Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:37 pm 

I'm a big fan of stand up comedy I suppose. I spend a ton of time listening to podcasts and collecting albums and bootleg sets. My city's actually got a great scene for traveling and local comics alike but I don't often go to shows due to both financial constrictions (ticket prices and the drink minimum add up pretty quick) and lack of friends with cash/similar interests.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:08 am 

I love the outdoors. Travel is my number one hobby.
I have been to the UK, Germany, Italy, Egypt, France, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Argentina, Cuba, Hawaii, South Africa, Namibia, Indonesia, Japan and all over the United States. My work requires that I travel a lot but it is more of a personal pleasure. I like the thrill of seeing life in a whole new scope and you don't get that until you live somewhere else beyond your home. I like breathing in new air, eating foreign food, learning about different cultures and visiting ancient places; places with a story.

I am planning on visiting India and Brazil.

Besides that, I read like crazy. I am mostly into English literature. The Victorian Era possessing most of the stuff I've read and re-read. Dickens, Thackeray, Browning, Hardy, Eliot, Bronte, Trollope and Tennyson and so on.
The punishing realism of the Russian writers never interested me much but besides that, I will read anything really.

I prefer TV to movies. I watch most of the common shows when I find the time and I'm not really genre specific. I have enjoyed Twin Peaks, The Sopranos, South Park, Six Feet Under, The Borgias, Dexter, Soul Food, Homeland, The Wire, Sons of Anarchy and so on.

Besides all things metal and rock (maybe, not all things rock), I love traditional music. Folk music from any part of the world interests me.

Bulgarian wedding music is my favorite! :)

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am 

Outside of my musical interest, I watch stuff. Mostly sitcoms and stand up material, nothing too exciting.

I also really like motorsports, which is something I've not seen mentioned in the thread so far. Not into bikes, but I'll watch more or less anything race that's on 4 wheels. I follow F1 as well as the local V8 supercars serires, which is perhaps my most bogan trait. I also like watching competitive drifting; them Japanese are crazy.

- Tim Minchin

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:56 pm 

College sports is probably my biggest time sink outside of music, kids and school. Football and basketball seasons pretty much consume my life until I succumb to the reality that my Wolfpack inevitably suck again.

I'm also a big nature buff. I love getting into the middle of nowhere and then just examining every little thing. It makes me a pretty shitty hiking companion. I'm always going off trail and stopping to take tons of picks of some little insect or flower.

I used to read a lot (mainly sci-fi and nonfiction) but I'm trying to finish up a Ph.D. and find it hard to justify the time. I'm a pretty slow reader when I'm reading for enjoyment or curiosity.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:51 pm 

Cooking,cooking,cooking
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:52 pm 

iAm wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Cooking is hands down, one of the most important things to learn.

qft

I ate nothing but teryaki chicken for like a month straight just so I could master that alone. Diced almonds, bell peppers, grilled jalapenos, raw bak choy, hella spices, diced onion and baste the fucking chicken in that sauce yo. (also use pot butter and cinnamon with the rice for added bonus)

Did I hear cannibutter?

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:19 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Let's be best friends.

LET'S. :love:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
I have been to the UK, Germany, Italy, Egypt, France, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Argentina, Cuba, Hawaii, South Africa, Namibia, Indonesia, Japan and all over the United States.
Besides all things metal and rock (maybe, not all things rock), I love traditional music. Folk music from any part of the world interests me.

Where are you from, VirginSteele_Helstar?
And WHY bulgarian wedding music?

OlioTheSmall wrote:
I also really like motorsports, which is something I've not seen mentioned in the thread so far.

Really?!?
viewtopic.php?p=2216543#p2216543

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:14 am 

I love reading, fishing, basketball, football, cooking, painting and sex.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I have been to the UK, Germany, Italy, Egypt, France, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Argentina, Cuba, Hawaii, South Africa, Namibia, Indonesia, Japan and all over the United States.

I'm from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
Bulgarian wedding music is incredibly dynamic and orchestrally interesting. Very earthy as well. I like the voices and how they meld, the various instruments employed and the almost trippy way it all connects.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:01 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
I also really like motorsports, which is something I've not seen mentioned in the thread so far.

Really?!?

Oop, must have skimmed over your mention of track racing and touge. I expected a couple people to maybe also enjoy motorsports here, but touge racing? Cool to see someone else who even knows what that is. :P

- Tim Minchin

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:03 am 

Count me in for the motor racing love, especially Formula 1.

My collection

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:29 am 

Good man, Crushed. I'm hoping Raikkonen can win a few more grand prixs this year. Pretty sure he only took first place in Abu Dhabi last year.

- Tim Minchin

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:28 pm 

I'm from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
Bulgarian wedding music is incredibly dynamic and orchestrally interesting. Very earthy as well. I like the voices and how they meld, the various instruments employed and the almost trippy way it all connects.

