Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:14 am 

Quote:
But hey, it's pretty interesting and if anything reminds me of a crazier Crimson Glory.

That's an interesting comparison. Hadn't made the connection myself, but can see where you're coming from. In any case, it's probably worth giving further listens, there's no albums more metal than Free the Beast.

Quote:
Did I miss it or has the thread so far glossed over the fact that Jag Panzer are playing Keep it True in 2014 with Joey Tafolla?

To be fair, at this point it's probably bigger news if Jag Panzer aren't at KIT.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:03 pm 

Element_man wrote:
Changing the subject, the guys from Wrathblade just directed me to this new Greek Band, SACRAL RAGE. Total USPM worship, this tune is fucking deadly. Sounds like straight-up late 80's USPM, but with a more modern production. Man, these vocals are awesome, total wailing banshee style like early Rick Miyathisin, John Cyriis etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFbb7U62ow

Hey, this is pretty decent. The vocals in particular I really like; crazy, wild, and unhinged. There's a little problem though; the pace. I don't know why, but I believe the song would seriously benefit from going just a bit faster. I have no complaints about anything beyond that. Still, all in all, this is cool. I'll try to keep an eye on these guys.

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 pm 

What other albums by Rage are similar to the Missing Link?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:34 pm 

At the moment I'm listening to Crimson Glory's Strange and Beautiful. Lets hear if it's really as bad as people claim it to be. :p

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:46 pm 

BreedingtheSpawn wrote:
What other albums by Rage are similar to the Missing Link?

Trapped! is in a similar style. So check that one out.

I haven't even heard all of Strange and Beautiful, but 'The Chant' was so fucking terrible that I didn't want to hear the rest. Crimson Glory turned into Kingdom Come? Yuck!

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:25 pm 

Quote:
I haven't even heard all of Strange and Beautiful, but 'The Chant' was so fucking terrible that I didn't want to hear the rest. Crimson Glory turned into Kingdom Come? Yuck!

The title track is good, but the rest - falls off, somewhat. To be fair, it does have more flattering moments than 'The Chant,' and Midnight's vocals do help to redeem the odd section here and there. On the whole, though, it's still not a particularly strong album.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 am 

Two new finds:
Chaos Asylum - British trad heavy metal or speed metal, not quite sure. Sounds a lot like Painkiller though. Think Hibria without the power metal. Terrific vocals and some seasoned musicians.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RffOmBI7j20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmjnTUycxYc

Helker - Heavy/power metal from Argentina. Exceptional vocalist! You miss Dio? Check this out. Sounds like early Masterplan (back when they were good), and a bit of late Lions Share. Top 20 2013-material.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr0O3mLBs4Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D674JznAYZA

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:03 pm 

Helker are badass. They're one of the few Argentinian bands who don't limit themselves to ripping off a bigger name (I'm looking at you, Serpentor!), and they're really cool. Just chunky, hammering riffs, Maiden styled melodies and the awesomeness incarnate that is Diego Valdez. His voice is certainly similar to Dio's, but it's screechier and somewhat warbly too (not that it bothers me). I wasn't aware that they had released a new album though! The new song and the samples sound solid, but I gotta say, Diego's English pronunciation is rather funny :-P I personally prefer him when singing in Spanish, to be honest. He sounds more comfortable, and rawer.

Anyway, to anyone who's interested in them; check out Resistir and A.D.N. If you like heavy/power metal with soaring, muscular vocals (and don't mind modern production jobs or leanings), then those albums are waiting for you.

MetalMarco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:32 pm 

I like this one here. It has a modern sound yet rather melodious:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:23 pm 

Viento y Fuego? How about Vim Fuego?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:54 pm 

Vim..... Fuego?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Vim..... Fuego?

British singer and guitarist.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:24 am 

I am looking for bands in the style of sanctuary, metal church, and iced earth. I really like those old school borderline thrash/proto power metal bands and was wondering if their was anymore bands around with that kind of style.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 am 

Dark empire, Prototype and Paradox are maybe the most obvious examples. Im also always looking for similar bands.

edit : I have to add Striker to this list.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:47 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I am looking for bands in the style of sanctuary, metal church, and iced earth. I really like those old school borderline thrash/proto power metal bands and was wondering if their was anymore bands around with that kind of style.

