Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 pm 

On the subject of King Diamond horror stories, I'd say that my favorite one is the aforementioned The Puppet Master (plus, I really like the album itself). Very gruesome, disturbing, and visceral, but with an edge of sadness and melancholy. In fact, I believe it's not unlike something that Clive Barker would write.

You know what? It'd be awesome if more heavy metal bands wrote conceptual albums built around spooky tales. As shown by KD, if done well, it can lead to very satisfying results.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:09 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
You know what? It'd be awesome if more heavy metal bands wrote conceptual albums built around spooky tales. As shown by KD, if done well, it can lead to very satisfying results.

I know, right? I'm also super gay for Abigail, especially "Black Horsemen," which contains my favorite solo of all time (the outro). The story in that album is just classic, too. Someone (competent) should adapt it into either a movie or a short series.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:43 pm 

Them, Conspiracy and Abigail are my favourites. His lyrics are just awesome on those three.

Priest, do you remember King the LOONY ONE?
The one who killed his grandma, up on the HILLLLLLLL
Yes I do!

And there are a plethora of other lines that scream awespmeness.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:04 pm 

no_friends wrote:
Looking for power metal similar to Riot 'Thundersteel' and Tony Martin Black Sabbath...any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0PNw9S4EM
:-D

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 am 

no_friends wrote:
Looking for power metal similar to Riot 'Thundersteel' and Tony Martin Black Sabbath...any suggestions?

How about CLOVEN HOOF - "A Sultan's Ransom" or WITCH CROSS - "Fit for Fight"?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:49 am 

I can't really get into any King Diamond album after The Eye. :( I might have to try harder, though.

no_friends
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:13 am 

How about CLOVEN HOOF - "A Sultan's Ransom" or WITCH CROSS - "Fit for Fight"?[/quote]
Temple Of Blood wrote:
How about CLOVEN HOOF - "A Sultan's Ransom" or WITCH CROSS - "Fit for Fight"?

Perfect, thanks!

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:05 am 

Hey Temple whats going on with the new album? If you don't mind me asking.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:50 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I can't really get into any King Diamond album after The Eye. :( I might have to try harder, though.

The Graveyard is really good! Incredibly dramatic and not as tight as the records before it.

My favorite overall though is The Puppet Master which I find incredibly sensitive to mood and well delivered, every nuance, every phrase. Strong songwriting and very dynamic.

Abigail is a masterpiece, of course. Never gets old and I like "Them" too but songs like "Tea" and the intro to "Welcome Home"
Spoiler: show
GRANDMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :lol: :lol: :lol:
make me laugh more than creep me out.

Question about "Omens" off "Abigail", does anyone else notice the blatant thievery of the "Satan's Fall" riff.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
Question about "Omens" off "Abigail", does anyone else notice the blatant thievery of the "Satan's Fall" riff.

I've always thought that riff sounded like Immigrant Song.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:38 pm 

Guys this song reminds me some other:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ttNmcwh3qA
I think the refrain has some melody I have heard elsewhere - anybody can help me out of this?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:29 pm 

rawsewage wrote:
Hey Temple whats going on with the new album? If you don't mind me asking.

Hey man, it's going slowly but surely. We've had some big setbacks. Our rhythm guitarist just quit so I have to record all the rhythms. That's OK though because I wrote all the songs anyway. I just need to practice them and get them up to speed again. Drums are done, working on guitars now ...

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
iAmDisturbed wrote:

I've always thought that riff sounded like Immigrant Song.

They both do. The main riff of "Satan's Fall" is a slightly altered and much sped up version of the one from "Immigrant Song". In turn, the intro/break riff of "Omens" is a slightly slowed down and much altered variant of the one from "Satan's Fall".

'Abigail' is easily my favorite KD album. Granted, nothing will ever top 'Don't Break the Oath', but this is as close as it gets to matching it.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:27 am 

"Them"!
I love all the songs and the playing is the best the band has ever been. King Diamond is a great storyteller and somehow his horror tales always capture my attention even though it tended to get formulaic with his later albums. In The Graveyard and The Puppet Master, his character is on a mission of some sort, always driven by love. And there's a damsel in distress always. Lucy in The Graveyard and Victoria in The Puppet Master. Not very original there, King.

