Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Behemoth23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:04 pm 

**Searched for an existing thread and found nothing** If there is an existing thread feel free to merge this one with it or simply delete this thread.

http://loudwire.com/suffocation-derek-b ... ig-5-tour/

When reflecting on the history of death metal, there might eventually be a chapter based on what’s known as “The Brutal Big 5.” Taking a page out of the “Big 4″ playbook, the “Brutal Big 5″ would be death metal’s answer to thrash’s very successful pairing of iconic rockers Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax on a package tour.

Suffocation bassist Derek Boyer revealed to TheGauntlet.com that the idea is very much alive, with discussions beginning to get five pioneering bands in the genre together on tour. He explained, “We are talking about doing rotating headlining spots with Suffocation, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse and Obituary. We want to get all the heavyweights together and flip-flop and take turns headlining. It will be really fun to get this thing to work out.”

While nothing is confirmed as of yet, the pairing would be huge for death metal fans should it come to fruition and likely a nice payday for the acts as well. Much like ‘The Big 4,’ timing would be the key thing with the bands being able to synchronize their schedules to make it happen.

At present, Suffocation are building up to the Feb. 19 release of their ‘Pinnacle of Bedlam’ album. Deicide’s last album was 2011′s ‘To Hell With God,’ but there’s been talk of a new disc coming this year. Obituary are also reportedly working on a new disc. Cannibal Corpse are still going strong off their 2012 effort, ‘Torture,’ while Morbid Angel could be looking to do something soon as their last album, ‘Illud Divinium Insanus,’ was issued in 2011.

I would definitely be there if this does happen! What I want to know is who would get the headlining slot? There are too many big egos here!

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 pm 

This would be an awesome tour - although for some reason I feel Benton might be a spanner in the works, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would get behind a tour like this, just because of the way he percieves Deicide and stuff. Not shitting on him, just I have an inkling he wouldn't feel something like this. I'm probably wrong, though.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:31 pm 

Replace Oshituary and we'd have an excellent tour, all of them are/were tremendous bands. Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse would annihilate all of the other bands off the bill.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 pm 

Suffocation, Cannibal, and Morbid Angel would be enough for me.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:50 pm 

If Death were still around then they'd be in place of Obituary, but the first three Obituary records are masterpieces so I think they fit well enough.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:42 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
This would be an awesome tour - although for some reason I feel Benton might be a spanner in the works, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would get behind a tour like this, just because of the way he percieves Deicide and stuff. Not shitting on him, just I have an inkling he wouldn't feel something like this. I'm probably wrong, though.

They seem like the odd band out for that reason for me, too. Say what can be said for Morbid Angel and their current direction, but they still play their best stuff live and do it damn well. This bill needs Immolation, even if they're already opening up for CC on the Decibel tour. Such a monolithic force in a live setting.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:49 am 

How about an NYDM Big Five instead? Suffo, Immo, Incantation, Malignancy, and either Dehumanized or Internal Bleeding. In all honesty, that'd probably work better when you factor in some of the rather large egos of a few of the Florida guys and the inevitable personality clashes that will follow.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:10 am 

Veracs wrote:
Replace Oshituary and we'd have an excellent tour, all of them are/were tremendous bands. Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse would annihilate all of the other bands off the bill.

I think Deicide could hold their own for sure. They are KILLER live and now that they have dual vocals in the show, it's a really intense atmosphere

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:17 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
How about an NYDM Big Five instead? Suffo, Immo, Incantation, Malignancy, and either Dehumanized or Internal Bleeding. In all honesty, that'd probably work better when you factor in some of the rather large egos of a few of the Florida guys and the inevitable personality clashes that will follow.

I could go for that, and you could even take it beyond just 5 and maybe include Pyrexia or Derketa from PA or someone else in there if you really wanted to. Incantation's from Pennsylvania themselves actually, but I've always considered the NY/NJ/PA scene to exist as a whole. A "Mid-Atlantic" Tour would give a nice variety between the brutal, slammier bands and the doomy, more atmospheric ones.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:07 am 

i'd rather just see the 3 big -ations

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:10 am 

Veracs wrote:
Oshituary

You wanna take this outside?

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 am 

I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:05 am 

People should really stop talking shit about Obituary, as they are easily the greatest band on this bill (all the bands are great, though). John Tardy's vocals alone completely crush every other vocalist in every other band on this bill. Anyway, personally I think that if one or two bands (Morbid Angel is really the only band I worry about) were to not be interested, you could replace them with someone like Napalm Death or whatever. It's all a matter of opinion.

