Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SuicidalFreak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:45 am 

Saw it on this group on Facebook called KNAC ROCKS!, a fan-made page dedicated to the Los Angeles heavy metal radio station.

Quote:
It's been almost 20 years since the last At the Gates album was released, the classic one Slaughter of the Soul. They single-handedly trail-blazed the heavy metal genre known as melodic death metal, popularized by not just Carcass, In Flames and Dark Tranquillity, but by At the Gates. In recent years, At the Gates have been back together and their singer Tomas Lindberg recently stated that he wouldn't say "never" to the possibility of the band making a "follow-up" to their 1995 masterpiece, while guitarist Anders Björler keeps saying that he doesn't want to do that, which is pretty sad for all At the Gates fans and the death metal community. If you want some new music from At the Gates, sign this petition.

Here's the link to the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/828/948/561/get-at-the-gates-to-make-a-new-album/

I would love to hear some new ATG music, as long as it's as good as Slaughter of the Soul.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:48 am 

Yeah, trying to push people into making music. THAT will make for some honest and good material.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:17 am 

I understand that petitions are good and all when wanting to get support for something, but really? Really? Musicians are supposed to write out of their passion and because there are ideas on the table, not because a new album has been ordered. (Aside from musicians who produce music to projects etc., where it really is for someone's needs and a soundtrack has been ordered, but you get my point). If the guys are not into it themselves, what is the point? Lindberg might have it in him, but if everyone is not into it, no point. Besides, I only like a few songs on SotS; I would only be excited if I got a continuum of The Red in the Sky Is Ours or something, as unrealistic as that is. ;)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:22 am 

That's a terrible fucking idea and I can't believe people are stupid enough to think that would work/good idea.

Esp how you defeat it immediately.... 'oh I'd love some new material as long as it's on par with what is considered their best work' yea totally no expectations there.

If a bunch of people came up to me and wanted to push me to write for a band I've long since broke up.. I'd either tell them to fuck off or go and write the most trite horrible shit so they will never think about asking again.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:22 am 

I'd say no because I'd rather still enjoy them as an At The Gates cover band rather than have them make shitty music (there's a possibility) and completely desecrate their own image. Besides, 'Slaughter of the Soul' inspired tons of shitty MDM bands...I love the record but it's a fluffy-groovy record. Their stronger potent material is from the first album.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 pm 

Yeah count me in the no column, begging them for more new music will just make for shitty music (worse than Slaughter of the Soul) and nobody wants a shitty album after 20ish years. Now I like Slaughter of the Soul but it isn't this groundbreaking earth shattering CD that ever body makes it out to be and I don't really understand all the worship it gets from people it was way more poppy than melodic death, basically they went all Metallica with this one, IMO. As for an album I would actually like for them to follow up I would definitely say Gardens of Grief, no there was a great release even if it was really dominated by Grotesque (the re-release split is the one I own) those four songs are just frickin great melodic death metal.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 pm 

Dumb!
If there was a petition for Lindberg and Alf Svensson to do something again, I'd consider it.

logan6511
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 pm 

Funny that you mention it, because while looking for any new music for ATG , I was directed to "The Absence" myspace page and I've been a fan of The Absence ever since. I do hear a lot of ATG influence, sound and style in The Absence. Not exactly same band but close enough to keep you busy until a new album comes. And before someone comes and starts saying "how ridiculous my statement are", keep in mind its JUST AN OPINION. We can always agree to disagree.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:37 pm 

I knew one of the guitarists in The Absence from another board. Even bought their first cd. I used to make fun of him for stealing ATG's songs and ruining them. hahaha.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:40 pm 

Seems like a bad idea, if the band isn't motivated to make music because they feel there's music they should be making, then it shouldn't be made.

