Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Rosemary's Baby is the best satanic horror film ever.

Only if The Exorcist and Angel Heart don't count.

In any event, the three form a pretty awesome trilogy, highlighting different aspects.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 pm 

Those are both great films, but I think Rosemary's Baby is better, even if only by a little. Nothing beats the killer pacing and atmosphere of that movie. The Exorcist was grislier and Angel Heart had the super awesome detective-Louisiana-voodoo shtick going on, but Rosemary's Baby is simply the best. Man, it's been way too long since I've seen any of these though.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:01 am 

The Omen is quite similar to Rosemary's Baby in terms of subject matter. Harvey Stephens as the satanic child is damn creepy and innocent at the same time. He gets creepier and creepier as all the weird things and deaths take place one by one. Rating - 4/5

Edit - I didn't quite read the previous pages before posting. I see that the comparisons are already there. Anyway, it's not as quite terrible as some of you think. :-P
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:11 am 

I think The Omen is great. I haven't seen it in awhile but the death scenes are still firmly etched in mind. The birthday scene at the beginning being the most shocking and memorable, it truly set the nightmarish tone for the rest of the film. Also the graveyard scene where Keith and Robert seek out Damien's mother's grave and what they find had me taken back the first time I saw it. I don't really like ranking classic horror films over others like The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby because they're all equally brilliant in their own right.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:08 am 

Yeah, they're good, but in different ways. Angel Heart is probably my favorite though, personally speaking. Even though the ending is a twist it doesn't come off as contrived at all, as they clearly set it up over the course of the movie, and it doesn't seem like a "gotcha" either. It just had such a bleak tone, and it left a lot to the imagination (in a good way). I loved the metaphor of the descending elevator.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:50 pm 

Plus, you know, DeNiro as the freaking Devil!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:31 am 

Flight - 1.5/5

I expected a lot from this one, as it looked good and was marketed as this really serious, somber drama - I don't know who the fuck's idea that was, but they were obviously in need of a lobotomy. This is pretty much one of the most confused films I've seen lately, lurching insanely between a pained, torturous drama about a man suffering from alcohol addiction and a very goofy sort of romantic comedy involving a recovering crack addict (can you feel the love yet?). The story has really no pacing at all as it just sort of does whatever the hell it wants, with little regard to any kind of emotional build up or storytelling sense, and though it starts off well and has a few good moments here and there, this is pretty much awful, and a real headache to watch. It gets really preachy at times, too, and has nothing interesting to say beyond...drunk people shouldn't fly planes. Fascinating. Call me when you're ready to write a script that doesn't involve lawyers locking up an alcoholic in a hotel room when they're trying to get him clean, but failing to notice that they put him right next to an open room full of booze. Frankly, I need a drink after this.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Also the graveyard scene where Keith and Robert seek out Damien's mother's grave and what they find had me taken back the first time I saw it.

Hah, that scene and the graveyard itself are fucking made of evil. Also, Jerry Goldsmith and that unforgettable score.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 pm 

I just came across this poster. Seems interesting but then again, it could be misleading.

Spoiler: show

The wiki for this...

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:46 pm 

Guys, I've never seen Blade Runner. How urgent is it that I correct that?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 pm 

Rather urgent, but not excessively so.

What I hate about that movie is that one unnecessarily rapey scene though.
Needed to get that off my chest.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:09 am 

Seven Psychopaths - 2.75/5

I really liked this director's last movie In Bruges, which was a clever, well made dramedy that actually played up both the drama and the comedy really well. This...is not quite so well made. I think the real problem here is the writing, which is just a mess - this is a very 'meta' sort of movie that tries to be funny by talking about how they're in a movie while the events are going on, and the whole thing is completely ridiculous; it is supposed to be. But intent does not signify greatness or even remote intelligence, and this is mostly just a dumb, dumb movie that goes off in too many directions at once, like a rogue firecracker. The saving grace is the acting, which is quite good, and you can tell big names like Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson and Christopher Walken tried their damndest to save the mediocre script, and we do get some very good moments here and there - but not enough to really recommend this, unfortunately.

