Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheHellRazor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:59 pm 

I'm kind of curious, what things are you guys into outside of metal?

I'm a bit of a movie nerd and I like non-super hero comic books like Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, just never got into the whole super hero thing I guess. I love space and shit.

Things you like outside of metal? Maybe things you usually don't admit, or something of the sort?

Last edited by TheHellRazor on Wed May 01, 2013 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:39 pm 

I'd probably say that besides metal, my biggest obsession is horror films, followed by weight training and music in general.
Horror films because they are awesome. My favorite are probably 80's horror comedies, but I also love 50s-60s Vincent Price/Hammer Horror era and a lot of 90s and Italian stuff. 70's exploitation not so much.
Weight training because it becomes a way of life. The more dedicated you are, the more you plan your day around your routine, from when you have your meals to the time you go to bed.
Music in general because I just love to discover all kids of music. I've recently really gotten into cyberpunk ambient and a genre that appears to be a goregrind version of horrorcore hip hop.

EDIT: Tried to think of a guilty pleasure to match your own MLP confession. All I can think of is that I still have a blanky that I've loved since I was 2 or 3 or something.

EDIT: Okay I thought of another one that I'm totally not ashamed of. I've been subscribed to Lustiges Taschenbuch since the year 2001. It's a German comic book that comes out every month with stories about Donald Duck and friends. I'm sure any German on this board will tell you about how they're EVERYWHERE in Germany. The quality of the stories dropped at around 2005-06, but I'm pretty sure that's because I just 'grew up'. Still, I love reading them and they help me keep up my German.

Last edited by Poisonfume on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:41 pm 

Eh really the usual stuff. Into video games, weight training, sports, movies, politics, etc.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:25 pm 

Meh, everyone's 'into' things. He's probably asking about the stuff we've got a special soft spot for.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:38 pm 

even more than metal my main obsession is (you might guess it from my signature) the 80s (and early 90s), the
decade I spend my childhood in. Be it movies, cartoons, comics, action toys, videogames (Amiga, SNES and Sega Genesis
as well as Arcade games mainly), music (yes, the whole stuff from Pop/Rock, AOR to synthpop etc). I love
talking and writing about it, creating art in the style of back-then, searching up stuff on the net, collecting
action toys and what not.

Besides that reading (mostly Weird War stuff, Dieselpunk and 30s/40s pulp scifi and fantasy) and doing
weights are the other things I mostly am "occupied" with... Oh, and I also have some interest in the
ehistory from 1900-1930 with WW1 being the most intersting to me. Some years ago I was also quite a
lot into martial arts (Ninjutsu/Bujinkan, Muay Boran) but nowadays I don't train in a club anymore and just
do some stuff for myself just for fun and keep doing my fave moves in some "shadowboxing" way ;)

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:44 pm 

If I'm not listening to metal then I'm listening to post-rock. While I'm still getting into the genre the bands I've heard make me want to delve further into the genre.

Another hobby of mine is Mega Man and Pokemon. I grew up with these and I still find a lot of enjoyment in them today.

But most recently my interest in Batman has been piqued. While I don't own any of the comic books, I've seen the important movies made since the 1989 film as well as Batman: The Animated Series and subsequent spin-offs. It gets more intriguing the further you go into it and I look forward to anything else I can discover.

LeMetalNoire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:40 pm 

I'm into comic books(superhero and alternative). I like philosophy alot. I've started to gain an interest in mmorpgs like Guild Wars. I like to watch the most screwed up disturbing movies I can such as Necromantik, Human Centipede, Cannibal Holocaust and Serbian Film ^_^

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:45 pm 

Film buff/collector, mainly horror, giallo, and stuff that came out before the 90's. Although I do have newer films in my collection, the 70's and 80's are my main interest. Weight lifting, which obviously includes proper nutrition. I don't drink or smoke anymore, but I am addicted to caffeine. Reading, everything from classics to modern fiction. I bought a Kindle, but still read traditional paper books as well. Video games, I have a PS3 and X-Box 360 but don't play as much as I used to. But when I'm in the mood to play hours will go by without me noticing. That's about it for now...

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:41 am 

I'm into gaming (boards games and especially tabletop roleplaying games, but not computer or console stuff).

I am into wine.

I am into cinema.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:56 am 

I'm big into movies and music as a whole. For movies I'm big on horror, and for music outside of metal I'm mostly into ambient, jazz, and orchestral (both classical and film music). I'm very much into history, literature, sociology, psychology, elements of political science, and art. I drum as many know here, and I'm getting more interested in the production side of music making. I'm also a video editor, although usually just on a more simplistic level than most.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:02 am 

I rather like cheese.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 am 

FISHING!! Seriously I love it, be from a beach, boat, rocky shoreline, streams or in river/estuary systems. The thrill you get when hooking and landing a decent fish is a great adrenaline rush. Plus I like the gear you can get, and spend quite a lot of money on my hardware, in order to get the best results and performance, and on terminal tackle (lures, swivels, sinkers, hooks, soft plastic lures, braid, leader etc...).

