Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:37 pm 

Only a handful of people participated in this challenge, but the results were good. Here's the link to all the songs, zipped.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72840986/metala ... 0grind.zip

So let's all listen and rate each other!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 pm 

diamondfarmicon- The downsouthman- okay giving this a 2nd shot. really hate the constant flow of samples, I never really liked them and if they are used I want them used sparingly and short as fuck. overall this has more to do with power violence to a degree. it's not really trad grindcore. The vocals are way too loud. very lofi, and yea for some grind they are but this sounds more of a practice than anything that was meant to be released. I can't say I'm fan as it stands. maybe if things were a differently mixed even for raw. cause hell raw can still be monsterous. and whatever that melodic horseshit you played a few times and ended the whole thing on... fucking hated that.

GermanDeather- Peacock Death Squadron... well it's not really grindcore. I guess it is in the way people consider The Day Everything Became nothing. which goes by death by slow grind. But overall it's more death metal. what the fuck is this garbage in the 2nd song with the clean shit I don't even want to listen to the rest of the songs because of that stupidity. the vocals are a tad high, drums are a bit high. I hear some grindish riffs up in here but you picked shit that wasn't some blast beats to go under it. Okay i'm kinda done with this. Not a really a fan. parts were okay.

nyarlathotepmusic- what the fuck is this? cause it's not grindcore. it's like parts that I would hear in indie rock bands mixed with black metal.

necrotic goatslaugher- well I can tell from the cover what style you were going for which was a bit more of a warmetal take on things. but at least it was closer to grind.. you know for the style you were doing. thanks for actually making short songs too. so far the biggest success here. aslo everything here is mixed perfectly to where it needs to sit. I hear everything, vocals don't dominate, there's some bass poking out. goods.

okay infinitenexus, lets see how good you tackled goregrind...first song... perfect. I'm glad you studied up on this cause it's nailed perfectly and you are pretty much nailing the mix, the vocals though aren't too loud seem like they are sitting above the mix and not really directly in it. I will have to say this is actually a bit more musical than what you would hear with goregrind which is more of a speed blur. 'broken glass in your eyes' yes. goods. I'll listen to this again. so what are you calling his project?

to everyone who did something, I'm glad you did even if I shit on it. At least you tried. I just was rather uninspired to bother picking up to do this. I did do 4 songs and only did vocals on one of them. maybe I'll pick up and at least mix it and throw it up. who knows. oh well there ya go.

nyarlathotepmusic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:18 pm 

To shed some light on the song titles and some other sonic weirdness going on in the songs, my collection is a (I guess Cyber Grind) concept piece about the Sci Fi Short Story/Computer Game 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream'.

The writing/recording process for me was a huge cluster and I admit that I am not quite sure if this ended up even being Grindcore but all that aside, this was tons of fun. Thanks again to Infinitenexus and SLK for putting this together.

Side Note: All vocals were performed and recorded last Wednesday in my car to my phone while I was stuck in traffic on my way home from work. It was very therapeutic and I recommend everybody try it (so long as you watch the road) :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:37 pm 

lol on doing it the car while in traffic. haha. Never liked what would be cyber grind. But at least you had fun doing it and that's all that matters Note: didn't turn out being grindcore.

and no thanks to me. I didn't do shit for anything for it. :/

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:46 am 

I'm just going to use my standard band name, SLK. I noticed what you mean about the vocals. I still have some massaging to do on the mix, I also need to get my compression right. I think the kick drums might be a tad too loud also, and are triggering the compressor too often. Once I fix the mix and get some cover art I'm going to give it away on bandcamp.