Seeing Warm Bodies tomorrow - it's made by the 50/50 director Jonathon Levine? Consider me sold.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:22 am 

I recall darkeningday bashing the movie, and a bunch of us ganged up on him. Well, I still agree on the ganging up part, but when I saw the movie myself I thought the exact same thing, Emp. The acting wasn't bad, but the god damn script was a mess. Walken and Harrelson ruled, but it went NOWHERE. Totally different direction than I expected. The comedy was decent in parts but some others were too forced.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:24 am 

The strange thing is, up to the last scene, I really, deeply wanted to like the movie - I was trying real hard to get into a groove with what the story was trying to be, but the movie seemed to understand that, and as such, kept on changing shit up and throwing new directions in that just made no sense. And it's just sad because Walken was so great in it and Harrelson seemed to really be trying to turn it into a serious movie, but neither could do it even with their talents.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:58 am 

Just watched Thick as Thieves, which I have to say is probably the best Pulp Fiction influenced crime film I've seen, much better than the self-important mess that was Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead. Thick as Thieves is basically about one crook betraying another and the resultant escalating cycle of personal revenge that ends up becoming a problem for everyone. Obviously at the climax the whole thing comes to a head and is resolved; a simple plot, but it's executed extremely well, with all the quirky characters being deftly written such that you get a really good sense for who they are despite very little time being spent on each of them (and it's a short movie: just over 90 minutes). It's quite lighthearted, with a lot of laugh-out-loud moments, yet never to the point where it seems so unrealistic that it ruins the seriousness of the subject matter. The attention to realism is also quite appreciated; for example the protagonist is shown putting bullets into his gun with a cloth, so he doesn't leave his fingerprints on the cartridges, and throughout the movie he's quite meticulous about fingerprints in general. But it doesn't beat you over the head with it. Honestly I think the dialog is probably better than Pulp Fiction's for my taste, in that it's not so "HEY LOOK AT ME, WE'RE HAVING DIALOG NOW" the way Tarantino does. It's much more subtle and sprinkled liberally throughout, and always drives the plot and/or character development, so it seems much less show-offy. Anyway, great movie, and it's on Netflix too.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:21 am 

Wait, so you hated Flight AND Seven Psychopaths? SO MUCH disagreement.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:54 am 

I can see how people liked Seven Psychopaths; at least that had goofy acting and some creative bits here and there...but what's the attraction to Flight? That shit pissed me off.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:40 pm 

I thought it was a decent enough movie. The performances were all awesome, and Denzel one of the best out there. The plane scene was intense as hell and I felt involved in the aftermath and the relationship, even if the latter could have been better handled. My only problem with it is the preachy undertones and implications of divine intervention. It basically goes: alcoholism bad, chance meeting, moral retribution, end.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:28 am 

Please tell me there are some Godzilla fans on the board. Fans of the Showa stuff.

My tastes lean towards the seventies. I'd say my favorite is either Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla or vs. Gigan, both are absolute treats for fans. Some cool new cosmic monsters, so old classic ones, a strangely loveable group of human characters, excellent scores, hilarious aliens, etc.

"SATORIS!"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 am 

It's funny that you mention that because I just came back from a friend's place, and he has TONS of Godzilla stuff. I frankly didn't know which one to borrow.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:48 am 

My little brother got a collection of VHS tapes when he was six or seven, bunch of old Godzilla films (Vs King Gidorah, Vs Gigan, Vs Megalon, Vs Mechagodzilla, and Godzilla 1985, if I remember correctly). We watched the shit out of them back in the day. Whichever one had Jet Jaguar in it was my favorite, because he was so fucking corny that I couldn't help but giggle like an idiot every time he came on screen.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:44 pm 

I LOVE Godzilla! I own all the movies (including the much-maligned-yet-awesome Godzilla 1985, aka The Return of Godzilla), have some action figures, and a poster hanging up behind me. Favorite movie? I don't know, historically it would have to be Godzilla 1985. I actually like the American version, and I've seen and own the Japanese version too. I don't know that it's my current favorite though. As cliché as it is, it's impossible to deny that Gojira is the best movie overall. It's so incredibly sad, too. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is awesome too. Destoroyah is easily one of the most hateable villains the big G has ever faced (Gigan comes close, because he's such a little bitch). I never cared much for Mechagodzilla, except in the later movies when they portrayed him as Kiryu, which I thought was interesting (and sometimes hilarious).

@BastardHead: The movie you're talking about is Godzilla vs. Megalon. Sad to say, but that one's always been in my bottom 10 Godzilla movies. :lol:

Edit: Wow, that's some terrible writing I just did up there. I guess I get excited when talking about Godzilla. :-P

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 pm 

Just came back from the cinema. I went to see Django Unchained. First of all, I have to say is that Cristoph Waltz should get a lead role in a movie ASAP. I love how that man acts. I love how he speaks. I love the way he moves. I swear on my father's liver, that guy is awesome. Second of all; Django Unchained is one of the best movies Tarantino has made. Up there with Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds. Also, I don't think I'll ever be as scared of Leonardo DiCaprio as I was with this film.

The scene with him swinging that hammer around while holding Broomhilda down was pretty damn intimidating.

Really, I loved this film. Everything about it; the performances, the cast, the soundtrack, the camera work, the dialogue..... I loved it all.

And yes, I'm a Tarantino fan, in case you guys were wondering :-P

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 pm 

I really enjoyed Flight, even though it's far from a masterpiece.

