Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:29 am 

Over the years there has been no shortage of terrible cover versions. Of these, which do you consider to be the worst?
For me the answer is easy: Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds as performed by William Shatner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-yy2URAYqU
William Shatner's covers are notoriously bad, but most of the time they are so cheesy as to be amusing. However with this song he reaches the absolute pinnacle in shittiness. Whose idea was it for him to "sing" the song in the style he does? And more importantly, once the song was recorded, whose idea was it to release it to the public?
Anyway, your opinions?

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:06 am 

Quite possibly this emo band covering "Run to the Hills". Shittiest thing I've ever heard.

Spoiler: show
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:30 am 

Been done before but my choice would be:

KSE - Holy Diver
As much as I enjoy KSE (Leach era) in general, that cover was just so wrong! Especially Howard's yeayeahs. Just terrible! This has been spoken about it here umpteen number of times!

Also, songs from Six Feet Under's Graveyard Classics I and II. Ugh.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 am 

shouvince wrote:

I really like them, probably the best SFU albums, really.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:41 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
shouvince wrote:

I really like them, probably the best SFU albums, really.

That's really telling on the band on the whole then :) But yeah, it's better (relatively) than their original material any day. Their cover of 'Piranha' was kinda tolerable.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:39 pm 

haha doomster999, that's the worst thing I ever heard in my entire life.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:14 pm 

This fucker right here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmJwLNBH8V0

His other videos are pretty terrible, and I actually feel bad for him. Because he sucks.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:49 pm 

I remember some Metallica tribute album that had a really fucking terrible death metal cover of One with out of place blast beats everywhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:57 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Quite possibly this emo band covering "Run to the Hills". Shittiest thing I've ever heard.

I remember HATING this cover when it came out. I still do. There is nothing about it that resembles Run to the Hills beyond the lyrics.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:01 pm 

For a split second when the spoiler opened I read the band name as Sigh. Straight after reading the previous sentence of it being an emo band. My heart skipped a beat or seven.

Fast_Kill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:01 pm 

doomster999 wrote:

Who the fuck allowed them to realese that piece of crap! Holy Shit was that bad.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:05 pm 

The thing about it is that the music itself is honestly not bad. It's the fact that it's called "Run to the Hills" when it has almost literally nothing to suggest that it's a cover of that song.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54 pm 

"Another Brick in the Wall."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkiJJ_NkD0

Oh, the horror...the horror...

Now even though I was never a diehard Floyd fan, I always did like them. Always a great, timeless classic band.
This is horrible though. An insult to a great band. The band is horrible, the music is horrible, and it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that I almost never want to hear the original again- and I LIKED the original!

There are a few such instances of nu-metal bands covering classic rock songs, like 5 finger death punch butchering a Bad Company song, Dave Dramen and Disturbed making a mockery of Phil Collins' "Land of Confusion" and a while ago I heard some band, cant remember who it was now but not that it matters- utterly ruining "Holy Diver." In most cases, they are pretty cringe worthy. Korn's Pink Floyd turd is probably the worst of them, though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 pm 

Pain. Nothing but that.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:41 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybDCObQRRM4
this

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:47 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybDCObQRRM4
this

How come people are not shitting in their own hands and flinging the crap at the singer?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:48 pm 

markoff_chaney wrote:
Over the years there has been no shortage of terrible cover versions. Of these, which do you consider to be the worst? For me the answer is easy: Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds as performed by William Shatner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-yy2URAYqU William Shatner's covers are notoriously bad, but most of the time they are so cheesy as to be amusing. However with this song he reaches the absolute pinnacle in shittiness. Whose idea was it for him to "sing" the song in the style he does? And more importantly, once the song was recorded, whose idea was it to release it to the public?
As bad as that is, I think his Bohemian Rhapsody cover is worse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKo4FMzt_hM
I think the fact that for the most part he actually tries to do a reasonable job and do the song justice,
but then he adds his twists and quirks throughout and it's just unsettling, especially with that CG William Shatner face.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:51 pm 

For some obscure reason I even own the album... Loudhouse's version of Smoke on the Water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXeRJVN3gk

And yes, the album is available for trade.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:54 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
I remember some Metallica tribute album that had a really fucking terrible death metal cover of One with out of place blast beats everywhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Impious. You're welcome

Also, I've never understood the extraordinary hate on the "Holy Diver" cover. I get it, the song is an untouchable classic and I will never disagree with that, and KSE sucks (which I can't really say either way since I've heard like one song of theirs) and they added a breakdown and screams in the bridge, which is kinda stupid, yeah, but it's pretty inoffensive. At least they did their own thing with it, I always respect that more than a note-for-note transcription. Howard's voice is fine and the song is played well.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:14 pm 

Some classic butcherings:

And some solo instrument covers that are just fascinatingly bad.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:41 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Numerator_41 wrote:

Impious. You're welcome

Yes! I don't think it'd be right to thank someone for posting that, however...

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:45 pm 

subrick, that drum cover of dragonforce was awesome.... made my day :lol:

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:18 pm 

There is no end to the amount of worthless covers you can find on the internet by amateur bands. Actual professional musicians, however, have no excuse.

