Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:52 pm 

I haven't decided on my official stance re: genre capitalization. I'm trying out both and seeing how it feels.

BastardHead, is the new Bad Religion as bad as I imagine it is?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:55 pm 

Napero wrote:
I'm getting an allergic reaction to the capitalized genres on these boards these days. It looks soooo retarded. Any ideas on how to stop this crap? Anyone?

But it just doesn't feel right, man. I think there should be more focus on "Bolt Thrower are amazing" or "Bolt Thrower is amazing."

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:32 pm 

"Is". What's the difficult part here?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
BastardHead, is the new Bad Religion as bad as I imagine it is?

It sure as hell isn't the "back to the roots" album that Brett Gurewitz was talking up, but it's not bad. Definitely better than The Dissent of Man, that's for sure. It's basically the same style they've been working with ever since Gurewitz rejoined, just faster overall with more short songs. Think The Process of Belief with bits of New Maps of Hell. At the very least, "Fuck You" and "Nothing to Dismay" are great songs.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:38 pm 

hmm, I might check it out in that case. I decided that if it was gonna be another album of boring radio rock like DoM I wouldn't bother, but this info is encouraging.

Oh man, Nothing to Dismay is awesome. I should make a mix of worthwhile post-Generator BR songs.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:44 pm 

Oh yeah, it has a lot more of their mid-late era spirit than Dissent of Man, which had precisely two songs in line with what made them so good in the first place (those being "The Day that the Earth Stalled" and "The Resist Stance"). The only honestly full-on bad song on True North that I can point to is "Hello Cruel World", and I'm not much a fan of "Dharma and the Bomb" either. But "My Head is Full of Ghosts", "The Island", "Vanity", "In Their Hearts is Right", and especially the two I mentioned earlier are definitely worth additions to their catalog. It's overall kinda disappointing since Brett talked it up like they were going back to the No Control days, but it's not bad. About as good as The Process of Belief I'd say.

EDIT:
Quote:
Oh man, Nothing to Dismay is awesome. I should make a mix of worthwhile post-Generator BR songs.

I'd be down with that. They have a lot of great stuff that kind of gets swept under the rug because the direction they went in wasn't all that great. Really, The Gray Race deserves more love, that one is just as good as Generator to me. "Cease" is one of my favortie BR tracks.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm 

Yeah, for me, post-Generator they're a great example of a singles/songs band (probably the best example other than post-IRS REM). I think the only one from those years I would actually call a quality album is Stranger Than Fiction, and maybe Empire Strikes First, but idk, I haven't listened to that one in a long time.

The Gray Race never quite did it for me, it's certainly decent overall, but I remember being bored by about half of it. But yeah, Cease is great (I love this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2A_zn3IbJk), in addition to Punk Rock Song, and Parallel. Man, as I'm writing this, I'm realizing I don't remember it as well as I thought. I think I'm gonna revisit these albums soon.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 pm 

I'm not sure if I should get hammered tonight with my friends or go to bed at a decent hour for work tomorrow.

Decisions, decisions.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
I'm not sure if I should get hammered tonight with my friends or go to bed at a decent hour for work tomorrow.

Decisions, decisions.

I'll get hammered tonight and I have a class at 8:30 tomorrow but wooo, mid semester party!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 pm 

iAm wrote:
So I'll be going to Reno this weekend and a friend of mine is supposedly getting free tickets to Exhumed and Phobia! That'll be twice I've seen them on this tour. Even though they got a new singer Phobia is still way bad ass.

Make sure to shoot a man. Just to watch him die.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 pm 

Re: Bad Religion: I side with Stranger Than Fiction over Gray Race, but GR is definitely a good album. I'd call that the last good one they've put out, but I haven't heard True North, so I dunno.

