Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:22 am 

VincentVanGone wrote:
I've just now been getting into stuff like Deathspell Omega and Blut aus Nord. Anyone have recommendations for experimental, otherworldly bands?

Part I by Abigor. Perhaps the weirdest, experimental thing you'll ever hear. It's not really otherworldy, just immensely strange.

Striborg might also do the trick. But his dark ambient tracks are mostly what's otherworldly with him, mostly because they're just so dark.
-A black metal track from Sin Nanna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAz_Fc8R_UQ
-A dark ambient track from Sin Nanna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahLoGPYI8D4

Perhaps Raven's Eye View by A Forest of Stars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vegAAQm31Xg

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Cheeselord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:22 pm 

Black Metal similar to Bathory's first 3?

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm 

Looking to explore the Black Metal genre more.

All ive heard/got so far is Emperor (the 4 studio albums + Wrath of the Tyrant), Dimmu Borgir (everything between Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and In Sorte Diaboli) and Satyricon (the newest 3)

Looking into getting into the likes of Immortal, Bathory, Celtic Frost and so on. Heard one the songs from Darkthrone's new album and thought that sounded really good.

So best starting points? Albums that are a must listen? Bands worth checking out?

preferably looking for stuff like Emperor and Dimmu Borgir (not named CoF, that vocalist annoys the shit out of me)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:43 pm 

WarriorFenix wrote:
Looking to explore the Black Metal genre more.

All ive heard/got so far is Emperor (the 4 studio albums + Wrath of the Tyrant), Dimmu Borgir (everything between Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and In Sorte Diaboli) and Satyricon (the newest 3)

Looking into getting into the likes of Immortal, Bathory, Celtic Frost and so on. Heard one the songs from Darkthrone's new album and thought that sounded really good.

So best starting points? Albums that are a must listen? Bands worth checking out?

preferably looking for stuff like Emperor and Dimmu Borgir (not named CoF, that vocalist annoys the shit out of me)

Here are some of my favorite bands that I suggest for any black metal noob:

Norway:
Gorgoroth
Urgehal (Later albums)

Poland:
Mgla
Besatt

Ukraine:
Drudkh
Lutomysl

Germany:
Endstille
Nargaroth
Odal

Finland:
Azaghal
Horna/Sargeist/Behexen (all 3 of these bands share members)
Vitsaus
Satanic Warmaster

Sweden:
Arckanum
Svartsyn

USA:
Inquisition
Judas Iscariot
Pact (new and awesome band)

Misc:
Sad (Greece)
Mourning Forest (France)
Folkvang (Belarus)

That's just off the top of my head, but that's a lot... good luck \m/

EDIT: I forgot Netherlands: Lugubre, Cirith Gorgor, Zwartplaag! haha

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 am 

Don't bother with Gorgoroth past Under the Sign of Hell. Urgehal's first is actually likely to be their best. Malus is far better than the other German bands combined; add Todtgelichter and Graupel to that. Satanic Warmaster is massively overrated, why not something interesting like Valoton instead. Add Flagellant to Swedish bands. Disregard American black metal. :P

French black metal scene is apparently more than just a joke these days. Peste Noire and Mütiilation are legendary raw black metal bands. Belenos made a couple of pagan/viking spirited black metal albums (Spicilège is all you really need). Then you have faster melodic stuff like Sühnopfer and Aorlhac, Insane Vesper, etc. which is generally not very impressive, but might just be your thing if you're into Immortal.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm 

I agree about Gorgoroth, but their latest album was pretty good. I enjoy all of Urgehal's albums, but for someone new to BM I'd say start with their later stuff and work back. Satanic Warmaster yeah you could say overrated, but he's got some great songs... I have not heard Malus or those other german bands so I will check them out. Also there IS some good USA black metal these days IMO. I'd add Sapthuran, Morthond and Warwulf to the list of US bands, they are all pretty minimalistic 1 man bands with great riffs.

EDIT: Actually have heard Graupel before, they are good. Just listened to a couple Malus songs on youtube, also very good. I will have to pick up their albums, but none of my regular distros have them.

Double edit: Flagellant also sounds great, thanks for the suggestions!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:56 pm 

By the way, if anyone knows releases like those of Cirith Gorgor, Nightside and Ragnarok from about the turn of the millenium, much appreciated. That would include stuff like Enthroned, but better. People generally never answer my requests though, not in this thread or any other. :/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:30 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
By the way, if anyone knows releases like those of Cirith Gorgor, Nightside and Ragnarok from about the turn of the millenium, much appreciated. That would include stuff like Enthroned, but better. People generally never answer my requests though, not in this thread or any other. :/

Well I like all those bands, but my suggestions would probably be stuff you already know as well... I will try to think of something.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:10 pm 

Ah, you know Nightside? Cool band, shame that they disappeared before they got to make anything that could've earned them the recognition their talents warranted.