I also like beer a lot. And camping/hiking/travel. Plus other things.

My collection

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:17 am 

That depends. What kind of beer?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:21 am 

Porter, stout, Trappist, pales, IPA's, barleywines, bock, weissbier, amber, golden, Belgian, good Australian craft beer, my mates breweries beer etc...

My collection

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:10 am 

Troma Movies, and Basketball. Used to be a big fan of Indy wrestling but I lost interest in it when it just became about huge spots instead of crafting a good match.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:15 am 

For me it's video games, drinking beer, exploring abandoned places and watching TV.

Bruce500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:26 am 

Skiing, Biking, and geeky computer stuff. Also, Minecraft and various other video games, although I'm not a big fan of the mainstream FPS games. I love building and modifying custom computers, although I rarely have enough money to do much...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:32 am 

A bunch of things that come straight to my mind.

Technology in general ranging from mobile phones to anything new and innovative. I follow TechCrunch and Slashgear almost on a daily basis. I enjoy reading about start-ups and what people in those circles are trying to do. Photography is something that I picked up last year and I hope I'm getting better at it, I just need more time. With regards to music and outside metal, I listen to quite a spectrum of artists - ska to indie-folk to drone to hardcore punk to some rap. It depends on what catches my fancy really. I also enjoy playing guitar but I think I've reached my plateau (of laziness).

Last edited by shouvince on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:33 am 

Besides listening to metal and other music I like reading books, watching movies (mainly horrors,mysterious and based on true events). I also play the guitar and lot of time I spend on my computer. I am fond of some sports like biking, swimming, etc.
My other hobbies are nature, animals, chess, occultism and foreign languages, especially English.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 am 

TheHellRazor wrote:
I'm kind of curious, what things are you guys into outside of metal?
I'm a bit of a movie nerd and I like non-super hero comic books like Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, just never got into the whole super hero thing I guess. I love space and shit. This is really outside of metal and risking being completely shot down for this here, I do collect My Little Ponies. I just keep them in a box in my closet though, I always end up feeling non-metal and like a pussy for it.
Things you like outside of metal? Maybe things you usually don't admit, or something of the sort?

That's NOT easy!
Listening all kind of music, going to shows, films, series, nature documentaries, reading, photography...
Touge and racetrack, enduro, hiking, bouldering, scuba diving, fishing, biking,...
Cooking, beer, local food and folklore, traveling,...
AND whatever I get interested in and makes me LEARN new and interesting things!

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:22 am 

Marijuana! No seriously, I would like to consider myself a connoisseur of sorts. There's a lot of science involved in growing it too, which I love reading about. I'm fairly decent with computers too(though not much of a gamer), well, enough to be able to earn a meager income from them. I'm also into Science Fiction films, hiking, politics, philosophy and history as well.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:20 am 

More than metal, I love a good book. Literature was my first love. I used to do a lot of pen & paper RPGs, but my interest has subsided in the last few years. I did recently get Pathfinder, though, and a new publication called Dungeon World, in hopes to get my old group back together, or a new one with old friends. I'm also a pseudo-connoisseur of hot sauce and coffee. Other than that, everything falls into normal interests.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:45 am 

Radio dramas. Especially the 40's - 50's horror and suspense series like Escape, Hall of Fantasy, The Witch's Tale, Creeps by Night.

Oh, and if we're admitting guilty pleasures... hentai manga. I swear, I read them mostly for the stories...

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:12 pm 

I don't do a lot. I like walking and exploring new places, but rarely do it. I don't read as much as I like to either. I read 8 books (5 of them being the huge ASOIAF monstrositys on my e-reader) over the summer, since I've gotten back to uni in September I've read 40 pages of crime and punishment. Most days are just a mix of listening to music in my room, surfing the internet, and watching tv with my housemates.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:21 pm 

Well, I suppose I don't have any huge passions outside of metal other than guitar playing, but the two often to hand in hand. I also like to read, listen to talk radio, run, hike and rock climb, and also waste hours on Minecraft when uni allows it :P

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:34 pm 

Music. I make drone or folk or pop stuff almost every day. I read. I do weights and run. K plan my entire day around these things and I do them each day. Music in particular is demanding and overpowering and I always feel like I am on the cusp of capturing that one divine thing that justifies all my work. It's actually really terrible. I'll throw away days and weeks of work because I end up hating them. I'll lose sleep. I'll just sort of disconnect.

Ugh. Same thing can be said for writing. I wish to create joy and terror and I just can't fucking do it and its so goddamn hard and it just eats me alive sometimes.

I also drink extremely heavily and used to be a man of fine tastes but now I just drink. I like hiking and exploring urban areas. But for the most part life is divided between music and reading, and long bouts of insobriety.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:33 pm 

Take a wild guess.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 pm 

Trying to figure out where it all went wrong.