I think I might have a serious problem with The Residents, though. I've got ten of their albums, and I just ordered two more on a whim. And I'm not even talking all the "classic" albums, either; I just got the freakin' Cube E live album! I'm reading the Bad Day On The Midway book! I'm listening to Wormwood right now! Seriously, ever since the concert, it's just been Residents day and night. Maybe I just finally snapped.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 pm 

The Residents are awesome, I have a few of their cds: Duck stab/buster and glen, Eskimo, Third reich and roll, Mark of the mole. Today I just received their
25th anniversary 4 cd box set Our Tired, Our Poor, Our Huddled Masses in the mail since I found it on Amazon cheaply, got lots of listening ahead of me. :hyper:

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:30 pm 

Woah, when did Xentrix get back together?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 pm 

Man, I had a short nap today, and I had a fuck awful nightmare that woke me up from it. I can't remember clearly what it was about, but it was very claustrophobic and confusing. Fuck that shit.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:45 pm 

^ Did you happen to watch that gore/horror-movie you guys were talking about in the movie thread? Regarding dreams, I've not been able to recall any of them in the past couple of weeks :(

Adriankat: Any good? I've heard of them but never listened to their music.

In other news, Lock Up have a single out called 'Infinite in its nothingness'.
https://soundcloud.com/decibelmagazine/ ... ite-in-its

The vocals seem slightly drowned out. Anyway, on their records I preferred Tagtgren over Tomas Lindberg.

Fast_Kill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
iAm wrote:
So I'll be going to Reno this weekend and a friend of mine is supposedly getting free tickets to Exhumed and Phobia! That'll be twice I've seen them on this tour. Even though they got a new singer Phobia is still way bad ass.

Make sure to shoot a man. Just to watch him die.

Fuck yeah Jhonny Cash!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 pm 

shouvince wrote:
^ Did you happen to watch that gore/horror-movie you guys were talking about in the movie thread? Regarding dreams, I've not been able to recall any of them in the past couple of weeks :(

No man, I'm yet to watch Megan is Missing. I don't know, 'twas just a nightmare. I don't have them often, but when I have them, they tend to be rather unsettling.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:58 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
The Residents are awesome, I have a few of their cds: Duck stab/buster and glen, Eskimo, Third reich and roll, Mark of the mole. Today I just received their
25th anniversary 4 cd box set Our Tired, Our Poor, Our Huddled Masses in the mail since I found it on Amazon cheaply, got lots of listening ahead of me. :hyper:
Nice find on that box set! They're not all that cheap usually. I still need all of the Mole trilogy and 3rd Reich, but here's what I do have:
-Fingerprince (CD reissue w/Babyfingers)
-Eskimo (digibook)
-Duck Stab (digibook)
-Commercial Album
-Residue Deux
-Wormwood
-Demons Dance Alone (sadly, only the 1xCD version)
-The Bunny Boy
-Bad Day On The Midway (recent reissue)
-Mush-Room (the collaboration with Needcompany)

and I've got Meet The Residents and the aforementioned Cube-E/3 EZ Parts live thing coming in. SHOULD have grabbed the Snakefinger albums at the concert, though! Didn't realize they were going for so much. Hopefully they'll hit the internet after the tour.

Speaking of which, you should DEFINITELY see them live if you have the chance. See them every time live. They still put on one fucking hell of a show, even if the spectacle isn't quite as bombastic as the Mole Show was.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 pm 

shouvince wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT4KJc0xths

Pretty much a good thrash band in the style of Metallica and Testament.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:28 am 

shouvince wrote:

The vocals seem slightly drowned out. Anyway, on their records I preferred Tagtgren over Tomas Lindberg.

I can't stand Lindberg in general, not anymore at least, when I was younger I used to love At the Gates and thought he was the shit. Now days I can't hardly listen to anything he's in as his voice just grates my nerves especially live recordings he's just fucking awful.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:25 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
I haven't decided on my official stance re: genre capitalization. I'm trying out both and seeing how it feels.

Ah, trying to make an "informed decision after exploring both sides of the argument?" Good luck with that. Have you already decided on your stance on vaccinations and evolution? There are two sides to every truth, if you keep your mind open, you know.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:10 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
shouvince wrote:

No man, I'm yet to watch Megan is Missing. I don't know, 'twas just a nightmare. I don't have them often, but when I have them, they tend to be rather unsettling.

