Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 am 

So apparently The Devil's Blood have decided to split up.

From their homepage:
Quote:
As of the 22nd of January 2013 The Devil´s Blood has returned into nothingness.
All planned Rituals will be cancelled.
No interviews will be done.
Consummatum est.

-SL & F

The Devil’s Blood – 2007 / 2013

Pretty shitty news, I was going to see them live in two months.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 am 

That really fucking sucks. That is one band I was really thinking I'd like to see eventually.
They didn't seem like a very stable/personable/even remotely friendly or considerate group of individuals though, so it's actually not that surprising at all that they did.

It still sucks.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:23 am 

Shouldn't this be in The Tavern?

I'm indifferent about this. I never got into them so I won't be crying about this. One thing that I'm wondering about is why they quit. Weren't they making a name for themselves?

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 pm 

Well, I can't say I'll miss them. Sure, I liked The Time Of No Time Evermore quite a bit (haven't listened to their second album yet), but they didn't strike me as the best of their kind. Now, if the ones to announce their retirement were Jess and the Ancient Ones, then I would be losing my shit.

Tempered_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 pm 

Wow, I own both of their albums and they spoke to me in a very profound way. Although this happening saddens me, it is probably the best for them.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Well, I can't say I'll miss them. Sure, I liked The Time Of No Time Evermore quite a bit (haven't listened to their second album yet), but they didn't strike me as the best of their kind. Now, if the ones to announce their retirement were Jess and the Ancient Ones, then I would be losing my shit.

BOOM! Truth bomb niggas.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:16 pm 

Unfortunate. While I'll agree there was some inconsistency on their studio albums, this band was incredible when I saw them live at MDF last year. Didn't know what to expect and ended up having the most fun during their set. Just glad I got to see them now that it appears they're done.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 pm 

This is disappointing, I saw The Devil's Blood last year on the Decibel Magazine Tour and they were a lot of fun. Great sound, very warm and vintage, with a lot of retro soloing and a surprising amount of instrumental passages. From what I remember their vocalist didnt spend a significant amount of time singing. They were a great way to warm up for Watain and Behemoth (unfortunately I missed In Solitude). The main guy behind the band, I'm unsure of his name, was also a touring guitarist for Watain and he fit like a glove. Really good stage presence and a damn good guitarist.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:43 pm 

That sucks. I missed them twice when they were in the area, and now I won't get to see them ever! The message sounds a bit childish though. Pretty shitty to cancel all upcoming gigs and turning down all interviews. Obviously I don't know the details of their breakup, but surely the fans deserve to know the reason they're being screwed out of gigs?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:49 pm 

Lame! I had the pleasure to see them live last year, but only a short 30 mins set :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Westvargr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm 

I am so glad I got to see them three times, even though I would have loved to see them even more often. Each time was an unique and uplifting experience.
The Time of no Time Evermore is one of my favourites records and since discovering the band their music inspired and meant a lot to me. It's a shame. I will miss them.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:05 pm 

For some reason, I always confused these guys with Bible Of The Devil. Either way, I didn't listen to them much but it is unfortunate.

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm 

Considering he follows the same satanic movement that Nodveidt did, he's probably ready to off himself. Either way a bummer, I enjoyed their music.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:21 pm 

Terrible news and terrible timing. The whole occult rock thing really started to take off last year; they could've gone so much farther.

At least they left behind a good, albeit short, legacy. Made a pretty big impact on the scene too.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:30 pm 

That retirement message is the coolest thing they've done. Seriously not being a dick, those four sentences were badass.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:38 am 

While I like their music, I'm not sure what "new" direction they could have taken with it. Their latest album was decent, but a bit disappointing compared to the earlier one and EP, and all the added douchebaggery and/or hovering around nearly every tour they've been on, it doesn't surprise me they're calling it quits. Was however cool to see them live a couple years ago.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:34 am 

the quicker this shithouse mum doom/"occult rock" trend ends the better off we'll be. Glad that TDL have taken the lead, hopefully others follow!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 am 

Or you can, you know..... Not listen to them. It's not like the existence of this little scene actively bothers you, is it Caspian?

Vipunen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 am 

caspian wrote:
the quicker this shithouse mum doom/"occult rock" trend ends the better off we'll be. Glad that TDL have taken the lead, hopefully others follow!

:beer:

I had the misfortune of catching JatAO playing at Hammer Open Air during last summer.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:43 am 

JatAO?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:43 am 

Subrick wrote:
JatAO?

Jess and the Ancient Ones.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:53 am 

FWIW, I never liked Ghost... and I didn't even know this "occult rock revival" was a "thing" (however small) until pretty recently (haven't heard most bands associated with it, as a matter of fact, or even -heard of- them before maybe a month ago).

I just really enjoy TDB. I don't think finding out they are "part of something" that is "sorta popular" is really grounds for being a snob about/deciding I should dislike them.

That's so fucking teenage rebel, "FUCK THE MAINSTREAM, MAAAAN!", it borders on being totally obnoxious (which should tell you something coming from me. People HATE me on here!).

My point being, it's fine to dislike something, but it's stupid to dislike something and then explain it as if you only dislike it for "being popular".

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:26 pm 

IMO The Devil's Blood were surpassed by other bands in their style. Mainly Jess and the Ancient Ones and Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats. Still, it sucks to see them break up.

