Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:57 pm 

NJMike wrote:
Looking for very atmospheric/spacey black metal in the vein of Darkspace and Carcharoth Λ.V.. Also similar to Paysage d'Hiver, Vinterriket, Battle Dagorath, the track "Hin" by Trist (de), Midnight Odyssey and ColdWorld. But stuff that sounds like this mostly: http://youtu.be/RIRRg4O7_IE?t=7m29s

I see, try Darkness from the u.k. especially the full length He is not space themed but they remind me of Darkspace.

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
WarriorFenix wrote:
Looking to explore the Black Metal genre more.

All ive heard/got so far is Emperor (the 4 studio albums + Wrath of the Tyrant), Dimmu Borgir (everything between Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and In Sorte Diaboli) and Satyricon (the newest 3)

Looking into getting into the likes of Immortal, Bathory, Celtic Frost and so on. Heard one the songs from Darkthrone's new album and thought that sounded really good.

So best starting points? Albums that are a must listen? Bands worth checking out?

preferably looking for stuff like Emperor and Dimmu Borgir (not named CoF, that vocalist annoys the shit out of me)

Here are some of my favorite bands that I suggest for any black metal noob:

Norway:
Gorgoroth
Urgehal (Later albums)

Poland:
Mgla
Besatt

Ukraine:
Drudkh
Lutomysl

Germany:
Endstille
Nargaroth
Odal

Finland:
Azaghal
Horna/Sargeist/Behexen (all 3 of these bands share members)
Vitsaus
Satanic Warmaster

Sweden:
Arckanum
Svartsyn

USA:
Inquisition
Judas Iscariot
Pact (new and awesome band)

Misc:
Sad (Greece)
Mourning Forest (France)
Folkvang (Belarus)

That's just off the top of my head, but that's a lot... good luck \m/

EDIT: I forgot Netherlands: Lugubre, Cirith Gorgor, Zwartplaag! haha

Cheers for the response mate, checked out 2 so far, Gorgorth (who i didnt like at all), Drudkh (who definatly got a thumbs up, kinda the stuff im looking for) and a band not listed there in Sacramentium (who were also very good).

Yeah about Gorgorth, i really dont like the very raw sound it has (i checked out "Under the Sign of Hell"), to me it just seemed to be a wall of noise (the drums were St.Anger level bad in terms of sound) and abit hard to hear what was going on as far as the music is concerned. Ran into the same problem when i checked out early Darkthrone after being impressed with the track "Leave No Cross Unturned"

Having said that is there anything on that list now i should avoid?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am 

WarriorFenix wrote:
Yeah about Gorgorth, i really dont like the very raw sound it has (i checked out "Under the Sign of Hell"), to me it just seemed to be a wall of noise (the drums were St.Anger level bad in terms of sound) and abit hard to hear what was going on as far as the music is concerned. Ran into the same problem when i checked out early Darkthrone after being impressed with the track "Leave No Cross Unturned"

Under the Sign of Hell can be a little inhospitable sounding to the black metal newbie, although it's mostly just the drums in Revelation of Doom. Pentagram and Antichrist are much tidier sounds wise, perhaps you'd like them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t12Z9R47Dg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMMA2_qVJtM

Last edited by hakarl on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 am 

WarriorFenix wrote:

Cheers for the response mate, checked out 2 so far, Gorgorth (who i didnt like at all), Drudkh (who definitely got a thumbs up, kinda the stuff im looking for) and a band not listed there in Sacramentium (who were also very good).

Having said that is there anything on that list now i should avoid?

Well Under the Sign of Hell is one of my favorite albums, but I can understand where you are coming from... They did a rerecording of it which is a lot cleaner, but lacks the overall feeling the original album had. Drudkh is kind of a unique band, but I would say check out Folkvang, Mgla, Urgehal's last 2 albums, Sargeist - Let the Devil In, Arckanum's last few albums, Odal, and definitely Lutomysl. You might like Behexen's newer stuff even though I find their earlier, more raw stuff far superior. All those other bands I think are still worth giving a listen, try their newest releases first if you don't like rough production. Blodsrit and Taake are two more you should check out. You'd also probably like Immortal - At the Heart of Winter although I always assume everyone's already heard this... I like Pure Holocaust and Battles in the north though.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 am 

^ If you guys enjoy Drudkh you show check out AX , in particular his 'Glare of Autumn' ep. The closest thing you will find to 'Autumn Aurora'.