Uhm... nice!
Something like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emir_Kusturica

OlioTheSmall wrote:
Oop, must have skimmed over your mention of track racing and touge. I expected a couple people to maybe also enjoy motorsports here, but touge racing? Cool to see someone else who even knows what that is. :P

http://clubhondaspirit.com/foro/topic/1 ... os-s2000s/
http://clubhondaspirit.com/foro/topic/1 ... como-el-s/

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Count me in for the motor racing love, especially Formula 1.

Only rallyes are real! LOL!

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm 

Football! and 16 bits console music.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:45 pm 

I write electronic music and I am working on a few projects from industrial acid type stuff, film type music, and even an ebm project is underway. About a decade ago, before metal was even on my radar, I wrote some trance in the style that was popular in Germany at the time and was only a stones throw from a contract with a label before a fatal hard drive crash ruined years of work, designed presets/samples, and tons of unfinished music. A hard lesson in 'always have backups'. I do it more as a hobby now and trance is no longer of much interest, though I have an idea to throw the genre upside down and do something I have not seen done so it may happen, but the ebm looks promising and as soon as my mic arrives I will get more serious.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:59 pm 

Aside from metal, I'm also really in to philosophy - it fascinates me and I'm in love with the way it can slowly burn away the fog-of-war from reality, and I'm always going to see how far I can go with it. I doubt I'll ever stop absorbing philosophical materials.

I also enjoy learning in it's own right - I sometimes view my life as in RPG terms - what am I doing? is it giving me exp. points and levelling me up? Anything from learning how to weld steel, to chemistry, history or mythology, it's all good for me, I love accumulating knowledge, and as I said with regards to philosophy, trying to get rid of that damn fog-of-war.

I've discovered that I really enjoy the feeling of discipline and strength I get from lifting weights, if possible, every day - it's not radically done anything to my physique, but it feels infinitely worthwhile.

In the last half-a-year or so I've started to watch pro-wrestling... It's not a hobby I'd have ever predicted coming, but for some reason it's great fun to watch.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:43 am 

My passion is archery, mainly target archery, but i also shoot 3d and i have 1 wooden one piece, as i'm also very interested in medieval history and vikings. My next step will be getting viking-type of sword and start practice with it (tameshigiri), and maybe katana later.

I don't know anything more relaxing than being in the range and just shoot, my mind goes 100% blank when im doing it.
Gym-training is also part of my life, not so hardcore anymore when im older and i have to spare my joints.
I used to play online shooters quite much, at some point competing, but quality of games has plunged so much,
cba anymore, still doing some BF3, but its crappy shooter for nubs.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:

OlioTheSmall wrote:

Really?!?

The real question is,why NOT Bulgarian wedding music?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:03 pm 

Don Karlos wrote:
My passion is archery, mainly target archery, but i also shoot 3d and i have 1 wooden one piece, as i'm also very interested in medieval history and vikings. My next step will be getting viking-type of sword and start practice with it (tameshigiri), and maybe katana later.
I don't know anything more relaxing than being in the range and just shoot, my mind goes 100% blank when im doing it.

That's amazing! Could you talk us more about your arch?

norcalslayings wrote:
The real question is,why NOT Bulgarian wedding music?

Yeah, but I was just asking him WHY he likes it and he answered my question here:
viewtopic.php?p=2218441#p2218441

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:02 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I sometimes view my life as in RPG terms - what am I doing? is it giving me exp. points and levelling me up? Anything from learning how to weld steel, to chemistry, history or mythology, it's all good for me, I love accumulating knowledge, and as I said with regards to philosophy, trying to get rid of that damn fog-of-war.

Funny, I just realized that I have a very similar outlook on life. Since I procrastinate a lot, doing anything substantial at all is time well invested. I don't have, like, a plan that helps me focus my efforts on a specific goal. Maybe that part comes later - naturally. But right now I think that if I do this and that, given I do it properly, it enriches my life and provides me with invaluable experience that might become useful some day.

Oh, right, and I also study philosophy.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 pm 

Quote:
Oh, right, and I also study philosophy.

Philosophy seems to be disproportionately metal compared to other disciplines - Four or five of my friends have studied philosophy and are into metal to a great extent as well, which is a lot more than one might expect.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:56 pm 

History is also very metal considering it's epic and bloody as fuck. Studying the Crusades? METAL AS FUCK!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:03 pm 

I'm a fan of divining my fate using the stars.

As far as I know, it's working.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:30 am 

Of course it's "working" if you believe in it. That's how the human brain works.