Ugh, it's 3:45am and I'm wide awake. Just woke up an hour ago for no reason and can't get back to sleep. Fuck this. I'll listen to everything later today after work and post my thoughts.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:15 pm 

cool deal. I thought overall the music side sounded pretty good.

germandeather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:14 am 

Alright,
i'll rate this on a scale from 0 to 10.

infinitenexus, i would say this is a modern take on grind, with the mix emphasizing it.
As SLK already mentioned the vocals are kinda out of the mix, that aside everything sounds in its place.
The songwriting is divers but stays at the grind roots all the time, i ascribe
myself the recognition of "Only a shadow remains" influences, which is obvious and serves the songwriting
more than spoiling it.
audible vocals with sophisticated lyrics. "i shove my cock into..."
However, some of the riff patterns sound the same. i think if you had more time you could put a really good LP/EP together.

9/10

awblaster,
this sounds like a nattefrost side project to me, but even if you missed the task i enjoyed your stuff.
The production is good, the songwriting doesnt get boring, and the songtitles are hilarious...
nice job!

7/10

nyarlathotepmusic,
o_O
well, SLK already summed it up - indie rock black metal
but its really good/interesting at times, like the one part at the end of "gorrister".
The production is quite noisey, i like that.
Over all, its fucked up psychedelic extreme metal.

6/10

diamondfarmicon,
actually this is quite nice, i like the rawness, but a little better production would have served the songs.
Too much (or too long) samples. Good songwriting, i enjoyed your drumming.
Again a hilarious concept. listenable

4/10

Whats with DisciplineOfRevenge,garthmargengi and the others?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:17 am 

they never did anything. I didn't get around to finishing vocals and then ain't really thought about it since. :/ I'll probably take the songs and use them in Kamikaze Pilots cause that's pretty much what they sounded like but with double bass... since KP is exclusively single foot action.

germandeather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:49 am 

oh, thats surprising since quite a lot of people said theyd join the challenge and mentioned their progress. hpwever, ill just wait for the others to review...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:03 pm 

I'm not too shocked honestly. I'm more surprised at my own since I normally participate and have my shit in way ahead of time. This time I just didn't feel it. I guess uninspired. I think it was more so since I had just came off writing and recording 2 full lengths, a split, part of an ep, along with tracking a 3rd full that was written but was lost when my old computer took a dump. All of that was grind & power violence.. I think I was sorta devoid of thought at that time.haha.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 pm 

Sorry I've been busy lately, tonight I'll listen to everything and rate errbody's stuff.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 pm 

sorry it took me so long to listen to everything and get this done.

diamondfamicon - I thought the idea of making your stuff based on the maury show was pretty awesome, in a comical way. The samples were kinda funny, but sometimes a bit long. Your voice reminds me of johan liiva on the first arch enemy album, not in a bad way. I thought the overall sound of the vocals was better than the instruments, which kinda sounded like they were recorded in a small room with one mic. Enjoyable though, and some of those clips were funny.

germandeather - the drums sound like they're from guitar pro or something, kinda distracts from the music, but at least it's full of blast beats like proper. I'm kinda digging your vocal sound though, has a neat kinda sound to it. Has almost a black metal sound to it, your vocals. I think with a better drum sound and clearer guitars this would really rock. I enjoyed it though.

Nyarlothetep - I think I spelled that wrong. Same thing with the drums, just a bit too fake sounding and I think it detracts. I think some of the songs should be a bit shorter also, to more properly be considered "grind." Overall it has a strong punk vibe to it. I think the song Nimdok has some good riffs in it, I'd love to hear that one fully developed into a proper song.

Necrotic goatslaughter - very strong black metal vibe to your music. Actually I'd like to hear some of these riffs properly developed into a solid black metal song. Also enjoyable

my own stuff - I really had a blast doing this, as evidenced by the 20 something songs I ended up writing. I'm still working on fixing the EQ or compression or whatever on the vocals to get them to fit in more, and get the overall mix sounding better, then I'll release it as an EP. Two of the songs on there, Burned and The Meat Grinder are getting turned into full length songs, as I enjoyed the riffs so much. This challenge was probably the best little bit of songwriting in my musical life. Hopefully the next one is as fun.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:18 pm 

i got about four songs into the writing process, but with my former powerviolence band doing stuff around the same time i didn't have time to record them and program drums the way i wanted. :( hopefully i can join in on the next one.

Reply to topic