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:16 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
mirageasylum wrote:
Do you guys know any bands making similar music to Aptorian Demon / Mare / Kaosritual / Dark Sonority / One Tail, One Head? I realize that the bands I mentioned differ, although they kind of deliver a similar obscure vibe and have lots of "orthodox black metal" (sorry about that term) elements to them, so that's why I put them next to each other. Do you have any recommendations?

Check out their labelmates and side projects. I recommend you Saligia, Flagellant and Chaos Invocation. Check out the latest album by Kadotus, it seems to be influenced by some Trondheim bands. Check out Sarath and Min Kniv if you're into melodic and atmospheric stuff.

Edit: I just checked out Horde of Hel's second album, Likdagg. You might enjoy it. I'd advise against checking out the debut first. Don't let the reviews taunt you, they haven't actually listened to the album or hate black metal (or alternatively it's going to get much, much worse - Herrens Tid is a great song in my opinion)

Saligia is just great, I love the music. Too bad the only thing they've got is a vinyl edition of the newest album - I usually buy CD's... Do you mean the swedish Flagellant or the german one? Chaos Invocation is sort of 50/50 for me, because I loved the tracks from the newest album Black Mirror Hours while the '07 one In Bloodline with the Snake wasn't all that good in my opinion. Oh, and I did like Kadotus - I mean they're not really innovators in their field or anything, but then again that wasn't what I was looking for. So many thanks for you recommendations, they were actually brilliant! I'm gonna look for CD's of those bands very soon. If you happen to have any more thoughts on that subject please let me know.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm 

No problem.

I only know the Swedish Flagellant, so that one. I don't really buy vinyl either. Besides the LP, there's only Spotify.

Tortorum might also fit the bill. World Terror Committee is selling their album as vinyl and digital album, didn't look further to see if there's a CD. While I like them, they're not the highest band on my lenghty 'to buy' list.

There are a few Finnish bands at least tangentially similar to Kadotus. One you might probably like, since you had those rawer, thrashier ones in your original list, is Uncreation's Dawn. Start with Lightning Hammer Falls, preferably. There's Warloghe, which is fairly grim, but not without melody. Again, first full-length recommended. Teloch is something like Kadotus' debut - fairly melodic riffs, moderately raw, not overly grim or aggressive.

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
No problem.

I only know the Swedish Flagellant, so that one. I don't really buy vinyl either. Besides the LP, there's only Spotify.

Tortorum might also fit the bill. World Terror Committee is selling their album as vinyl and digital album, didn't look further to see if there's a CD. While I like them, they're not the highest band on my lenghty 'to buy' list.

There are a few Finnish bands at least tangentially similar to Kadotus. One you might probably like, since you had those rawer, thrashier ones in your original list, is Uncreation's Dawn. Start with Lightning Hammer Falls, preferably. There's Warloghe, which is fairly grim, but not without melody. Again, first full-length recommended. Teloch is something like Kadotus' debut - fairly melodic riffs, moderately raw, not overly grim or aggressive.

I know what you mean, I'm unable to buy CD's as fast as I add them to my wish list, so it's grown to like a 100 albums... Both Uncreation's Dawn and Warloghe is good stuff. Nevertheless, Tortorum beats them both, I love their only abum, even if the cover is a bit cliché - but nevermind, because the music is just done just the way I like. I didn't like Teloch all that much though and I don't even know why - like you stated it is actually similar in parts to Kadotus, which you previously recommended, but somehow I just can't get into them (on the first try, that is). BTW wow, it seems like you know tons of some pretty obscure bands - and lots of them are really good. Thanks again!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:00 am 

I suppose you like the more aggressive stuff then, since Teloch is definitely mellower than the rest, even Kadotus.