Philosophy is pretty metal, or rather: Metal is pretty philosophical. I don't think there is any other genre that has such an affinity for philosophically relevant topics.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:18 am 

Yeah, I wasn't serious.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:48 pm 

History is so cool. I wish I studied way more of it intensely. I triple majored in Uni - (Philosophy, English, Theology) but I wish I took way more history classes for fun. It's just stuff happening and turns out the vast majority of stuff is just so cool. Wrote my under-graduate thesis on the ironic application of freedom in Milton's Paradise Lost and while I refused to turn it into a roman-a-clef I had a lot of parallels and time to study the English Civil War/the religious zeitgeist of the times and it was supremely fascinating.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

7Halberd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:33 am 

im very much into european history/traditions. i love learning about the medieval times and playing folk music from that time period. other things i enjoy that aren't really "metal" are world history, science, minecraft, strategy games, and being with animals.

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:22 am 

Art from aulder times, arms and weaponry, hiking through the wilds, lagomorphs, sketching, philosophy, history & whatnot

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:32 pm 

Outside of metal specifically, there's music in general, both in terms of listening to it and playing/writing it. I've slowed way down on my rate of writing songs, unfortunately, but I still love singing, playing guitar, and dabbling in any instrument I can get my hands on.

Besides music, languages have been a big interest of mine for many years now. Once upon a time I tried my hand at inventing one of my own, but at the time I didn't know any actual languages aside from English, so I didn't have much knowledge to work with. I know Arabic now, and I can read Swedish to a limited extent, but now my desire to make up a language is gone. In any case, my main interest is the Germanic language family, largely because I'm an Anglophile and I love learning more about the context in which my mother tongue developed. I do love some languages from other families though, such as Finnish.

I enjoy and admire math and science, although I have no real prowess in either. Occasionally I'll read a book of popular physics, but I wish I had the aptitude to really delve into the 'meat' of it. Space fascinates me.

I like to run and go mountain biking. Haven't been biking in a while though.

Beer is a perennial favorite indulgence of mine, and I love whisk(e)y too. I've written some reviews for Beer Advocate; it's a fun way to merge my love of drinking with my love of writing.

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:26 pm 

There's probably only one thing that I really like outside of metal, and that's science. I enjoy anything that relates in any way to science and, more specifically, physics. Be it sci-fi, popular science books, or just doing my math homework. Speaking of which, I have some to do right now. Bye.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 am 

-College Football/major USC football fanatic. I've been obsessed watching Trojan football since the days of Pete Carroll and I'm still a fan despite the cancer that is Lane Kiffin.

-Coaching football. I coach freshman football at a local high school and I love it. Working with kids seems to come naturally to me and I love football so what better idea than to coach it? Unfortunately, every season we get the obligatory snot nosed punk that thinks he's here to be entertained and not follow any of the rules. Other than that it's a great hobby and experience

- Cooking. Since I've been on a diet, I learned that he best way to lose weight is to learn how to cook and I'm slowly starting to enjoy it more and more

-Lifting Weights. Since my dad got me to start working out for hs football years ago, I've enjoyed getting bigger and stronger and passing on what I teach to kids where I coach each season. Can't wait til practice starts in June.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:18 pm 

I've been playing bass for nine years, and I wish I played more instruments. I'm probably going to pick up a cheap guitar in the near future strictly for songwriting purposes, and I'd like to get a cheap keyboard MIDI controller to experiment with some synth programs. I also played cymbals in my college marching band, and I like to follow DCI a bit as many of my friends marched during the summer as well (although I never did myself).

As far as musical loves outside of metal, I've been a big progressive rock fan for a few years now and recently that's evolved into a love of psychedelic rock as well, particularly the spacey, atmospheric long-song kind. I dabble in other things as well (neofolk, jazz, funk, hardcore/crust, various electronic styles).

I'm also heavily interested in the impact of the internet on musicians and the music scene (social media, piracy, Spotify etc.). In high school and most of college I wanted to get involved in the music industry, but the music industry was already in a giant hole well before I graduated so I've opted against it for now. Being a musician who hopes to start gigging and promoting music I've created, it's obviously still important to keep a close eye on a rapidly-changing environment.

Outside of music, I'm a beer nerd. My favorite beers are generally Belgian-style brews, and I tend to aim for lighter-bodied pale ales/lagers more than heavy beers or hoppy ones, but I can definitely enjoy a good stout or IPA from time to time. My combined love of beer and heavy metal got me involved as a writer for Iron Hops, a craft beer/heavy metal blog (because really, what goes better together than beer and metal?); the blog is starting to gain some traction and I'm excited to see it grow.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

My hobbies and interests barely extend beyond the realm of music. I like discussing, listening, discovering, and collecting metal, punk, folk, indie, and a smattering of other sounds. If I'm not on the internet, I'm en route to my favorite local record store, SoundChaser Music, where I'll pick up an item or two and spend some time chatting with the owner.

