Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thenamelessdead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:55 am 

Can't see a thread on this elsewhere, so apologies if I've missed it.

Megadeth Announce June Release for Upcoming Album ‘Super Collider’

http://loudwire.com/megadeth-june-release-upcoming-album-super-collider/

This one isn't going to be on Roadrunner, so does anyone feel this will make much difference? I personally thought United Abominations was pretty weak and the presence of a cheesy butcher-job on A Tout Le Monde fair reeked of label/suit interference. Endgame was quite good, Thirteen less so. I have at lesat gone back to Endgame, whereas I don't think I've replayed Thirteen more than once.

Now that Junior has been back for a while I hope they will allow the bass a bit more room to breathe because it's one of my favourite aspects of older albums like Rust In Peace. I even love Dawn Patrol, although I know some people don't for some strange reason. I'm still hoping that Broderick can show us something exceptional as he seems to have the talent to do so, yet he hasn't really come close to hitting the same glorious heights as Poland or Friedman. Ultimately I think that as much as I want Megadeth to stick to thrash, I would like the music to reflect the 'age' of the band somewhat, and allow for a tasteful amount of diversity. Endgame delivered thrash in spades but the ballad was pretty cack and some of the songs would have benefited from a few pauses for breath. Still, Mustaine knows more about writing music than I do!

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:35 am 

I didn't like Thirteen much, so I'm a bit cautious about this release. But of course, I'll give it a listen, in hopes of another Endgame-tier album.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 am 

I think 13 was rushed in order to get out of their Roadrunner contract, hence the generic songs and re-use of previously released songs. Dave was pissed that Roadrunner didn't promote Endgame well, which is fair because I couldn't even find that album at my local Best Buy, the distribution and promotion of the album definitely was not what it should have been. Ironically enough, there was a ton of promotion and even places like Wal-Mart had it.

As for the new title, I'm optimistic, Dave is all fired about about conspiracy theories and getting mildly screwed by Roadrunner so I'm hoping these things will inspire him to write something as good as Endgame!

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:59 am 

Hopefully it's better than Thirteen. I though that was a terrible album. Endgame was somewhat decent though. Post-2000 Megadeth has been very inconsistent but they have produced some great songs here and there. I'm more looking forward to the UK tour than the album. Besides festivals, he hasn't played the UK properly in years. Looking forward to seeing them live again.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:35 am 

TH1RT3EN was great-- an excellent amalgamation of all the sounds Megadeth has rocked over the years. Endgame was, of course, much thrashier-- thrashiest since Rust In Peace. Can't wait for this beast. I'd be satisfied with a continuation of either album.

Last edited by MARSDUDE on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:15 pm 

People talk Thirteen down so much, but it was still a huge plus more than it was a huge minus. I don't see it as incomparable to Endgame at all, even if it was a little uninspired. It was still great metal. Looking forward to this.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:30 pm 

Maybe, with Eleffson back, people expected another... wait for it... Rust in Peace, but yeah, Thirtheen it's not a bad album.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:23 pm 

Thirteen was pretty meh, but as long as it sounds closer to Endgame, I'll be a content man.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:24 pm 

I dunno why people expect another Rust In Peace. They already wrote that album. And they went through their 90s rocking-phase with Ellefson still in the band.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:29 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
I dunno why people expect another Rust In Peace. They already wrote that album. And they went through their 90s rocking-phase with Ellefson still in the band.

This. All of it.

I just hope this is better than the uninspired piece of garbage that Thirteen was. If it sounds closer in quality to Endgame, I'll be a happy guy. If not, then I won't mind. There's too much good stuff out there to get my panties in a knot over Megadeth at this point in time.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:10 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:

I want another Killing's My Business. Rust In Peace got NOTHING on that album.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:41 pm 

^^^ Damn straight. They were so ahead of their time with that one.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:23 pm 

Killing Is My Business is guitar wankery garbage.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:27 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

Wrong. Killing Is My Business is some of the most punk unfluenced thrash you'll find without going into pure crossover territory. The fact that it has a lot of shredding mixed in doesn't make it guitar wankery.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:31 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Wrong. Killing Is My Business is some of the most punk unfluenced thrash you'll find without going into pure crossover territory. The fact that it has a lot of shredding mixed in doesn't make it guitar wankery.