Abigail on the other hand still retains its freshness to this day and the sequel was great too.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:05 am 

mudrnudl wrote:
Guys this song reminds me some other:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ttNmcwh3qA
I think the refrain has some melody I have heard elsewhere - anybody can help me out of this?

I have found out myself. It is this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00edr0S06nQ

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:16 am 

I actually think Abigail is pretty overrated. It's still really good, but everyone seems to put it on this high pedestal, far above the rest of his solo material, and I just don't agree. I'd put Fatal Portrait, Abigail, Conspiracy, and The Eye on the same level, and maybe even one of the best of the later ones like The Spider's Lullaby or Voodoo too. I think Abigail still has a lot of leftover popularity as it was definitely the most timely of his albums.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:47 pm 

For me Abigail receives "pedestal status" because it's one of those albums that I refuse to put on with any distractions. It feels very "whole" or "complete", and I get that same complete emotional drain when it's over. I fucking LOVE Fatal Portrait, The Eye, and Conspiracy, but I don't get that same transcendent feeling from them.

I've actually been jamming Time a lot these past few weeks. I'd argue that it's better than a gang of KD's 90s works. It's not overlong, has a solid guitar tone, isn't caged to any specific concept, and in general seems to be written with extreme catchiness in mind.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:05 pm 

My favorite King Diamond album is that one with the ghost/horror story and high pitched wails. You know which one I'm talking about, right?

Honestly, I love Melissa and DBTO. Melissa for it's dated yet timeless 70s sound and DBTO for it's cavernous and hellish atmosphere. I never really cared for Fatal Portrait. It's not bad by any means, but it sounds like a band that's a bit unsure of what it wants to do. Which is odd considering 3/5 of the group were already in MF for a number of years. Abigail really is a classic in all sense of the word. The solo that closes out the album is one of my favorites of all time. Them I like, but Conspiracy ranks much higher for me. It might not have GRANDMAAAA, but I think it's stronger overall. The Eye is great and I enjoy the rest for what they are. Some are better than others, the only real standout for me is the Puppet Master. Love that one too. Has it really been almost 6 years since King released an album? I know he's had his health problems, but it still feels strange considering he had a pretty consistent release schedule until 2003.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 pm 

Oh, I just assumed we were all skipping over the two legendary albums because everyone loves them. Don't Break the Oath may be the most perfect of all albums. Come to the Sabbath never ceases to amaze me.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:53 pm 

It was 'conspiracy' that finally got me into KD/MF. Something about that album pulled me right in. But it is amusing to me how I first enjoyed the homage bands before the real deal.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Oh, I just assumed we were all skipping over the two legendary albums because everyone loves them. Don't Break the Oath may be the most perfect of all albums. Come to the Sabbath never ceases to amaze me.

Well yeah, I don't really count the first two MF albums in the same category as later MF releases, even though some of them are really good. They're closer to KD solo material, I think.

WaywardSon wrote:
I never really cared for Fatal Portrait. It's not bad by any means, but it sounds like a band that's a bit unsure of what it wants to do. Which is odd considering 3/5 of the group were already in MF for a number of years.

I've heard a lot of people say that Fatal Portrait sounds tentative or whatever, and I really just don't agree. The songwriting is simpler than in Abigail and the subsequent albums (especially Conspiracy), but it's also a fuck of a lot catchier. It's very stripped-down compared to the later, more ambitious material, and in this case it makes it more effective I think. Just speaking personally here, I can put on any Fatal Portrait song at any time and immediately be rocking the fuck out, while for pretty much every other King Diamond albums I have to be in a certain mood and concentrate somewhat during listening because of the story or the whole thing just fades into the background. On the other hand the hooks in Fatal Portrait are just gigantic and COMMAND me to ROCK no matter what I'm doing. Nothing about it seems half-baked at all, it's just a bit of a transition between the catchier, simpler, song-oriented Mercyful Fate albums and the later, more conceptual and complex KD solo material. Sometimes transition works against a band, but in this case I think it actually works out in Fatal Portrait's favor, giving it the best of both worlds.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Nothing about it seems half-baked at all, it's just a bit of a transition between the catchier, simpler, song-oriented Mercyful Fate albums and the later, more conceptual and complex KD solo material.

