* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
Speaking of Metallica, reminded me of this cover. I don't think I'd even call it a cover. But a friend of mine PM me this shit a couple of months back. Never laughed so hard.

Spoiler: show

That reminds me. One time a few years ago I caught a taxi. The taxi driver was Indian (big surprise). He said "let me put on my taxi driving music". I said fine. So he puts on this CD. It was basically Bollywood style music with no sense of rhythm or tune. It soon became apparent that this was a CD he recorded himself. It was by far one of the worst things I'd ever heard. Every couple of years or so I hear of a friend or a friend of a friend meeting the same taxi driver. He makes the guy in that video sound like Pavarotti. Thanks for reminding me of that incident.

Bollywood itself is a horror upon mankind. It should've been abominated a long time ago, instead it's becoming popular day by day. Pathetic.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:39 am 

doomster999 wrote:

Bollywood itself is a horror upon mankind. It should've been abominated a long time ago, instead it's becoming popular day by day. Pathetic.

It's truly heartening to hear an Indian say that.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm 

Subrick wrote:

Pain. Nothing but that.

Jesus fucking Christ. Who does that?

I feel bad for the little kids sitting down, watching. They look like they are waiting their turn to a gas chamber.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:30 pm 

I tend to cut kids bands some slack. After all, theyre just kids having fun, not serious recording artists. You could find hundreds of bands like this across the country trying their hand at metal songs and it's like, you gotta start somewhere.

But experienced recording artists like Korn, and the band that did that absolutely abominable Iron Maiden cover, well, they have no such excuse. These are artists who supposably have the skills, talent and experience to do a decent song, and yet they still butcher a great original tune. I have a far less tolerant view of those bands cover versions, than some junior high kids jamming in a packed gym.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:40 pm 

Worst or best, you decide:

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm 

Theres whole bad album of Blind Guardian covers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_From_the_Underworld

The only good one is Delirious - Majesty, its a nice thrash version of it

sadly theres none on youtube i'll try get around to uploading some tommorow

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:02 pm 

splyu wrote:

I don't even
Was zur Hölle?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:04 pm 

No clue whatsoever, but I honestly enjoyed the musical arrangement.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:12 pm 

I think Sublime sucks. They absolutely butchered such a great song as this.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm 

I don't know man I found it bearable. They just made that song completely different...in a sense, their own. It's hardly recognizable compared to the original song. If one likes ska/reggae-infused punk, it's difficult not to appreciate some of Sublime's work. Sure they were very mainstream and there are tons of better artists but that's just my take on things.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 pm 

Hellrisen wrote:

Only Metallica could take a Discharge song and do a techno remix of it.

What is even remotely techno about that?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 am 

Subrick wrote:

I think Sublime sucks. They absolutely butchered such a great song as this.

They took a huge influence of theirs and made it their own. I appreciate that much more than a carbon copy.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 am 

Hellrisen wrote:

Only Metallica could take a Discharge song and do a techno remix of it.

Huh? You don't have to like Metallica, but where the fuck do you get a "techno remix" from this track?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:25 am 

In the mind of the rabid anti-Metallica fan, anything Metallica does is one of the following things:

1. Not metal.
2. Merely a cash grab because their fans are idiots who will buy anything the band sells without question.
3. Offensive to the sensibilities of every human being ever that likes "real" music.
4. If they're covering a song, the style of the song is changed to something completely out of this omniverse (such as Discharge suddenly becoming techno) because Metallica have evil genre shapeshifting magick hidden in their sacks of gold and bad music.
5. Makes Cliff Burton roll over in his grave.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:49 am 

I've gotten used to people calling all electronic dance music "techno" (which is as grossly inaccurate as saying everything with guitars is metal), but this has got to be the biggest stretch of a genre's definition I've ever heard.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 am 

It could be just a malaprop. Maybe he intended to mean "remix" but since most remixes are in the "techno" space, he used it in the same breath. I'm merely trying to make sense of the nonsensical. But if it's something else, then fuck. It's plain weird to be calling that shit techno.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:21 pm 

My biggest problem with that song is all the random guitar noise all over the track. I feel like that's what gives the cover it's techno sensibilities.

And I was using hyperbole boys, it's no big deal.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 pm 

I... What?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 pm 

...and to think I tried to make sense of it :eek:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 am 

Terrible attempt at a backtrack there. Just more senseless Metallica bashing for the sake of it.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 am 

Are we listening to the right song here? Can anybody honestly listen to that cover and consider that a good version of that song? How is that straight-out Metallica bashing.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 am 

What's the quality of the song got to do with what you said in your first post?
For the first disc of Garage Inc, it's one of the better songs on the record.

Riffs wrote:

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 am 

splyu wrote:

That is really epic. Not that it is their usual type of music.

So that is just a cover of "Paranoid" with different lyrics? I'm not even sure it could be called a cover in this case.

I like her singing much, much better than Ozzy in any case.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:19 pm 

markoff_chaney wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
Speaking of Metallica, reminded me of this cover. I don't think I'd even call it a cover. But a friend of mine PM me this shit a couple of months back. Never laughed so hard.