Oblivion is definitely the first band you need to check out. Sanctuary/early MC style with excellent songwriting. It's the one with the Quest for Power demo. Both demos are excellent though. Also check out Siren's No Place Like Home and Obscene Jester's EP.

Cheeselord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:27 pm 

Give me a Heavy Metal Primer. I've never really listened to this genre, as I pretty much went straight to Thrash and Death Metal. I want kickass riffs, vocals, and solos. My favorite heavy/speed album is Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force, if you want an example of what I like.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:32 pm 

Cheeselord wrote:
Give me a Heavy Metal Primer. I've never really listened to this genre, as I pretty much went straight to Thrash and Death Metal. I want kickass riffs, vocals, and solos. My favorite heavy/speed album is Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force, if you want an example of what I like.

Have some Iron Savior!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm 

Motherfucking Omen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-IKqHNcfE
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 am 

Was wondering if I could get thrown some good instrumental bands (or albums). Something like Daddo or Tiluland, to name what I have (and probably a few others I cannot remember).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:26 pm 

I've just heard the titled track of Manilla's Road Spiral Castle and wow, the riffs on this track sound like they could destroy everything in its path. So damn heavy. Are the rest of the album also in this style? I'd also appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of how their modern works are different from their 80 and 90's albums.

But man. That riff. :eek:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:54 am 

I'd say the title track is the best song on the album, but the rest of it is damn good too - read mine or Emp's review for some more details. I'd say the modern albums are more esoteric and dense than the older ones, at least with SC, GoF, and Voyager. Playground and Mysterium are a bit simpler and more similar to the previous era, albeit generally less aggressive. Hellwell is more along the lines of SC and the lot, for the most part. Keepers of the Devils Inn and the Acheronomicon trilogy are the closest to this, and the best, I'd say - again, read my review for more detail. SC is definitely my favorite of the modern stuff, but Voyager is close behind.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:02 am 

Man, that review of mine is so old. I still feel exactly the same way though. It's a complete masterpiece, and my favorite MR album ever.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:35 pm 

Don Karlos wrote:
Dark empire, Prototype and Paradox are maybe the most obvious examples. Im also always looking for similar bands.

edit : I have to add Striker to this list.

Dark empire and paradox seem pretty awesome so far, though I didn't like the other 2 bands.

xGeneralSureMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:26 pm 

I'm looking for heavy/power/speed metal that has a lot of Ennio Morricone influence.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:59 pm 

Every time I hear Ship of Fools by Vicious Rumors start, I think the band is going to do a Court of the Crimson King cover.

Pathless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:00 pm 

Just coming in here to recommend Voltz's Knights Fall. Truly great NWOBHM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyNUUin6Qgw

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:13 pm 

That intro was unusual. Almost thought I was listening to some black metal at first. But I liked the build-up, the song sounds good! Thanks for sharing!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:49 pm 

Is it just me, or does Mike DiMeo sound an awful lot like Russell Allen?

No seriously, it's fucking uncanny.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:12 pm 

So, my friend started a booking company for shows and such not too long ago. And he's bringing Attacker down for his birthday in August. He also happened to notice my outburst a while back about how Oblivion are back together. Seeing as how he was looking for another oldschool heavy/power metal band to play at the show, it was pretty perfect timing and I said how he should book them and posted the same on Oblivion's facebook page. He got in contact with them and they were down to play and so, that's happening. Come August I'll get to see both Oblivion and Attacker live. Man, I'm excited. Kind of unreal.

Regarding Oblivion, they're evidently working on new material. I wonder how that's going to turn out.

Speaking of Attacker, what do folks here think of their recent album? Apologies if I've missed talk of it. I've not heard it yet myself, but really need to get around to doing that.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:43 am 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
Regarding Oblivion, they're evidently working on new material. I wonder how that's going to turn out.

Holy shit, if they just re-recorded their demo material and threw in a few new songs to pad it out to album-length, I would be on it like ugly on Tim Baker. Maybe it's silly to get excited already, but I can't help it!

