Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:15 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I don't think I've seen it published by the band themselves, but I see people saying that Wintersun call their music "extreme majestic technical epic melodic metal". I'd call it "extreme Finnish keyboard metal".

I was just gonna post that. The Archives say that Jari himself has called the band's style that. It's so pretentious it's not even that funny.

As for me, crabcore. Stupid name for stupid music.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:41 pm 

Subrick wrote:

Crabcore isn't a style of music, it's a derogatory term for bands that do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8#t=74s

The "Hitler salute while jogging in place" is also a lame move.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:46 pm 

Ba Zuulizx Karoth wrote:
I swear: once some shitty emo kids decide to cross black metal with hardcore, I will lose my faith in humanity. They'll end up calling it something gay like 'grimcore' or 'blasphemousskinnyjeanscore'. Damn you Asking Alexandria!

"Black metal with hardcore" has already been done, whether by "hardcore" you mean hardcore punk (in which case there are already a lot of black/hardcore bands, like Young and in the Way) or metalcore/deathcore (which has been done by bands like Abigail Williams, Fallujah, and X-box Murder). Believe it or not, most of those bands just call themselves "black metal/punk" or "blackened deathcore"; they don't see any need to make up names anywhere near as ridiculous as you suggest.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:37 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Crabcore isn't a style of music, it's a derogatory term for bands that do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8#t=74s

The "Hitler salute while jogging in place" is also a lame move.

I've seen comments using that term in a positive manner.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:45 pm 

Ba, if I call you that, there have possibly been all kinds of permutations and combinations as far as genre-mingling goes...or has there? What about...GRIND-FOLK!

...so yes, blackened hardcore exists as M-Throne pointed out.

Getting back on topic, it slightly irks me when bands tag their music as 'EXPERIMENTAL'. What's that supposed to even mean? All bands fuckin' experiment with their sound/music/etcetera. Does including it as a prefix to your genre make you sound like a snob because to me it sure as hell implies that one is trying to be technically more proficient or experimentally more proficient (whatever that means).

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 pm 

I find the term "Mallcore" silly, since it's also not an actual genre. You might recall I've petitioned of sorts to have all instances of Mallcore replaced with an actual genre name, most often nu-metal.

On the topic of nu-metal, that's also a silly name. It's neither new or metal, so why call it nu-metal?

Though with nu-metal, there are actually bands that like to call themselves that. There's also modern metal, alternative metal, NWOAHM (just replace British with American, you get the idea), blah blah blah.

Mnemic calls their style "future fusion metal" or something like that.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:29 am 

Yeah! You get the stupidest names sometimes.

I also find that the Experimental prefix is very ........ silly. Is that music on which scientists have done experiments?
The term Progressive derives from bands like Yes (in the 70's) and was and is used to describe bands who use several riffs played over different rhythms. But in those days there were also "experimental" bands. I know it was used to describe bands that stray from the norm but still. It sounds really silly to me!

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:37 pm 

nintendocore...
Like,what the fuck is that?
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 pm 

Avant-garde anything. It's used mainly for bm bands that don't really sound like classic bm and have some progressive elements. It's more a failure to categorize properly than a valid genre. Implying they are actually the forefront of innovation (avant-garde) is rather dumb.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:25 am 

Rob1 wrote:

The term Progressive derives from bands like Yes (in the 70's) and was and is used to describe bands who use several riffs played over different rhythms.

Progressive, to my knowledge, was more used to describe the bands that were "progressing" rock music at the time, by playing quite out there stuff. King Crimson, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, etc were all fairly different stylistically, I don't know if it rigidly meant "several riffs over different rhythms". That's my understanding of the term, anyway.

I get pretty shitty about any genre than bases itself on the lyrical content completely. I mean, Viking Metal got its name because the lyrical content was viking based, but it has its own sound. I hear a lot of one-off genre terms bands throw around to try and seem different just because they happen to be singing about something they deem as unique in metal.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:40 am 

@TheUglySoldier: Since at that time most music only used three chords, one rhythm it was really progressive of course when you didn't do things like that.

