:nazi: *snicker* :nazi:

(sorry)

>_>

Spoiler: show
Ugh. Fine. I'll get back at you...soon. :old:

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 pm 

Recently been watching The Oblongs and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's not laugh out loud funny but it makes me chuckle more than most cartoons - I think because of the quirky/adult humour, it's sort of got a Ren and Stimpy quality although it's nowhere near as gross. I would say Helga and Bob Oblong (voiced be Will Ferrell) are my favourite characters, but the random shit Creepy Susie says leaves me in stitches. I like the poor vs rich commentary that runs throughout, and the humour is mostly related to the sheer rotten depths that being poor can go. I wished I had watched all the episodes when it first aired but I didn't see the appeal back then, The Simpsons was still going strong and I was devoted to it, it was also on at some ridiculous time.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:22 am 

Yeah Oblongs was quite a smart, unique show. I enjoyed the socio-political themes, and found the voice acting to be of high calibre. I've had all the episodes since it came out and always wondered what it'd be like if they managed to scare up another season or two. I think it would have eventually found an audience. Most people just didn't have a chance to check it out before it was canned.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 am 

Oblongs is a single-season show that, for reasons I genuinely don't understand, literally never gets old for me.

I've seen every episode numerous times, and nothing about them is new or surprising, yet I somehow still manage to get excited when I catch it on TV.
It soothes me.

Same goes for Mission Hill, though my "relationship" with that show is a bit more, uh, "cathartic" in that Oblongs "relaxes" me, but MH actually kind of makes me feel more nostalgic/emotional/something.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:05 pm 

Just watched one and a half seasons of Breaking Bad. God damn this show rules. I love every aspect of it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 pm 

Cleopatra 2525

:scratch:

And yeah, that's Gina Torres (Zoe in Firefly) on vocals.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm 

Oh hell yes. It looks like there will be another season of The Boondocks coming soon!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:01 am 

I came across another series called 'The IT Crowd'. I am contemplating watching all four seasons of it soon. Any recommendations for or against this show?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:34 pm 

It's okay. Certainly not bad, but it rarely elevates itself above standard laughtracked, multi-camera sitcom fare. Watchable for Ayoade alone, though.

If you liked The Inbetweeners, you absolutely owe it to yourself to check out Fresh Meat. The first season is very good (although the first two or three episodes are quite weak); the second is the greatest British comedy series since Green Wing (although not really comparable, of course). Joe Thomas, who played Simon in The Inbetweeners, is so, so much better here, probably because he isn't shoehorned into a one-dimensional caricature. If you live in the US, you can watch it on Hulu Free... although most of it is uploaded to YouTube anyway.

It's almost depressing how much better Fresh Meat is than 98% of modern cinema...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:56 pm 

Season 2 is flawless.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 am 

darkeningday wrote:
It's okay. Certainly not bad, but it rarely elevates itself above standard laughtracked, multi-camera sitcom fare. Watchable for Ayoade alone, though.

If you liked The Inbetweeners, you absolutely owe it to yourself to check out Fresh Meat. The first season is very good (although the first two or three episodes are quite weak); the second is the greatest British comedy series since Green Wing (although not really comparable, of course). Joe Thomas, who played Simon in The Inbetweeners, is so, so much better here, probably because he isn't shoehorned into a one-dimensional caricature. If you live in the US, you can watch it on Hulu Free... although most of it is uploaded to YouTube anyway.

Aah, thanks! I don't know if you remember my earlier posts but yes I enjoyed the Inbetweeners a fair bit. I'll definitely check out Fresh Meat and Green Wing.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 am 

darkeningday wrote:

It's almost depressing how much better Fresh Meat is than 98% of modern cinema...
As much as Fresh Meat sucks, you're still probably right.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I came across another series called 'The IT Crowd'. I am contemplating watching all four seasons of it soon. Any recommendations for or against this show?

It's not bad, but watch Black Books instead. If you know it already, well then awesome.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:15 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
shouvince wrote:

It's not bad, but watch Black Books instead. If you know it already, well then awesome.

Nothing beats Brit-comedy when done right. I haven't heard of this show, I'll take note of it and remember to check it out. Thanks!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

As much as Fresh Meat sucks, you're still probably right.

Did you watch the second season?

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 am 

shouvince wrote:

It's okay. One of my least favourite sitcoms but certainly not bad. 'The Speech' episode from season 3 is genuinely hilarious though.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:29 pm 

Second half of season 3 of Walking Dead tonight. Cannot wait!

Frightful_Boar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:36 am 

Walking Dead keeps my interest by making the characters so unlikeable that I can't wait until they get killed.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm 

As I've mentioned before, I don't watch many popular shows... Well, today I got roped into watching 4 fucking hours of Dexter with my grandma (season 2, which is damn old, and it's not even a show I care about... the fact that I am watching 6-year-old episodes just made this more bothersome).

