Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 am 

Great track, great EP. "Death March" might have the most soulful guitar solo Karl Simon has come up with yet. I like how this EP has something new to offer the Gates of Slumber fans. I mean, it sounds like the band alright, but it also sounds like they have tried not to repeat themselves too much. At least it does so to me. I like to hear other opinions.

And Metantoine, go check out Church of Void! Great Finnish doom, reminiscent of the Gates of Slumber, Lord Vicar and Cardinals Folly in places. It might just be me, but I'm happy there's new trad doom from Finland not trying to imitate Reverend Bizarre.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:03 am 

I did and I'll check it out soon. Can't wait to hear the full TGOS EP as well.

Edit: I got the download from Scion A/V, I'll check it out today.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 am 

I just found Ice Dragon's Dream Dragon today. Mastodon is about the closest thing to this I listen to, so I obviously need some help in this area. I especially like the atmosphere, acoustic instruments, and fantasy/hippie lyrics. The lofi production is also nice. I could do without the more rock-ish tracks like Maximum Trip, though. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I should also mention I listen to a lot of Neofolk, so any crossover there is welcome.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:39 am 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
I just found Ice Dragon's Dream Dragon today. Mastodon is about the closest thing to this I listen to, so I obviously need some help in this area. I especially like the atmosphere, acoustic instruments, and fantasy/hippie lyrics. The lofi production is also nice. I could do without the more rock-ish tracks like Maximum Trip, though. Any suggestions?

Love Ice Dragon. They're like metallic King Crimson. If you're looking for similar sounding stuff then check out Paul Chain. His earlier albums are very trad doom oriented and later stuffs are more spacey, psychedelic.
Also check out Sigiriya, formed by former members of Acrimony.

Doomsday wrote:
Great track, great EP. "Death March" might have the most soulful guitar solo Karl Simon has come up with yet. I like how this EP has something new to offer the Gates of Slumber fans. I mean, it sounds like the band alright, but it also sounds like they have tried not to repeat themselves too much. At least it does so to me. I like to hear other opinions.

TGOS can't do no wrong. Loving Stormcrow so far. I think it sounds a bit different but at the same time it carries the vibe where The Wretch left off.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

TheSimeon88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:21 am 

I'm looking for slower (lol) doom metal that contrasts between really nice, beautiful passages, and really ugly and vicious passages. But, I would really love it if it also utilized brass instruments, specifically trumpets (a funeral doom march?). So slow doom + contrast + brass section.

Also, if I may put in a second request, I would like doom metal that is backed by a real symphony.

c_zar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 pm 

I want to recommend the vastly under appreciated albums by Minotauri to people on this thread. They are somewhere between Reverend Bizarre (my favorite doom band) and SabbathwithDio (and also Sabbath's Born Again), but simpler and with charming Euro barbarian singing. Certainly a little bit epic metal in there too.

Here's a review I did for wormgear and put on the metal archives--
http://wormgearzine.com/2013/01/16/minotauri-ii/

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 pm 

c_zar wrote:
I want to recommend the vastly under appreciated albums by Minotauri to people on this thread. They are somewhere between Reverend Bizarre (my favorite doom band) and SabbathwithDio (and also Sabbath's Born Again), but simpler and with charming Euro barbarian singing. Certainly a little bit epic metal in there too.

Here's a review I did for wormgear and put on the metal archives--
http://wormgearzine.com/2013/01/16/minotauri-ii/

The first Minotauri album is top notch (can you guess where my screen name came from? :D). Not really keen on their second album though.

Indoomstrial metle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm 

caspian wrote:
Finally a thread that I can appear to be knowledgeable in.

Here's something that I'm looking for, if anyone can help: Some sort of doom with a sort of, uhh, elegant (yet still satisfying heavy) riffing style, and a really epic feel. Effectively a doom metal album that brings to mind epic fantasy novels but is still satisfyingly heavy. I guess My Dying Bride at their slowest mixed with, say, the epic scope of Thergothon but a bit less ominous and lovecraft-ish.

Try a little band called The Body. I wouldn't exactly call it sludge metal, I'd more so call it noise/inustrial doom metal, but when I listen to their song, "Lathspell I Name You", medieval shit floods my head because of the cover and they have some opera-ish female vocals(opera's probably not the right word for it but I can't think of the right word at this time).

Indoomstrial metle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 pm 

TheSimeon88 wrote:
I'm looking for slower (lol) doom metal that contrasts between really nice, beautiful passages, and really ugly and vicious passages. But, I would really love it if it also utilized brass instruments, specifically trumpets (a funeral doom march?). So slow doom + contrast + brass section.

Also, if I may put in a second request, I would like doom metal that is backed by a real symphony.