I wouldn't say King Diamond is more complex than the first two Mercyful Fate albums, myself. I consider stuff like 'The Oath' and 'Satan's Fall' to be a fair bit more complex than any KD stuff I can think of. That, and the fact that MF tend to put 4 times as many riffs in any given song when compared to anyone else (or at least it seems that way). King Diamond does seem maybe more superficially complex, though, what with Andy's crazy shred solos and the prog metal influence creeping in. I guess Fatal Portrait is making a bit of a tentative release in that it does mix stand-alone songs with a conceptual suite at the end, as if King was testing the waters there.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:21 pm 

I meant complex in terms of song and album structure. Not knocking Mercyful Fate at all, but Abigail, Them, and Conspiracy especially featured some pretty complex song structures, and of course the whole concept album thing. Mercyful Fate tended toward simpler structures, with a few exceptions (Satan's Fall being an obvious one). Melissa and Don't Break the Oath were more riff-centric though, no denying that. To be honest unlike a lot of people around here I don't consider those first two Mercyful Fate albums to be unequivocally better than King Diamond's solo material; they have different strengths and scratch different itches, so to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to stack them up against each other like that. Especially once King's concept approach was solidified in Abigail, it was clear he was interested in attracting people more through mood, story, and atmosphere than headbanging ecstasy, and chances are without Shermann he wouldn't have been able to do the latter as well anyway. Mercyful Fate won't satisfy me when I'm in a King Diamond mood, King Diamond won't satisfy me when I'm in a Mercyful Fate mood, and I seem to experience each mood about equally.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:31 pm 

In the Shadows is my favourite Mercyful Fate album after Melissa. That album is just really cool.

But yes, I prefer Diamond's solo stuff to Mercyful fate.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:46 pm 

Inspired to listen to Fatal Portrait by this thread, it occurred to me that Mercyful Fate wrote really strong independent songs, so their albums have more of the feeling of an aggregation of tracks -- in a way, a thematic collection of short stories. Whereas the King Diamond solo material has the layout and pacing of a full book; taken out of context, an individual track might not have the same punch as something off Don't Break The Oath, but is seen in its proper light with its proper neighbors adjoining. Exceptions will be made for such tracks as 'Charon'.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:00 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Inspired to listen to Fatal Portrait by this thread, it occurred to me that Mercyful Fate wrote really strong independent songs, so their albums have more of the feeling of an aggregation of tracks -- in a way, a thematic collection of short stories. Whereas the King Diamond solo material has the layout and pacing of a full book; taken out of context, an individual track might not have the same punch as something off Don't Break The Oath, but is seen in its proper light with its proper neighbors adjoining. Exceptions will be made for such tracks as 'Charon'.

and 'The Family Ghost'

and 'A Mansion In Darkness'

and 'Abigail'

and 'Welcome Home'

and 'The Invisible Guests'

and 'Sleepless Nights'

and 'Eye of the Witch'

and 'Burn'

and 'Up From The Grave'

really, the man has a ton of great songs that don't necessarily have to be driven by the entire conceptual narrative to be assimilated as singular enjoyable songs. The Puppet Master is the album I feel was more intended to be understood better as a complete piece.

I am loving The Graveyard more and more although the reviews of autothrall, natrix and others would have you believe it is far from good;
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/K ... yard/1181/

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:16 am 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
really, the man has a ton of great songs that don't necessarily have to be driven by the entire conceptual narrative to be assimilated as singular enjoyable songs. The Puppet Master is the album I feel was more intended to be understood better as a complete piece.