That is the problem with a "big five" tour for death metal, the idea was created by the fans, not music journalists, so everyone has a different idea of which bands should be included, and which shouldn't, based off their own tastes. I have seen people talk about everything from Dying Fetus to Seance being included in on this, and even one asshole who wondered why Death wasn't included, :lol:. I do think that this is the best lineup possible, though. There isn't any apparent lasting tension between any of the bands (the same cannot be said for the big four...), so the best we can do is hope that something will come of it.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 am 

I've never been into Morbid Angel at all, and not through lack of trying to get why people actually like them. I'd go and see the shit out of this if it did come to the UK, but in an ideal world I would have Napalm Death and Immolation over MA and Deicide. But then who doesn't have their own preferences?

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 am 

hey you 2 guys before me Morbid Angel and Obituary both kick ass, on records and on the stage. I've seen Morbid twice since they made their last record and they totally kick ass on the stage, they play the 2 or 3 best live tracks from the new album (Existo, Nevermore, Morbid) and everything else from the first 4 albums, sometimes they add Bil Ur Sag from Formulas Fatal To The Flesh. Havent seen Deicide or Suffo live but I take other people's word on how awesome they are. I'd totally go to this show if they come to my hometown.
And I really dont like the current Cannibal Corpse but I can see why they would be on the bill.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:22 am 

enigmatech wrote:
People should really stop talking shit about Obituary, as they are easily the greatest band on this bill (all the bands are great, though). John Tardy's vocals alone completely crush every other vocalist in every other band on this bill.

Truer words have never been spoken. Obituary are the only death metal band I could listen to all day.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 am 

An idea of a tour like this makes me giddy. Don't care how far I have to drive or how much tickets are, I'd catch at least one show on that tour.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:03 am 

First of all, ditch Deicide because we all know Benton will drop out and while we are at it, fuck Obituary off, they've been going down hill for a number of years now.
Even though they aren't big 5, I'd like to see Meshuggah and Dying Fetus replace the two as they've been going solid for years.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 am 

Jesus fucking Christ BRING THIS TO EUROPE!

billboy73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 am 

I think Malevolent Creation could deserve a spot on this bill as well.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
hey you 2 guys before me Morbid Angel and Obituary both kick ass, on records and on the stage. I've seen Morbid twice since they made their last record and they totally kick ass on the stage, they play the 2 or 3 best live tracks from the new album (Existo, Nevermore, Morbid) and everything else from the first 4 albums, sometimes they add Bil Ur Sag from Formulas Fatal To The Flesh. Havent seen Deicide or Suffo live but I take other people's word on how awesome they are. I'd totally go to this show if they come to my hometown.
And I really dont like the current Cannibal Corpse but I can see why they would be on the bill.

I don't really enjoy any material that Morbid Angel have ever put out to any great extent. I've heard every album except Illud at least twice, and it just does next to nothing for me. Altars, Domination, and Formulas are all ok, but there's literally hundreds of better death metal albums in my opinion I'd rather spend my time listening to. I don't dislike them or think they're shit or anything, I just don't enjoy their music.

As for seeing them live, Kreator had them and Nile opening for them on the European Leg of their PA tour, which I would prefer tenfold over Evile and Xentrix, which is what we're getting when they bring the tour here in April. They seem like they would at least be fun live, and I at least sort of know their material. But all I was saying is I would prefer Immolation, as they're probably my favourite death metal band. But as I said, everyone has their own top 5, and mine would probably be (of USDM): Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Immolation, Autopsy and then Obituary probably. You probably would also chop and change one or two. Doesn't mean I wouldn't go and see this lineup if they came here.

Also, how the actual fuck am I the first person to mention Autopsy in this thread?

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:10 pm 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:

Suffo earned their reputation as one of the best live bands out there for a reason. Frank's standup routines (complete with Lawn Guyland accent) and the jazz hands are worth the price of admission alone.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:15 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Replace Oshituary and we'd have an excellent tour

You misspelled Cannibal Corpse.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm 

It's an EXCELLENT idea where EVERY band deserves that spot. I guess people who trash Obituary haven't heard Cause of Death.

I would expand the tour to 7 and add Incantation (with Pillard on vocals as guest) and Immolation to destroy the entire fucking world, both bands deserve the recognition among the greatest death metal bands ever.

Jackoroth wrote:
Even though they aren't big 5, I'd like to see Meshuggah

They are SO death metal...

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:

I don't really enjoy any material that Morbid Angel have ever put out to any great extent. I've heard every album except Illud at least twice, and it just does next to nothing for me. Altars, Domination, and Formulas are all ok, but there's literally hundreds of better death metal albums in my opinion I'd rather spend my time listening to. I don't dislike them or think they're shit or anything, I just don't enjoy their music.