Yeah, fuck nightmares. Cat videos can be a possible cure.

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
shouvince wrote:

I can't stand Lindberg in general, not anymore at least, when I was younger I used to love At the Gates and thought he was the shit. Now days I can't hardly listen to anything he's in as his voice just grates my nerves especially live recordings he's just fucking awful.

He used to be the shit. He's done some fine work but to pull off something that Lock Up stands for is a bit doubtful to me. He's good for stuff like Disfear...you know, the crusty grate-y material.

Adriankat wrote:
shouvince wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT4KJc0xths

Pretty much a good thrash band in the style of Metallica and Testament.

Thanks for the mention then. I'll check them out.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:56 am 

Metantoine wrote:
GuntherTheUndying wrote:

Decisions, decisions.

I'll get hammered tonight and I have a class at 8:30 tomorrow but wooo, mid semester party!

I'll get moderately inebriated and have band practice at 10:00 tomorrow. It's the lite version.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 am 

Napero just reminded me..... Is that whole vaccination paranoia in the US of A taken seriously? As in, do these people really think that vaccines are evil or some shit?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 am 

It's not only the US. It's parts of Europe to. If I remember correctly about a year ago their was a big vaccination campaign in the Netherlands that could seriously help to prevent womb cancer. But then there was some sort of bogus anti-vaccination movement that caused a significant percentage of people to decide to not get the vaccination. The vaccination was for little girls by the way, so it were the parents that decided against it.

Last edited by henkkjelle on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 am 

There are some people that look at the vaccination stuff and are worried about it, Xl. The biggest fear you hear about are the arguments against immunizing small children because it might lead to autism (which there is basically no evidence of).

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:12 am 

Isn't autism pretty much all genetics?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 am 

Vaccinations..... Causing..... Autism? Have these people won a freakin' Darwin Award yet? Fuck's sake.

Time to spin some Anaal Nathrakh and weep for humanity for a few minutes, I guess.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:18 am 

I'll just point out your sig......

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:20 am 

The problem is they don't kill themselves by subscribing to that stupid theory. They kill their children.

There are two people who I feel most deserve a solid kick in the teeth for spreading this drivel. One is Jenny McCarthy, former Playboy playmate and terrible actress, current loudmouthed moron, who peddles the vaccine thing because she thinks it gave her son autism (after she briefly claimed that he was a psychic). The other is Oprah, who has given McCarthy (and a heap of other quacks and cranks) a podium from which to spew her dangerous beliefs into the minds of soccer moms the world over.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:23 am 

Also the HPV vaccine was an issue in the US because of religious types feeling that vaccinating children against and std that often causes cancer is basically like a medical condom and therefore would also cause sexual activity/sin/etc. I am with The_Beast_in_Black 100% on how McCarthy is a huge problem along with Oprah in general with stuff similar to this. Check out this website: http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/A ... /Home.html

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:32 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
The problem is they don't kill themselves by subscribing to that stupid theory. They kill their children.

That's the worst part, yes. Little kids aren't guilty of the fact that their parents are completely fucked in the head.
Apteronotus wrote:
Also the HPV vaccine was an issue in the US because of religious types feeling that vaccinating children against and std that often causes cancer is basically like a medical condom and therefore would also cause sexual activity/sin/etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Always count on the ignorant, dogmatic bigots to spread their stupidity. Shit, this whole thing would be hilarious if the lives of children weren't in danger, as proved by that link you posted, Apteronotus.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 am 

Quote:
Vaccinations..... Causing..... Autism? Have these people won a freakin' Darwin Award yet? Fuck's sake.

Time to spin some Anaal Nathrakh and weep for humanity for a few minutes, I guess.

Works a charm for me.

As far as I know, a doctor (in the UK, I think?) published findings linking the MMR vaccine with autism, but they were later found to be false, and he's since been fairly thoroughly fined, lost his license, and other things.

There are certain vaccines, I believe, which can cause brain-damage in a very small number of cases, but my logic is, if you think that outweighs the benefits of the vaccine itself, you probably don't have to worry too much about brain-damage.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Has anyone heard the new Nick Cave album yet? If so, what do you think?