That reminds me. One time a few years ago I caught a taxi. The taxi driver was Indian (big surprise). He said "let me put on my taxi driving music". I said fine. So he puts on this CD. It was basically Bollywood style music with no sense of rhythm or tune. It soon became apparent that this was a CD he recorded himself. It was by far one of the worst things I'd ever heard. Every couple of years or so I hear of a friend or a friend of a friend meeting the same taxi driver. He makes the guy in that video sound like Pavarotti. Thanks for reminding me of that incident.

You dont happen to have a copy of that eh? lol :)

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:32 pm 

If I didn't already hate Arch Enemy, this cover would be enough to make me start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u6kpXCjOI8

I hate when bands do this to classic metal songs. Seriously, who the fuck thinks this is a good idea?

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm 

Check out this cover of Aces High http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkTRV7vz ... hhDQEzjiyw ... It's pretty good.

Myjk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:04 pm 

Overkill covering Sabbath's "Changes" on "Coverkill" They do an admirable version, but it's Sabbath's worst song - over emotional pap and no thrash band should ever cover a song like that

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:45 am 

There's far far worse Black Sabbath out there. Like that shitty song they collaborated with that rapper on.

Riffs wrote:

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 am 

That's Ice-T you're talking about. Don't be fuckin' with the OG, man.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Dave Dramen and Disturbed making a mockery of Phil Collins' "Land of Confusion"

I didn't think they did too bad a job with Land of Confusion. In Flames on the other hand did a pretty crappy job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHsPJ9IlP8

Turbo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:25 pm 

There are a Lot of Awful Cover songs in various of the "Tribute to..." albums also...

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:26 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
Dave Dramen and Disturbed making a mockery of Phil Collins' "Land of Confusion"

I didn't think they did too bad a job with Land of Confusion. In Flames on the other hand did a pretty crappy job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHsPJ9IlP8

I dunno, the In Flames version is pretty rad.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:18 pm 

That Impious cover of One that was posted is flat out hilarious in a stupid way.

Anywho, honestly almost any cover Six Feet Under does is pretty bad, but their covers of Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck and Piranha are tolerable. However Graveyard Classics 2....oh god.

One could argue Exhumed's karaoke version of Madonna's Material Girl is terrible, but that was them dicking around with a karakoke machine at a Six Flags in 1996 apparently. However the cover of No Presents For Christmas also on Platters of Splatter is amazingly stupid.

Children of Bodom's Britney Spears cover is notable for being massively fucking overplayed and overrated. If I wanted a out-of-character cover of something popular that isn't overplayed to shit, I'll take Amon Amarth's cover of SoaD's Aerials.

Dead Infection's cover of Stayin' Alive is terrible, but it's hilarious. Then again, I don't know if it's a cover as much as it is them playing a drum beat over the original...

Holy Grail's cover of No Presents For Christmas gets an honorable mention for absolutely butchering solo (why did they just stop and play Carol of the Bells?) and ending (off-key, the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer bit is missing (at least Exhumed kept it, though like Impious they threw in an inappropriate blast beat because they couldn't do the distortion), and off-timing).

...but then I remember THIS. Oh god...

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:34 pm 

She Wants Revenge butchered Kidnap the Sandy Claws, one of the most fun tunes from NBC.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:14 pm 

I kind of remember some crappy cover, or maybe several, from later Norther, but I don't have the stomach to check it out now. Early Norther was cool though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 pm 

elf48687789 wrote:
I kind of remember some crappy song, or maybe several, from later Norther, but I don't have the stomach to check it out now.

Fixed that for you.

Mrtvovina
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:20 am 

This makes me vomit and then eat my vomit amd then vomit again and shit all over it and then mix it with some vinager and vegetables then eat it all again ferment it in my stomic and then pass ges all morning at work

but the singer is pretty good I might add :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8sNoodIDk

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:35 am 

That was indeed unbearably dreadful, Mrtvovina. There's no weak link when all the musicians suck equally.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:38 pm 

The vocalist was off-key by approximatly six half-steps; a virtual tri-tone of off-key-ness. I mean, if he had been only a half-step up or down he could at least have harmonized with the bass in spots. Speaking of which, all I could hear was the bass, up until the laughable attempt at the solo.

So yeah this was bad, but in a "so bad it's good" kinda way. Just like a bunch of kids in their first band, trying to have fun. Seriously Korn's Pink Floyd cover was much, much worse, because those are supposably professional musicians playing that crap whereas these guys are obviously just amatuers.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Just like a bunch of kids in their first band, trying to have fun.

I don't want to sound a certain way by saying this, but the first time I played with others in a band I didn't sound anywhere near as bad as a lot of kids on this thread, if only because I was far too embarrassed to play with others if I wasn't going to be halfway decent (let alone play LIVE). Have these guys no self-awareness? It isn't like you need to be a professional musician to know if you're singing off key or downstroaking every note in a solo.

Not saying amateurs shouldn't form bands and play covers, they absolutely should. I just think they need to practice a little before they get on a stage and play for a crowd.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next