10 Masked Men are a shitty cover band. Every song Cradle of Filth have covered are pretty awful too, but Temptation and Devil Woman stand out for their special shittiness.

Also, Death's Painkiller cover is pretty dreadful, though I wouldn't call it the 'worst of all time'.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:26 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
There is no end to the amount of worthless covers you can find on the internet by amateur bands. Actual professional musicians, however, have no excuse.

10 Masked Men are a shitty cover band. Every song Cradle of Filth have covered are pretty awful too, but Temptation and Devil Woman stand out for their special shittiness.

Also, Death's Painkiller cover is pretty dreadful, though I wouldn't call it the 'worst of all time'.

Hey you! I think Death's version of Painkiller is pretty damn good.

Also, Cradle did a fine version of Bestial Lust about 9 years ago on Nymphetamine. That and their version of Hallowed Be Thy Name is fairly awesome IMO. Temptation, however, does indeed suck numerous dicks. It was right about the time that song's video came out that you could tell the band was falling to pieces. Thankfully they rebounded with Godspeed and Marthus joining the fray.

KingAlastor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:32 pm 

Death's "Painkiller" is probably my favorite cover of all time.

Slayer's cover of "Born to Be Wild" is pretty wretched. It's the same shitty, uninspired riff banging on for 3 minutes while Tom yells out the words like he's reading from cue cards. It's not even good Slayer, since it's from their God Hates Us All years.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 pm 

Yeah honestly their "Hallowed..." cover is okay, and I do somewhat like their Celtic Frost and "Mr. Crowley" covers. It's just Temptation and Devil Woman that drive me over the edge.

Also, I actually really liked Dimmu Borgir's cover of "Perfect Strangers". That's one I would have thought would belong into the word's worst category until I heard it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:42 pm 

Dimmu's Perfect Strangers is great. Snowy Shaw really makes that tune special with his helium vocals and they put their own spin on it without completely straying from what the original tune is like. Unlike, ya know, Sign and Run to the Hills.

I've seen a lot of hate for their Black Metal cover. I'm fairly certain a good amount of said hate is solely because Cradle did something involving the words "black" and "metal".

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:50 pm 

I remembered another one. Cradle of Filth's "No Time to Cry" Sisters of Mercy cover was dog shit. Don't get me wrong, since CoF introduced me to extreme metal I have a special place in my heart for them...but some of their stuff really sucks.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:55 pm 

As much of a Thornography apologist as I am, there's no denying that it was around that album that the band was really suffering creatively. They were stale and strapped for ideas, making stuff that went from alright to mediocre to flat out crap, especially when compared to their golden years in the 90s. As mentioned though, they thankfully got Marthus after Adrian quit and they made their "return to form" with Godspeed, which might I add featured a pretty banging cover of Into the Crypts of Rays.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm 

I've seen a Mudvayne cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit, I was not impressed.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 pm 

No one should be impressed by Mudvayne in the first place. They have exactly ONE song that's in any way remotely entertaining, and that's Determined.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 am 

Only Metallica could take a Discharge song and do a techno remix of it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:11 am 

Oh please. Most of the covers on Garage Inc. are good. The Mercyful Fate medley, Turn the Page (the one Metallica song I got my dad hooked on), and Die Die My Darling are the best from the first disc, and practically all of the 2nd disc except the Motorhead covers are great as well. The Motorhead covers I don't think suck, but it's just James and Lars dicking around for the most part so they can't really be judged in the same light that one would judge Garage Days Re-Revisited.

Last edited by Subrick on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:17 am 

Yeah but there is no denying that they did a fuck job on covering that Discharge song.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:21 am 

That's got to be Fall out boys cover of Gorilla biscuits "start today". And Metallica's "last caress" Misfits cover was pretty bad too

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:34 am 

Garage Inc. has some terrible stuff on it. Remember this?

Metallica simply do not know how to groove.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:58 am 

Subrick wrote:

Pain. Nothing but that.

Yeah. But I don't think you should judge them so harshly. They're just a bunch of dumb kids having fun. It's not like it's an official release. I do like the audience's nonplussed reaction though.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:55 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Garage Inc. has some terrible stuff on it. Remember this?

Metallica simply do not know how to groove.

Like it or not, it introduced a whole new generation of listeners to Budgie. I for one think that can only be a good thing.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:22 am 

Speaking of Metallica, reminded me of this cover. I don't think I'd even call it a cover. But a friend of mine PM me this shit a couple of months back. Never laughed so hard.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Speaking of Metallica, reminded me of this cover. I don't think I'd even call it a cover. But a friend of mine PM me this shit a couple of months back. Never laughed so hard.

That reminds me. One time a few years ago I caught a taxi. The taxi driver was Indian (big surprise). He said "let me put on my taxi driving music". I said fine. So he puts on this CD. It was basically Bollywood style music with no sense of rhythm or tune. It soon became apparent that this was a CD he recorded himself. It was by far one of the worst things I'd ever heard. Every couple of years or so I hear of a friend or a friend of a friend meeting the same taxi driver. He makes the guy in that video sound like Pavarotti. Thanks for reminding me of that incident.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next