Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 am 

All those things, with some great acting, lots of witty dialogue, lots of AMAZING ADVENTURES style pulpy goodness. TNG took that foundation and added a new level of erudition and political morality. And lots of hilarious future dorkiness.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 am 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Star Trek bores me to tears.

Kind of a broad brush you're using there. Care to elaborate on what all you've seen or read?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 pm 

It's ok not to like Star Trek, it's just a bit unbecoming. :P

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:32 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Star Trek bores me to tears. What is the appeal of it for you guys?

The original Star Trek, Space Ritual, some things are just unquantifiable.

You kiddin? Scotty, Bones and Spock, where will you find their like?

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm 

So... this is taking a turn for the worse

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/yoda-solo-film/

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:09 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
So... this is taking a turn for the worse

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/yoda-solo-film/

I knew Disney would do something to fuck up Star Wars.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 pm 

Not saying this isn't gonna happen but this hardly looks like a credible source.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:32 pm 

All idiots, you are, awesome, yoda is. Better than a Boba Fett movie, this is.

http://www.newsarama.com/film/disney-to ... films.html

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 pm 

There's an interview here; http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/disney- ... haracters/

I'm not too sure of it either, but you can't say this is not a very Disney move to do.

Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 pm 

Yeah man, it isn't as if there hasn't been stand-alone, shitty Star Wars film before revolving around characters no one gives a shit about. I mean, imagine if they did like an Ewoks film or something? Ludicrous, impossible, right?

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:26 pm 

It's just a disney franchise.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:24 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:

Couldn't get much more fucked than it's already been, if you ask me. George Lucas owes an entire generation for emotional damages.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:08 am 

Not to mention that some of the expanded universe is woeful as all hell.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Erosion Of Humanity wrote:

Couldn't get much more fucked than it's already been, if you ask me. George Lucas owes an entire generation for emotional damages.

I didn't say it wasn't already fucked beyond repair (most likely) I just said I knew Disney would fuck it up too, in their own special way. It has been doomed from the second good ole Georgy turned it into a cash cow kids franchise and I just don't see Disney deviating far from that path. But who knows maybe I'm wrong and Disney will give us a new hope.

Azmodes wrote:

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:55 am 

After some digging I did I read that apparently Disney wants to do these films in addition to Episode VII (and who knows VIII, IX). If this is the case, I don't give a shit. Just like I didn't give a shit for that Ewok movie, Christmas Special or the Clone Wars tv show. I was afraid they would treat Episode VII as purely as a Yoda origin story, which would suck immensely. I mean, I LIKE Yoda in Empire, but a whole damn film with a CGI Yoda who talks like an idiot? No fucking thanks. Best case scenario for the new trilogy would be if they use the goddamn Heir of the Empire books, but oh well, one can dream.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 am 

What gives you the idea the sequel could possibly be a Yoda origin story? That makes zero sense.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 pm 

It was more so the idea that the 'new' star wars film (calling it Episode VII was my fault there) would be a yoda origin story INSTEAD of a sequel to Jedi. I goofed in my explanation there I admit

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:25 pm 

Okay.

I think the standalone movies are supposed to be additions though.
edit: Which is what you wrote. I'm dumb.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:13 pm 

I am 100% ok with a Boba Fett movie.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:56 pm 

Yeah as long as they don't go with that Maori actor, and completely ignore the back story of him as a child clone of bounty hunter Jango Fett.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 pm 

Imagine Star Wars, but The Force is Islam. Wouldn't that be a better franchise?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:51 pm 

Supposedly, Harrison Ford is on board for Episode 7.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm 

:old:

Yeah, we'll see, I guess. Ford wasn't bad in Indiana Jones 4 or at least he wasn't the reason the movie was bad. If he doesn't have a lead role or a semi lead role, things should be fine. I'm still wondering what will be the story, I hope they'll respect the Expanded universe. But if Ford is signed, they need the 2 others...it doesn't make any sense to have 1/3 of the main cast of the 1st trilogy.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm still wondering what will be the story, I hope they'll respect the Expanded universe. But if Ford is signed, they need the 2 others...it doesn't make any sense to have 1/3 of the main cast of the 1st trilogy.

The question is...does the extended universe respect the official canon?
As for the cast returning, meh. We don't want to turn this into a senior reunion a la Expendables. The Leonard Nimoy 'cameo' in Abrams' Star Trek was pretty cleverly done, in my opinion, and Shatner didn't need to be invited.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:07 pm 

The expanded universe has contradicted itself and even the movies so many times over that it's pretty impossible to come up with a 100% set in stone canon for the entire Star Wars universe. The only thing I've seen an overwhelming majority of people regard as being in perfect canon aside from the movies is the Thrawn books.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
:old:

Yeah, we'll see, I guess. Ford wasn't bad in Indiana Jones 4 or at least he wasn't the reason the movie was bad. If he doesn't have a lead role or a semi lead role, things should be fine. I'm still wondering what will be the story, I hope they'll respect the Expanded universe. But if Ford is signed, they need the 2 others...it doesn't make any sense to have 1/3 of the main cast of the 1st trilogy.

