Powerslave 26%  26%  [ 63 ]
Somewhere In Time 21%  21%  [ 52 ]
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son 20%  20%  [ 49 ]
Total votes : 245
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:32 pm 

Right? I mean, don't get me wrong I'm not TOO naïve. I wasn't expecting even a top 3 finish...but 17 votes surprises me. I'm thinking there may be a few voters who've only ever heard ol' Bruce Bruce fronting.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 pm 

For real, if you don't think Prowler is one of Maiden's best songs, I don't want to know you.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 pm 

none. they're all bad

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:43 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

Get out of my heeeaaaaadddd!!!

That song is THE perfect example of the difference between Di'anno and Dickinson. Dickinson could sing that song until he's blue in the face but he would NEVER bring the sleazy atmosphere like Di'anno does. He really sounds like some creep lurking in the bushes, ready to flash your grandmother.

The man SOUNDS greasy. I fucking love it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:49 pm 

Chalk one up to Harris-- the debut was my first Maiden album, and is still my favourite.

Love the jammy garage feel.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:13 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Powerslave>Seventh Son>TNOTB>TFF>Fear of the Dark>Killers>AMOLAD>Brave New World>Piece of Mind>SiT>Dance of Death>No Prayer>Virtual xi>X Factor

Less or more.

I'd like to know why you left The X Factor in the last place.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 pm 

Church13 wrote:
none. they're all bad

Ooooooh, edgy! But hey, would you mind contributing to the discussion? Because, you know..... That's why we're all here.

About the debut; it's a cool album, and hell, so is Killers. I prefer them both over TNOTB, but..... I don't know, I simply prefer the more epic path that they started to pave when from POM and onwards. But yes, songs like Prower and Killers' titletrack kick ass. All of the ass.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 pm 

If I had to rank them...

PoM > SSOASS > s/t > SiT > Powerslave > Killers (only because I haven't heard it in like 3 years) > NOTB > TFF > AMOLAD > BNW > DOD > X Factor > Virtual XI > No Prayer > FOTD

Yeah, I'd say that's about it. Really everything from SSOASS to NOTB is about equal, and TFF pretty close behind at that, too. After that it's a pretty clear ladder of better to worse.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm 

I don't get what you think is so good about The Final Frontier, Emp. I like Mother of Mercy..... And that's it. Really boring, tedious album, if you ask me.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:56 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Church13 wrote:
none. they're all bad

Ooooooh, edgy! But hey, would you mind contributing to the discussion? Because, you know..... That's why we're all here.

I did vote Number of the beast. I'm not a Maiden fan but that one is the best

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:59 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I don't get what you think is so good about The Final Frontier, Emp. I like Mother of Mercy..... And that's it. Really boring, tedious album, if you ask me.

Because it's a great piece of metal music. Every song is long but held together incredibly well by good hooks and emotional parts, as well as the plain awesome guitarwork, and the whole band just sounds spirited and into what they're doing. Pretty much every song on there is an emotional gestalt for me. Very passionate, sweeping epic.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:04 am 

Save for the "every song is long" part, you described what I think about Somewhere in Time, and I don't see any of those traits represented in TFF. Really puzzled by this one, Emp :scratch:

Guess I'm just gonna have to call it another case of "someone perceives something I don't".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:08 am 

SiT isn't like that for me at all. It's a very different thing for me with both albums. SiT is mostly good because it's got great riffs and those cool sci fi keyboards and what not. TFF is a sort of 'musical journey,' if you will. The length and the production are probably the two things holding it back the most from being one of their top 5 ever, but still, it's a personal favorite of mine for sure.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 am 

I'll probably do a poll for the "Best of Bruce Bruce's comeback" next, would be cool to discuss these albums.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 am 

Empyreal wrote:
SiT isn't like that for me at all. It's a very different thing for me with both albums. SiT is mostly good because it's got great riffs and those cool sci fi keyboards and what not. TFF is a sort of 'musical journey,' if you will. The length and the production are probably the two things holding it back the most from being one of their top 5 ever, but still, it's a personal favorite of mine for sure.

Really? I find SIT to be a very epic piece of work, and maybe even more so than Seventh Son, in no small part thanks to the aforementioned sci fi aesthetics, plus the quasi progressive songwriting and the titanic scope of the album. TFF is just kinda..... There. And in fact, its length and production are its smallest problems, as far as I'm concerned.

We're gonna have to let this one slide, comrade :-D
Metantoine wrote:
I'll probably do a poll for the "Best of Bruce Bruce's comeback" next, would be cool to discuss these albums.

That would be nice, as it'd be cool to know what's this place's general stand on Maiden from BNW and onwards.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:54 am 

I missed the vote, but mine would have gone to Poweslave. Love that album from start to finish. I actually enjoy The Duelists and Back in The Village as much as some of their huge hits. It is surprising that 2 Minutes to Midnight was so huge, but those weren't. After Powerslave I would put Somewhere in Time, for all the reasons already said on this page. haha

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:58 am 

Ok, guys, the poll is closed! Powerslave won! And the self titled is last place :ugh: :nono:

Maiden's best song!