The only problem is that many of those death metal albums you like probably wouldn't exist without Morbid Angel. No matter how much people hates the last album or Dave's ventures into Genitorturers, Morbid Angel is one of the most, if not the most influential death metal act ever. Its influence is ever present, to the point that bands that today are being innovators still features MA elements.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:05 pm 

I'd trade Cannibal Corpse for Autopsy. Adding Incantation and Immolation as Kveldulfr said would make this fucking legendary.
Either way I hope it works out and that they come to Brazil.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:17 pm 

Damn that would be one awesome tour!!

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:33 pm 

Damn too bad no death or possessed. Though death is disbanded and possessed hasn't done shit in years so i guess I can't complain, though this still seem like a badass tour.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 pm 

What an amazing plane of a tour!

I think the only band that could betray the expectations are Deicide. Without the Hoffman twins and Benton who deserts more and more gigs, I see a flop.

Put in their place Terrorizer, and destroying me with Sandoval's blasting! :snipe:

"You make it easy."

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Damn too bad no death or possessed. Though death is disbanded and possessed hasn't done shit in years so i guess I can't complain, though this still seem like a badass tour.

Sorry mate, but I do not think Possessed play the same type of music of Morbid Angel/Cannibal Corpse/Deicide/Obituary/Suffocation.

"You make it easy."

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:50 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:

Sorry mate, but I do not think Possessed play the same type of music of Morbid Angel/Cannibal Corpse/Deicide/Obituary/Suffocation.

Well they are more like proto death metal. Though this still should be an awesome tour, I am totally going.

ancientsgate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:43 pm 

We all know the big four of death metal are Suffocation, Immolation, Incantation and Malevolent Creation.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:55 pm 

Personally, Id go for: Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Deicide, Immolation, and Vital Remains. Too bad there wouldnt be an Ozzfest type thing with different stages, since there's obviously more bands they could do. Vader, Belphegor, maybe even a God Dethroned reunion.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:10 pm 

ancientsgate wrote:
We all know the big four of death metal are Suffocation, Immolation, Incantation and Malevolent Creation.

No it's not. Two of those are likely among my favourite four of death metal, but that's not what a big four is. It's about commercial success and fame, nothing else.

A true big five of death metal would probably be Cannibal Corpse, Death, Morbid Angel, Deicide and Carcass. Those are arguably the most popular bands that were also influental to the genre. Nile might be more popular now than some of them, but came too late to be as legendary as those five.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 pm 

Deicide sold a great deal of records, but didn't influence the entire subgenre of brutal death metal like Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse. Suffocation more or less single-handed created the chugging brutal death metal sound of today, whereas, Deicide relied to heavily on a thrash influence and fell off the radar as soon as they released the classic Legion. Carcass influenced grindcore and perhaps some of the thematic gore imagery of the early music along with Cannibal, it's debatable who had more influence among those two but musically had very little influence on what would become modern death metal.

Under_Starmere wrote:

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
It's about commercial success and fame, nothing else.

Thank you. Finally someone with some sense, :lol:.

Veracs wrote:
Deicide sold a great deal of records, but didn't influence the entire subgenre of brutal death metal like Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse. Suffocation more or less single-handed created the chugging brutal death metal sound of today, whereas, Deicide relied to heavily on a thrash influence and fell off the radar as soon as they released the classic Legion. Carcass influenced grindcore and perhaps some of the thematic gore imagery of the early music along with Cannibal, it's debatable who had more influence among those two but musically had very little influence on what would become modern death metal.

But remember that Deicide's self-titled album came out before both "Effigy of the Forgotten" and "Eaten Back to Life". I wouldn't be surprised at all if the guys in Suffocation were inspired by "Deicide" and took influence from it when writing "Effigy...".

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm 

I doubt it but who knows really, there is no real resemblance between Deicide and Suffocation in terms of sound. Suffocation's music is far more technical and brutal than Deicide ever was in the early days, but the bands took cues from each other and toured more than you'd think. I've never really looked into the bands that influenced Suffocation. If you've got a link for an old interview, I'd be curious

Under_Starmere wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:44 pm 

Marag wrote:
I'd trade Cannibal Corpse for Autopsy. Adding Incantation and Immolation as Kveldulfr said would make this fucking legendary.
Either way I hope it works out and that they come to Brazil.

I'd jizz all over that lineup.

Wait...
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 pm 

I doubt this will happen, but it'd be cool if it did. If I had a time machine, I'd still pick the '06 Masters of Death tour (Entombed/Dismember/Grave/Unleashed) over this, though.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:49 pm 

Even though they aren't a pioneer of Swedeath, I'd add Repugnant to that tour.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:05 pm 

Marag wrote:

...Or Autopsy, Incantation and Immolation could all just go on their own, slightly better tour. Just sayin'.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next