It is true the pacing was really weird. I know Robert Zemeckis likes to put his print on whatever script he shoots, so my guess is there were several rewrites and that is why the vibe is all over the place. But still, the main message that nothing is black and white is really well conveyed IMO. Being a careless drunk has its moment of fun and is pathetic. And you can be really accomplished at certain things and still be pathetic. I also like that he lies until the very end. When you think about it, there really isn't any big revelation dawning on the main character. His only way out is prison, because there was no way he was gonna stop drinking by himself and simply go on with his life. The scenes where they "prep him up" for the hearing after his night of binge drinking is fucking golden too.

I just finished watching The Impossible. Some cool scenes and good acting but ultimately, totally forgettable. Too cheesy to be an grand scope drama but too serious to be an epic disaster thriller. It's caught somewhere between both. A missed opportunity. Also, somewhat pathetic with casting choices and the way it focuses on tourists instead of the locals. Gave it a 5 out of 10.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 am 

I dunno you guys, I thought Flight was total ass and had almost no redeeming values. It started off OK, but then it was just like...either really, really unpleasantly depressing or almost goofy in the scenes with John Goodman. Denzel Washington did a good job acting like a total fucking douchebag drunken asshole, and I can see the argument that it reflects the tone of an alcoholic's troubled life, but a lot of the time I just wasn't getting anything out of it. The tone was too all over the place and too poorly handled - like how those scenes with the crack addict woman were just randomly, haphazardly spliced in the middle of the scenes of him flying the plane? That was shit. The scene where they finally meet up and do their little semi-flirting thing? Total contrived Hallmark moment...so corny...oh, wait, were we supposed to be feeling somber and sober at the fact that a bunch of people just died on a plane crash and Washington is still reeling in the aftermath? Whoops. Not to mention that whole romance basically goes nowhere, as she leaves in the middle of the movie so fast that you'd think she'd just come to the realization of what kind of movie she was really in. But that's a bit petty of me, I think.

And I'd also like to call attention to the total Jumping the Shark moment that I alluded to in my earlier blurb, where

They put him in that hotel to get sober overnight and stay away from the press, right? And in the middle of the night he just opens the conjoining door to the other room and finds a fridge full of booze? And I'm supposed to believe they didn't just check it beforehand, to make sure that the ONE THING they were protecting him from wasn't LESS THAN 50 FEET AWAY in the middle of the night? That loses all credibility in my books, and I'm glad the next twenty minutes afterward were so horrible anyway, so I didn't have to feel conflicted in loathing it.

Speaking of the next twenty minutes, yeah...so you get the whole cliche court sequence where of course Washington comes clean and "stops lying," though I wasn't aware that his lying was his biggest problem aside from maybe one line or something before this...and then he reconciles with his son who we've seen for two minutes, in an incredibly schmaltzy finish? No thanks!

Eh. Different strokes? :p

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:13 am 

Just watched the best documentary I've seen in a while.

It is on Netflix, some documentary from 2000 called Dark Days. Apparently the guy that made it lived with and became trusted by a community of homeless folks who took residence beneath the Penn station tracks in NYC. The documentary covers just about every aspect of their subterranean life, and it is absolutely fascinating - mostly because of how these people retain their humanity despite being in the worst possible disposition a person could be in, and also because of the politics, etc., that go on that most civilians aren't even aware of. It is actually pretty funny to, and the whole atmosphere is incredible. Shot on black and white film, with a great trip-hop soundtrack. Lots of DJ Shadow.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 am 

Speaking of Godzilla flicks there's a new one in the works. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/
Japanese studio Toho was pretty much pissed by the American reboot, so they've cancelled the deal with Sony. Therefore, it won't be a sequel of the '98 film. Stupid Japanese. I loved the rendition of the creature in that film, now they want to reincarnate that idiotic robotic pattern. :grumble:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:26 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Just watched the best documentary I've seen in a while.

It is on Netflix, some documentary from 2000 called Dark Days. Apparently the guy that made it lived with and became trusted by a community of homeless folks who took residence beneath the Penn station tracks in NYC. The documentary covers just about every aspect of their subterranean life, and it is absolutely fascinating - mostly because of how these people retain their humanity despite being in the worst possible disposition a person could be in, and also because of the politics, etc., that go on that most civilians aren't even aware of. It is actually pretty funny to, and the whole atmosphere is incredible. Shot on black and white film, with a great trip-hop soundtrack. Lots of DJ Shadow.

I saw that a while back, great movie.