Also:

-Listening 2 muzik (in general)
-Makin' cray noises (w/ pedals, tapes, electronics, computers and such)
-Eating stuff that tastes good until it tastes bad (then putting Sriracha on it to make it taste good again)

That's it.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:22 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
hentai manga. I swear, I read them mostly for the stories...

:lol:

I'm a raging weeb. I'm into anime, manga, doujin games, specially bullet hells, shit like that.
I'm big on martial arts. Don't practice any nowadays though, I do weight lifting instead.
I also enjoy Hiking, nature, and whatever else that involves crawling deep in some obscure woodland.
Recently, I've taken a liking to photography.
I used to read a lot, but my brains are fried, and I can't keep up a good pace anymore.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:37 pm 

hentai manga, of course... haha, but no guilt over here!

History, literature, Warhammer 40k, although I don't play anymore since... well, a lot. But the background is awesome, and metal! everything is so over the top, I love it.
Also, weight training, gaming, racist and misogynist jokes

Music outside metal, there's not much to say, some spanish punk bands, a grand total of two non-metal bands from Argentina that I like, and there's Lady Gaga.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:01 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Trying to figure out where it all went wrong.

Also:

-Listening 2 muzik (in general)
-Makin' cray noises (w/ pedals, tapes, electronics, computers and such)
-Eating stuff that tastes good until it tastes bad (then putting Sriracha on it to make it taste good again)

That's it.

Let's be best friends.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:13 pm 

Well, I could make an extensive list including sports, video games, literature etc. (which are obviously there), but I'll just say that the biggest passion for me is Mahjong (Riichi). I play it about 2-5 hours a day on the internet (Japanese sites), and whenever we can pull it off in the real life - we do. I would probably play more, but I got to sleep, attend university, socialize and so forth, so yeah. :P I'm translating a book from Japanese right now too, and possibly might write my own in the future - related to Mahjong. It's a plausible career too, as I technically have the qualifications to play it as a professional in real life (in Japan). Would just have to pass a 50-page test at this point, where you need to answer questions related to theory of the game.

YinYang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:26 pm 

Basketball. I play myself and I follow the NBA as much as time allows. Too bad most of the games are in the middle of the night here, but for really good ones I stay up. I'm a big Kobe fan and I'd love for him him to win one more ring, but I doubt they'll even get to the playoffs this season.
Other than that, I'm a HUGE Bob Dylan fan. I have all his stuff and and read a ton of secondary literature on him and his work. Just love this guy. The amount of lyrics I know by heart sometimes even scares me :D

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:32 pm 

Deviante wrote:
Well, I could make an extensive list including sports, video games, literature etc. (which are obviously there), but I'll just say that the biggest passion for me is Mahjong (Riichi). I play it about 2-5 hours a day on the internet (Japanese sites), and whenever we can pull it off in the real life - we do. I would probably play more, but I got to sleep, attend university, socialize and so forth, so yeah. :P I'm translating a book from Japanese right now too, and possibly might write my own in the future - related to Mahjong. It's a plausible career too, as I technically have the qualifications to play it as a professional in real life (in Japan). Would just have to pass a 50-page test at this point, where you need to answer questions related to theory of the game.

Mahjong seems pretty cool, I'd like to learn it someday

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:37 pm 

SF & Fantasy (since I was 10). I read a lot - literature, anthropology, science...

and lately jigsaw puzzles, usually from 1500 to 3000 pieces, I still haven't tried bigger ones...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:31 pm 

Tentacle hentai is the only good kind.

Mostly videogames and anime I guess. Videogaming both old, new, and collecting is #1 above metal and everything else for me.

I love sci-fi anything.

Think this should be the year I pick up a few more hobbies, maybe get in a work out routine that I can hold or finally pick up an instrument again. Hmmm...

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 pm 

i like to land base fish and i like to think that i am going to get back into surfing again sometime soon, i have surfed all my life apart from the last 2 years.
I am disqualified for drink driving at the mo, so i just like to grow my cannabis plant (it really is a fun hobby) and watch horror movies and read i guess, and get really fucked off i'm stuck at home all the time

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:10 am 

I love swimming, walking, reading and - here's a surprise - movies! I also love board games, card games, etc, and luckily all my friends do as well - makes for some fun laid back get togethers. Getting a taste for various beers too.

I'm too busy right now with school to start up any big new hobby but hoping to expand my cooking reserves this summer, as well as maybe some other new shit.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:28 am 

Cooking is hands down, one of the most important things to learn.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:46 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Cooking is hands down, one of the most important things to learn.

qft

I ate nothing but teryaki chicken for like a month straight just so I could master that alone. Diced almonds, bell peppers, grilled jalapenos, raw bak choy, hella spices, diced onion and baste the fucking chicken in that sauce yo. (also use pot butter and cinnamon with the rice for added bonus)

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next