I'm fairly certain there's nothing punk about KiMB. It sounds like they decided to take a speed metal sound, strip out everything, crank the solos to 200 beats per minute, mix in grimy vocals, and well, that's pretty much it. It's also the same reason I don't really like Peace Sells. There's not a lot of substance, just grimy vocals and lots of solo'ing.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:36 pm 

What!? Those two albums have some of the greatest Megadeth solos you'll ever hear. Chris Poland is a god.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:40 pm 

There's more to thrash metal than goddamn solos.

SHREDFEST '86 BRO, CHECK THIS YEEOOOOW ALL OVER MY FRETBOARD WOWIE!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:45 pm 

Much as I would love for a return to "The Early Daze" of Megadeth, I would be shocked to see that happen. "Killing is My Buisness" is a great album of lead-guitar-driven speed metal, maybe punkish in attitude and delivery but METAL to the core and even though the sound quality is a bit too flat, it is an excellent album. Same with "Peace Sells" and same with "Rust in Peace-" all four of the first Megadeth albums, yes even "So Far So Good..." are great even if they are pretty different from each other.

But Megadeth has changed, and so has Dave Mustaine. He is a lot like Ted Nugent these days; more interested in delivering controversial right-wing political sound bites than in making quality music anymore. He is probably as energetic on stage as ever, but I just don't see him doing another "Rust in Peace" or "Killing is my Buisness"type album because I'm pretty sure he just isn't feeling it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:53 pm 

I quite liked Th13teen but I'll be more than satisfied if this is as good as Endgame, I'll be quite happy.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:55 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I'm fairly certain there's nothing punk about KiMB. It sounds like they decided to take a speed metal sound, strip out everything, crank the solos to 200 beats per minute, mix in grimy vocals, and well, that's pretty much it. It's also the same reason I don't really like Peace Sells. There's not a lot of substance, just grimy vocals and lots of solo'ing.

Nah, KIMB oozes hardcore punk influences, mostly due to Mustaine's vocals and the straight ahead, no holds barred approach to songwriting. And Peace Sells has no substance? What the hell?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:00 pm 

Killing...'s style and sound is directly attributed to two things: Mustaine's still-fresh vitriol to out do his former band in every category, regardless of the resulting quality, and the band being absolutely coked up and smacked out of their minds during the process. There is no way the album itself or the conditions that set it up can be replicated, whether you care for the songs themselves or not. It's got some of the best guitarwork in Megadeth's entire catalog as far as I'm concerned. Hell, I would rather have a rerecorded version of almost any song from it on Peace Sells instead of that utterly pointless cover.

The most anyone could hope for these days is that Dave directly lifts some of those old riffs, changes a few notes and patterns, and reuses them. "Not the worst idea, Modus." you might say, except he's already been rehashing lesser riffs over the last 3-4 albums now and ineffectively at that making them entirely interchangeable. Even if he somehow gets his penchant for writing interesting and technical but still memorable songs back, he doesn't have the bandmates necessary to make it work. Supplement this with how his personal conspiratorial and polarizing conservative views have made for some awkward lyrics and themes, and there's little doubt that the next album will be just more of the same.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:32 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

...WAT
Just because it's technical doesn't mean the album lacks substance.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:37 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
There's more to thrash metal than goddamn solos.

SHREDFEST '86 BRO, CHECK THIS YEEOOOOW ALL OVER MY FRETBOARD WOWIE!

Yeah, I know...... Believe me, I know........ You just speak of the solos on those albums as if they are forgettable. Those solos are like mini-songs themselves, man. They are brilliant.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:32 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
You just speak of the solos on those albums as if they are forgettable. Those solos are like mini-songs themselves, man. They are brilliant.