It's pretty mellow and growing on me gradually. The "Jubilee Street" sequence is simply sublime.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm 

FIGHT 'TIL THE DEATH, EEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUAUGH!

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:05 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Quote:

Works a charm for me.

As far as I know, a doctor (in the UK, I think?) published findings linking the MMR vaccine with autism, but they were later found to be false, and he's since been fairly thoroughly fined, lost his license, and other things.

There are certain vaccines, I believe, which can cause brain-damage in a very small number of cases, but my logic is, if you think that outweighs the benefits of the vaccine itself, you probably don't have to worry too much about brain-damage.

It's a classic free rider problem complicated by uncertainty. While we know their is a genetic component to autism, its triggering mechanisms aren't as well understood as say certain cancers. The rising incidence of autism scares the fuck out of new parents and there is little in you power to control your child's probability of developing it. Those that are most risk averse have an incentive to avoid unknowns like a poorly understood (by the parent) new vaccine or vaccines anecdotally linked to autism and rely on herd immunity for their child. It makes perfect sense if the class of people avoiding the perceived risks is small enough to maintain herd immunity, free riding off the vaccination of the vast majority of the rest of the population. The problem is when nuts like Jenny McCarthy start promoting and popularizing the behavior and the rate of vaccination falls too drastically we end up with rising rates of Measles and Mumps infection.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:09 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

That's the worst part, yes. Little kids aren't guilty of the fact that their parents are completely fucked in the head.
Apteronotus wrote:
Also the HPV vaccine was an issue in the US because of religious types feeling that vaccinating children against and std that often causes cancer is basically like a medical condom and therefore would also cause sexual activity/sin/etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Always count on the ignorant, dogmatic bigots to spread their stupidity. Shit, this whole thing would be hilarious if the lives of children weren't in danger, as proved by that link you posted, Apteronotus.

Lol, how hypocritical, questioning the profits first practices of pharmaceutical companies doesn't equate with fucked in the head, nor does noticing the large number of shitty drugs the industry produces indicate ignorance or dogmatic bs. Eating up propaganda (Despite what side it comes from) can certainly lead to those, like Napero said, there are two sides to every truth if you keep an open mind.

And just because I am sure someone will incorrectly take this as an attack against modern medicine, please, shut up before you make a fool of yourself...

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:37 pm 

There are two people who I feel most deserve a solid kick in the teeth for spreading this drivel. One is Jenny McCarthy, former Playboy playmate and terrible actress, current loudmouthed moron, who peddles the vaccine thing because she thinks it gave her son autism (after she briefly claimed that he was a psychic). The other is Oprah, who has given McCarthy (and a heap of other quacks and cranks) a podium from which to spew her dangerous beliefs into the minds of soccer moms the world over.

I. FUCKING. HATE. JENNY. MCCARTHY. I only wish the worst for her. No human that fucking stupid should be allowed to talk.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm 

Byrain wrote:
Lol, how hypocritical, questioning the profits first practices of pharmaceutical companies doesn't equate with fucked in the head, nor does noticing the large number of shitty drugs the industry produces indicate ignorance or dogmatic bs. Eating up propaganda (Despite what side it comes from) can certainly lead to those, like Napero said, there are two sides to every truth if you keep an open mind.

And just because I am sure someone will incorrectly take this as an attack against modern medicine, please, shut up before you make a fool of yourself...

There aren't two sides to this. If you question reliable medical procedures based on nothing but anecdotes and your own personal bias, then your logic is clearly fucking flawed. Sure, as said by someone else, the triggering mechanisms of autism aren't completely understood yet, but linking it to vaccination with no scientific evidence whatsoever to back your claim is absurd to say the least. You believe that vaccination may hurt kids? Prove it. Otherwise, you're endangering the lives of innocent children for nothing.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:21 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Woah, when did Xentrix get back together?

WOAH WOAH WOAH when the fuck?
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 816, 817, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822 ... 827  Next