About Viking metal: so it's based on the fact that these bands sing about Vikings. In other words: they glorify the Viking way of life. If they do that: shouldn't we expect them to rape and pillage after the show? That Is the Viking way of life: roam around, raping and pillaging wherever you come etc. Yet there haven't been any reports on raping and pillaging where Viking Metal bands have played. Neither do they travel by Drakar from show to show!
The same holds true for Pagan Metal bands: I don't see them running around in just a simple cloth after the show, cooking their dinner, which they hunted down themselves, over a campfire and sleeping in simple huts or caves.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 am 

Rob1 wrote:
About Viking metal: so it's based on the fact that these bands sing about Vikings. In other words: they glorify the Viking way of life. If they do that: shouldn't we expect them to rape and pillage after the show? That Is the Viking way of life: roam around, raping and pillaging wherever you come etc. Yet there haven't been any reports on raping and pillaging where Viking Metal bands have played. Neither do they travel by Drakar from show to show!
The same holds true for Pagan Metal bands: I don't see them running around in just a simple cloth after the show, cooking their dinner, which they hunted down themselves, over a campfire and sleeping in simple huts or caves.

That's a pretty dumb way to see it. Next.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 am 

Rob1 wrote:
That Is the Viking way of life: roam around, raping and pillaging wherever you come etc. Yet there haven't been any reports on raping and pillaging where Viking Metal bands have played. Neither do they travel by Drakar from show to show!

Holy shit, that was hilarious! But surely you're just trolling, right? :scratch:

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Rob1 wrote:
That Is the Viking way of life: roam around, raping and pillaging wherever you come etc. Yet there haven't been any reports on raping and pillaging where Viking Metal bands have played. Neither do they travel by Drakar from show to show!

Holy shit, that was hilarious! But surely you're just trolling, right? :scratch:

This thread I created for the fun of it. Not to be too serious.
Of course I do know that what i wrote down was nonsensical but that was the whole point! Which genre names sound silly to you and why? I would even suggest that making some mockery of them is just what we need to counterweight all the serious threads the MA has to offer!

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm 

The Animator wrote:
the_raytownian wrote:
I always heard when referring to music that emo or emocore was just a sub genre of hardcore punk rock. Anything that sounds like this:

The sub genre of that being scremo which sounds like emo with screaming. For some reason every now and then I hear people refer to any harsh vocals in music as scremo and that really doesn't make any sense and I have no idea how that got started.

Yes, that would describe "modern emo" I guess, with the 90s pop-punk vocals.

Here is what it sounded like in the 1980s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUS6dDczus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGyNGCtnKqY
Husker Du probably sounded a lot more Rites of Spring than any other band (even lyrically similar to a certain extent), but the term "emo" was only used in the Washington D.C. area.

Probably some similarity (although a different style) with the NYC scene, early Sonic Youth/Glen Branca scene but not as experimental and not the same.

Screamo was kind of similar but screamed vocals.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:30 am 

Still makes Emo a silly genre name: all music should reflects emotions. Music is normally written with certain feelings so to only label 1 type of music with an Emo label is very silly indeed!
BTW what you are linking is old-school Punk/Hardcore.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 am 

What I am linking to is what was originally called emo, and if you listen to the vocals, delivery and text, you'll hear why it was called that. And, while related to punk/hardcore, I would say it goes more into post-punk.

Anyways, what I think is a silly name is melodic death metal and melodic metal in general. I don't find it more melodic than other metal, and it's opposite, dissonant metal, isn't common either, perhaps in some black metal and experimental stuff. But I guess it was meant as the opposite of technical death metal with lots of chromatic passages. Still don't find it particularly melodic, but it would be interesting if someone tried to explain this to me with examples.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:26 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:

Krautrock is a dumb genre name. An attempt to sound way to German and artsy at the same time. Shame too, because the mix of rock and trippy ambiance sounds like a good idea to me.

