Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:02 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Manilla Road have done this. A few of the newer albums have "tribute" riffs or vocal lines that are based off older songs.

An obvious example is the end of "Epitaph To The King" off of Gates Of Fire, which is the main riff of "The Ninth Wave" off of Open The Gates.

Or Flaming Metal System and When Giants Fall (also off GoF).

The intro to Ancient Rites album Dim Carcosa uses themes from other songs on the album as well as the song Fatherland

EDIT: Also, Slough Feg's awesome sci-fi concept album Traveller has overlapping themes in many passages of different songs throughout the entire album

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:18 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
The intro to Ancient Rites album Dim Carcosa uses themes from other songs on the album as well as the song Fatherland

The intros on Goat Horns (Nokturnal Mortum) and Horizons... (Temnozor') use the same trick.

On Katharsis's debut album the first riff of the opening song and the last riff of the closing song are the exact same one. Simple and neat.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 am 

Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under" and "On The Backs Of Angels". The latter is a naked tribute to the first.

My Dying Bride's new song "Kneel Till Doomsday" has Aaron singing in a style similar to the way he did in "And I Walk With Them", "Catherine Blake" and some other songs from around then. It all sounds fucking similar....

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 am 

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater wrote:
Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under" and "On The Backs Of Angels". The latter is a naked tribute to the first.

There were those accusations last year that a few of the ADTOE tunes' song structures were rehashes of I&W songs (again, structurally).

The pairing you mention is one of the two where it's really noticeable and egregious, the other being "Lost Not Forgotten" and "Under A Glass Moon". I mean, that one is real bad.

Other comparisons were made between "This Is The Life"/"Another Day", "Outcry"/"Metropolis" (these two pairings are accurate), "Far From Heaven"/"Wait For Sleep", and "Breaking All Illusions"/"Learning To Live" (those last two pairings are reaching IMO-not very accurate at all).

Whether or not it's all a "naked tribute" as you say, or DT taking the easy route by attempting to recreate their most popular album after a very public personnel drama with a key founding member, I'll leave up to you :lol:. Personally, it played a part in ruining the album for me (among other things).
Obliteration

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 pm 

Voivod's "Dimension Hatröss" was the first thing to spot in my mind. They used a lot of the same riffs through "Experiment", "Chaosmonger" and "Macrosolutions To Megaproblems".

Sadistic Intent have a similar riffing on the intro and outro intrumental songs on the "Resurrection" EP ("Resurrection" and "A Mass Of Tortured Souls".)

Also, for those Slayer's satan and hell compilation, i remember some compilation of all the "Uh" an "HEY" screams on "Morbid Tales" and "To Mega Therion". That thing was funny as hell.

Muthafuca
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:26 am 

Riot
This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WZaLtlIW5Y and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWFQNdriJK4

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:08 am 

Anthrax decided to rework a riff

Persistence Of Time's "Gridlock" (1990) and Worship Music's "Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't" (2011)

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:59 pm 

To contradict the post. Me and a buddy were talkina few weeks back about making a band with just a random theme. Example: the lyrical themes would be; Hate, War, How much the movie Tower Heist sucks... or something like Anti-Walmart. Or jellybeans.

Same buddy had a very short lived spontanious grindcore project called ProfessorMcGruffs Timeout. Song was called 'Stay in School'.

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:00 pm 

Death metal bands with lyrics about death, inspired by death and called Torture, Crime Im a Bad Person or Pain are pretty redundant.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:06 pm 

Found another Manilla Road one: slowdown part of "Friction In Mass" off The Deluge, and the slowdown part of "Whitechapel" off Out Of The Abyss.

MetalMarco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:03 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:

I know Annihilator is another band that reuses a lot of ideas. A subtle "Alice In Hell" reprise occurs at the end of "Brain Dance," "Syn. Kill 1" has a slowed down riff from "Refresh The Demon" as its main riff, "Liquid Oval" vaguely reminds me of "Phoenix Rising, "Shallow Grave" and "Nothing To Me" has fairly similar AC/DC-esque riffs, and I don't think I need to explain what "Back To The Palace" uses it as its inspiration...

I see a close connection between "Set The World On Fire" and "Operation Annihilation" plus a good bunch of their early demo songs were re-written and re-titled.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2