Fuck the haters, the retro-doom/occult psych rock trend is coming out with some legitimately kickass music.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:25 pm 

My one experience with this band was seeing them open for Behemoth, where they struck me as completely inappropriate. It seemed like just because they were Satanic, people thought they would fit right in at an extreme metal concert, and they damn well didn't. I didn't even think they were bad, musically (well, besides being rather boring), but the inappropriateness of their being there was very annoying. They were like the second or third band to go on stage, and they just stopped the show dead. Ugh. Their breaking up prevents the possibility of them clogging up any more shows, so color me happy.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:27 pm 

Well In Solitude was also one of the bands on that tour, and pretty much everything I've seen written about them on that tour has been positive.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:00 pm 

This is a shame. Glad I was able to see them on the Decibel Tour last year... they put on a great show. I personally thought they and In Solitude brought a nice contrast to the black/death metal vibes of Behemoth and Watain that night. I'm sure the breakup will elevate their esoteric cult status even further. At least we still have a bunch of similar bands still going.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:21 pm 

They only quit so Selim can concentrate fully on his career in beating people up that look at him funny.

For Satan.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:38 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Well In Solitude was also one of the bands on that tour, and pretty much everything I've seen written about them on that tour has been positive.

In Solitude were absolutely terrible. Bland music and one of the worst singers I've ever heard. Those two bands ensured that that tour was only 'ok'.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:52 pm 

Even if the two non extreme metal bands on the tour weren't very good (I didn't go to it so I wouldn't know how In Solitude and The Devil's Blood did first person), I'd think Watain, who I know do not disappoint live having played on a bill with them before, and Behemoth, who are fucking Behemoth, would make up for it.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:03 pm 

You're right. Watain were solid, but not outstanding, to me. Not really anything against them; black metal live usually doesn't do much for me, as I find it far more effective when listened to in private. Behemoth were great. If it had just been those two bands, I'd have had no complaints with the show. However, with The Devil's Blood and In Solitude playing before them, it felt like an eternity before we finally got to the good stuff. That's what crippled that tour - the opening bands were such a trial on my patience. I prefer to forget that they played when I'm remembering that show, because otherwise it was great.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:09 pm 

I think one of the reasons In Solitude got on the tour was because Erik Danielsson is an open and professed fan of them. As for The Devil's Blood, I'm not sure why they were on it.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 pm 

Subrick wrote:
As for The Devil's Blood, I'm not sure why they were on it.

Behemoth played a part in choosing the bands if I remember correctly. They wanted to throw together a very "evil" tour with bands they're fans of, or so I read. So The Devil's Blood fit the bill lyrically. Selim Lemouchi, their guitarist, was filling in live for Watain on the tour, which may have influenced that decision. And even though I didn't get to see In Solitude, I imagine having them there would round the sound off more; you've got two bands playing extreme metal, and then a heavy metal band and an occult band.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 am 

Gah, this sucks. I missed seeing them when I had the chance, but it'd seem now I've lost that forever. :grumble:

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:38 am 

Subrick wrote:
I think one of the reasons In Solitude got on the tour was because Erik Danielsson is an open and professed fan of them. As for The Devil's Blood, I'm not sure why they were on it.

For the same reason In Solitude was on the tour.

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:14 pm 

The Devil's Blood is no more. As of the 22nd of January 2013 The Devil´s Blood has returned into nothingness.

It has been a while since the announcement of our disbanding was made and we feel now is the right time to convey our plans for the legacy that TDB will leave.

Our music and artwork will remain available through both our own website and that of Ván Records as well as any other medium that will prove suitable.

At the time of the group’s disbanding there were several projects ongoing, each in different evolutionary stages. These were the following:

1. “III: Tabula Rasa or Death and the Seven Pillars”
A new, full length album with 7 new songs, for which only demos were made. Originally intended for a winter 2013 release. Artwork by Manuel Tinnemans

2. “66:2”
An acoustic EP with one new piece of music and 2 covers. Studio recordings unfinished. Originally intended for a release at Roadburn 2013. Artwork TBA.

3. A live DVD. Not yet edited or mixed. Originally intended for a release somewhere 2013/2014

4. Several live recordings. Not yet edited or mixed. Originally intended for use as live records, B sides and compilation material.

It is our desire to make all of this material available as it is right now. These recordings will be mixed and mastered by Pieter G. Kloos at the Void Studios in Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Nothing will be altered, re-recorded or added to the music.

We are currently working towards realizing this goal and a release date for items 1 and 2 looks to be 30th of April. This is still tentative. For the other items no immediate plans have been made but they will be released when the time is deemed right.

Upon the release of the album and EP, SL will be giving a limited amount of interviews in which he will be answering questions regarding the end of the band, the current state and future of the legacy of The Devil’s Blood etcetera. This will be the last time SL will be available for comment on the subject of The Devil’s Blood. After this point he will only focus on his future spiritual and artistic path. Interested parties should get in touch through our record label, Ván Records. Only serious candidates need apply.

-SL & F

The Devil's Blood - 2007 / 2013

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 pm 

And you asshats can suck it. These guys were great and had ridiculous potential.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:22 pm 

They could've been the first mum doom band to record a mediocre album instead of the usual terrible ones!

Quote:
After this point he will only focus on his future spiritual and artistic path. Interested parties should get in touch through our record label, Ván Records. Only serious candidates need apply.
:ah-ha:

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:53 pm 

Wait, what? They were working on all this fuckload of stuff, and decided to simply end the band and abort everything, and now they're planning to release and charge money for all that unfinished material? o_O

Anyway, I wouldn't get too upset for having missed their tours - give it some time and a reunion will be announced. That's pretty much the standard procedure nowadays.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:20 pm 

Luckily the gig they were going to play in Finland wasn't cancelled fully, because Absu and Behexen were on the bill too. Primordial is replacing The Devil's Blood, so can't complain!

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 pm 

As far as I'm concerned you got the best end of the deal by far!
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next