Even The Puppet Master has "Blood to Walk", which is actually one of my favorite King Diamond songs. Just insanely catchy, with one of his most memorable riffs. THAT'S ENOUGH FOR TODAY! PUT THEM AWAY!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:49 am 

If we're gonna talk about the best individual KD songs, then we gotta mention At the Graves; an epic, creepy, and badass nine minute long metal frenzy. Really, the first time I listened to Conspiracy I must have replayed it at least five times (and yes, that's around 45 minutes), and..... You know what? I'm gonna put it on now, because damn.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:16 am 

No mention of "The Portrait," "Black Horsemen," or "Room 17"?! Y'all's crazy.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:28 pm 

My favourite KD songs tend to have extended Michael Denner solo parts: 'Dressed in White' and, of corpse, 'Black Horsemen' (the outro solo regularly gets mentioned as peoples' favourite solo, for good reason, too).

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:03 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
and, of corpse, 'Black Horsemen' (the outro solo regularly gets mentioned as peoples' favourite solo, for good reason, too).

Yeah, like I mentioned a bit earlier, that one's my favorite, too. It gives the entire album such an timeless and memorable finish, and it--wait a minute...
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
of corpse

/groan

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:59 pm 

The solo in Victimized is really nice, after the 'we must go, and do what must be done' line. It's very short but pleasing to my ears.

I also like the solo in Tea (the floaty one towards the end of the track).

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 am 

"Conspiracy" is the best King Diamond record. Every song on there is fucking memorable and the guitar work is the most furious it has ever been. The soloing in "Sleepless Nights" is incredibly tasty. I love the story too, which of course starts in "Them" but the best KD tale would have to be "Abigail".

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:18 am 

Oh man, Black Horsemen. I love the solo tone on that album. It gives the fast picking runs a really brutal sound. The two most timeless songs King has sung for me are A Dangerous Meeting and Come To The Sabbath. Satanic menace and legendary riffs!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 pm 

Changing the subject, the guys from Wrathblade just directed me to this new Greek Band, SACRAL RAGE. Total USPM worship, this tune is fucking deadly. Sounds like straight-up late 80's USPM, but with a more modern production. Man, these vocals are awesome, total wailing banshee style like early Rick Miyathisin, John Cyriis etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFbb7U62ow
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:22 pm 

Whoa, I hear a lot of Vicious Rumors in some of those riffs, too. Definitely a band to keep an eye on. For the record, Wrathblade are really cool too, sort of like epic Greek heavy metal + USPM + a touch of epic doom. Gotta love those Greeks!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:54 pm 

Yeah It's cool, I'm getting some Slauter Xstroyes vibes too, at least from the vocals.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:53 am 

The Greeks know their shit! That sounds awesome. Very cool and interesting for a Greek band to pay homage to the USPM style.

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 pm 

Did I miss it or has the thread so far glossed over the fact that Jag Panzer are playing Keep it True in 2014 with Joey Tafolla?
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:03 pm 

I've been checking the older pages of this topic again which gave me the idea I'm missing out a lot of the classc 80's USPM stuff - so I copied 2 posts (which were uspm lists made by...dunno, one of the uspm nerds here :p) so for now I got enough stuff to check.

I just listened to Agent Steel's debut. It sounds pretty good so far. ''Bleed for the Godz'' has the best vocal lines I've reconized so far - funny enough this guy reminds me a bit of King Diamond on ''Taken by Force''.

I gave Slauter Xstroyers' (freakin' band name, I thought they were called slaughter xstroyers :p) Free the Beast a chance. It's...exciting to say atleast. :lol: Lots of crazy shrieking on that record combined with groovy progressive riffing that shows up out of nowhere. Definitely need to hear this record many more times to find out if it's my thing after all. But hey, it's pretty interesting and if anything reminds me of a crazier Crimson Glory. (e.g on ''Eternal World'')

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385 ... 624  Next