Kevbo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:58 pm 

Flight is good, but really nothing special. What is special about it, however, is how effortless Denzel makes acting seem. He's taken some rather questionable roles over the years, but never does a movie suffer from his performance, and Flight is nothing but carried by him. Otherwise, it's a so-so redemption story that tries a little too hard to be quirky and eccentric. Goodman's performance is overblown and rather ridiculous in light of the seriousness of everything going on...comedy relief is important, but Denzel's drunken shenanigans provides enough without Goodman's "Dude 2.0" routine.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 pm 

Con Air: This movie rules hard. It strikes the best balance between being ultra stupid and really, really fun. The dialogue is brilliant and silly, the action kicks ass, Nic Cage's accent is hilarious and completely shitty and not believable. I loved it. This is not a deep movie. The soundtrack is nothing but guitar soloing and every character is completely over the top, especially Malkovitch. Essentially one of the best inadvertent action comedies.

But it's nothing in comparison to mothafuckin' TROLL 2: Holy fuck is this movie enjoyable. I watched it for the first time with my friend and a few beers. We spent the whole time riffing on it. Because you pretty much have to. It's actually a very memorable movie and most of the things that made you laugh immediately stick with you. The acting is horrendously bad, the quality of the footage changes randomly, there are scenes that add NOTHING to the movie, things are brought up only to never be concluded upon, in short it's brilliant. A movie that can only be rivaled by The Room in brilliant shittiness.

Henry, Portrait of a Killer: A brooding, menacing film with skin crawling sound effects, sparse music, and an eerie, pretty much emotionless main performance. Incredibly violent, slow, with an ending that packs a punch. Essential viewing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:20 pm 

I love Troll 2. It's so fucking silly and just a gem of horrible filmmaking...The Room I didn't enjoy nearly as much, personally, though that one is certainly a corker of a horrible movie by itself. And yeah Con Air rules.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Con Air: This movie rules hard. It strikes the best balance between being ultra stupid and really, really fun. The dialogue is brilliant and silly, the action kicks ass, Nic Cage's accent is hilarious and completely shitty and not believable. I loved it. This is not a deep movie. The soundtrack is nothing but guitar soloing and every character is completely over the top, especially Malkovitch. Essentially one of the best inadvertent action comedies.

I saw this again with my sister and I agree fully. It's such a dumb movie that I love it. Dave Chappelle is also great in this.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
But it's nothing in comparison to mothafuckin' TROLL 2: Holy fuck is this movie enjoyable. I watched it for the first time with my friend and a few beers. We spent the whole time riffing on it. Because you pretty much have to. It's actually a very memorable movie and most of the things that made you laugh immediately stick with you. The acting is horrendously bad, the quality of the footage changes randomly, there are scenes that add NOTHING to the movie, things are brought up only to never be concluded upon, in short it's brilliant. A movie that can only be rivaled by The Room in brilliant shittiness.

Did you know that Troll 2 is really about anti-vegetarianism? Watch the documentary, Best Worst Movie.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:26 am 

I don't know how many times I've seen Frozen River, but it still manages to knock the wind out of me every time. Haven't bitten out this many nails since The Wages of Fear.

And while it's no where near the caliber of that film, it's still really, really good and everyone who lives in the states should be required to see it at least once. One of the most assured female directorial debut's since Lynn's Ramsey's Morvern Callar.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Kevbo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:49 pm 

Dredd was actually pretty good. Didn't spring for the 3D but could definitely see where it would have been used to good effect. Perhaps my extremely low expectations (compared to the original) made it better for me, but overall an enjoyable action film.

Karl Urban makes me forget about Stallone's Dredd in about 15 minutes.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:50 am 

watched this Sundanese movie last weekend called "Teeth" about this chick who has teeth in her vagina that bites off dicks.

Considering the story line i thought it was really well done

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:59 am 

Good god, "well done" is about the last way I would describe that film.

Just finished re-watching the Evil Dead trilogy this weekend. Damn I love those movies (Mostly the first 2, but Army Of Darkness is amusing). "WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!" still absolutely slays me.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:17 am 

Well, Following is the first Nolan film I've really disliked. It's just dull and absurd, the bad acting and bad dialogue pairing is the icing. I'm hoping Pi by Darren Aronofsky is better than this.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
watched this Sundanese movie last weekend called "Teeth" about this chick who has teeth in her vagina that bites off dicks.

Considering the story line i thought it was really well done

That movie made me cringe, and not just due to the castration scenes. Ugh.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Speaking of Godzilla flicks there's a new one in the works. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/
Japanese studio Toho was pretty much pissed by the American reboot, so they've cancelled the deal with Sony. Therefore, it won't be a sequel of the '98 film. Stupid Japanese. I loved the rendition of the creature in that film, now they want to reincarnate that idiotic robotic pattern. :grumble:

I must be misunderstanding you because there is no possible way any Godzilla fan could want a sequal to that 1998 abomination.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 818  Next