I didn't say that, though. I said the album is majority solos. Solos are the draw. As somebody who doesn't really give a shit about solos in and of themselves, I can't be drawn into a record by that facet. Peace Sells is mostly filled with that, and there's some killer riffs and lyrics on there. For me, Rust In Peace is where they nailed the balance between having solos and also having awesome riffs that stood on their own without needing to be predicated by a solo to be validated. It's also really awesome sounding, and the lyrical content is pretty great.

I like riffs. Riffs > solos, in my opinion, basically. Give me awesome riffs. Don't care about solos. Like, at all. Hey, you want to know the last thing I pay attention to on a thrash record? Solos.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 pm 

Killing's My Business had tons of fabulous riffs too. What the hell are you smoking?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:40 pm 

Yeah, seriously. I bitched about your dislike of thee solos and forgot how you didn't like the riffs either. What the hell? Those two albums are full of great riffs too. Listen to 'em again or something.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Killing's My Business had tons of fabulous riffs too. What the hell are you smoking?

Killing is my business...and business is good is one of my fav songs riffing-wise
Early Megadeth had this weird way of using solos as bridges and riffs, i fell in love with Polland´s guitar wankery.

That being said, Good Mourning/Black Friday is one of the most acomplished metal songs from the 80s in the guitar department

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:08 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Hell, I would rather have a rerecorded version of almost any song from it on Peace Sells instead of that utterly pointless cover.

Agreed! That, for me, ruins what is one of the greatest Thrash albums. I hate cover versions on albums. Leave that shit for b-sides or bonus tracks.

It's just a shame 'Set the World Afire' couldn't have replaced it, as I'm sure that was the first track Dave wrote for Megadeth, even though it didn't appear until 'So Far, So Good...' Having that song on 'Peace Sells...' would have made it a pretty much perfect album!

Someone mentioned how great Chris Poland is. Yes, he is good, but his solos pale in comparison to Mustaine's, certainly on 'Peace Sells...'

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:15 am 

"Super Collider"?
WHAT THE FUCK NOW?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:17 am 

Endgame was ten times the album Thirteen was, so I'm not sure what to expect from this one. It's not like Dave to release two albums so close together since the 80s. Perhaps he's keen to cram as much in as he can before he's too old.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:57 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I didn't say that, though. I said the album is majority solos. Solos are the draw. As somebody who doesn't really give a shit about solos in and of themselves, I can't be drawn into a record by that facet. Peace Sells is mostly filled with that, and there's some killer riffs and lyrics on there. For me, Rust In Peace is where they nailed the balance between having solos and also having awesome riffs that stood on their own without needing to be predicated by a solo to be validated. It's also really awesome sounding, and the lyrical content is pretty great.

I like riffs. Riffs > solos, in my opinion, basically. Give me awesome riffs. Don't care about solos. Like, at all. Hey, you want to know the last thing I pay attention to on a thrash record? Solos.

Solos are the draw? I can't really recall any of the solos, but I can pretty much hum all the riffs to the songs though I'd say riffs are the means to an end. The riffs on Killing are rather complex and melodic, more rooted in the traditional roots than the percussive riffing style usually associated with thrash. That's what lends them a more menacing tone, along with the superb production as well as Mustaine's snarl, Gar's groovy drumming. The album is very short and very sweet, especially considering that I stop it at These Boots. The best thing about Rust in Peace was Poison Was the Cure which was a lot like a throwback to Killing.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:16 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
"Super Collider"?
WHAT THE FUCK NOW?

because SuperMegaDeth is back and they're SUPER PISSED

Megadeth has done good records and bad records, hope this will be one of the good ones. First 6 were good (I'm actually a huge fan of their Youthanasia album), next 4 not so much, next 2 were good again and the last one wasn't...actually now when I think about it, I see a pattern developing here: 6 good and 4 no good records means that for every 3 good records they do, there will be 2 not so good ones and now since we had 2 good records and 1 not so good one to follow, maybe the next album will only be 2/3 good and 1/3 bad...or maybe they'll reboot and make 6 good records again, that would be cool.