By the way, Sick6Six, you might find Castrum Doloris slightly similar to Flagellant. A now defunct band, unfortunately. The demo sounds like they could've become something great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6s7Hm7Jnc

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:42 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?

I was also going to say Infernal War, but here are some other very aggressive and awesome bands:

Lugubre (especially their last album entitled "Supreme Ritual Genocide")
Inquisition (I would suggest their newest album and then work back from there)
Svarttjern
Besatt
Endstille
Grabak (Agash Daeva album especially)
Zorn
Just remembered Kult ov Azazel, probably one of the most aggressive bands, non stop double bass blast beats

Also what other people said

Edit: Thanks Ilwhyn, I will check out Castrum Doloris, another band I wish was never "defunct" Is OLC SINNSIR Their one and only albums owns :\

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:05 am 

I'm after BM bands that are Raw, yet Atmospheric at the same time. I only know the bands from Rhinocervs Records like Odz Manouk and Tukaaria. Din of Awakening is another great one, but I'm looking for full length albums.

Last edited by katatonia47 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:06 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Thats because you have more than enough knowledge of your own :-P These bands are ones I have not listened to for a long time. I have a few Ragnarok albums but I probably have not listened to them since the early 00's. I remember them not being to my liking at this point in time so I have probably over looked them since. This is a side of black metal which is not my strongest but I am very sure I will have somthing similar in my collection that will be similar (I have too many cds to remember all to be honest), will take a look later for you bro.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Ok Ilwhyan, its hard to recommend for you as you know so many already man! Do you know Sweden's Snotarar? Not many releases out but I picked his debut album up quite a few years ago and found it a solid release indeed, maybe a bit rawer than what you are after but check it out -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwur1hZzSkg

I am sure you already know the likes of Setherial, Throne of Ahaz etc etc so will have to stay more underground.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:31 am 

Ilwhyan and STORMM, Have you guys heard the Drakhian album "High Zephyr Point"? Solo project by 1 of Griffar's members, better than Griffar's latest album IMO. It's really good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDein0EbIQ

skwid79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm 

Anyone have any good suggestions for stuff similar to recent darkthrone?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Ok Ilwhyan, its hard to recommend for you as you know so many already man! Do you know Sweden's Snotarar? Not many releases out but I picked his debut album up quite a few years ago and found it a solid release indeed, maybe a bit rawer than what you are after but check it out -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwur1hZzSkg

I am sure you already know the likes of Setherial, Throne of Ahaz etc etc so will have to stay more underground.

I know Snötårar through name only, I'll check that out. I came across the name when I discovered The Rain In Endless Fall, Wylve, Chronaexus and some German title I can't recall anymore. I haven't listened to any of those yet, even.

Sick6Six: Never listened to that band, I'll check it out aswell. Cheers!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:08 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Ilwhyan and STORMM, Have you guys heard the Drakhian album "High Zephyr Point"? Solo project by 1 of Griffar's members, better than Griffar's latest album IMO. It's really good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDein0EbIQ

Thanks Sick6Six, not familiar with them but I will check out.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm 

skwid79 wrote:
Anyone have any good suggestions for stuff similar to recent darkthrone?

Maybe you might enjoy Bretwaldis of Heathen Doom, for some reason they always remind me of later Darkthrone, similar punky vibe.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=beYyTxT8q_k

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm 

Edit - double post

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:02 pm 

Does anyone know of any black metal bands that use multiple vocalists? I am after layers of rasps and shrieks not clean singing. So, more along the lines of Vlad Tepes than something like Solefald, and I mean that only in terms of vocals not production.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm 

Spear of Longinus's "Nazi occult metal" has three different vocal styles singing the same lyrics at the same time. Check it out for kicks. Can't think of anything else, atm.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:30 pm 

katatonia47 wrote:
I'm after BM bands that are Raw, yet Atmospheric at the same time. I only know the bands from Rhinocervs Records like Odz Manouk and Tukaaria. Din of Awakening is another great one, but I'm looking for full length albums.

Try Obolus

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:45 am 

katatonia47 wrote:

Autarcie comes to mind.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:27 am 

is there any black metal out there that has a melancholy/ atmospheric feel, using violins and classical instruments instead of synthesizer's ??

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:04 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
is there any black metal out there that has a melancholy/ atmospheric feel, using violins and classical instruments instead of synthesizer's ??