I also play guitar. I've lost a lot of my chops since having a kid but I'm trying to build that back up, mostly by playing fast-but simple stuff (Toxic Holocaust, Lamb of God, Exodus and Slayer songs mostly). When I get back to where I was before, I'll save up for a 4X12 cab and maybe a new guitar.

I like trying craft beers. There are at least 4-5 places within fifteen minutes of my house where you can stop and pick up something you've never had before. Lately I've been drinking a lot of IPAs and Scotch ales. Maybe this weekend I'll pick up a porter I've never had before.

Other than that, just being a dad a working for a livin. I have a lot of family and career-related goals that I'm pretty focused on.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:51 pm 

Cool topic. I always love how far-ranging and diverse people's hobbies are. Some pretty interesting ones in here.

In order of importance to me:

1. Strength training/Powerlifting: I've been lifting for awhile now as all the sports I've participated in have required it: my rugby days in high school, with a team of powerlifters during university and now competing in BJJ and grappling. Other than the physical benefits though, lifting is like therapy for me. Three times a week for 1-2 hours at a time, I get to put my headphones in, blank out, forget about the things that are stressing me out and just do something that is purely about improving myself and making myself feel good for awhile. It's like a small window of time where I can be totally selfish and for that to not be a problem. I love everything about it: the pain and strain of training, reading up on the science behind it and I enjoy the writings of some of the more famous strength coaches like Jim Wendler etc.

2. Brazilian Jiujitsu/Grappling: The second love of my life. I wish I could train this stuff full time and reach an elite level. It's an incredibly deep sport and is probably the only thing in life where the notion of "learning for a lifetime" excites rather than bores me.

3. Restaurants: I love eating out and trying new restaurants and different cuisines. Eating good food makes life worth living!

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:00 pm 

Besides metal and other forms of music for that matter I'm really into old horror/sci-fi/fantasy novels (HP Lovecraft, tolkein, Salvatore), table-top gaming (currently dming a d&d 3.5 campaign and waiting on my friend to craft a super-hero inspired sci-fi GURPS campaign).
However my real passion is craft beer ( tasting and brewing) in fact my whole life is centered around opening my own microbrewery. I'm working on my business degree now, home-brewing, and theirs a possibility I could get an internship/Job at a local craft brewery one of my Professors is opening this summer. His IPA has beat Pliny the elder and Three Floyds Zombie Dust in blind taste test. Though he did have an advantage his beer was fresh in kegs.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:30 am 

Learning. I recently went back to school and I never knew how great it was to learn things I didn't know and be able to think of them critically, personalize the information, and build on a growing foundation of information and experience. I hated school, and because of that I allowed myself to suck at it. It's only a testament to how paltry it was that I did well at all, because I barely tried. But now that I'm doing it on purpose, as opposed to going cuz mom made me waaaaaah :cry: i have to do my homework fml, I find that it's actually really fucking fun. I listen to music while I study, digest the information, review, evaluate, and respond, and lo and behold I'm getting A's.

Also, "getting better at things." I'm really interested at the process of improvement. I never really looked at it mechanically before. Much like anything mind-blowing when one is young, it just looks like "stuff that happens whatever". But improvement is a skill all its own. Learning more about how to intentionally get your biological meat-robot to adapt is pretty insane and, surprisingly, easier than it seems. From relationship communication to playing guitar to cooking to exercising on a regular basis. There's a lot we can do better, and it's daunting, but a bit at a time and we can end up further along than we thought we would ever get.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm 

I like machines, specifically automobiles ranging from 1895-1996.

I also appreciate finite and infinite dimensional vector spaces.

I am a fan of/entertained by:

Explosions, wreckage, fire, science fiction (specifically alien horror), post apocalyptic themes, various jerked meat products, and history up to and including the year 60,000 BC.

Things that do not make me happy:

Sociology
Psychology
Philosophy
History post 60,000 BC
English
(Insert Liberal Art here)
Apple Products
The Internet
Professional Sports
Stand up Comedy
Provincial Attitudes

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:21 am 

I like the usual stuff like a good computer game, film or tv-show but furthermore I am a writer (short horror fiction, inspired by Lovecraft), a student of Film and New Media/Digital culture, big fan of anything that rattles the brain (puzzles, adventure-games, mindgame films etc). I also love tabletop board and role-playing games, some of the former of which my favorites are Mansions of Madness, Munchkin and Twilight Imperium; some of my favorite RPGs are World of Darkness/Mage, DnD 3.5 and Call of Cthulhu. Furthermore I am big fan of reading; especially Science Fiction, Horror, Fantasy and some crime and last but definitely not least; I am a huge Mystery Science Theater 3000 fanboy :)

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:17 am 

I'm into skyscrapers architecture and photography.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next