Slaughter of the Soul was made when these guys were in their early 20s (noted by the "22 years of pain" line) going straight from being teenage metalheads to being leaders of a scene and getting big pretty quickly. Being part of the Swedish scenes at the time shaped the band in a way, and it was certainly a great motivation for ambitious young musicians. They made five releases in five years, moving along and evolving quickly. What led up to the album was this quick evoluton, making do with difficult circumstances in recordings, like not having a car to get to a studio and carrying their amps on a train in garbage bags to get to a studio where they slept on cardboard on the floor and ate cheap noodles during the recording. Fredman was just getting off the ground at the time, the band demanded that he get a 16-track recorder and he took out a loan to do so, after building his studio partly with stuff swiped from a construction site nearby. While AtG were on tour with Seance in England in early 1995, they were robbed and lost the entire advance for the shows they were playing there, and had to borrow money from Seance's record label (Black Mark) - if they didn't pay the money back in a few months, their next record would've been on Black Mark. They worked jobs to pay it back, and they felt that the music they were writing was sort of a revenge album, coming back from that difficulty, being very angry. At the time of the recording, Adrian Erlandsson worked a day job and recorded the drums at night, needing to get everything perfect in one take as there was a startup delay on the recording setup.

Almost 20 years later they're internationally famous, have made many records with various bands, and they have personally evolved in many different directions, away from what really drove At the Gates when they made their famous music. I don't think there's any way it would be the same now, and I know they recognize that.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:09 pm 

Sounds like a great time to circulate a fake At the Gates album. I'm working on the tracklist right now, who wants to do the cover art?

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 pm 

There's enough crappy metalcore as it is.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:33 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
If a bunch of people came up to me and wanted to push me to write for a band I've long since broke up.. I'd either tell them to fuck off or go and write the most trite horrible shit so they will never think about asking again.

I know they never exactly broke up, but this just might be the best explanation for the new Morbid Angel album yet.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:55 pm 

NEVER AGAIN!!!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 pm 

If they brought back Alf Svensson and did something in the vein of The Red in the Sky is Ours/With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, I'd be interested.

If it's going to be another Slaughter of the Soul, fuck it. There's enough clones of that album already and the genre has been completely beaten to death.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:36 pm 

this is the retarded petition ever.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 am 

They do already all the best.
Death Metal don't need this album-reunion.

"You make it easy."

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:09 am 

SuicidalFreak wrote:
Saw it on this group on Facebook called KNAC ROCKS!, a fan-made page dedicated to the Los Angeles heavy metal radio station.

Quote:
It's been almost 20 years since the last At the Gates album was released, the classic one Slaughter of the Soul. They single-handedly trail-blazed the heavy metal genre known as melodic death metal, popularized by not just Carcass, In Flames and Dark Tranquillity, but by At the Gates. In recent years, At the Gates have been back together and their singer Tomas Lindberg recently stated that he wouldn't say "never" to the possibility of the band making a "follow-up" to their 1995 masterpiece, while guitarist Anders Björler keeps saying that he doesn't want to do that, which is pretty sad for all At the Gates fans and the death metal community. If you want some new music from At the Gates, sign this petition.

Here's the link to the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/828/948/561/get-at-the-gates-to-make-a-new-album/

I would love to hear some new ATG music, as long as it's as good as Slaughter of the Soul.

But, that's stupid and, of course, won't happen!

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 am 

I'd much rather hear a new Disfear album with Lindberg. Anybody know what's up with them? It's been a while since Live the Storm came out.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:47 am 

Yeah, let's make another watered down/repetitive as fuck melodeath album but without any conviction, just for the fans! This is stupid and pointless as making a petition for Varg to release Hvis Lyset Tar Oss pt II.

I guess ATG are doing well living from the past, they don't need new material at all.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:07 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:
I'd much rather hear a new Disfear album with Lindberg. Anybody know what's up with them? It's been a while since Live the Storm came out.

Didn't the band ended because the bassist die or something like that?

On-topic: Stupid as fuck petition. People really need to listen more than 3 bands and grow up.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:55 pm 

Just wow...

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:58 pm 

Seeing them live on their farewell tour was good enough.

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:28 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
[ATG story]
Where did you learn all that? Just piecing it together from interviews or is there some definitive At the Gates history out there that I need to read?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm 

w0Lf wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:
[ATG story]
Where did you learn all that? Just piecing it together from interviews or is there some definitive At the Gates history out there that I need to read?

Just watch the first DVD of this pack. It's over 2 hours, covering the whole history of the band from before demo stage up until the 2008 tour. It's pretty awesome really, especially the beer commentary from MDB's vocalist.

Reply to topic