Dare I assume you've heard Coldworld?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bdbLWZlqg

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:21 am 

Malthus wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:

Dare I assume you've heard Coldworld?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bdbLWZlqg

yes i have Coldworld "melancholie", and have thrashed the shit out of it

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:48 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:

Try Paysage D'Hivers self titled. Also one of Angantyr's albums use violins on some of the tracks though I can not remember which one as it has been a long time since I listened to any of their discs. I know more just cant think at the minute.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:00 pm 

STORMM wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:

Try Paysage D'Hivers self titled. Also one of Angantyr's albums use violins on some of the tracks though I can not remember which one as it has been a long time since I listened to any of their discs. I know more just cant think at the minute.

i have been looking for that cd ,but the only copies i found were super expensive, in fact all there stuff's seems to be a bit more expensive, i ended up ordering "Winterkälte"

the self titled is on i tunes though, i suppose i will have just have to do that as it does sound like it will be really good

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:36 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:

you might have already heard it - Ne Obliviscaris

http://youtu.be/dsh9xzTCFRk

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm 

Littlewolf wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:

you might have already heard it - Ne Obliviscaris

http://youtu.be/dsh9xzTCFRk

no i haven't heard of them but not really what i am looking for...well it kind of is.

Ya know the last song on the "Gris" album Il était une forêt.. ? kind of like that with some dark rasping vocals maybe...

using piano and things to create the atmosphere instead of electronics

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:33 am 

STORMM wrote:
Also one of Angantyr's albums use violins on some of the tracks though I can not remember which one as it has been a long time since I listened to any of their discs. I know more just cant think at the minute.

I know Hævn begins and ends with a cello, but I honestly can't remember if it's used at all elsewhere in the album (I really need to listen to them more). Were you sure it was a violin?

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:55 am 

Anyone know any well produced electronic black metal bands? Ones like 3 or Seth ECT?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 am 

hey wrote:
STORMM wrote:
Also one of Angantyr's albums use violins on some of the tracks though I can not remember which one as it has been a long time since I listened to any of their discs. I know more just cant think at the minute.

I know Hævn begins and ends with a cello, but I honestly can't remember if it's used at all elsewhere in the album (I really need to listen to them more). Were you sure it was a violin?

You may be right hey, like you I could not remember 100% as it has been so long since I listened to them, something I must correct as they are good band!

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:10 pm 

Do you guys know any bands making similar music to Aptorian Demon / Mare / Kaosritual / Dark Sonority / One Tail, One Head? I realize that the bands I mentioned differ, although they kind of deliver a similar obscure vibe and have lots of "orthodox black metal" (sorry about that term) elements to them, so that's why I put them next to each other. Do you have any recommendations?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 pm 

mirageasylum wrote:
Do you guys know any bands making similar music to Aptorian Demon / Mare / Kaosritual / Dark Sonority / One Tail, One Head? I realize that the bands I mentioned differ, although they kind of deliver a similar obscure vibe and have lots of "orthodox black metal" (sorry about that term) elements to them, so that's why I put them next to each other. Do you have any recommendations?

Check out their labelmates and side projects. I recommend you Saligia, Flagellant and Chaos Invocation. Check out the latest album by Kadotus, it seems to be influenced by some Trondheim bands. Check out Sarath and Min Kniv if you're into melodic and atmospheric stuff.

Edit: I just checked out Horde of Hel's second album, Likdagg. You might enjoy it. I'd advise against checking out the debut first. Don't let the reviews taunt you, they haven't actually listened to the album or hate black metal (or alternatively it's going to get much, much worse - Herrens Tid is a great song in my opinion)

xGeneralSureMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:08 pm 

Does anyone know of any black metal bands that have a jazz influence or something like a "black/math metal"?

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm 

Shining (Nor) would be my first choice for that, they actually have an album called Blackjazz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7Fh_Y2Lkg

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 pm 

Looking for very atmospheric/spacey black metal in the vein of Darkspace and late-Carcharoth Λ.V.. Also similar to Paysage d'Hiver, Vinterriket, Battle Dagorath, the track "Hin" by Trist (de), Midnight Odyssey, Arakis and ColdWorld. But stuff that sounds like this mostly: http://youtu.be/RIRRg4O7_IE?t=7m29s

Last edited by NJMike on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:51 pm 

NJMike wrote:
Looking for very atmospheric/spacey black metal in the vein of Darkspace and Carcharoth Λ.V.. Also similar to Paysage d'Hiver, Vinterriket, Battle Dagorath, the track "Hin" by Trist (de), Midnight Odyssey and ColdWorld. But stuff that sounds like this mostly: http://youtu.be/RIRRg4O7_IE?t=7m29s

Check out Alrakis

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Alrakis/3540336291

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:53 pm 

STORMM wrote:
NJMike wrote:
Looking for very atmospheric/spacey black metal in the vein of Darkspace and Carcharoth Λ.V.. Also similar to Paysage d'Hiver, Vinterriket, Battle Dagorath, the track "Hin" by Trist (de), Midnight Odyssey and ColdWorld. But stuff that sounds like this mostly: http://youtu.be/RIRRg4O7_IE?t=7m29s

Check out Alrakis

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Alrakis/3540336291

Ah, I already know and like that artist. Sorry, I forgot to add it to my list; it should have been in there.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 231  Next