oblivion, too, whereas the Morrowind overhaul actually makes them look pretty damn good.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:20 pm 

How do you think the Dragonborn DLC is going to affect Morrowind/Skyrim modding? There's enough Vvardenfell-esque content in Solthsteim (crab houses, mushroom trees, bonemold, netches) etc that someone could probably make a fairly dedicated Morrowind mod in Skyrim using that alone.

Just from a gameplay perspective, I already love Dragonborn. I will fully confess to squealing like a girl when Morrowind songs played on the overworld map. Obvious fan service there, and some major fucking nostalgia.

KingAlastor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm 

So, I need some help. I just started a new PSN account and now it won't let me log in. I keep getting the "Forgot password" message, no matter how many times I reset my password. Anyone know to fix this?

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
How do you think the Dragonborn DLC is going to affect Morrowind/Skyrim modding? There's enough Vvardenfell-esque content in Solthsteim (crab houses, mushroom trees, bonemold, netches) etc that someone could probably make a fairly dedicated Morrowind mod in Skyrim using that alone.

Just from a gameplay perspective, I already love Dragonborn. I will fully confess to squealing like a girl when Morrowind songs played on the overworld map. Obvious fan service there, and some major fucking nostalgia.

Based on what's posted on the Morroblivion page, it looks like someone's already made what looks like some pretty significant progress on a Skyrim/Morrowind crossover. I'd be much more inclined to play that than an Oblivion one, as I feel Skyrim as a whole is just an improved Oblivion. I'd kill for a "Morrowind 2", though, but I doubt there's nearly enough money to be made from it for Bethesda to consider it. :(

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:15 am 

Nanoscourge wrote:
sortalikeadream wrote:

Those look like Ps2 Ratchet and Clank graphics at best, in fact I think I've seen some of the temple like locations in Ratchet and Clank look similar to those temples in Morrowind. Some of the earth still looks like moist shit too; if I could make a suggestion to these guys: more grass maybe? You know, grass that actually sticks up in some sort of way?

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 am 

uhh...no? I don't really have any other way to respond, that's just sort of...wrong. Granted it does look a fair bit better on max settings when you're actually in-game. And there is grass. :p

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 am 

Nanoscourge wrote:
And there is grass. :p
You mean that crystallized green shit at 0:15? Or did you mean the total of three bushes that were found throughout the preview even on 720p? I don't know about you but I've never taken a lump of clay, painted it green, and said it looked like grass.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:39 pm 

I doubt you'll get Morrowind's engine to display grass that looks even remotely realistic. High quality textures without an appropriate view distance algorithm will definitely fuck up performance.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:56 pm 

Why would you even want to change the original Morrowind graphics? They are awesome.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:40 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Those look like Ps2 Ratchet and Clank graphics at best, in fact I think I've seen some of the temple like locations in Ratchet and Clank look similar to those temples in Morrowind. Some of the earth still looks like moist shit too; if I could make a suggestion to these guys: more grass maybe? You know, grass that actually sticks up in some sort of way?

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about; the original Morrowind was on Xbox, a way more powerful system than the PS2, and still didn't even run that well. A PS2 wouldn't even begin to touch the modded-up version.

Wilytank wrote:
Nanoscourge wrote:
You mean that crystallized green shit at 0:15? Or did you mean the total of three bushes that were found throughout the preview even on 720p? I don't know about you but I've never taken a lump of clay, painted it green, and said it looked like grass.

Dude, you're looking at like one single piece of grass, which just isn't fair. Morrowind was never that good in terms of small-scale graphics, it's always been about huge landscapes. You have to multiply that single piece of grass across a huge stretch of land and look at it from a distance to get the full effect. If every single piece of grass were like some high-poly nonsense it would completely destroy your system, given the engine was never optimized for that shit.

When I went on my own Morrowind mod binge, it was mostly stuff like character models, NPC behavior, and some of the city layouts that I got mods for. There were a few really awesome mods for Balmora that added things like an actual city wall (seriously, it has guard towers but no wall?), lots of background NPC noises to make it sound active, NPC schedules so people were walking around, talking to each other, etc. Just made it feel a lot more "real", which to me was a lot more important than adding all sorts of hi-rez textures and whatever (I still did, though).

There was also a really cool combat mod that extensively retooled the melee combat, basically making a Skyrim-like combat system (years before Skyrim actually came out) of pushing different direction buttons to perform different attacks, except it was more complex. Each weapon type had its own combo system, for example you could press up up down while holding a 2h club to perform a knockdown, as long as you had the stamina. Other weapons had bleed effects, a chance at paralysis, shit like that. Of course these powerful combos required a mod to make the enemies stronger, but once I got everything working properly I remember it being quite balanced and fun. If you tried to just stroll into combat casually waving your sword around like in vanilla Morrowind, you'd get pummeled, but if you used the combos effectively and managed your stamina intelligently, you'd do very well. It rewarded smart play over just gearing up and clubbing people over the head with the strongest weapon you can find, as vanilla Morrowind did after a certain point.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:45 pm 

Quote:
on Xbox, a way slightly more powerful system than the PS2

Sorry to nitpick, but, FTFY :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 pm 

@failsafeman: Sounds pretty cool. Care to post your mod list?

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:08 pm 

Morrowind has the best skill system of any RPG I've ever played. I hope they preserve it via mods indefinitely.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:27 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Nanoscourge wrote:
You mean that crystallized green shit at 0:15?

That's actually the top of a tree. :p

Morrowind Overhaul grass is pretty well done. I think it looks better than Oblivion's grass, and only slightly worse than Skyrim's grass.

I really liked how they changed the water, which had seafoam and 3D waves. Made it better than Skyrim's water - except for small streams and waterfalls which are among my favorite features in Skyrim.

failsafeman wrote:
A PS3 wouldn't even begin to touch the modded-up version.

Fixed. Yes, seriously, a PS3 would have problems with Morrowind with the graphical overhaul, which is really just a large collection of mods. It chugs at times on my system, while Skyrim runs perfectly smoothly. And I suppose I don't have to even start getting into how the PS3 runs Skyrim.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482 ... 940  Next