I can't do much for symphony, but there's a little band from Melbourne called Halo who like to make really slow stuff with some monumentally heavy bursts of ass ugly bass and drum. Their early stuff is pretty bad but their newerest stuff is fairly nice. Most of it is free on their website. "Degree Zero Point of Implosion" is one of my all time favorite albums. They're industrial doom.

Enjoy.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 am 

TheSimeon88 wrote:

Virgin Black uses a full orchestra. I haven't listened to much of them, but they seem to be highly regarded. They just might fit your first request too...

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:18 am 

Hey guys, stream of the entire debut album by In-Graved (Victor Griffin's new band!) is here: https://soundcloud.com/svart-records/se ... ed/s-gUgyR

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:39 pm 

c_zar wrote:
Minotauri

A great band, always deserving more attention. Too bad they didn't get it when they were active. Maybe the vocals are what's off-putting for so many (it's a common complaint, at least), because a doom fan couldn't possibly dismiss the high quality riffing/songwriting. The debut album is one of the finest doom metal records Finland has produced, although I think the bonus material on it, taken from even earlier releases, are the band's best songs. The second album's weaker but still very solid.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:12 pm 

Indoomstrial metle wrote:
caspian wrote:
Finally a thread that I can appear to be knowledgeable in.

Here's something that I'm looking for, if anyone can help: Some sort of doom with a sort of, uhh, elegant (yet still satisfying heavy) riffing style, and a really epic feel. Effectively a doom metal album that brings to mind epic fantasy novels but is still satisfyingly heavy. I guess My Dying Bride at their slowest mixed with, say, the epic scope of Thergothon but a bit less ominous and lovecraft-ish.

Try a little band called The Body. I wouldn't exactly call it sludge metal, I'd more so call it noise/inustrial doom metal, but when I listen to their song, "Lathspell I Name You", medieval shit floods my head because of the cover and they have some opera-ish female vocals(opera's probably not the right word for it but I can't think of the right word at this time).

Quoting from the very first page. Always fun :lol:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Cheeselord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:28 am 

Can any recommend some Doom that's actually heavy? I've listened to Sabbath, St Vitus, Reverend Bizarre, Candlemass and such, but not of it is really heavy. No Stoner, or Death/Doom please, I want crushing Doom that's traditionally styled.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 am 

Cheeselord wrote:
Can any recommend some Doom that's actually heavy? I've listened to Sabbath, St Vitus, Reverend Bizarre, Candlemass and such, but not of it is really heavy. No Stoner, or Death/Doom please, I want crushing Doom that's traditionally styled.

If you don't find Sabbath, Vitus, Rev Bizarre heavy, then I don't think doom is actually your thing or ever gonna be. :roll:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 am 

Cheeselord wrote:

Sounds like you need some KYPCK:

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:04 am 

Cheeselord wrote:

You could try Warning and Pallbearer.

Im not sure you can consider much trad doom to be heavier than Rev Biz though.

ketreeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:12 pm 

some traditional doom bands like black sabbath, count raven, witchfinder general or pagan altar ?

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 pm 

Cheeselord wrote:

You, my friend, need Cathedral's debut album "Forest of Equilibrium" in your life. Dating from before they went all uptempo and groovy, it's crushingly slow and heavy, almost to the point of Doom/Death (but not quite), yet is still built upon the traditional roots of Sabbath and Trouble. Effectively, at the time of its release (1991), it updated traditional Doom for the Death Metal generation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP39rhhav1E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpUihEktK8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkuzJMZ8LD4

Or, for something a bit more recent, maybe Pilgrim?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IW5WQxj_0

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 am 

Cheeselord wrote:

I was having some luck with Windhand the other day. They might be too stoner for you, though. Still .. pretty heavy. Maybe check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf7dAUwr8LI

and yes: Pagan Altar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-7wZyUeyTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHS9qcwR_8

KreatorOfAggression
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:50 pm 

Please check this band out:

STONED PROPHETS

Doom metal a la Candlemass, Krux, Black Sabbath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyzcZyNMGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtRWhVsYwfc

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 pm 

Cheeselord wrote:

Minotauri maybe? Or how about The Gates of Slumber?
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:48 pm 

This isn't traditionally styled really but it's heavy and more people should know about it.