Um, you do know the term was coined as a term of derision by a music journalist? and not a name that any bands ever applied to themselves? I have never, ever heard of a German person refer to themselves as a Kraut - it's a term of abuse the British use to describe the Germans.

I actually didn't know it was used like that. I was under the impression that the term was used due to the similarity of some music sounding like art rock Germans were producing at the time (which I suppose in some sense, is still true. But I can see why nobody would want to call themselves Krautrock now. Either way, by todays standards, it does serve as a title for some small niche in rock music.) But, I don't think the party that coined it matters. Krautrock sounds like the kind of thing that should be piled high on my plate next to sausages and potatoes, not coming out of my speakers.

Oh, but by far not the worst idea in the world. How about when Todd Rundgren started calling his music "Power pop?" :puke:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 am 

I understand it and it does fit, but I definitely have a hard time saying "funeral doom metal" to people who aren't aware of the genre with a straight face. "Torture doom" is a bit silly, but I guess it fits.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
I actually didn't know it was used like that. I was under the impression that the term was used due to the similarity of some music sounding like art rock Germans were producing at the time (which I suppose in some sense, is still true. But I can see why nobody would want to call themselves Krautrock now. Either way, by todays standards, it does serve as a title for some small niche in rock music.) But, I don't think the party that coined it matters. Krautrock sounds like the kind of thing that should be piled high on my plate next to sausages and potatoes, not coming out of my speakers.

you still kinda missed it: the dismissive term for German art-rock was "Krautrock". In Germany and among people who took it seriously, they used "Kosmiches rock", people at the NME were laughing at it and called it "Krautrock". Not quite sure what you mean by saying "music that sounded like German art-rock", as I've only heard it applied to actual 70's German prog bands.

It's one of those terms that's now larger than life.

Heres another one: What the hell does dubstep have to do with Dub? I cant hear a single trace of Augustus Pablo, Lee Perry, King tubby etc in the annoying fax-machine noise the kids are into.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:58 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Heres another one: What the hell does dubstep have to do with Dub? I cant hear a single trace of Augustus Pablo, Lee Perry, King tubby etc in the annoying fax-machine noise the kids are into.

That's because, despite what the popular culture tells you, Skrillex and his ilk are not dubstep. The mainstream media (and fans of the artists) refers to them as dubstep in the same way they referred to Linkin Park as metal.

Real dubstep is a genre of fairly chilled and atmospheric electronica originating in London. Note both the focus on smooth sub tones over mid-range and the clear dub influence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX8HBdBHCP4

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 am 

Eh, different labels. There's two genres both called R'n'B, doesn't make either less legitimate.

Wub wub wub is called dubstep, life goes on.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:38 am 

Yeah, but we have another name for the wub wub style, two actually: the detractors of the style tend to call it "brostep", whereas many of the proponents of wub wub wub prefer to go with "filthstep". Really, most of it's more akin to complextro with a more slowed-down and jerky rhythm.

At the end of the day, there's basically no similarity between Skrillex, Datsik etc and Burial, Kode9, etc.

Ceald Hraew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 am 

I find the name Depressive Suicidal Black Metal to be rather silly, which is a pity since it’s one of my favourite subgenres. Why two adjectives? Why not just Depressive Black Metal or just Suicidal Black Metal? I’d leave out the “Suicidal”, as those who dislike DSBM use it as an excuse to call it emo. And the abbreviation is an anagram of BDSM.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:53 pm 

It IS a bit much. When you are suicidal chances are that you are really depressed too!
You would tend to think that someone who makes Depressive Suicidal Black metal killed himself after writing and recording the songs!
Or wait: they are too depressed to commit suicide!
Or ....do they get depressed by people committing suicide?
Or ........................... whatever!