So, okay, after 4 hours, I got interested enough in the story to pay attention... but, holy fucking shit, Dexter's sister Deb is the most annoying, scripted character I have ever seen in any show. SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY.

I dunno if I can stomach being made to watch this show just to indulge my grandmother if it means putting up with such an obnoxious character... The ever-so-phony but oh-so-edgy schtick got old after one episode, and it grates on me immensely after four to the point where even her stupid, squinty, smirking face annoys me...

Please tell me she dies.

IDK. Maybe I am just grouchy today due to inadequate rest or something, but I still cannot stand this character...

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm 

Ray, you really remind me of Deb.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:36 am 

Haha. lolirony

Deb is awesome, and her haters can die in a fire.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 am 

The acting isn't that great in season 1, but her character is still good and, over time, she becomes one of the best actors on the show I think.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:02 am 

OMG. I am not like her... :(

I don't say fuck to be edgy, I say fuck because I AM EDGY!!!

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:35 pm 

Hating on the Foul Mouthed Princess? :o Come on, now! :annoyed:
I loved Deb from the first. She was lovably awkward and yet so carefree at the same time. Plus the shit she spouts sometimes really cracks me up! Like...
Shit a brick and fuck me with it!

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 pm 

Has it become apparent to anyone else how bland the new season of Community is? It's been utterly neutered now.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:00 am 

You're implying Community was ever not bland? How droll.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:08 pm 

Maybe it was, but it at least did a few things differently. Now they've eliminated all of those things and it's become a typical shitty sitcom.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:18 pm 

Maybe it's because of the fact that the creator of the series Dan Harmon isn't involved anymore. I haven't seen the new episodes yet, but I heard some bad things. It's a shame, I really like Community.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:17 pm 

https://twitter.com/colinmochrie/status ... 3267862528

All of my YES YES YES YES YES!

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:37 pm 

Subrick wrote:
https://twitter.com/colinmochrie/status/307490163267862528

All of my YES YES YES YES YES!

YESSSSSSSSS

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:24 am 

Ah, yes. That's great.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:52 am 

Apparently it'll be on the CW with the original lineup of Wayne, Ryan, Colin, and a rotating fourth chair. Drew won't be hosting, presumably because The Price is Right is his main focus. Instead, Aisha Tyler will be the host.

Not sure how to feel about the host change since I've never actually watched Aisha Tyler's comedy stuff, plus the original show's lineup plus Drew was spot on. Still, she used to host Talk Soup, so she can't be too terribly unfunny.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:10 pm 

Subrick wrote:
plus Drew was spot on.

:ugh:
I can't even watch the American Whose Line thanks to the anti-humor base pop Drew Corney almost solely appeals to. While I'm not familiar with Aisha Tyler (on any level, really), there's literally no way she could be any worse than Drew, so I consider this a win on all levels.

Still very much doubt it will surpass the British original or any of the brilliant improv comedy shows it spawned (Would I Lie To You, Mock the Week, etc...). In general, educated Brits are just so much funnier than their American counterparts; doubt this will be changing anytime ever.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:45 pm 

There's this new original tv series starting tomorrow. It's called 'Vikings'. Here's the trailer to the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmSiRJZEco

It seems alright so I might just give it a watch to feed my curiosity.

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:51 am 

Lately it's Red Dwarf all the time and nothing else.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:16 am 

Anyone else excited for Hannibal, Bryan Fuller's take on the Thomas Harris series? I'm actually not a fan of Harris or any of the film adaptations outside of Manhunter, but I simply can't see how the mixture of Bryan Fuller's unrivaled genius (if you discount that horrible Munsters remake, that is) and the acting powerhouses of Mads Mikkelsen, Hugh Dancy, Laurence Fishburne and Caroline Dhavernas could provide anything less than stellar results. But we'll know for sure April 4th, I guess.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:18 am 

I'm tentatively intrigued. Same deal with Bates Motel.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 am 

Yeah, that looks potentially great as well. I'd usually be way more psyched for Bates (because Hitchcock > Harris and A&E >>>>> NBC), but Bryan Fuller's involvement just kicks Hannibal into outer orbit because everything that man has done turns to platinum (barring his work on the abysmal Heroes and the aforementioned Munsters remake, of course). Freddie Highmore was quite a good child actor in Toast, though, and I've never had a real problem with Vera Farmiga either.

It looks like I may actually be watching TV semi-regularly this semester! Shit's cray.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:39 am 

I actually never saw anything Fuller was involved with :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 182  Next