Stone Titan
http://stonetitan.bandcamp.com/album/7
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:31 pm 

I absolutely cannot wait for Stone Titan's LP! And hopefully I can get them booked for a show here in June. Muh fuckas be bullshittin'.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:00 pm 

For those who are looking for some melo-doom/death in the vein of mid-era My Dying Bride with female vocals also, you may want to check out Nox Aurea. I'm going through their second album now, and I have nothing bad to say about them. :>

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 pm 

Lately, "Salvation" and "Spoils of Failure" have been kicking my ass, so I'm looking for more atmospheric, slightly melodic sludge, in the likes of Cult of Luna, Buried Inside and Dimlaia. Feel free to recommend obvious stuff because i'm new to this genre.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:05 pm 

So I got Magic Circle's debut in the mail today and it's pretty goddamn great from my listen or two. Very solid Heavy/doom stuff. Check them out, if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34AS_zSm-c

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:38 am 

Whoa, this is actually way better than I expected. I mean, I tend to think you have pretty good tastes so it's nothing personal, I just found their album cover an instant turn-off. I'm digging the riffing for sure and there's something special about the vocals...he sounds almost like a southern rock vocalist to me. Which sounds like it would be awful but it's working.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:52 am 

Hahaha, the album cover is... uh... I don't even know what to say about it. It's just kind of there. But hey, thanks and same to you. The riffing is great and the vocals are kind of interesting and the guy sure kills with them. There's not really anything too unique about the music and all, but it's just really damn good heavy/doom sort of stuff. And there's always room for that!

As an aside, I've been waiting since late 2011 when that track and another one appeared on youtube one day. It's nice to finally have the wait, which had no visible end to it, finally over and worth it, too!

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:45 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:

EDIT: I should also mention I listen to a lot of Neofolk, so any crossover there is welcome.

I just want to point out that Ice Dragon released an EP earlier this year entitled The Soul's Midnight. It's drone-influenced and quite dark, very much in the vein of greyblackfalconhawk but more riff-focused. I highly recommend checking it out.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 pm 

I'm not sure if Priestess is a band that some of you listen to, but I'm looking for bands which can be somewhat categorized as stoner-rock/metal but which use really chunky riffs (very riff-oriented is what I mean). Check out one their popular songs to get an idea - Lay Down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAgECFjKTbo)
Bonus points for similar vocal styles. Thanks.

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:47 am 

shouvince wrote:
I'm not sure if Priestess is a band that some of you listen to, but I'm looking for bands which can be somewhat categorized as stoner-rock/metal but which use really chunky riffs (very riff-oriented is what I mean). Check out one their popular songs to get an idea - Lay Down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAgECFjKTbo)
Bonus points for similar vocal styles. Thanks.

Clutch and Wolfmother are really similar to Priestess. Maybe you should check out Valient Thorr. They're a bit fast at times, like a stoner Motorhead.

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:30 am 

I've heard so much about Valient Thorr. Maybe it's time to check them out. Thanks. Regarding, Wolfmother and Clutch, I've already heard their music.

Doom777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:58 am 

My doom list
Bedemon
Pallbearer
Pilgrim
Yob
Middian a.k.a yob

Conan
My stoner list
Uncle acid and the deadbeats
Kings of frog island
Colour haze
Elder
The machine
Kyuss
Brutus
Los natas
Asteroid
The great escape

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:58 pm 

i have been on a hardcore sludge kick lately. grief, eyehategod, wrake, noothgrush, thou, fistula, buzzov.en, facedowninshit, primitive man, haarp, hell, to name a few. i was wondering if any one could suggest some other sludge bands. also was wondering if any one knew of any bands that sound like a cross between electric wizard and reverend bizarre?

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:48 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:
any bands that sound like a cross between electric wizard and reverend bizarre?

Are you familiar with Witchsorrow? To my ears, they sound like a more traditional Electric Wizard without the space/psych influences; they could just be what you're after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ZGaiONgs4

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:58 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
So I got Magic Circle's debut in the mail today and it's pretty goddamn great from my listen or two. Very solid Heavy/doom stuff. Check them out, if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34AS_zSm-c

Great album for sure, they'll play a new fest in Montréal in August, it will be awesome

Shouvince, maybe check out stuff like Horisont, Graveyard or Orcus Chylde, less metal than Priestess but it has the bluesy elements and the catchy hooks.

Also check Groan, awesome British doom/stoner, it's fucking groovy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSxKoCm0KC8

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:01 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Shouvince, maybe check out stuff like Horisont, Graveyard or Orcus Chylde, less metal than Priestess but it has the bluesy elements and the catchy hooks.

Also check Groan, awesome British doom/stoner, it's fucking groovy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSxKoCm0KC8

Thanks Tony, I checked out Horisont on youtube. Good stuff man. I'll have a look at the rest as well.

And Groaaaan! What a name and leaving aside that terrible album cover...the music is top notch! Very groovy! This should keep me busy for sometime :thumbsup:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:03 pm 

Ah man, I like the album art, it reminds me of Cathedral just like their music.

For Horisont, the 1st album is bluesier, the 2nd is more rock/borderline metal.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:14 pm 

It seemed a bit too much, no?

With regards to Horisont, I'll keep that in mind. Blues isn't bad anyway and I don't mind it. I'm starting off with Groan's first album in 3...2...1...

EDIT: THE MOTHERFUCKIN' LYRICS! Amazing stuff! Nowplaying: Groan - Ride Of The Antichrist

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 133  Next