Speaking of Attacker, what do folks here think of their recent album? Apologies if I've missed talk of it. I've not heard it yet myself, but really need to get around to doing that.

I haven't spent much time with it yet, but yeah, it sounds very good so far. Definitely not a disappointment.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:33 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Is it just me, or does Mike DiMeo sound an awful lot like Russell Allen?

No seriously, it's fucking uncanny.

Dude, that's eerie. He sounds significantly weaker than Russell himself though.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:14 pm 

Oblivion seem to be fairly active on FB too, interesting... let's just hope they don't pull a Matthias Steele and put out weird rock/metal or something.

New real legit hardcore old school USPM (wtflol) would be amazing.

I haven't gotten around to Attacker's newest... I keep forgetting they're still active too. I'll have to check it out. The other two 2000's releases weren't horrible or groundbreaking, so I could see them maybe turning things around at some point... hmm.

Sampling some of this new Attacker... and wow, yeah this seems legit. It's got Bobby Lucas on vocals whom I'm honestly not huge on, but he sounds pretty good here. Definitely sounds a lot better than Overlorde, which I just can't really get into anymore.

Is this not what new Helstar should sound like or what? This song sounds incredibly similar to some classic Helstar to me, wow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFYefj4WIGs

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:01 pm 

That's indeed quite Helstar-ish if you ask me.

Speaking of Attacker, I'm currently checking some songs of their second album and damn does this rules. Totally riffy uspm. Once I've heard their stuff about 40+ uspm bands I've once heard of but never really paid much attention to are there to check for me. :)

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Holy shit, if they just re-recorded their demo material and threw in a few new songs to pad it out to album-length, I would be on it like ugly on Tim Baker. Maybe it's silly to get excited already, but I can't help it!

My friend who was in contact with them told me that he thinks that the full length is going to be both older and newer stuff, sooo ;)

failsafeman wrote:

I haven't spent much time with it yet, but yeah, it sounds very good so far. Definitely not a disappointment.

The few tracks I sampled seemed solid enough. I definitely need to give the full thing some listens.

Xeogred wrote:
Oblivion seem to be fairly active on FB too, interesting... let's just hope they don't pull a Matthias Steele and put out weird rock/metal or something.

New real legit hardcore old school USPM (wtflol) would be amazing.

Yeah, I expressed concern that it might be something quite different than their old material. Seems to be really hit or miss with these bands reforming out of nowhere and releasing new stuff, haha. I'm sure hoping that it's USPM through and through, though, just as we all are I'm sure!

colin040 wrote:
Once I've heard their stuff about 40+ uspm bands I've once heard of but never really paid much attention to are there to check for me. :)

Same situation here. I put off listening to them for, well, until a few weeks when I knew I'd get to see them live, hahaha. I think that I might like their first album over the second just because it's kinda weird and I really dig the vocals. Second seems solid from my one or two listens, but typically I go for off kilter stuff over straightforward stuff.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:34 pm 

Been awhile since I heard the debut, but yeah it's easy to say their first two are top notch USPM but also quite different. I remember the debut being a bit more epic, Heir Apparent / early Liege Lord like, and the second album is a bit more simplistic and in your face. It's a shame that vocalist on the second passed away, he was pretty damn good. That and the second album is extremely short, it goes by instantly!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:33 am 

Been checking some of the Savatage material that feature Zak Stevens on vocals. ''Edge of Thorns'' and ''The Wake of Magellan'' both fine tracks. Time to investigate more of that era soon. :)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:29 pm 

Very happy to hear that the new Attacker is good. They released some of the best USPM ever imo.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 am 

Does anyone here like Thunderstone?
Been listening to "Tools Of Destruction" lately and it is like a more modern Grave Digger/Tarot. The songs are nothing unique but they are good with what they are...just really heavy, fun power metal songs.

Checking out more of their material soon.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:06 am 

I like it very much, two first, S/T and Burning are great PM in 90's style, latter two are slower and heavier, leaning more into trad, Tools Of Destruction being there in the middle of these styles. Whole catalog is very enjoyable, high quality material, catchy melodies, good musicianship. For Another brilliant Finnish band with some similarities, check Anthriel "Devil's lullaby.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:00 pm 

Crescent Shield all day!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 624  Next