Of course they're going to get Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher back, both actors have said they're down for more movies. I imagine Luke, Leah, and Han will be more minor characters while younger actors are brought to the forefront. As for the expanded universe, I don't really see the sense in following too closely if they're able to come up with better ideas to work with. Most of the expanded universe, as far as I understand, is balls anyway. I would love to see Bobba Fett return, though. What a fucking lame 'death' he got in RotJ.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:55 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if Luke is put into a position similar to that in the Jedi Academy games. I could see the whole movie basically revolving around the children of Leia and Han, although I'd kind of prefer it if it was based on completely separate characters.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:08 pm 

The movies won't have anything to do with Expanded Universe. Get a grip, folks.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:38 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Imagine Star Wars, but The Force is Islam. Wouldn't that be a better franchise?

Hell. Yes! An entire franchise about the Sithlords.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 pm 

Going to the Star Wars Identities exhibit today. Should be fun!

http://www.starwarsidentities.com/

Mrtvovina
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:37 am 

I think it wil be a disaster, 1st trilogy and another three movies is enough. If disney is going the create another movie he should create another three movis of chewbacca and captain solo before Darth Vader.
But since it is disney they will probable put Johnny depp or someone like him for dark sith or somethnig....
And I bet that the move will be crowded with video effect and some "beautiful" pictures and stuff like that. Nowadays film industri is totaly forget about sotry in movies like if you see Mirror (Snow White) just a bunch of video effects and that is it ...

This is litle out of topic but it think it new star wars will be like : DIablo I and Diablo II vs. Diablo III (can NOT be compared)

Only Lucas Starwars are the true Starwars

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:18 am 

^There are so many works of Star Wars fiction that Lucas didn't have anything to do with that are ridiculously awesome, making such a statement is idiotic.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:48 pm 

Mrtvovina wrote:
I think it wil be a disaster, 1st trilogy and another three movies is enough. If disney is going the create another movie he should create another three movis of chewbacca and captain solo before Darth Vader.But since it is disney they will probable put Johnny depp or someone like him for dark sith or somethnig....
And I bet that the move will be crowded with video effect and some "beautiful" pictures and stuff like that. Nowadays film industri is totaly forget about sotry in movies like if you see Mirror (Snow White) just a bunch of video effects and that is it ...

This is litle out of topic but it think it new star wars will be like : DIablo I and Diablo II vs. Diablo III (can NOT be compared)

Only Lucas Starwars are the true Starwars

I would not be opposed to more Han Solo, but I don't think this is a good idea. Who is going to play him? Harrison Ford sure isn't going to. And can you imagine the infinite fan rage when another actor takes the role?

Imagine this: shia labeouf as Han Solo.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:39 pm 

Aaahhh my eyes!! Or more accurately aaahhh my brain!! Seriously though its got a 50/50 shot of being good I'm just hoping it won't suck. And yeah no young actors playing old characters to avoid crazy fans like me from getting butthurt.

Azmodes wrote:

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm 

I personally wouldn't mind older characters being played by young and talented actors (yeah Shia LeBeouf is fucking horrible). But it won't happen anyway since everyone from the old trilogy will reprise their role.

Mrtvovina
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:14 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

I would not be opposed to more Han Solo, but I don't think this is a good idea. Who is going to play him? Harrison Ford sure isn't going to. And can you imagine the infinite fan rage when another actor takes the role?

Imagine this: shia labeouf as Han Solo.

Hehehe thats true

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 pm 

You thought Lucas was milking his franchise before? You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 pm 

I could see that working though, alternating between an Episode and a spinoff movie. The spinoff movies could be half the length of the Episodes, which knowing the way blockbuster movies are today would be at or even slightly over 3 hours long. Best thing to compare it to that comes to mind would be when the WWF did In Your House PPVs between the big 5 shows at an hour shorter than the big shows.

Plus the franchise is out of Lucas's hands almost entirely, which is only a good thing in my book.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 pm 

Ho man. Fuuuuucking shit. :ugh:

I won't be satisfied unless they make a Chewbacca spin-off with the entirety of the dialogue consisting of wookiees howling at each other over subtitles.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:30 pm 

Nah, they'll do it Holiday Special style with zero subtitles to be found throughout the entire movie.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next