Glad you liked the stuff. I've been into black metal for a while, and as awesome the second wave classics are, at some point one begins to crave something new, even if it's not in any way novel. Last rec: check out Cornigr, it's sort of that aggressive sound without the Swedish orthodox clichés.

dannygrant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:12 pm 

Hello everyone. Im new here to this forum and Black metal in general. actually im fairly new to rock/metal lol... I started off a few years listening to screamo when i was young (yeah i know screamo sucks) but ive always been a heavy Slipknot fan for awhile. I was wondering if someone can start me off on some Black metal for a beginner. Ive been listening to Revenge- Infiltration.Downfall.Death for a month or so and I love the album.
The only two black metal bands i listen to are: Revenge and Abigor.
Please recommend some bands.
I like aggressive dark metal btw

thanks

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:21 pm 

dannygrant wrote:
Hello everyone. Im new here to this forum and Black metal in general. actually im fairly new to rock/metal lol... I started off a few years listening to screamo when i was young (yeah i know screamo sucks) but ive always been a heavy Slipknot fan for awhile. I was wondering if someone can start me off on some Black metal for a beginner. Ive been listening to Revenge- Infiltration.Downfall.Death for a month or so and I love the album.
The only two black metal bands i listen to are: Revenge and Abigor.
Please recommend some bands.
I like aggressive dark metal btw

thanks

Read my long post on page 68, 4th? post on that page. Also read a lot of Ilwhyan's posts

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 pm 

So most of my black metal is atmosphere driven. I'd like something with more concise song structures (by black metal standards of course) and more in your face riffing.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
So most of my black metal is atmosphere driven. I'd like something with more concise song structures (by black metal standards of course) and more in your face riffing.

But still atmospheric? This is not my favoured specialty but I've been enjoying Sear Bliss a lot lately! Their 2004 and 2007 albums are pretty awesome.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 am 

No, doesn't have to be particularly atmospheric.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:06 am 

been listening to 'Wedard' today, it's suppose to be dsbm but i found it had an awesome atmosphere, highly recommend

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I suppose you like the more aggressive stuff then, since Teloch is definitely mellower than the rest, even Kadotus.

Glad you liked the stuff. I've been into black metal for a while, and as awesome the second wave classics are, at some point one begins to crave something new, even if it's not in any way novel. Last rec: check out Cornigr, it's sort of that aggressive sound without the Swedish orthodox clichés.

I couldn't agree more. And I just ordered Cornigr's Relics of Inner War from Barghest web store. Amazing stuff, and even more so considering it's a one-man project. Many thanks again Ilwhyan, this was really to-the-point and helpful.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:01 am 

mirageasylum wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

I couldn't agree more. And I just ordered Cornigr's Relics of Inner War from Barghest web store. Amazing stuff, and even more so considering it's a one-man project. Many thanks again Ilwhyan, this was really to-the-point and helpful.

Great ;). Glad to be of assistance.

dannygrant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:48 pm 

Abigor is fucking rad

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 pm 

I just ordered "Flagellant - Monuments" along with the album cover shirt because their logo and cover art looks so badass, and I will be ordering their new album on March 1st. Now I need to check out Kadotus and Cornigr, but I need to stop buying so many damn CDs for a bit! Thanks to Ilwhyan for some great suggestions when I thought I already knew all the awesome bands out there \m/

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:06 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
been listening to 'Wedard' today, it's suppose to be dsbm but i found it had an awesome atmosphere, highly recommend

I totally agree with you on that. Very good band.

ColdWorld is also similar.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

chish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 pm 

So the new Cultes des Ghoules (and, after checking it out, earlier Cultes des Ghoules) has terrified and blown me away in equal measure, what other bands are there that play a similar cavernously heavy, unhinged, creepy-ass black metal?

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:20 am 

Hey, could you guys rec me some black metal Bands that make ample use of vintage synthesizers and keyboards? Things like the minimoog? I really love vintage synths(I'm saving up for my own now) and I already Play and love the keyboard and I love Black metal but I havent listened to much bm with those instruments and would to hear it? Thanks in advance guys!

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:23 am 

hey guys, can anyone reccomend me some ukriane/russian style black metal? what im looking for in particular is the vocal styles of M8l8TH, Kroda, the screaming and crying style is amazing for me, thanks in advance :)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:49 pm 

halfformedfetus wrote:
hey guys, can anyone reccomend me some ukriane/russian style black metal? what im looking for in particular is the vocal styles of M8l8TH, Kroda, the screaming and crying style is amazing for me, thanks in advance :)

The only Ukrainian/Russian bands I listen to are:

Lutomysl (favorite)
Old Wainds - Very good
Lucifugum - You will like them if you're fucked in the head (I like them)

You've probably heard of these, but that's all I got for now.

Forbinator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:41 pm 

I'll second Old Wainds, especially "Religion of Spiritual Violence".