Last edited by Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:33 am 

^^^ There's no pattern. You just don't like those albums.

And Chris Poland paling in comparison to Dave Mustaine!? He was underused on Killing, sure, because Dave was def. jealous of Chris' skills. Chris had his jazz-influence (and his drugs), but he was really utilized on Peace Sells. Just listen to the verse solos on the title song off Peace Sells. All Poland. And his solos are incredibly difficult, as they jump insane intervals on the fretboard due to Chris Poland's prior hand injury.

Yeah, I'm a Chris Poland junkie.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:52 am 

you realize it was a joke right?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:04 pm 

Quote:
"Super Collider"?
WHAT THE FUCK NOW?

It'll be a concept album about how the New World Order, funded by Obama, are using the Large Hadron Collider to take away everyone's guns.

Nonetheless, I hope the song-writing is good - Dave has put me off Megadeth to a large extent, but I'll be happy if they can conjure a good album, they were the first metal band I was in to.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:26 pm 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
you realize it was a joke right?

Of course. I just didn't find it funny.

And why didn't you like Cryptic Writings? It sounded like an extension of Youthanasia.

Last edited by MARSDUDE on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:27 pm 

sorry I'm no Jay Leno

I've only heard Cryptic Writings in its entirety once but from what I remember, it was stale and boring and the hooks weren't good. Some really good songs there like Trust, She-Wolf and Secret Place but that's only like 3 out of 12 so no deal.

thenamelessdead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:25 pm 

This went off-topic fairly quickly! Still, I think I'll join in.

Solos vs Riffs
There isn't a competition and contrary to what Kurt Cobain believed there is room in rock/metal for solos. Considering how much solos can add to a song and how brilliant they can sometimes be I find it utterly incredible that there are 'dissenters'. Solos are a staple of metal, especially in the music of a traditional thrash metal act. If anyone would find the listening experience of PSBWB or RIP the same without the solos then I despair.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:38 pm 

Solos and riffs... it's all worthy stuff and basic ingredients to be used in good metal. The problem is Mustaine wasn't really that great at assembling good songs all by himself at that point of his career. That album is guitar-oriented but the songs are a little flat.

Megadeth improved a lot on Peace Sells but were still a little limited. Rust In Peace is the unparallelled Megadeth album. It goes downhill starting with Countdown, and really fast after that.

The recent albums are not cringe-worthy but they're still boring and the next one won't be different.

I still think at this point in time, Mustaine and Ellefson should hook up with Hetfield and Ulrich, make an album. No, it probably isn't gonna be awesome. But it hopefully can't be worse than what Metallica and Megadeth have been releasing in the last two decades.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:56 pm 

Riffs wrote:
Solos and riffs... it's all worthy stuff and basic ingredients to be used in good metal. The problem is Mustaine wasn't really that great at assembling good songs all by himself at that point of his career. That album is guitar-oriented but the songs are a little flat.

Megadeth improved a lot on Peace Sells but were still a little limited. Rust In Peace is the unparallelled Megadeth album. It goes downhill starting with Countdown, and really fast after that.

The recent albums are not cringe-worthy but they're still boring and the next one won't be different.

I still think at this point in time, Mustaine and Ellefson should hook up with Hetfield and Ulrich, make an album. No, it probably isn't gonna be awesome. But it hopefully can't be worse than what Metallica and Megadeth have been releasing in the last two decades.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. I'd go as far as to say Rust In Peace being the worst "good" Megadeth album. The production feels bad and Marty is my least favorite guitarist in Megadeth.
MegaDave used to be REALLY good at constructing songs for those first two albums. So Far... was pretty good, and then Rust In Peace was just boring. Countdown had some good songs but was very average overall, and the next two were just bad. Risk was one of the worst albums out there, and happened simply because MegaDave let Marty have input on song-writing. The next three were eh, Endgame was a nice return to form, and the next one was just boring.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next