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:55 pm 

Pro-Christian black metal bands calling themselves "unblack metal". The most innovative thing these bands seemed to have achieved is the creation of a stupid word to define their music.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Yeah, but we have another name for the wub wub style, two actually: the detractors of the style tend to call it "brostep", whereas many of the proponents of wub wub wub prefer to go with "filthstep". Really, most of it's more akin to complextro with a more slowed-down and jerky rhythm.

At the end of the day, there's basically no similarity between Skrillex, Datsik etc and Burial, Kode9, etc.

you into SCORN at all? I have Mick Harris on my FB feed, and man is he pissed that after pretty much laying all the foundations for that stuff he lives in a council flat and Skrillex has a Grammy haha.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
Pro-Christian black metal bands calling themselves "unblack metal". The most innovative thing these bands seemed to have achieved is the creation of a stupid word to define their music.

:ugh: I guess that's also used interchangeably with 'white metal', which is as silly according to me.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
you into SCORN at all? I have Mick Harris on my FB feed, and man is he pissed that after pretty much laying all the foundations for that stuff he lives in a council flat and Skrillex has a Grammy haha.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Scorn. Harris definitely deserves more attention.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:52 pm 

Yeah, for sure. I think I have more of his albums than any other single person. Scorn live was intense. And very, very loud.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 pm 

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I remember seeing a genre on wikipedia called "nintendocore".. If I remember correctly, it was used to describe HORSE the Band among others.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm 

Rob1 wrote:
It IS a bit much. When you are suicidal chances are that you are really depressed too!
You would tend to think that someone who makes Depressive Suicidal Black metal killed himself after writing and recording the songs!
Or wait: they are too depressed to commit suicide!
Or ....do they get depressed by people committing suicide?
Or ........................... whatever!

TOO DEPRESSED TO EVEN BE DEPRESSED!
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:08 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
it's a derogatory term for bands that do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8#t=74s

I saw the video with the audio muted and I knew that I would hate them.

Prejudices aren't always bad.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:10 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I remember seeing a genre on wikipedia called "nintendocore".. If I remember correctly, it was used to describe HORSE the Band among others.

This has been mentioned like five times now.

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:59 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I kinda like the genre Natur (a trad/NWOBHM inspired American band) coined for themselves. Simple and not quite pretentious. Gonna get this patch this weekend.

Spoiler: show

I'm seriously getting tired of that old font-type. It seems like everybody is using it now :/. There's got to be a billion better ones that are similar.

On topic:

Neue Deutsche Haerte (Although not always considered metal) Is a stupid fucking name. New German Hardness. Every song that comes out is new, German, and mostly likely "Hard". It also is just a big lump for bands of German descent who use something other than traditional metal instruments. You have a Sax?! NDH! You have a keyboard?! NDH!!! You have a triangle?! N. D. H.!!!!

were they hot?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 am 

It's a reference to Neue Deutsche Welle (New German Wave), which is what German new wave bands got labelled in the 80s.

NewVogueChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
It's a reference to Neue Deutsche Welle (New German Wave), which is what German new wave bands got labelled in the 80s.

Also in the early 90's there was Neue Deutsche Todeskunst which was used for bands like Das Ich, Xmal Deutschland and most of the Danse Macacre Records bands of that time.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:47 pm 

I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned pornogrind yet haha

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 pm 

Queercore...I don't think I need to explain what this is, do I?
Ok, it's only the name given to a scene and has not much to do with anything musically, just lyrically.

Searching through the musical genres in wikipedia is very entertaining indeed. You can find lots of incredibly silly and funny stuff over there like the aforementioned queercore, emo-core (which is what emo was called back when it was being created), nerdcore or my favorite: Teddy Boy (What the heck is this?!)

Now, let's wait for the innovators who will combine all that crap with metal music.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned pornogrind yet haha

Because Lolicore is much more obnoxious.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next