KC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 am 

STORMM wrote:
NJMike wrote:
Looking for very atmospheric/spacey black metal in the vein of Darkspace and Carcharoth Λ.V.. Also similar to Paysage d'Hiver, Vinterriket, Battle Dagorath, the track "Hin" by Trist (de), Midnight Odyssey and ColdWorld. But stuff that sounds like this mostly: http://youtu.be/RIRRg4O7_IE?t=7m29s

I see, try Darkness from the u.k. especially the full length He is not space themed but they remind me of Darkspace.

Check out Spectral Lore -
http://spectrallore.bandcamp.com/album/sentinel-2

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:12 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
halfformedfetus wrote:

The only Ukrainian/Russian bands I listen to are:

Lutomysl (favorite)
Old Wainds - Very good
Lucifugum - You will like them if you're fucked in the head (I like them)

You've probably heard of these, but that's all I got for now.

Thanks :) i do already own the Old Wainds and Lutomysl stuff! and love old wainds alot!! but i have never heard Lucifugum! will check them out! thanks

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 pm 

Has anyone had a chance to listen to Paysage d'Hiver's newest? What can those who have say about it?

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Has anyone had a chance to listen to Paysage d'Hiver's newest? What can those who have say about it?

no i'm just experiencing the self titled for the first time..........amazing!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

no i'm just experiencing the self titled for the first time..........amazing!

I too am interested to hear what Das Tor is like, knowing inside it will be fucking excellent!! As for the self titled you wont go wrong with it at all bloodycumshit, one of his best releases imo. I also have to admit that Einsamkeit is quickly becoming my favourite ambient release of his, and may just replace Die Festung in the top spot. The atmosphere just sucks the life out of you, quite a musical journey.

dannygrant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:12 am 

would you guys consider a band named Portal as death metal or black metal? maybe both? i cant decide which.... war metal maybe? :p

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 am 

dannygrant wrote:
would you guys consider a band named Portal as death metal or black metal? maybe both? i cant decide which.... war metal maybe? :p

Checked out a few tracks and from what I heard this is 100% death metal, not the type I would usually listen to mind you, dont think I could get into these guys.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 pm 

halfformedfetus wrote:

Are you looking only for Ukraine/Russian bands? Or for certain vocal style? All of these bands have a pretty harsh vocal style and some amazing music all around, they are also not very well known.

Permafrost (Germany) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_N0F1RGwzI&list=PL6E42A48DB872CDEC

Luror (also Germany) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ0CUMZe9WQ

Blood Red Fog (Finland) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWzRwl6Rr1M

Sad (Greece) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1YoVVKuyM8 This song is so badass

Zorn (one of my favorite German bands, finally coming out with a new album too) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjbpURpkuv4

dannygrant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm 

can someone recommend me some really raw gritty,vocal shrieking, BM?
Like Blasphemy,Revenge, and Conqueror.
Raw production too.. thx :P

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:49 pm 

Check out Damaar. Really violent, noisy black metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
Hey, could you guys rec me some black metal Bands that make ample use of vintage synthesizers and keyboards? Things like the minimoog? I really love vintage synths(I'm saving up for my own now) and I already Play and love the keyboard and I love Black metal but I havent listened to much bm with those instruments and would to hear it? Thanks in advance guys!

Check out Verge's side of the Verge/Blood Red Fog split "Because It's Wrong". Rough black metal with a 70s church-organ on some songs. The first track ("Spiritual Promiscuity") is exemplary.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
HellishHound wrote:

Check out Verge's side of the Verge/Blood Red Fog split "Because It's Wrong". Rough black metal with a 70s church-organ on some songs. The first track ("Spiritual Promiscuity") is exemplary.

Thanks Zodijackyl I'm checking out what songs I can find from it now but I can't seem to find many. Is it worth buying in your opinion?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

Finnish black metal is what you need. I'm kind of having a mental block here but Bekhira and Warloghe come to mind. Ilwhyan should me with you shortly.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 am 

Nattfog, Sargueist or Baptism are good examples of what you're looking for. Concise songwriting while still maintaining a good atmospheric sound.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:37 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

Finnish black metal is what you need. I'm kind of having a mental block here but Bekhira and Warloghe come to mind. Ilwhyan should me with you shortly.

You've been listening! That's mine and Ilwhyan's favorite bands to rec people, respectively! :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 231  Next