Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Indoomstrial metle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:08 pm 

This thread is for anonymously asking those ratardid questions about tones that make people look at you like you're stupid.

Hello, I am fairly new to music, having played guitar to about two years. Recently, I decided I wanted to start writing music. Particularly stoner/doom metal. I have a fuzz pedal and an EQ and I can get a fairly nice tone, however I can only get that good fuzzy texture at very high volumes and the feedback is fukcing annoying. I think what I want to do is get a volume pedal and use it to strengthen the signal from my guitar to my fuzzy pedal and EQ. Is this a good Idea? What would you reccomend?

Thank you.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm 

Volume pedal isn't going to strengthen the signal. Maybe you should look at boost pedals instead.

You might also want a lower wattage amp or an attenuator so you can get that nice cranked-up high volume type tone at a more bedroom-friendly decibel level.

Also, a noise gate/suppressor can help with that feedback. You can try cutting high frequencies with your EQ to tame the feedback too.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:33 pm 

You should post what gear you're using, it's difficult to give accurate advice if we don't know what guitar/amp you're using.

If you're using a tube amp, you'll need an attenuator to get the "full volume" tone without the full volume loudness.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:36 pm 

Yea if this is going to be a thread on how to get good tones you best supply a list of what we(you) are dealing with so we might be able to advise you. Otherwise my answer would be.... get good gear= good tone.... to a degree. Cause if you don't know how to operate that gear then you are pissing in the wind.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:56 am 

Play better. That's one piece of gear advice that tone freaks don't tell you. Better playing will sound better. That's why Jeff Loomis can make those stupid EMGs sound so awesome.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:09 am 

somefella wrote:
Better playing will sound better.

Boy, that is one golden nugget of wisdom.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:54 am 

I used to wonder why my old practice amp couldn't give me that chuggy swedish death metal tone, and bought and sold lots of pedals and pickups in a hunt for a better sound. But after the daily whipping sessions by my bandmates after I joined in, I could make the same old piece of shit sound pretty close to something like Into The Grave or Clandestine. As cheesy as it sounds, it's true. Your hands make 90% of your tone. Tony Iommi got Brian May to play through the former's rig, and it STILL sounded like Queen.

Indoomstrial metle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:49 pm 

My guitar is an Ibanez Gio and my amp is an Ibanez GTA5R. My Pedals are a danelectro D-7 and the Behringer EQ700.

I would not consider "Play better" to be useful advice. Maybe tips on how to play better. But simply telling me to be a better musician is not helpful.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:58 pm 

You didn't ask advice how to play better, that's what the guitar player's thread is for. and I agree with somefella, I went through the same thing as he did when I first started and slowly was able to work my way to what I wanted to sound like. After that, the gear was to tweak it to my own needs

that danelectro.. you can throw away I used to have a bunch their stuff and really it's not that great it really just made things turn to mush more so.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:54 pm 

Some good basic tones with an amp like that are based around 1/3-2/3-3/3 tone settings with the bass, mid, and treble. Try have each knob turned at one of those amounts until you find one you like, so for example, turn the bass to 2/3, the mid to 3/3, and the treble to 1/3. That's where you should start.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:28 am 

Actually, play better is probably the best advice I can give you. There's a reason why Lord K Philipson or Ela Lindgren would sound better on your own gear than you do. Conversely, give a novice $10000 to spend on gear and he will still sound like shit. Effects are to help you shape your sound, rather than a magic wand that will transform muddy riffing or dirty shredding into virtuoso playing.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am 

Play better is the best way to get good tone.

But having a good bassist helps.

Reply to topic