Thanks to everyone who made this thread alive, I will not lock it though but see you here for the discussion about modern Maiden.

UP THE IRONS PART 2

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

That would be nice, as it'd be cool to know what's this place's general stand on Maiden from BNW and onwards.

Brave New World and The Final Frontier? :thumbsup:

Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death? :thumbsdown:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:58 am 

Hey, I'm glad Powerslave won. It's still no Somewhere in Time though :-P

TO THE OTHER THREAD, ROBIN!

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:45 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Hey, I'm glad Powerslaver won. It's still no Somewhere in Time though :-P

That's the main reason it won. Shame on you all for not picking the debut enough, you cast the whole place in bad light!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:26 am 

Metantoine wrote:
And the self titled is last place :ugh: :nono:

Shame, shame :nono:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:12 pm 

I rarely listen to the debut. Thin production on the guitars and other than the titanic Phantom of the Opera I think it comes up short of the discs that followed. I can deal with the production but I don't think the riffs and songwriting are where they would be later on. Killers is the much better Dianno era disc I think. Usually I enjoy the songs on that via the live albums, Maiden Japan and Live after Death.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:40 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Ok, guys, the poll is closed! Powerslave won! And the self titled is last place :ugh: :nono:

Thanks to everyone who made this thread alive, I will not lock it though but see you here for the discussion about modern Maiden.

This was an interesting thread but perhaps when you're done with modern Maiden, you could try a third thread and ask people to list Maiden's 80s records in order of preference? Then we compile the results and make a true top 7.

I don't think Iron Maiden's debut is gonna fall behind lackluster records like Killers and Somewhere In Time in that context. With the current results, all we know is that the favorite Maiden's record of most people is Powerslave. But the other positions don't mean anything. If we start compiling with a points system, Powerslave is gonna separate itself from the pack even more (as it should) and stuff like the self-titled debut is probably going to fare better as well.

Could be interesting, IMO. Maybe there will be other surprises. Plus, those Maiden threads are going well with cool discussions. What do you think?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:11 pm 

Would be cool but I don't really have the time for that, sorry :(

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:44 pm 

Killers is lackluster? Fuck that its amazing!

Kevbo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:49 pm 

It's quite surprising to see Powerslave topping this poll. I always thought I was in a slight minority preferring it over all the other excellent stuff the boys put out over the years.

For my money, it's one of the 5 greatest metal albums ever made.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:24 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
Killers is lackluster? Fuck that its amazing!

I said, in that particular context.

All 80s Maiden records are amazing, more or less. We're just comparing them against each other.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm 

I see. Carry on!

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:11 am 

BastardHead wrote:
For real, if you don't think Prowler is one of Maiden's best songs, I don't want to know you.

this ....
the first two albums go places very very few bands have gone since

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
PIECE. OF. MIND!
I appreciate that record more than any other Maiden record. I feel Powerslave is too perfect, too comfortable and Somewhere In Time too fluid, too consistent.
Piece Of Mind on the other hand is interesting! "Where Eagles Dare" manages to sound both epic and frivolous while "Revelations" is truly monumental. "The Trooper" is a classic and what kind of a Maiden fan are you not to enjoy "Flight Of Icarus" and "Still Life". The rest of the songs fall short and yet show how tenacious the band were in crafting indelible hooks even when they felt way out of reach!

I don't get you, man. How in the hell can you be too perfect, comfortable, fluid, or consistent? All of those are great virtues, and shoving records aside precisely for having them makes no sense. It's like throwing food away for being "too tasty"! o_O :scratch:

What I meant, Xlxlxl, was that Piece Of Mind when compared with those other Maiden albums comes across as rather inconsistent. And yet for all its flaws, it is a record I feel relates the most to me out of all their work. The others come with a sheen of perfection that doesn't dwell as deep as the flawed one does.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:02 pm 

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for putting it in plainer terms, VS_H.

logan6511
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:23 pm 

Somewhere in time.

logan6511
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:30 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
logan6511 wrote:
You know, Steve Harris once said that every Maiden fans favorite album is "the first album they heard from Maiden" and I agree my 2 favorite all time albums are Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son. No two albums have ever made me smile and give me goose bumps everytime I listen to them. I use to play in a semi tribute band (we also did Judas Priest covers) and every time we played "Caught Somewhere in Time"...my hairs would raise thou to the crowd reactions. Un real!!

No way. Single tracks aside I started exploring Iron Maiden by getting Fear of the Dark, the title track being the best Maiden song I had heard. That boring, overly drawn out snoozefest turned me off from exploring more Iron Maiden for quite a while. I was expecting fun, fast, guns blazing kind of heavy metal, and I got that embarrassing drivel like "Afraid To Shoot Strangers". Nowadays I think "Be Quick or Be Dead" is pretty good, but back then I had gotten tired of hearing it in Carmageddon II.

Ok so go tell Steve Harris he's wrong then! I'm sure he meant "many of the" fans prefer the first album they heard..but of course there will be exceptions to the rule. You are one of them...good.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 am 

Let's do a Solitude Aeturnus poll next!

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:53 am 

that's a tall order, my friend...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6